Forum Settings
Forums

Optimal way to refresh yourself on animes you watched long ago in order to watch the sequel?

Oct 4, 2018 10:36 AM

Say you want to watch the sequel for an anime you saw the original of like a decade ago that you have no recollection of, what to do? Are you forced to rewatch the original even if its really long or maybe only watch the recap/summary episodes and hope that does the job? Or do you just go with the wind and pray it all comes back to you during the sequel?

Oct 4, 2018 10:39 AM

I wouldn't call it forcing at least for me.
I do enjoy rewatching stuff I have previously seen, so for me rewatching is not a problem at all and I will probably do that if a series I long ago watched gets a sequel.

Oct 4, 2018 10:39 AM
Slumber

Kyom said:
Say you want to watch the sequel for an anime you saw the original of like a decade ago that you have no recollection of, what to do? Are you forced to rewatch the original even if its really long or maybe only watch the recap/summary episodes and hope that does the job? Or do you just go with the wind and pray it all comes back to you during the sequel?
I actually just watch various AniTubers that recap the anime for me so i'm up to speed again. Or i'll just listen to a detailed review of the series or 2 when it first aired, in the background while i do things. Did both for Steins Gate 0.

Life happens wherever you are,
whether you make it or not.

Oct 4, 2018 10:42 AM

Wikipedia helped me a lot whenever I was in this situation.

Oct 4, 2018 10:44 AM
Slumber

KotziForever said:
Woopsie. Forgot about this one, did a lot of this too for other series.

Oct 4, 2018 10:46 AM

Read episode descriptions on Wikipedia.

Oct 4, 2018 10:50 AM

Nithirel said:
Read episode descriptions on Wikipedia.

lol this is accurate, by reading I get mental replays of the episodes.

Oct 4, 2018 10:50 AM

I have a pretty good memory so everything usually comes back to me when I start watching the sequel.
"I'm alright, because
The warmth on my back
Is from you, protecting me
My bent heart is being straightened out
I feel like I can keep on walking when I see your face
That time, I was able to gather my wishes and jump up
because of your words of encouragement"

Hanamaru◎Andante - Pastel✽Palettes

Oct 4, 2018 11:00 AM
First, how many possibilities are there for that to happen? I would watch the sequel even if the prequel had seen it in my past life.
10 months without animu, and you?

currently trying to figure out how I'll do that with FMP and S;G.

I'd prefer like a recap movie because I don't want to rewatch the whole shows but just reading wikipedia is too dry and boring.

Listen, everybody wants change, don't nobody want to change though
don't nobody want to pray, till they got something to pray for
now everybody's gonna die, but don't everybody live though

Just rewatch it if its that important it wont hurt you pal

Oct 4, 2018 11:11 AM

I feel you have to force yourself it's probably not worth it. but in a situation like that I would usually read the source material to experience the story in a different medium.
Go read the One Punch Man manga please, this awful adaptation by JC Staff is a disgrace.

Oct 4, 2018 11:13 AM

I go on to rewatch the anime depending on how long it is. In hell I'd rewatch FT or One Piece but I could easily rewatch both seasons of SAO :)

Oct 4, 2018 11:16 AM

Lunilah said:
KotziForever said:

Doesn't that kill the experience in a way?

Oct 4, 2018 11:18 AM
Slumber

Kyom said:
Lunilah said:

If you click on my MALGraph, it'll say i've watched 3758 episodes of anime, on MAL it says 7021 because MALGraph doesn't count rewatches. I've literally rewatched almost more anime than i've actually watched.

Oct 4, 2018 11:20 AM

Depends on the show really. Most sequels generally continue off of the last episode of the prequel, so really a quick reading of the summary or even just rewatching the final/final few episodes should suffice. Most of it should come back with mental memory

A lot of shows also have recap episodes (or in Beatless' case like 6) which basically recap all the important points of the show
'On-Hold' is another way for a completionist to say 'Dropped'

Oct 4, 2018 11:22 AM

Kyom said:
Lunilah said:

Not at all. You get all of the information necessary in order to make sense of the plot.

Oct 4, 2018 11:44 AM

if you realy like the anime you might as well rewatch it entirely, exept if it's realy too long.
but if you feel like it's a chore or you only do it to "refresh", then don't rewatch I guess.

Oct 4, 2018 12:01 PM

Personally I just watch the sequel since my memory is solid enough that I tend to remember most of the basics about a series no matter how much time has passed. If there is some really specific piece of information referenced that I forgot about then I'd likely go to Wikipedia.

Granted the time between sequels is rarely that long so it's not really an issue and I've personally never watched a sequel with a decade delay after the original.

Oct 4, 2018 12:07 PM

no idea because i just try remembering everything while watching the sequel

Oct 4, 2018 4:52 PM

How about recap episodes? Those seem to be a thing.

Personally I rewatch if it's not too much work (100+ episodes qualifying as such)

Oct 4, 2018 5:09 PM

Whatever my mood, it's mostly dependent on the show, it's possibilities (recap ep, summary movie etc.) and my own interest in how to recall the anime.
----------

Oct 4, 2018 5:40 PM
</overrated>

Well if you're so inclined to watch a sequel you should probably like the series enough to rewatch it. I mean unless it's ungodly long but still.

Oct 4, 2018 5:42 PM

i usually just watch the last episode of the anime cause it jogs my memory and everything floods back. but if you are having concerns regarding rewatching it then it's really up to you but like others have said, you seem to like it enough to watch a sequel

i dont know if ill ever be enough im throwing in my chips i guess i tend to push my luck

Oct 4, 2018 5:59 PM

Read up on the synopses online. It'll help jog your memory.
6/10 is a positive score, dammit.

Oct 4, 2018 6:46 PM

its good to skim through it at least, maybe read some episode synopsis or something. you dont wanna get caught with your pants down if the new installment is gonna keep making references back to the others

Oct 4, 2018 8:13 PM

Can't you just skip around in the video track of the episodes of the first series? And if you find something interesting you stop to watch it and just let it play.

That's what I do at least.

Oct 4, 2018 8:53 PM

I just start watching the sequel and most of the previous season's stuff would come back to me gradually

Oct 4, 2018 9:00 PM
Master Expander

If it has a recap episode, special, or movie, I'll just watch that. Otherwise, I have a pretty good memory of the anime that I've seen so the sequel will help me remember if I missed anything.

Oct 4, 2018 9:08 PM

I always have 3 options:

Schedule my time and make it a priority to rewatched the prequel/sequels

Read the manga/LN/original source material

Or the easiest and fastest way, read it on wiki but there's a possibility that I can miss some of the details.

I once believed love
would be burning red
but it's golden, like
daylight

ᓚᘏᗢ

Oct 4, 2018 10:57 PM

1) Re-watch the original. Because it's worth it. If it wasn't, I would not be watching the sequel, right?
2) Just don't bother and watch the sequel. They will probably explain everything that needs explaining anyway, for the new generation of viewers.
And chances are, the sequel is going to be different enough from the original that it would be painful to compare them. Like with Zettai Karen Children Unlimited, which got noir all of a sudden.

Oct 5, 2018 2:44 AM

I'd just watch the recap, unless it's something I really enjoyed

Oct 5, 2018 2:47 AM

I'd watch a summary or a recap of the first season if I don't remember it, or skip through episodes using the right arrow button. But I wouldn't call it forcing myself, I'm really eager about re watching stuff if I enjoyed it enough to watch another season.

It's better this way.
A little lonelier,
but better.

delivery x last.fm

Oct 5, 2018 3:54 AM

Just read a description in Wikipedia or you can watch a recap if there's one available.

Oct 15, 2018 12:29 AM

A recap, Wikipedia or the wiki of the show.
Life has no meaning.

Oct 15, 2018 12:31 AM

I just watch the sequel. Things click while watching so i haven't found it a problem. If i get lost, i just refer the wiki

Oct 15, 2018 12:55 AM

Eh I know it’ll sound like a lot, but honestly what I do is read the manga. Helps me to get into the story again (& sometimes get more enthusiasm), or I just watch the next season like that, & whatever I don’t understand I look it up on internet.

Les petites histoires comme toi et moi
Ces amants blessés, ces aimants usés au cœur de la ville.

Oct 15, 2018 3:55 AM

Youtube anime reviews, amvs, clips, summaries etc

Oct 15, 2018 4:09 AM

Kyom said:

Well, there's always Wikipedia. Luckily I've only been doing this shit since 2013.

Oct 15, 2018 4:09 AM

Kyom said:

Well, there's always Wikipedia. Luckily I've only been doing this shit since 2013.