Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Where do you prefer to use MAL or mostly use it ??

Oct 3, 2018 5:59 PM
I can change the site from the mobile version to the computer with just a touch, it does not matter.
10 months without animu, and you?

Oct 3, 2018 6:25 PM

Phosphophilite said:
MechKingKillbot said:

It's nothing groundbreaking statistics wise and some of it is beyond levels of insane, but I collect the following (be warned of some maybe incoherent rambling since it's kind of difficult for me to explain without showing images):

+My particular friends' MAL score (only the users that were associated with the same community I was before I came to MAL...although it isn't nearly enough data) and the scores of those that already told me individually and doesn't have MAL. I use it to then do an all-time rankings of that community based on the shows watched and filter by sample size of >1 and >2. Since there aren't nearly enough people, it isn't really interesting to say the least. Also none of them really watch anime as much as I do. Still, pretty cool to see.

+On another tab, I collect the studio and year the first entry of that "franchise" (my definition) first aired to go along with franchise weighed average rankings. It isn't as clean as MALGraph, but I wanted to do a studio ranking and year ranking of the scores but instead of individual entries, I use the franchise overall score that I assign it. Then if I'm ever bored, I can compare MALGraph to whatever cheap data I have. Also keeping track of the franchise overall scores, I can then compare my MAL average to my spreadsheet average to see how different it would be if MAL were to combine separate entries of the franchises into one. I also don't like how MAL doesn't use decimal ratings so I wanted to see a count of what I have for decimal ranges which you won't be able to see in MALGraph.

+On another tab, I've set goals of each day to accomplish minutes wise. I've seen threads in which say how many episodes you watched the most in one day or something similar to that level and I was never able to answer it which bugged me for some reason. Since episodes vary quite a bit in length depending on what I watch (TVs, specials, OVAs, movies), I thought I would track minutes and episode count at the same time. All I need would be to grab the minutes of that entry. I already have the balance of what I currently have in days, my goal in minutes, what I watch in minutes, raw episode number, converted "episode" number (I use 22.5 minutes as equaling an episode). Each column has the number of episodes where I put the minutes, but this is mostly to count those in that column as an "episode" if it is over 20 minutes in length.

+Type the opening/ending of the anime to get the OP/ED number. I download all openings and endings that I watched, give it a listen and if it's worth saving, I'll keep it in my phone for nostalgia purposes. This becomes incredibly absurd in terms of numbering when you get to something like Gintama with plenty of separate sequels. I think I'm up to ED 34 and OP 28 (hard to say without going to my spreadsheet). My naming convention is the general franchise name (if plausible), so format would be like
[franchise] (an OP #/zee ED #) title of music
This would then go to my playlist in which I am trying now to completely rank all the openings and endings of the ones in my playlist whenever I'm bored or on the bus, which actually makes my stress levels worse sometimes.

+Record the names of my favorite characters and do a best girl rankings for the hell of it for each franchise. Also useful if I want to do a 3x3, top 10, top whatever for certain categories for the fun of it. It legitimately saved me time although I did indeed "waste" time trying to even come up with a 3x3 only to have it change pretty soon.

+For any goal purposes: i.e. if I wanted to do 90% of watching all studios > 100 entries in MAL, watch x amount of TV show length per season per year, etc.

I see.
That's quite interesting.
Do you collect data on mal manually?
If that's the case, then that's impressive.

I collect stats on this website, too. But, I use python to automate all the process.

Yeah i collect them manually since i unfortunately don't have any programming knowledge. It's a little time consuming but the bright side of collecting my friends' scores for instance is that they hardly ever update and i have userscripts that quicken the process.

Now I am curious on what data you collect. I have commonly thought of trying to rank by franchise like what I see in reddit but extend further out or maybe do a franchise comparison through weighted average and then compare with my weighted average. Not knowing how to automatically pull the information is my biggest deterrent in not wanting to do this

Oct 3, 2018 8:03 PM
君を笑いに来た

The only time I use it on my phone is when I don't have access to my computer or want to add a show while using my laptop to watch anime. The page for notifications on mobile is the exact same as the desktop version, and it can be pretty annoying to click on things. Replying to threads and adding BBCodes is just a nightmare.

Oct 3, 2018 8:11 PM

Yeah on the mobile, even if I change the brightness of my screen, my eyes still hurt if sit for too long at my computer.

Oct 3, 2018 8:52 PM
</overrated>

Desktop but I'll update my list on mobile.

Oct 3, 2018 9:02 PM

I use both, though whenever I want to write anything I prefer a computer.

Oct 3, 2018 10:04 PM

computer...
- a lot easier when i searching some topic on forum
- easier to set my list
- hpku spek kentang
The MC Guy Dont deserve the best Girl.

Oct 4, 2018 1:00 AM

Definitely computer. It's easier to maintain and the mobile version makes it hard for me to move around.
Also, signatures get squished and don't look as pretty on mobile.
But sometimes I go on mobile to quickly answer messages when I'm out.

It's better this way.
A little lonelier,
but better.

delivery x last.fm

Oct 4, 2018 1:02 AM

This poll is not exactly fair as we don't have an option for both.
Talk is cheap, show me the code.

Almost is not good enough.

Oct 4, 2018 5:51 AM

usually just desktop. only use mobile for searching up shows quickly when i dont have access to desktop

Oct 4, 2018 7:44 AM

Phosphophilite said:
MechKingKillbot said:

Yeah i collect them manually since i unfortunately don't have any programming knowledge. It's a little time consuming but the bright side of collecting my friends' scores for instance is that they hardly ever update and i have userscripts that quicken the process.

Now I am curious on what data you collect. I have commonly thought of trying to rank by franchise like what I see in reddit but extend further out or maybe do a franchise comparison through weighted average and then compare with my weighted average. Not knowing how to automatically pull the information is my biggest deterrent in not wanting to do this

I see. What formula do you use to calculate weighted mean?
Also, as long as the information is publicly accessible through html, I think I can write python web scrapper. If you need help, I might be able to make one if I have free time…

I collect data from anime page (like rank, members, genre, favorites… ect), and I use those data to predict the score that I'll likely to give to my PTW, dropped, and on-hold.
It's useful when I need to see if I dropped some show that I have high chance of enjoying, and also when I want to see if some PTW that are unlike to be enjoyable for me.

Just an hour ago, I finished making the fully automated app that can do data collecting and score prediction in one click :)

Damn. That's advanced. How successful would you say this has in predicting your score vs your actual score? Once you get this fine tuned, if you haven't already, are you going to use it to actually only watch shows that have you predicting a minimum score of what you consider worth investing your time to in an anime?

I appreciate the offer. I'm going to read up on this Web scrapping to see if it's something I could do first (did prior "coding" on mods from a game before) since I rather not you use up your free time (will especially feel guilty if it's time intensive). I will ask questions if I get stuck at the very least :p. The concept of trying to fetch data automatically from each relevant anime entries' specific URL into an excel document seems like there's going to be an huge amount of coding needed.

Sounds awesome. Is their a computer version?
Modified by MechKingKillbot, Oct 4, 2018 7:51 AM

Oct 4, 2018 8:55 AM

Mobile MAL is complete ass, always request desktop version.

Oct 4, 2018 8:56 AM

I mostly use it on my iPhone, but I prefer using it more on my iPad and laptop because of the desktop form more often than not.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 4, 2018 9:44 AM
I personally use the mobile web version because I'm on my phone most of the time

Oct 4, 2018 9:45 AM

FMmatron said:
Always mobile, even tho it's annoying with longer posts.
Never crossed my mind you use your phone I definitely though you were an all time pc lol.

Oct 4, 2018 10:07 AM

I still believe the third party MAL apps are better than the official one due to lack of feautures

Oct 4, 2018 10:39 AM

When talking about the main feature (the list), I prefer to use MAL on mobile when I could use PocketMAL. Since the site finally came back up the API is the last thing they have to fix so I've had to use the MyAnimeList official app. It's not terrible but it could stand to add a few features and sometimes my list gets randomly reordered. However when talking about MAL in general outside the list you really only can use the desktop site to do things like access forums and articles and stuff.

Oct 4, 2018 10:51 AM

MechKingKillbot said:
I prefer and use MAL mostly on the computer. Can't collect the data and input them in spreadsheets efficiently on a shitty mobile device. If I have to use mobile, I use the desktop version of the site

Same here. I have an obsession with data analytics and I make a ton of spreadsheets. I find MALGraph is very useful for this, too. But I've been getting better at coding to try and get a spreadsheet to pull data automatically from a site, or else I will (happily) spend hours imputing it manually, for which the desktop site is preferable.

Phosphophilite said:

I collect data from anime page (like rank, members, genre, favorites… ect), and I use those data to predict the score that I'll likely to give to my PTW, dropped, and on-hold.
It's useful when I need to see if I dropped some show that I have high chance of enjoying, and also when I want to see if some PTW that are unlike to be enjoyable for me.

Yeah, this is the kind of stuff that I do using MALGraph (for me as well as other people). I also tend to enjoy combing through the MAL database and making ridiculously comprehensive spreads comparing popular and high-ranked series
Modified by ISOQuorra, Oct 4, 2018 11:00 AM

Oct 4, 2018 11:19 AM

Mobile version is pretty damn bad compared with the desktop version.

I don't even like to visit MAL from my cellphone, on it the mobile version looks cheap and unfinished but on the desktop version forces you to zoom in and out every time you want to do something, if I want to do something other that modify my list I have to use my laptop.

Oct 4, 2018 11:23 AM
The Dub Queen

Desktop Version on Mobile Device..

Oct 4, 2018 11:25 AM
Chocobo

Originally mobile (site) but my phone started being a jerk and would reboot sometimes while I was in the midst of writing a post. Usually particularly had it out for me when I was writing very long posts too... naturally that got under my skin more and more.

Now, PC only. Sometimes I'd check from the "MALClient" mobile app (android) but that doesn't work at the moment I believe (The whole API thing.). I think it works for lists only at the moment. Last time I recall using the app was when I got a notification from the app that I was mentioned in a post while I was in bed/not on PC.

Oct 4, 2018 11:27 AM

I feel like I saw a similar thread before.

Anyway, I use my laptop, but not just for MAL, maily for anything when I'm home.
If I'm not home, I use my phone, but don't use it for MAL, usually for social media like FB and Insta, or for listening to music.

Oct 4, 2018 11:57 AM

I sue both but I mostly use my PC to update my list and enter the Forum.

"The more popular an anime becomes, the larger the fan base becomes. The larger the fan base becomes, the more weirdos are in the fan base. The more weirdos with louder voices..." -NuxTaku, 2019

Oct 4, 2018 12:34 PM

I use MAL on PC when i wanna talk on the forums, but i mainly use the mobile version to quickly update my list whenever i need.

Oct 4, 2018 1:19 PM

My computer is water damaged. Lol

So I use mobile. I did both. Did.

Feeling: Happeh
Watching: Inuyasha
Eating: Two eggs w/maple, two hawaiin toasts w/ strawberry jelly & butter
Drinking: Coffee w/ sweet cream & ground cinnamon
Reading: The Wizard's Daughter

Oct 4, 2018 1:28 PM

I'm the sick kind of person that doesn't use my phone to browse the internet. If I have nothing better to do while away from home I just stare out in the distance. Like an absolute psychopath.

Oct 4, 2018 1:32 PM

Use the desktop site on mobile. Mobile site is trash.

FINALLY XX YOU OUT
feels so good to forget ya, i've become someone better

Oct 4, 2018 1:36 PM

Desktop only, as I do not own any mobile devices.

Oct 4, 2018 1:50 PM
still right here

I'mma say the obvious
Desktop at home
Mobile while away
But always with the desktop site, the mobile set-up is trash

what have i become my sweetest friend
everyone i know goes away in the end
you could have it all my empire of dirt
i will let you down i will make you hurt
if i could start again a million miles away
i will keep myself i would find a way

interview quiz

Oct 4, 2018 2:03 PM
Cake, Baby ♥

I prefer it on computer. It's so impossible to navigate around on mobile. Sometimes I get so frustrated with the mobile app that I just pull it up on chrome -and then I end up closing it out altogether and waiting until I'm at a computer.

FruitPunchChinpo said:
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned repeatedly.

Oct 4, 2018 2:22 PM

I definately prefer using my laptop for mal.

Oct 4, 2018 2:55 PM

I don't really care.

When I'm at my computer I use my computer. When I'm not at my computer I use my phone.

Although, I think everyone would naturally prefer a computer for its easy navigation and "keyboard compatibility".

Oct 4, 2018 3:55 PM

computer because u can actually do stuff on it. If i have no choice but to view it on mobile then i use the desktop version

Oct 4, 2018 4:29 PM

100% computer version. It's much more viable.
Even on my phone I always set it to the desktop version, just a lot easier to access.

Oct 4, 2018 6:10 PM
oof

I usually use my computer.

I also use mobile to update my list whenever I watching anime on my phone.

Oct 4, 2018 6:13 PM
Meme Master

I use a desktop PC exclusively, with a 17" monitor.

Oct 4, 2018 6:40 PM

SadMadoka said:

I use a desktop PC exclusively, with a 17" monitor.

A 17" monitor looks a bit too small on a desk but still okay if it serves the purpose.

Surprisingly, a 15" screen doesn't look small on a laptop.

Oct 4, 2018 6:48 PM
Meme Master

azulakina said:
A 17" monitor looks a bit too small on a desk but still okay if it serves the purpose.

Surprisingly, a 15" screen doesn't look small on a laptop.

It's fairly close (less than two feet away from my eyes), so I wouldn't want anything larger at that distance. In fact, it sometimes feels too large when it's this close. Oh, and that's just the size of the screen. The enclosure around it makes it a bit larger.

Oct 4, 2018 6:53 PM

definitely prefer to use my laptop.
I'm using my phone rn, I always do request desktop site though because I don't like the mobile version.

Oct 4, 2018 6:55 PM

SadMadoka said:

It's fairly close (less than two feet away from my eyes), so I wouldn't want anything larger at that distance. In fact, it sometimes feels too large when it's this close. Oh, and that's just the size of the screen. The enclosure around it makes it a bit larger.

Huh

I have a second hand 23" which I have not been having trouble with so far so good.

Oct 4, 2018 7:07 PM
魔王

computer is easier for me, i've posted in the forums and replied to comments on
mobile before and it was a struggle.

「 花 」

your absence has gone through me
like a thread through a needle — &
everything is stitched with its color

former forum sets ; favorite manga

Oct 4, 2018 7:12 PM
粉ミルク♡

PC it's a way faster to browsing mal tbh.

Oct 4, 2018 9:24 PM

pc only... no phone

hate the wierd interface..... for forums or list.

use it to chk anime info smtimes... but prefer not to

Oct 4, 2018 10:03 PM

PC all the way. Mobile MAL is so inconvenient.
My condolences to KyoAni #PrayForKyoani

Oct 4, 2018 10:06 PM

I use it on my phone. Either the desktop version on web or i use the app.

Oct 4, 2018 11:26 PM
I Mostly use MAL on my phone because I'm too lazy to open it on my laptop
Tetra

Oct 5, 2018 1:06 AM

I got pissed that I didn't this poll fair and forgot to mention what I use.

I use MAL from both mobile and phone may be in like 50/50 share.

Actually, I have noticed that you have trouble quoting a post from phone - once you qoute a post, the submit and cancel buttons disappear at some point as you type.

But, I dunno, maybe it's only on my phone.

Oct 5, 2018 1:21 AM

This site is suitable for desktop/PC

Unless they make an app for mobile

Oct 5, 2018 1:57 AM

I sometimes use mobile version for quick database searching and post checking.

But updating your list, posting threads and replying comments, PC all the way.

Oct 5, 2018 2:26 AM
👌

I’m on mobile for convinces sake.

who really reads these

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »