Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 5, 2018 4:44 AM
Aug 2018
Personally, I feel like I cannot rate movies and series on the same scale or list. I think that movies and TV series are very different; they have different budgets, different production, different target audiences and different messages and goals and are watched at a different pace with a different mindset. I have put off rating any movies on my list since it just doesn't feel right to compare them to series.

What do you guys think?
Oct 5, 2018 4:47 AM

Oct 2010
I feel that I can't list them in the same category, but I don't think rating is a problem. The number/scale rating is detached enough from the nature of the elements it evaluates, it can be used for everything. I mean, "good", "bad" or "great" may not mean the same for a movie or a series, but they still can be used on both in their own ways.
Oct 5, 2018 5:13 AM

Feb 2018
I rate solely based on enjoyment so that's not a problem for me.
Oct 5, 2018 8:51 AM
Jul 2018
i can't rate movies and tv series on the same scale either
movies are a completely different experience
Oct 5, 2018 8:58 AM
Jul 2018
I want a Boku No Pico Movie ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 5, 2018 9:17 AM

May 2018
They're not the same thing, that's for sure, but sure they can be compared, I mean, a film can be a great 2 hours and a series can be bad no matter how many episodes it has, or vice versa. Anime films are executed better for me and can do so much more with their limited time frame, but I don't really like them over TV series. As for ratings, it's not a problem at all with me, I don't have two seperate sets of how I rate stuff for films and series, I apply the same logic to a rating of film, but again, it's different, though I can't quite put my finger on how.
Oct 5, 2018 9:55 AM

Jul 2017
I don't really like comparing in the first place.
Oct 5, 2018 6:17 PM

Jan 2017
Invidioso said:
I want a Boku No Pico Movie ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You got it bro, its even better than BnP...it's called 'Otokonoko Delivery'.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/34659/Otokonoko_%E2%99%82_Delivery

You're welcome.

Oct 5, 2018 6:29 PM

May 2009
H31NST31N said:
Can you compare TV Series with Movies?

Personally, I feel like I cannot rate movies and series on the same scale or list. I think that movies and TV series are very different; they have different budgets, different production, different target audiences and different messages and goals and are watched at a different pace with a different mindset. I have put off rating any movies on my list since it just doesn't feel right to compare them to series.

What do you guys think?
I disagree, since I rate everything on how much I enjoyed/appreciated it personally.

For some videos that are very, very short, such as 15-second shorts (e.g. Kochin-Pa!) or several-minute music videos (e.g. Shelter), it may be difficult to really assess how much I enjoyed it, but in that case, if I just ask myself "did you enjoy it?", the answer might probably just be "meh", or I might not even have an answer in which case I simply don't bother rating it. I mean, I don't actually need to rate everything, do I? (Answer's no, in case it wasn't clear.)

Budgets and production processes don't affect my enjoyment (directly); I largely ignore information about them before I watch a thing.

Target audiences are also meaningless because the question I am asking is "how much did I enjoy it?", not "how much would someone else enjoy it?".

Similarly, the "messages" and "goals" and "pacing" are all according to my own experience of it, so there's no ambiguity wherein I might attempt to discern what others think of a work. In fact, not even what the creator(s) think of a work is important beyond just post-watch trivia.

I will say that I often find that movies are more capable than half-hour episodes of covering an in-depth story arc, but are less capable than a full series at presenting a setting and then telling a full-size story within it. In that sense I do have some bias toward two-cour series, but one-cour series don't really seem much different from a movie in terms of the kind of storytelling I can generally get from each.

As for the ratings themselves, I usually only rate stuff that I actually have a specific opinion on. For example, I don't have an opinion on Evangelion Death and Rebirth that's distinct from the TV series, so I just rated the TV series and not Death and Rebirth. On the other hand, I have a (rather strongly negative) opinion of End of Evangelion, so I rated that. If a movie forms part of a series I might also rate it the same as the rest of the series if all I have is one overall opinion rather than something distinct to each part; I've done this for multi-series/multi-season works.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 5, 2018 6:40 PM

Apr 2018
I rate everything based on my level of enjoyment however long it may be. It doesn't matter whether it is a series of several hundreds of episodes or a movie or a music video of few minutes.
Oct 6, 2018 2:04 AM
Aug 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
H31NST31N said:
Can you compare TV Series with Movies?

What do you guys think?
I disagree, since I rate everything on how much I enjoyed/appreciated it personally.

For some videos that are very, very short, such as 15-second shorts (e.g. Kochin-Pa!) or several-minute music videos (e.g. Shelter), it may be difficult to really assess how much I enjoyed it, but in that case, if I just ask myself "did you enjoy it?", the answer might probably just be "meh", or I might not even have an answer in which case I simply don't bother rating it. I mean, I don't actually need to rate everything, do I? (Answer's no, in case it wasn't clear.)

Budgets and production processes don't affect my enjoyment (directly); I largely ignore information about them before I watch a thing.

Target audiences are also meaningless because the question I am asking is "how much did I enjoy it?", not "how much would someone else enjoy it?".

Similarly, the "messages" and "goals" and "pacing" are all according to my own experience of it, so there's no ambiguity wherein I might attempt to discern what others think of a work. In fact, not even what the creator(s) think of a work is important beyond just post-watch trivia.

I will say that I often find that movies are more capable than half-hour episodes of covering an in-depth story arc, but are less capable than a full series at presenting a setting and then telling a full-size story within it. In that sense I do have some bias toward two-cour series, but one-cour series don't really seem much different from a movie in terms of the kind of storytelling I can generally get from each.

As for the ratings themselves, I usually only rate stuff that I actually have a specific opinion on. For example, I don't have an opinion on Evangelion Death and Rebirth that's distinct from the TV series, so I just rated the TV series and not Death and Rebirth. On the other hand, I have a (rather strongly negative) opinion of End of Evangelion, so I rated that. If a movie forms part of a series I might also rate it the same as the rest of the series if all I have is one overall opinion rather than something distinct to each part; I've done this for multi-series/multi-season works.

I agree, if you rate everything solely based on your own enjoyment of it, it makes things a lot easier. But I rate things according to the review guidelines, where enjoyment is but one of the criteria. So instead of rating how much I enjoyed something, I rate how good or bad I believe it was.

Because of this, I feel like I actually want two separate lists: one for anime series and one for movies - where I can fairly compare series with other series without the chance of any unfair comparisons.
Oct 6, 2018 2:49 AM

Aug 2018
Wouldn't be a fair comparison imo. The budgets are different for one thing and tv shows have a longer time available to flesh out characters and more intricate plots. So i compare movies to other movies and TV shows to other TV shows
Oct 6, 2018 3:43 AM

May 2009
H31NST31N said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

I agree, if you rate everything solely based on your own enjoyment of it, it makes things a lot easier. But I rate things according to the review guidelines, where enjoyment is but one of the criteria. So instead of rating how much I enjoyed something, I rate how good or bad I believe it was.

Because of this, I feel like I actually want two separate lists: one for anime series and one for movies - where I can fairly compare series with other series without the chance of any unfair comparisons.
Well, how do you decide how "good or bad" you believe it was?
Oct 6, 2018 3:45 AM
Jul 2018
sure u can compare them, but u have to remember that movies tend to have a bigger budget, allowing for better animation quality. So i dont think u should compare them in terms of animation.
Oct 6, 2018 3:48 AM

Jul 2017
I don't like movies so much as I do series in general. And I enjoy Anime series more than Anime movies
Oct 6, 2018 3:48 AM

Feb 2013
yea ever since before mal, i had a separate list for movies and tv, and i still keep this tradition in my excel list

though the philosophy behind rating might be similar, an 8 movie and an 8 tv are still different or something like that it's hard to put into words
Oct 6, 2018 10:41 AM

May 2013
Man, why too much concern between something being a movie or series?

Use simple logic : If you enjoyed the living shit out of a movie or series, give it a 10. If something makes you rewatch certain episodes and still you never get bored of it, give it a 10.

If you want to be more nuanced (Assuming you had a fantastic time with an anime) - consider all flaws of a movie and/or show, and compare it to how much you enjoyed it despite it being flawed. If you think something could have been done better, dial down the rating to a 9.

If you think the ending could have been improved upon or backstories could've been fleshed out more etc etc, drop the rating down to an 8, and so on.

Same logic can be applied to stuff you didn't like.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 6, 2018 2:11 PM
Aug 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
H31NST31N said:

Largely by the criteria given in the review guidelines. So I look at the plot, the characters (and their arcs), the animation, the music and sound as well as my enjoyment overall. I try to rate every criteria as objectively as possible, with the exception of enjoyment, of course.

That said, in some of these criteria, movies and series will be different; movies will mostly get much higher animation rating than series and series will mostly receive higher character rating (due to there being more time to spend on the characters, as mentioned). So I just feel like judging them by the same criteria at all times would be unfair.
Oct 6, 2018 2:56 PM

May 2009
H31NST31N said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Largely by the criteria given in the review guidelines. So I look at the plot, the characters (and their arcs), the animation, the music and sound as well as my enjoyment overall. I try to rate every criteria as objectively as possible, with the exception of enjoyment, of course.

That said, in some of these criteria, movies and series will be different; movies will mostly get much higher animation rating than series and series will mostly receive higher character rating (due to there being more time to spend on the characters, as mentioned). So I just feel like judging them by the same criteria at all times would be unfair.
I understand that you say you're using the catrgories MAL provides in its review framework. I'm asking how you purport to rate "objectively" within those categories.

Based on what you've said so far, it seems your criteria for animation involve animation detail and/or fluidity (based on the presumption that movies likely have more budget to blow on the animation) and your criteria for characters involves fondness for rhe characters and/or level of detail in characterization (which would explain why spending more time with them would improve it).

(But that's because you value these things in your appreciation of the work, right? So that's why I question whether these are really separate from "enjoyment".)
GlennMagusHarveyOct 6, 2018 3:39 PM
Oct 6, 2018 3:30 PM

Feb 2010
Yeah I can but it's always gonna feel a bit off. But I know exactly how my mind works differently when I watch different types of entertainment so it's okay. For example short movies have an easier time getting a 6-ish score from me than a TV Series, but a harder time getting an 8+ score. Movies are kinda similar.

Basically a shorter duration means it's gonna be more towards the middle of the rating scale since it's both harder to really impress me and really disappoint me in such a short amount of time, compared to a longer TV Series. On the other hand Movies have more variety in terms of main elements I enjoy about them. I movie can impress me just with its visuals, while a TV series is usually too long to maintain that if the visuals are the only or main enjoyable part of it. So in some ways movies have it easier, in some ways they have it harder. It's a rather complicated situation.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 7, 2018 3:27 AM
Aug 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
H31NST31N said:

I understand that you say you're using the catrgories MAL provides in its review framework. I'm asking how you purport to rate "objectively" within those categories.

Based on what you've said so far, it seems your criteria for animation involve animation detail and/or fluidity (based on the presumption that movies likely have more budget to blow on the animation) and your criteria for characters involves fondness for rhe characters and/or level of detail in characterization (which would explain why spending more time with them would improve it).

(But that's because you value these things in your appreciation of the work, right? So that's why I question whether these are really separate from "enjoyment".)

I am a peculiar person in that I don't necessarily enjoy what is good.
For example, I might enjoy the story of a series, but upon further reflection, the story might have inconsistencies and/or plot holes. Similarly, I could like a character (because I resonate with them or I like their design etc.) but the character could have a badly written arc or become unimportant.

So I might enjoy these different aspects of a show/movie, but when rating, I try to be as unbiased and objective as possible. My enjoyment definitely influences my overall rating, but the remainder of my criteria are rated based on whether I believe it was well done or not.

In this case where I like a character but he/she isn't really well-written , I would rate the "Character" criteria low, because I feel like my enjoyment of the character should reflect in the "Enjoyment" criteria instead of somewhere where I feel I should be rating the quality of writing/design of said character.

More topics from this board

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

34 by Zimmu »»
2 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

93 by Zarutaku »»
27 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 1 hour ago

16 by Coaghim »»
27 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 3 hours ago

4 by TsutanaiFuun »»
36 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

124 by Matt_MurD0CK »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.