Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 5, 2018 3:12 PM
Sep 2017

Afloo said:
I'm Mexican.

And to the various people who said Germany... your countries have all gotten representation in G Gundam - America, France and Germany are particularly notable for having major supporting characters from there. And of course who could forget the gloriously named Tequila Gundam? (Which is the Mexico representation)

I'm British, so it does happen from time to time, but the two most notable ones in my mind are (once again) G Gundam, and of course part 1 of Jojo.

...on the subject of mecha, America got some representation in GaoGaiGar (with some of the supporting cast based there), and France got a bit in GaoGaiGar FINAL.
Oct 5, 2018 5:31 PM

Dec 2015
I'm from Argentina.

The most common reference about my country is football (soccer), for example, Maradona, Messi or just my national team.

But there are more animes which are placed in my country, have a character from there, or just mention it.

I just only know an anime placed in Argentina:
Haha wo Tazunete Sanzenri (Marco, From the Appenines to the Andes), a classic.

Animes with at least one Argentinian character:

Uchuu no Senshi (Starship Troopers - 1988): main character.
Starship Troopers: Invasion (2012): main character.
Gundam Build Fighters
Terra Formars
Giant Killing
Area no Kishi
Captain Tsubasa
Inazuma Eleven
Ginga e Kickoff!!

Animes with at least one reference about Argentina (culture, sports, name, people):

Uchuu Kyoudai
Soccer Fever
Kuuchuu Buranko
Pretty Rhythm: Aurora Dream
Pretty Rhythm: Dear My Future
Z/X Ignition
Asobi ni Iku yo!
Samurai Flamenco
Grisaia no Kajitsu
Stratos 4
Darker than black
Gochūmon wa Usagi Desu ka?
K-ON!
Dears
Sugar Sugar Rune
Prison School
Nichijō
Dragon Ball Z (Goku dancing tango, lol).

I'm goint to stop here, but there are a lot more.
Oct 5, 2018 7:16 PM

Sep 2018
from the philippines and i only know how sucy manbavaran from lil witch is filipino

shame it didnt actually get mentioned in the show, just her basic character design and name

sucy = susi/key
manbavaran = mambarang/witch

her broom's a walis tambo which is the general broom made here

other than that, there were these 2 hentai i read from amano shinunta that mentioned shabu (a drug from here) and one character moving to a philippine branch of their company lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2018 8:06 PM
Jan 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Time to mention this thread again:

Anime set in Central/South/Latin America (or fictional analogues)?

I live in the United States, but specifically a place that has a good deal of kinship with the Latin American world.

Of course, me being in the United States also means this applies:

Also, @blumenbalt -- Michiko to e Hatchin.

madarchod said:
I am from india and although i don't know the name of all the anime series which has mentioned India or has an indian character in it but there are some who i do know about and those are,

Apart from that their are many mentions to different indian gods in many big anime series like Naruto
You can add Sky Girls and Element Hunters to this list. Though I gotta ask, is "Aisha" a known given-name in India, at all?

Also lol @ your username.
in

ooh someone who finally understood his username , well not many people understand hindi here else i would have tried to roast him a while back.
Oct 5, 2018 8:30 PM

Nov 2016
TARDISES said:

Afloo said:
I'm Mexican.

And to the various people who said Germany... your countries have all gotten representation in G Gundam - America, France and Germany are particularly notable for having major supporting characters from there. And of course who could forget the gloriously named Tequila Gundam? (Which is the Mexico representation)

I'm British, so it does happen from time to time, but the two most notable ones in my mind are (once again) G Gundam, and of course part 1 of Jojo.

...on the subject of mecha, America got some representation in GaoGaiGar (with some of the supporting cast based there), and France got a bit in GaoGaiGar FINAL.

You just got me thinking what if Tequila Joseph Piloted the Tequila Gundam. That would be a deadly Combo IMO
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2018 8:56 PM

Dec 2016
The only time I've seen my country (Chile) being mentioned in an anime has been in Captain Tsubasa where the soccer players both refer and employ a famous soccer movement called "chilean".

Also one of the Seven Marine Generals in Saint Seiya has a chilean origin xD but it is never explicitly stated in the anime.
Oct 5, 2018 8:57 PM

Sep 2018
i’m from the US and well
anime references the US a lot. i mean fucking obama was in osomatsu-san. lots of english native characters in anime as well like patty from lucky star. not much to say on my end.
Oct 5, 2018 9:06 PM

Dec 2013
Afloo said:
I'm Mexican.

The Only Anime where I have seen my Country mentioned is JoJo part 2. Thats why its is the best jojo part.

There is a Half-Mexican character in Bleach (Sado). They show part of his backstory in one episode.
Beautiful flowers, too, eventually wither and fall. That's the fate of all living beings.

Winning today is not enough to win tomorrow's battles.

Oct 5, 2018 9:17 PM

Dec 2015
I'm from Belgium and encountered a whopping two references to my country already, the Belgian waffles in K-On and the entire story of Flanders no Inu. The latter is literally based on a Belgian classic.
Oct 5, 2018 9:43 PM

Jul 2014
To this day I have seen 9041 episodes of different anime, so far 0 mentions of my country lol (Dominican Republic).
Oct 5, 2018 11:15 PM

Feb 2015
im an america so a pretty good number, about half the cast of black lagoon, roy focker from macross was american, a good chunk of the world masterpiece theater titles were adapted from classic american literature, a few of the supporting cast in death note are american.
Oct 6, 2018 2:22 AM
May 2016
Malaysian here.

It's not really a well known southeast asia country compare to Indonesia, Thailand and Philippines but if I remember there are quite few reference in anime.

In Nichijou, Yuuko use some word/phrase in malay language such as selamat pagi (good morning), selamat tinggal (goodbye), selamat malam (good morning) and sepak takraw (a traditional malay game). This might also count as Indonesia's reference though since both language are similar in some ways.

In Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou there's a scene where they play ping pong and kinda like with quiz stuff, then one of the character mention Malaysia twice as answer to country with crescent moon.

I'm not really sure about this one but if I remember, there's a small scene of Malaysia stamp in Hyouka.
ichimatsupfpOct 6, 2018 2:26 AM
Oct 6, 2018 2:24 AM

Jul 2015
Poland, I don't remember it mentioned in any anime but in one manga that I've read one of the characters said that someone likes to tell jokes with Poland.

It's better this way.
A little lonelier,
but better.

delivery x last.fm
Oct 6, 2018 2:44 AM

Apr 2010
I'm from Israel, and I saw it was mentioned only in Fullmetal Panic, both times in relation to army. Yay...

Oct 6, 2018 2:58 AM

Apr 2018
xnvrk said:
Poland, I don't remember it mentioned in any anime but in one manga that I've read one of the characters said that someone likes to tell jokes with Poland.

I'm from Poland too and there are some references to our country in anime. For example, in Code Geass: Boukoku no Akito some scenes took place in Warsaw and there was even showed National Stadium. Also in the main story of Code Geass some characteres from Poland were mentioned if I rememeber well.
Another example is Fate/Zero where Natalia Kamiński appeared in Kiritsugu's story. It hadn't been said that she was Polish but definitely she had Polish roots.
I bet there are more references and probably I don't remember all that I've watched.
Oct 6, 2018 3:12 AM
Dec 2013
I'm from England and all these anime:

Unbreakable Machine-Doll
Princess Principal
Mahoutsukai no Yome
Black Butler
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood

are set in England.

There's also tons of English characters in other anime.
wildhoodOct 6, 2018 3:16 AM
Oct 6, 2018 3:30 AM

Oct 2014
I am From the Netherlands here and I have to say this.

Despite being a popular vacationspot for Asians (Just look at the tourists in major cities) and being neighbors with England and Germany, THE ONLY ANIME I KNOW THAT REFERENCES HOLLAND IS VIOLET EVERGARDEN......

Oh and there is Hetalia but I doubt that The netherlands is in the anjme adaptation of it.

If you guys have seen other References to the Netherlands then pls lemme know...
Oct 6, 2018 5:28 AM
Mar 2017
I'm from Bangladesh!!
My Country was mentioned in Gintama!
Oct 6, 2018 5:34 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
[quote=_MushiRock11_]
RihanD said:
I'm from Bangladesh!!

Oh hey, I’m from Bangladesh too.
Was it really mentioned in Gintama?
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 6, 2018 5:37 AM

Mar 2018
Bourmegar said:
I am From the Netherlands here and I have to say this.

Despite being a popular vacationspot for Asians (Just look at the tourists in major cities) and being neighbors with England and Germany, THE ONLY ANIME I KNOW THAT REFERENCES HOLLAND IS VIOLET EVERGARDEN......

Oh and there is Hetalia but I doubt that The netherlands is in the anjme adaptation of it.

If you guys have seen other References to the Netherlands then pls lemme know...
Samurai Champloo episode 6, it was about a Dutch guy who wants to live in Japan and they even had some Dutch voice actors
poop
Oct 6, 2018 5:40 AM
Mar 2017
[quote=_MushiRock11_]
_MushiRock11_ said:
RihanD said:
I'm from Bangladesh!!

Yeah,I exactly don't remember the episode No. but it was mentioned in the Gintama Silver Soul Arc S2.
Oct 6, 2018 5:49 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
[quote=RihanD]
_MushiRock11_ said:
_MushiRock11_ said:

Yeah,I exactly don't remember the episode No. but it was mentioned in the Gintama Silver Soul Arc S2.

Oh right, that’s shocking! Pleasantly shocking, actually.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 6, 2018 6:09 AM
Nov 2016
Alpha_Knight_0 said:
Invidioso said:

Germany is full of mentions.
Joker game was the last Anime i saw that did mentioned Germany..

yah , thats true , even i remember so many germany mentions , not to mention that snk paradise island is based on german city(or something like that , was what i once read)
xShinigami3125 said:
I am from Germany and my country and fellow citizens are constantly being mentioned in anime and manga but usually just the very cliched exaggerated version of us people abroad know.
Overlord with Pandoras actor for example ( I just watched a clip of that).
Lot of German mentions in anime. Go watch monster everything is based in Germany and everyone except the protagonist and 2-3 people are German it has some of the German history too if I am not wrong.
Oct 6, 2018 6:13 AM
Nov 2016
Indian here
I've seen Indian characters here and there like in planets and there was one more that I don't remember but mostly India is shown as a dirty place or where there are a lot of sages. P.s the MC visits India in charlotte
Oct 6, 2018 6:17 AM
Nov 2016
[quote=AnaaClaraFP]
Afloo said:
I'm Mexican.

The Only Anime where I have seen my Country mentioned is JoJo part 2. Thats why its is the best jojo part.
watch Hajime no ippo. Mexicans receive a whole lot of fame for their jabs and whole lot of top positions are acquired by Mexicans. The world champion of the protagonist's weight class is a Mexican who is shown as a prodigy and that guy is cooler than the other side of the pillow, his name-Ricardo martinez
Oct 6, 2018 6:19 AM

Feb 2018
KOROSHIYA said:
Alpha_Knight_0 said:

yah , thats true , even i remember so many germany mentions , not to mention that snk paradise island is based on german city(or something like that , was what i once read)
xShinigami3125 said:
I am from Germany and my country and fellow citizens are constantly being mentioned in anime and manga but usually just the very cliched exaggerated version of us people abroad know.
Overlord with Pandoras actor for example ( I just watched a clip of that).
Lot of German mentions in anime. Go watch monster everything is based in Germany and everyone except the protagonist and 2-3 people are German it has some of the German history too if I am not wrong.

Yea I have seen monster and most if not all of it takes place there and almost everyone is a german. That's why it was really weird for me to hear the names of all these cites etc pronounced in such a weird way.
Oct 6, 2018 6:29 AM

Nov 2015
Another native of the Philippines here..

So far, I've seen some places in our country actually scarily accurately depicted in Charlotte.
In Assassination Classroom, a very short song has the country in the lyrics, sung by Koro-sensei himself.
One side character in Robotics;Notes also mentions it once.

One stretch:
Date-a-Live has a character once saying "Mahal kita" which means "I love you". The sentence is in Tagalog, one of the official languages in the country.
AX3MOct 6, 2018 6:32 AM
Oct 6, 2018 6:29 AM

Apr 2014
I've only seen the Netherlands referenced in 2 shows, those being Cowboy Bebop (Who did it really well, with a character that actually spoke our language well) and D.Gray Man (Which had mountains and shit in the netherlands, so that wasn't as good).
Oct 6, 2018 9:59 PM
Nov 2016
madarchod said:
I am from india and although i don't know the name of all the anime series which has mentioned India or has an indian character in it but there are some who i do know about and those are,

Shokugeki no soma
Arslan senki
darker than black
Berserk
D gray man
Hayate the combat butler
Black butler
Space brothers
Taboo tattoo
Code geass
Black lagoon
Terra formars
danmachi(light novel)
Hetalia
Kobayashi san's maid
Eureka seven
Jojo's bizarre adventure(don't know the exact season)

Apart from that their are many mentions to different indian gods in many big anime series like Naruto
such a wonderfull username you have got
Oct 7, 2018 5:04 AM

Dec 2015
Georgia.
The first 15-20 minutes of Gyakusatsu Kikan movie is set in Georgia. I even recognized some of the landmarks lol
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 7, 2018 5:19 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
My country was never referenced in anime lol
Oct 7, 2018 7:00 AM

Apr 2017
Amurrica here. Gunsmith Cats takes place in Chicago.
But Mad Bull 34 is my favorite, set in an exaggerated NYC full of prostitutes, corrupt officials and eccentric villains with military grade firepower.
Oct 7, 2018 7:28 AM
Sep 2017
Afloo said:

You just got me thinking what if Tequila Joseph Piloted the Tequila Gundam. That would be a deadly Combo IMO

We have our winner of the next Gundam Fight, folks.

G Gundam again. With the Nether Gundam, which has what is possibly the greatest design of the entire show /s
Oct 7, 2018 3:20 PM

Jan 2017
EfiChan said:
I'm from Israel, and I saw it was mentioned only in Fullmetal Panic, both times in relation to army. Yay...

Israel is also metioned in Infinite Stratos. The last episode of Active Raid the enemy on a plane is reading a hebrew magazine.
Oct 8, 2018 1:16 AM

Apr 2010
KamijouToumaIB said:
EfiChan said:

Israel is also metioned in Infinite Stratos. The last episode of Active Raid the enemy on a plane is reading a hebrew magazine.

First or second reason? I watched only the first.

Oct 8, 2018 1:18 AM
Jul 2018
havent heard an anime mention New Zealand, not suprised though, its just a small island in the Pacific with less than 5 million people living there
Oct 8, 2018 1:19 AM

Jan 2016
never heard Lithuania mentioned in anime, well I guess you can count that Hetalia has Lithuania as a character.
Oct 8, 2018 1:38 AM

May 2016
Hatred said:
I'm from Greece
i don't remember all the mentions anime have made for my country nor the anime titles
there was one in fma:b iirc
the mentions usually have to do with ancient greece

You are right, the mentions mostly have to do with ancient Greece.
Some anime tent to use some Greek words, anime such as Tokyo Ghoul and as far as i know, in Fate series, some of the characters are made based on their ancient Greek reputation.
There was also a reference at Mykonos island in Episodes 30 and 31 of Ashita no Nadja :)
Oct 8, 2018 2:21 AM

Sep 2017
Arkab said:
The only time I've seen my country (Chile) being mentioned in an anime has been in Captain Tsubasa where the soccer players both refer and employ a famous soccer movement called "chilean".

I don't know if that counts as a reference since the name for the move is 'overhead kick' in the anime, and also its called Pele kick or bicycle kick. Yeah, it sucks, even Peru has references in anime :(

Oct 8, 2018 8:48 AM

Jan 2017
EfiChan said:
KamijouToumaIB said:

Infinite Stratos Season 1 Episode 10 at about 14:45 in.
Oct 8, 2018 9:13 AM

Apr 2010
KamijouToumaIB said:
EfiChan said:

Infinite Stratos Season 1 Episode 10 at about 14:45 in.

Well, I didn't notice it... Oh well...

Oct 8, 2018 9:20 AM

Nov 2017
EfiChan said:

Hey! look what I just found XD

Pokemon: "Kadabra is modeled after Jewish psychic Uri Geller (he actually sued Nintendo over the character). In addition, the legendary trio in Ruby/Saphire are modeled after creatures from Jewish mythology. And according to the nonsense ramblings of the Saudi Arabian government, ALL THE POKEMON ARE JEWISH PROPAGANDA!1!1!" - https://myanimelist.net/featured/1885/Oy_Vey_10__Jewish_Characters_in_Anime

I am also from Israel!
היי וזה :)
If you are reading this I hope something good happens to you today! :3
Oct 8, 2018 9:25 AM
Jun 2016
I'm from Denmark, and I've seen 2 references so far: Food Wars(Alice explaining where her mother is from, although I saw a clip from the Dub where she said it was her mothers homeTOWN, smh), and Detective Conan, since they had an episode set in an amusement park that were a copy of our Tivoli. Oh yeah, the opening to Dropkick on my Devil mentioned "royal Copenhagen", which is a famous company based here.
Oct 8, 2018 9:27 AM
IHaveTrashTaste

Aug 2013
From Bulgaria. My country was mentioned in Black Lagoon and D.Gray-Man. Also Sword of the Stranger used bulgarian folklore music. And of course Hetalia.
Oct 8, 2018 9:29 AM

Apr 2015
Akatsuki no Yona has a bunch. Well, more than a bunch actually.

Oct 8, 2018 9:30 AM

Jan 2017
madarchod said:

Shokugeki no soma
Arslan senki
darker than black
Berserk
D gray man
Hayate the combat butler
Black butler
Space brothers
Taboo tattoo
Code geass
Black lagoon
Terra formars
danmachi(light novel)
Hetalia
Kobayashi san's maid
Eureka seven

Didnt know that there were so much mentions of India. Guess i have to pay more attention from now on.
Oct 8, 2018 10:19 AM

Aug 2015
silent_knight98 said:
madarchod said:

Shokugeki no soma
Arslan senki
darker than black
Berserk
D gray man
Hayate the combat butler
Black butler
Space brothers
Taboo tattoo
Code geass
Black lagoon
Terra formars
danmachi(light novel)
Hetalia
Kobayashi san's maid
Eureka seven

Didnt know that there were so much mentions of India. Guess i have to pay more attention from now on.

Well,the sole reason why i choose this name was because their were not many people who knows the meaning of this word as majority of the users here speak english as their native language not to mention that their are already quite few indians on this site and even among them not all speak or knows Hindi.So far the only ones who have been able to find out the meaning of my username apart from indians are pakistanis and nepalis(desis)

P.s, i forgot to mention few other anime series which has mentioned india like Charlotte,Haikyuu and Emma
Oct 8, 2018 10:53 AM
Aug 2017
I don't think I have seen any anime besides hetalia that mentions Norway...
Oct 8, 2018 1:51 PM

Dec 2016
ElneFasto said:
Arkab said:

I don't know if that counts as a reference since the name for the move is 'overhead kick' in the anime, and also its called Pele kick or bicycle kick. Yeah, it sucks, even Peru has references in anime :(

Oh, I see. I don't really care about the soccer world so I'm really ignorant when it comes to its history (tbh what really interested me in the show was the melodramatic aspect, not so much the game itself) so I just happily assumed the dub was correct when naming the move.

But the SS general's Chilean origin that's in fact true xD
Oct 8, 2018 2:00 PM

Aug 2018
holysauron said:
I'm from Belgium and encountered a whopping two references to my country already, the Belgian waffles in K-On and the entire story of Flanders no Inu. The latter is literally based on a Belgian classic.

Pretty sure that were about our chocolates in the second season, though. But you're indeed right about Nello & Patrache. Most people nowdays here don't even know the story. In Hoboken you often see some asians vists the Nello & Patrache statue taking pictures of it.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?

Dije - 11 minutes ago

2 by Cestlavie_ »»
4 minutes ago

» MAL Frieren fans, let's settle for the best couple

epsilono - 41 minutes ago

4 by Grecefar »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime Time Capsule

eli_shmeli - 6 hours ago

16 by Adnash »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Who is the hottest anime mom? (beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - 11 hours ago

13 by zckfox »»
28 minutes ago

» Anime characters you find attractive that many people won't agree with

IssyBoy - Apr 13

41 by 0arche »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.