Forum Settings
Forums

Do you rate your favourite anime a 10 or not?Why?

New
Oct 5, 2018 9:20 AM

Jan 2018
As the title said.

For me is no.According to my own rating system,there is a difference between a Masterpiece and a favourited anime.Here's the difference:

+Favourite:An anime that has consistent quality but doesnt have its moments to be a masterpiece (because it's comedy,Slice of life,....)

+Masterpiece:The show maybe a little inconsistent but has the moments to be a masterpiece.(for example :Steins;Gate has a slow start but gets better and better later on).

That's how I think,how about you guys?Discuss.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 5, 2018 9:24 AM

May 2018
Not.
There is a difference between what I like and what I value.

There is even stuff that I respect and score high but don't actually like.
Oct 5, 2018 9:25 AM

Sep 2014
alshu said:
Not.

Pretty much this. Just because I really like something personally doesn't mean I can't recognize flaws in it.
Oct 5, 2018 9:28 AM

Feb 2018
I only rate based on enjoyment and I only gave my favorite show a 9/10.
Oct 5, 2018 9:29 AM

Apr 2018
No cause even tho the enjoyement that the anime gave me play a big role in the rating i gives to it but "objectivity" based on my standards still plays a role during the rating process (the importance of the role of objectivity depends on the anime tho)

enjoyement still matters the most
Oct 5, 2018 9:34 AM

Jan 2013
If it's my favorite then it's 8-10. If it isn't my favorite it can be an 8 but not 9-10.
Oct 5, 2018 9:34 AM

Feb 2018
alshu said:
Not.

But if you don't enjoy it or like it. You shouldn't rate it high at all.
Oct 5, 2018 9:35 AM

May 2014
If I think it deserves a 10, then yeah I do.
Oct 5, 2018 9:36 AM

Apr 2017
For me my favorites are all ranked 10, otherwise they couldn't be favorites if they didn't have the quality (and enjoyment that goes along with it) for it.

However not all 10 ranked shows are necessarily my favorites. There would be shows which I ranked 10 since they are objectively that good, but I may not consider them favorite in true meaning of the word.

There are some shows that I have special relationship with that may not be 10 rated, but I would not really consider those my favorites. It would be things like "First anime I ever watched" may not have been a masterpiece, but I do have a special relationship with it as a result. But it would not make it a favorite either.

For me favorites are best shows that I watched that left a lasting impression on me. If we go by that definition, they have to be 10 rated. Also I would disagree that there can't be 10 rated slice of life or comedy anime, as you are implying. There are certainly anime in those genres that I would consider masterpieces.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it may not be so inaccurate to say all anime I ranked 10 are actually my favorites, even if some less so than others. So second paragraph may be somewhat inaccurate instead :D
MrZawaOct 5, 2018 9:45 AM

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Oct 5, 2018 9:37 AM
Jul 2018
Obviously Yes. My Favorites anime of all time, has been scored by me with a 10.

Boku No Pico Instead , with 20, since it's the Ultimate Masterpiece.
Oct 5, 2018 9:42 AM

Oct 2014
I don't give anything a 10, i personally don't think they exist. My favorites aren't based on what makes an anime a 10 or near it either, it's something that can substitute my world for theirs, or kick my heart in the dick, then it's a favorite.

That isn't to say i don't include that in my ratings either, just everything has its draw backs, and that's okay.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Oct 5, 2018 9:49 AM

Jul 2014
Just because my favorites are listed doesn't mean they're masterpieces, plot may not be up to par or certain characters irk me...
Oct 5, 2018 9:53 AM

Jul 2017
No, because there's a difference between a masterpiece and what I enjoyed a lot.
Oct 5, 2018 9:54 AM

May 2015
An anime doesn't have to be a 10 to be a favorite. Every anime has flaws. But if it's good enough for me to not give a damn about its flaws, then I'm giving it a 10.
Oct 5, 2018 9:56 AM

Jul 2017
I used to have a favorite that has the score of 5
all the anime in my favorites are the ones that I am currently enjoying watching (suit up my taste) and can learn and explore the most of (evoke the most feelings and thoughts of me)
there are quality anime that are rated by 9 on my list and still I would never put them into my favorites because they are not up to my taste
Oct 5, 2018 10:00 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
At best it gets a 9/10
To this day I haven't found a single "ultimate" anime / "masterpiece".
Each anime I've watched so far has its flaws.
Oct 5, 2018 10:02 AM

Aug 2017
yeah really my favorites list is filled with anime I think is some of the best anime has to offer
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2018 10:02 AM

Feb 2017
A 10 doesn't have to be perfect. Nowhere in the definition of a masterpiece is it written that it can't have any flaws, masterpieces are just works that are extraordinarily outstanding. People are free to use whatever criteria they feel are appropriate to judge art. You can make a difference between one of your favorites and what you consider to be a masterpiece, but you can also view both as being the same. Personally I consider some of the works I didn't give a 10 to still be masterpieces (like Blame or Kozure Ookami).
thizlasOct 5, 2018 2:33 PM
Oct 5, 2018 10:13 AM

May 2018
Zachhh said:

Because?

I don't see a reason why you opinion should be more valid than mine.
Oct 5, 2018 10:13 AM

Mar 2017
my favorites are masterpieces you cant change my mind
Oct 5, 2018 10:16 AM

May 2013
No, I don't rate my favourites a 10 every time. I am only concerned with which anime become my favourites.

The rating assigned to it is reflective of how enjoyable the show was on a whole, despite its shortcomings.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 5, 2018 10:22 AM
A Monster

May 2018
It would be a yes for me. The reasons are that I connected with the main character and the story line was outstanding. Every episode was great and i even bought collectibles from that anime
"Never Give Up Without A Fight" By Zuko
Oct 5, 2018 11:40 AM

Oct 2012
Trying to guess the objective artistic value of an anime is pointless (source experience) so I intentionally rate stuff coming from my own perspective. If I rate something low that means it failed to appeal to me, not that it could not have any value to anybody. If I rate something 10 it's because it effected me on a personal level, which is basically the most I could ever ask from a piece of art.
Oct 5, 2018 11:48 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah i rate my favorite anime's a 10 theirs only 4 that have a 10 witch are the 4 in my favorite i rate mine on how much i enjoy them
Oct 5, 2018 12:40 PM

Aug 2012
Depends. My favorites aren´t always that perfect, but if them met my requirements, I give a 10.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Oct 5, 2018 12:45 PM
Jul 2018
yes
they are my favourite for a reason and they deserve a 10
Oct 5, 2018 12:49 PM

May 2009
Boobsftw said:
Do you rate your favourite anime a 10 or not?Why?

For me is no.According to my own rating system,there is a difference between a Masterpiece and a favourited anime.Here's the difference:

+Favourite:An anime that has consistent quality but doesnt have its moments to be a masterpiece (because it's comedy,Slice of life,....)

+Masterpiece:The show maybe a little inconsistent but has the moments to be a masterpiece.(for example :Steins;Gate has a slow start but gets better and better later on).

I do not use a separate quality/"masterpiece"/etc. rating. My ratings are solely based on how much I enjoyed/appreciated the series. After all, that is the purpose of anime, isn't it? :P

That said, I don't use a 10, because of the way I have mapped my five-point rating scale to a 10-point scale.

1 = hate
3 = dislike
5 = meh
7 = like
9 = love
and the numbers in between are filled in as desired.

I could have used 10 and omitted 1. Maybe I'll do that in the future. Who knows.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 5, 2018 12:56 PM

Feb 2018
alshu said:
Zachhh said:

Because?

I don't see a reason why you opinion should be more valid than mine.

I didn't even say my opinion is more vaild lol I just mean what's the point of rating a anime a higher score even through you didn't like it yourself.
Oct 5, 2018 1:10 PM

Aug 2018
It depends on several aspects, for example Neon Genesis Evangelion and Fullmetal alchemist Brotherhood are my two favorite animes and also I considered masterpieces both of them and I give them 10.
On the other hand I also give 10 to Serial Experiments Lain because I truly think it is a masterpiece but Lain it's far from being one of my favorites animes.

Also I give 10 to A Place Further Than The Universe because it's a personal favorite but I know it is not a masterpiece.
Oct 5, 2018 1:20 PM
Sep 2018
Yes, it is few very well deserving of it and more, specially considering the notable impact they've had

To echo what have also been said, they are my favorite for a reason afterall
Oct 5, 2018 1:21 PM

Apr 2014
yeah i find a difference between a masterpiece and favorite too. some of my favorites have 9's and a lot of my 10s arent favorites.
Oct 5, 2018 1:23 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I don’t score any anime a 10 because there is no such thing as a perfect anime
Oct 5, 2018 1:23 PM

Jun 2017
My favorites are the anime that I deeply connected with but 10/10 is something that I enjoyed the most/max. There is a little difference for me at least
Oct 5, 2018 1:53 PM

Jan 2016
I don't see any other reason to not rate my favorites a 10. I mean it's my favorites for a reason. I'm not gonna do this complicated mental gymnastics people seem to do to conclude that their favorites are somehow not masterpieces because of arbitrary standards. That's foolishness tbh. I know what I value and want. I ain't got time for that BS.
ethotOct 5, 2018 1:57 PM
Oct 5, 2018 2:02 PM
Apr 2017
yes
look, if i feel it i give it
anime is made to be enjoyed
Oct 5, 2018 2:03 PM

May 2018
Zachhh said:
I just mean what's the point of rating a anime a higher score even through you didn't like it yourself.

The point is that scoring is evaluation of qualities. You are putting more weight on enjoyment and I am putting less. So why are you telling me to use your method instead of mine?
If this is helpful to you it's not working for me.
This kind of bias is not practical for what I am using MAL for - a remainder for animes and their qualities.
Will remember the enjoyable ones without lists and scores.
alshuOct 6, 2018 2:58 PM
Oct 5, 2018 2:07 PM

May 2018
this is a very difficult question. i am not sure how to solve this.

for example yamada kun and comic girls were very enjoyable to me and one of my favorites. on the one hand i would give them a 10/10 but on the other hand their story and setting would objectively not be more than a 7/10. maybe a good 6. characters und comedy i would give a 9/10. in the end they got a 9 because they were really great to me.

but than i get a guilty conscience because a rated death note or code geass as 8s of 10 which are in every aspect better than the two above except of enjoyment.
Oct 5, 2018 2:14 PM

Aug 2012
Sure, there has to be a benchmark after all.
Oct 5, 2018 2:17 PM

May 2018
ResKori said:
afg1930 said:
this is a very difficult question. i am not sure how to solve this.

for example yamada kun and comic girls were very enjoyable to me and one of my favorites. on the one hand i would give them a 10/10 but on the other hand their story and setting would objectively not be more than a 7/10. maybe a good 6. characters und comedy i would give a 9/10. in the end they got a 9 because they were really great to me.

but than i get a guilty conscience because a rated death note or code geass as 8s of 10 which are in every aspect better than the two above except of enjoyment.

Well that's where you need to draw a line.
Question. What is your standard model of rating shows?
Is it to give them objective rating or is it to give them subjective rating based on how you feel about the show. Pick one, discard the other. Having both creates confusion in your list.

the most of the animes i've watched, i gave them objective ratings. but their are a couple of exceptions. those two above plus karakai jouzo are some which come to my mind but there are not many other exceptions. but yes you are right because this is confusing to my list :')
Oct 5, 2018 2:20 PM
Aug 2016
No, actually my highest rating for an anime is 8
Oct 5, 2018 2:21 PM

Aug 2018
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I only rate 10's as a joke. There's no such thing as a perfect anime. Every anime has it flaws.

The highest I'll go ever for my favorites are 9's, wich is still 'Great'
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Oct 5, 2018 2:23 PM

May 2018
Based said:

no offense but you have watched over 300 animes and spend a lot of time while doing it. your mean score is a 4.3. most of the anime you have watched you rated a 4 (bad) or worse. why do you even watch that amount of anime. this is not understandable to me.
Oct 5, 2018 2:28 PM
Aug 2016
afg1930 said:
Based said:

no offense but you have watched over 300 animes and spend a lot of time while doing it. your mean score is a 4.3. most of the anime you have watched you rated a 4 (bad) or worse. why do you even watch that amount of anime. this is not understandable to me.

Despite my low scores, I enjoy watching anime just like anyone else ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Just because I rate something low doesn't mean that I dislike anime overall, but hey, go off anyway
Oct 5, 2018 2:44 PM
Aug 2011
Boobsftw said:
As the title said.

Well I have 1600 things on my completed list, and it's getting unmanageable. A huge percentage of my shows had been scored with scores of 6-8, and that doesn't really help differentiate things. Which ones are really more worthwhile than others? My highly clustered scores were not taking advantage of the 10-point-range to express that, at all.

So I'm switching to something like a normalized distribution / quota system, to maximize the amount I differentiate different shows. Basically i'm working on having a set % of scores in each number. For example, 2% of my 1600 shows will be "10"s (and the same for 1s, the system will be symmetric). I'm not claiming that those are "objectively 10s" because I actually think trying to ascribe *objective* meanings to the scores is kinda missing the point. Points systems are abstract. My "10s" means "these are the standout things on *my* list".

The advantage of this quota system is that when I find new exceptional shows I need to re-evaluate the existing shows and think about which ones are really standout and which ones are more ordinary, then pick an ordinary one and bump it down a notch. Another rule I implemented is that with few exceptions, sequels/second-seasons are capped at 7/10. The reason I did this is that I sort by score, and use the 8-10 band when looking for anime to recommend to others, so this forces me to select only unique series for the 8-10 quotas. Plus, you're rarely getting the same experience by watching a sequel as you got by watching the initial series that introduced you to the world and characters: Mushishi is brilliant 10/10. But ... Mushishi 2 is just the same deal. It's still brilliant, but i have it at 7/10 so I can reserve a higher slot to showcase some other notable show.

IDK, maybe other people think this is a dumb idea, but with so many things I watched I needed some rules to make it manageable.
cipheronOct 5, 2018 2:49 PM
Oct 5, 2018 3:02 PM

Jan 2016
@ResKori All I'm gonna say is if your favorite isn't something you highly value(to treat it as a masterpiece or near it), there's something wrong here. Hence, why I call it mental gymnastics. There shouldn't even be a dichotomy between what you love and what you find good in the first place.
Oct 5, 2018 3:09 PM

Jun 2015
No because my ratings are spread out to be more useful. But I wouldn't call a favorite something I don't consider very good, so pretty much everything 8 and above is a favorite of mine.
Oct 5, 2018 5:36 PM
Aug 2011
Lunilah said:
I don't give anything a 10, i personally don't think they exist. My favorites aren't based on what makes an anime a 10 or near it either, it's something that can substitute my world for theirs, or kick my heart in the dick, then it's a favorite.

That isn't to say i don't include that in my ratings either, just everything has its draw backs, and that's okay.

I'm looking at the ratings in your graph, and you have almost nothing above 8 or below 5. So, what you've effectively done is just compressed your entire scoring system (bar some very rare exceptions) into a highly compressed four point scale. There's no real justification for highly compressing your scores like that then claiming it's somehow "more discerning" or something like that. you're basically just capping everything at 8 rather than making a decision about which of the 8s are better or worse.

The idea that "10" animes don't exists is pretty silly. A rating system is necessarily calibrated against what actually exists. 10 is the top animes, 1 is the worst animes. If you want a level that doesn't exist then that's 11 or 12, because 10 is *by definition* the goodness of the best animes out there. The numbers are completely arbitrary. If you just arbitrarily say that the best anime is a "9" then how does that *actually* demonstrate having more "taste" than someone else who defines the best anime as being a "10". In fact, the person giving *some* 10s is using an additional point on the scale compared to you, so they are in fact capable of giving more nuanced scores. In fact, since you only really seem to use the range of 5-8 for your shows, someone making full use of the 9 and 10 slot is using 6 quality-ratings compared to your general use of 4 quality-ratings.

Refusing to give high scores just gives the illusion of being discerning. The extreme end is the parody of the guy who only gives 1/10 for all shows, but grudgingly gives LOGH 2/10. That's not "discerning" because that person is not in fact demonstrating that they have the ability to assess the shows that they come across. Sure, that's the extreme parody, but it is in fact what people do when they deliberately reduce their scoring range. The opposite of giving everything 1/10 is not in fact to give everything 10/10: those are in fact both two sides of the same coin (a complete lack of ability to discern relative quality but for different reasons). The opposite of both is in fact to spread your scores among as many rating-levels as possible, because that forces you to make more hard decisions about how things rank relative to each other.
cipheronOct 5, 2018 6:00 PM
Oct 5, 2018 5:37 PM

Nov 2017
Not all of them. But the anime I've rated 10/10 are in my favorites so yes. I can't imagine rating them so highly and not having them in my favorites. But my favorites are just titles I immensely enjoy anyway
Oct 5, 2018 5:59 PM

Jul 2015
alshu said:
Not.

This is exactly what I'd say, if someone hasn't already said it.
Oct 5, 2018 6:12 PM

Sep 2018
It’s a maybe from me, because a good portion of my favorite anime are given a 10, but not all. And even the ones with 10s I still believe have flaws, but were outweighed with the good. I don’t consider myself to be a fantastic critic, but I think I’m at least able see the difference between a masterpiece and a piece of garbage. I just don’t analyze or think too hard about my scores, they’re probably based off of enjoyment.
If it made me feel something and it’s not shitty it’s getting a 9 or 10 okay
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

self-suff-des - 40 minutes ago

15 by TsutanaiFuun »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

124 by Matt_MurD0CK »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 8 hours ago

20 by tmoverbeck »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

34 by MasterTasuke »»
14 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 2 hours ago

3 by VeryRedBags »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.