Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 3, 2018 8:30 PM
May 2007
kyoudai said:
Inugirlz said:

Oh I didn't realize that at all. Lemme re-check that last scene.

But yeah, as super interesting as a development like that would be, i doubt it. It's probably just one of those schools that used to be all girls and is slowly transitioning into co-ed.

Then again.... maybe that would explain why he was so shook every time Haiji walked in on him in the washroom. He might be trans...would also explain why he was so surprised at the end that he knew.

Right, could be, since it's not likely that Kakeru is trans. Heck, I might even be missing the intonation and it could be "brewer's high school" (醸成高校) if such a thing exists (idea for groundbreaking new anime here! cute high school girls learning to make sake! /slaps self) instead of "girl's high school" (女性高校). The translator left it as "josei".

Glad to know that you've already seen this ep so we can debate best boy later. ^_~

That's a translation error. It's actually "josai" (仙台城西高校).
Oct 3, 2018 8:51 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
Shadow-Chan said:
Ah, gotcha, thanks. I wasn't even paying attention to what was said, only the text. I knew better than that, but I was multitasking at the time. :-/
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Oct 3, 2018 10:14 PM

May 2013
I found some of the running scene animations looked extremely gimpy. Almost like whoever was animating it had no idea how someone that supposedly has good running for would look when running. Don't get me wrong, in other scenes it looked pretty good, and the bike scene animation was obviously great, but sometimes the running animation looks like an incredibly awkward half jog.

All the being said, it seemed like a pretty straightforward introductory episode, and we'll just see how it turn out. I actually kinda like the run down inn vibes that their dorm has going for it. Feels very cozy (hole in the floor aside).
Oct 4, 2018 1:03 AM

Jan 2012
It was a an okayish first episode in my opinion. I didn't mind the straight way used to introduce all the characters considering the huge cast, even though I would have preferred a more natural introduction of their personal characteristics, for example during the party or even in later episodes.
This episode has also raised my scepticism about the story telling, because of the same reason mentioned by @TheServant:

TheServant said:
Though I am still worried about writing quality overall. Especially with how the first episode's handled the storytelling order, it's weird that they decided to tell it a bit out of order when there's nothing to be had there. There's no interesting revelation because of it, there's nothing evocative. It would've been the same if they told it in chronological order.

The not chronological order didn't add anything to the atmosphere.Initially, it confused me due to the time lap and when I thought that it was done to save time, the scenes were shown anyway.
Oct 4, 2018 1:27 AM
Jan 2016
basilhater said:
The not chronological order didn't add anything to the atmosphere.Initially, it confused me due to the time lap and when I thought that it was done to save time, the scenes were shown anyway.

Exactly. & I am afraid that style of storytelling was not from the original source & just the screenwriter trying to be clever. I am not saying that the original source is better, but he's not exactly the kind of screenwriter that I want to be experimental. I mean, have you seen his screenwriting track record?

Raines said:
Anime of the season right here.

Easy there. Do not get too excited just from the premiere.

LocalTrashcan said:
My only complaint is the fact the episode seemed pretty faced-paced, but other than that it was pretty good.

What's "faced-paced?"
Oct 4, 2018 4:59 AM

May 2017
LocalTrashcan said:
My only complaint is the fact the episode seemed pretty faced-paced, but other than that it was pretty good.

What's "faced-paced?"[/quote]

Sorry. I meant to say fast-paced.
Oct 4, 2018 6:08 AM

Jan 2016
Just passing by to tell that the ED is really good. that is all.
Oct 4, 2018 7:44 AM

Sep 2011
I really liked this first episode!

I knew that I could expect something good since the source is a novel, and the setting wasn't the saturated high school one; but this start was even better than what I expected, and it's looking gorgeous too!

I really liked the main characters, and I can't wait to know more about their circumstances. The rest of the cast is nice too, and I love stories with twins so this is also a plus for me. Oh, and I really liked the OP, and the ED too!
Oct 4, 2018 8:37 AM
Jul 2018
The way that minimalistic music kicked in towards the end was soooo good. Reminded me of Frank Ocean's Endless a bit. Gotta say, best first episode of the season I've seen yet.
Oct 4, 2018 8:50 AM

Feb 2013
At first I am huge fan of the Haikyuu! Series so I am very excited about this anime.

I really enjoyed the first episode but I am scared it just will be a cash grab to all haikyuu! fans that will watch the show because of some hot boys.
It could turn in to something good but also very boring or mediocre.

At least I must say: "THE SOUNDTRACK IS FUCKING AMAZING! JUST LISTEN TO THE LAST OST AT THE FIRST EPISODE THAT PLAYS AROUND 19:05 ITS SO CHILL."
Oct 4, 2018 9:33 AM

Aug 2016
A bit too much chaos in this episode, but I want to wait how it continues :3 Not loving it, but not hating it either
Oct 4, 2018 9:38 AM

Jul 2012
I'm already hooked and sports + college makes it better. The way they introduced the characters was abrupt but yeah other than that the episode was good.

kyoudai said:
Am I the only one wondering why Kakeru went to a girls high school? That seems like a rather intriguing piece of character development to drop in the final few seconds of the episode. Does ep 2 begin with Kakeru's shocking "I used to be a she" confession?? I'm not counting on it, but I'm still curious.

The name of the high school is "Sendai Josei High School" and Josei (助成, if I got the name right) means fostering, assisting, ... also if it's a girls high that would be Joshi Koukou (女子高校)
Oct 4, 2018 1:51 PM

Mar 2010
It's funny how some people had difficulties watching this show. I think everything worked quite smoothly and i was soo positively surprised to find a sport anime i knew nothing about. Too bad manga is not available online..

Jin_uzuki said:
The first half was really a dud, dumping all characters one after another like you are going through a checklist is never a good idea.

ArtG1 said:
Kageyama Tobio, is that you?

It seems like there has to be a Kageyama/Haru look-alike in every sport anime (Yowapeda, prince of stride, DnA, Knb, prince of tennis) lol

I'm so happy someone has drawn a correlation image of all of those characters :D
I think i don't even mind it. Maybe it's a funny quirk of every sport anime. Even Slam Dunk had Rukawa Kaede.

I wonder if there's a similar picture of all the similar characters who have boyish style brown hair and are main characters.. Too many characters to count..
LylaazOct 4, 2018 1:54 PM
Oct 4, 2018 2:47 PM

Jul 2009
kyoudai said:
Shadow-Chan said:
Ah, gotcha, thanks. I wasn't even paying attention to what was said, only the text. I knew better than that, but I was multitasking at the time. :-/

Dang. There goes our hopes and dreams xD
Oct 4, 2018 6:46 PM
EDM ❤

May 2012
Really like how well structured this first episode was, just don't want it to flop like Hanebado!
Oct 4, 2018 7:20 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
Inugirlz said:
kyoudai said:

I dunno... When I listened to it again very closely, it really sounds like "josei", not "josai". Watch those last few seconds again and see what you think.
Oct 4, 2018 7:31 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
Samii said:
I'm already hooked and sports + college makes it better. The way they introduced the characters was abrupt but yeah other than that the episode was good.
The name of the high school is "Sendai Josei High School" and Josei (助成, if I got the name right) means fostering, assisting, ... also if it's a girls high that would be Joshi Koukou (女子高校)

Ack, how did I confuse 女性 with 女子! Yes, you're right that it would be Joshi Koukou. And when I listen to them carefully, 女性's first syllable has a higher intonation... I think?
Oct 4, 2018 7:48 PM

Jul 2013
kyoudai said:
Inugirlz said:

I dunno... When I listened to it again very closely, it really sounds like "josei", not "josai". Watch those last few seconds again and see what you think.

it definitely sounds like "josei" to me, but on the japanese wiki article on the novel, the part about kakeru says "仙台城西高校" which is sendai jousai koukou. the kanji is also the same as josai in aobajosai from haikyuu.
Oct 4, 2018 8:34 PM
Jan 2018
I felt like the character introductions were a little fast-paced. In fact, I felt like the whole episode was fast-paced. However, I can't exactly tell how the writers are wanting this to play out which is awesome. I guess I'll give it a chance, then! Also, here's a pretty good screenshot:
Oct 4, 2018 8:50 PM
May 2007
nymphiae said:
kyoudai said:

it definitely sounds like "josei" to me, but on the japanese wiki article on the novel, the part about kakeru says "仙台城西高校" which is sendai jousai koukou. the kanji is also the same as josai in aobajosai from haikyuu.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%9F%8E%E8%A5%BF
https://www.weblio.jp/content/%E5%9F%8E%E8%A5%BF
I looked more into it and you can read this kanji as jousai or jousei.
Oct 4, 2018 10:11 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
Shadow-Chan said:
nymphiae said:

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%9F%8E%E8%A5%BF
https://www.weblio.jp/content/%E5%9F%8E%E8%A5%BF
I looked more into it and you can read this kanji as jousai or jousei.

So that settles that, then. My apologies to everyone for making a big deal out of it when I should have turned on my brain looked it up before posting. m._.m
Oct 5, 2018 6:14 AM

May 2008
Anyone knows in which city is the show 'located'? I tried to search by this big buddha, but any of japanese cities i know have this kind of statue.
Oct 5, 2018 6:20 AM

Feb 2014
wasnt sure about a running anime but considering how much i love haikyuu thought id give it a go n im already looking forward to ep 2
the music is so good n im intrigued by this haiji guy
Oct 5, 2018 4:59 PM

Mar 2016

An Otokojuku reference! Nice, looks like I've already found best boy.
Oct 5, 2018 5:35 PM

Jun 2013
the OP is good and that ost as well
Oct 5, 2018 8:21 PM

Mar 2017
USQ OP ♥
so far, i really liked the first episode.

But after seeing that most characters are boys, fujoshis are gonna get wild

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Oct 6, 2018 4:09 AM
Dec 2015
I was amazed the first moment I started the ep.
I have watched this ep. five times, and I can't stop lol.
I'm definitely finishing this anime, AND CAN AMY ONE GIVE ME THE OST AT THE END.
Oct 6, 2018 8:34 PM

Feb 2016
If Production I.G made it it betta be hella good

Oct 7, 2018 5:22 AM

Nov 2016
I don't know what happens in the source material, but I hope Truck-kun will stay away from these boys.
Oct 7, 2018 6:22 AM

Dec 2008
So he stole something?
First half was not very good.
Oct 8, 2018 3:11 AM

May 2016
Getting Haikyuu vibes omg and the ed song really good, I always have a thing for shows that have a dorm it makes things much more enjoyable the cast is really well build each with their own characteristics and 22 episodes left hell yeah this gonna be another great half year.
Oct 8, 2018 10:01 AM

May 2015
Jin_uzuki said:
The first half was really a dud, dumping all characters one after another like you are going through a checklist is never a good idea.

ArtG1 said:

It seems like there has to be a Kageyama/Haru look-alike in every sport anime (Yowapeda, prince of stride, DnA, Knb, prince of tennis) lol

Lol love that pic !
Oct 8, 2018 10:08 AM

May 2015
Inugirlz said:
ArtG1 said:

Honestly they didn't have to make him look (and act) so similar. Hell, even the MC from Battery is similar

Lol ikr? Aandd both series are made by the same studio, it's just Tobio as a runner
Oct 11, 2018 1:10 AM
Feb 2009
Animation and art are top notch
Oct 12, 2018 11:35 PM
Jan 2016
The main character really looks like Kageyama from Haikyuu, haha, I think this anime will have a similar aura like another sports anime, with its passion, etc. By the way, the ED is really catchy.
Oct 20, 2018 3:48 PM

Jul 2013
already the best thing i've ever seen
Oct 28, 2018 5:26 AM

Jun 2013
The animation, OP/ED songs and visuals, background music (basically OST lol), characters, seiyuus, etc. were great. I'm so excited for this series.

It's nice hearing Toyonaga Toshiyuki again, last time I heard his voice was in Durarara as Mikado Ryuugamine.

So many potential husbandos in this series. You even got your token black character. He's also husbando material. Art style reminds me of Ballroom e Youkosou with a hint of Free. As expected from Production I.G.

Also, Nira for best dog of the season. Lots of great doggos for this season, I still can't choose my fave.
臭い-
Oct 29, 2018 9:33 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
after watched the first episode, seems interesting, because what looked like a humorous series of students, changed with the last declaration!!! kekeke
Nov 8, 2018 12:49 PM

Dec 2015
Am I the only one who can hear Tsukishima's voice (from Haikyuu) in this anime?? Besides there is kageyama, I can see Tsukishima now, my brain keeps telling me that Tsukishima voice person might be shrewd same as Tsuki but he seems nice (?)
"It's only us pitchers who can prove for all to see that your gamecalling' choices ain't wrong, yeah?" Sawamura to Okumura before their first official practice game as a battery.
Nov 14, 2018 10:12 AM
Sep 2017
Really good first episode, interesting premise. Really fun characters, and JoJo references.
Dec 1, 2018 10:02 PM

Jul 2012
The pacing is a bit everywhere and the character introduction was way too quick but it's not bad so far. I'm in love with the sound and visuals. Hearing my fave seiyuu voice one of the two main characters is a treat too.
Dec 26, 2018 4:42 AM

Sep 2018
The beginning is more than promising, as it was for many productions of the IG Studio. The desire to see it was thanks to the style that reminded me of "Ballroom" and its animation studio. The characters are all interesting and fun, especially the character of Haiji. Very beautiful backgrounds, very fluid animations.
Jan 17, 2019 2:06 PM
Sep 2018
I feel like running now!! I'm going for a run now bc this show is inspiring me.
Jan 19, 2019 6:11 AM
May 2009
Went checking first episode of the anime because I'm an avid runner myself and participated in a couple Ekiden (not the crazy long types like Hakone though but I'd love to).

Absolutely nothing about running there, 8 of the characters probably never ran even, preview of episode 2 doesn't seem to show anything either and the writing seems to imply it's more a character driven series where we'll see each one of them gradually accept going into running after being harassed/coerced by the "always in a good mood character".

I'll give it a few more episodes but the running part, like in many others sports anime, only seems to be there to differentiate it from others guys bonding anime targeting fujoshi audience, I guess it's me that had misplaced expectations from the start, too bad..
Apr 10, 2019 8:15 AM

May 2017
yup this looks good. Sweet juicy animation, interesting characters and a new fresh plot that I have never seen before. I don't need anything else.

Seems like Production I.G is back on 'track' after the mediocre ballroom.

The ending song is extremely good.

Little overwhelmed with the character introductions. I'm generally already bad with names and hearing so many new names at once overwhelmed me.
May 5, 2019 5:52 AM

Dec 2013
Oh, first EP is really interesting. As what OP mentioned, art reminds me of Haikyuu!. So far all the characters were introduced, I wonder how they will develop throughout the series. Haiji is pretty cool tho, but I wonder if the guys will agree to run with him.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

May 8, 2019 3:36 PM

Feb 2013
Interesting start, I can see many rivalries in that apartment.
May 20, 2019 8:33 AM

May 2013
My friend has this ending song in his playlist and it plays at our board game nights and I was OBSESSED with it (still am; it's always my replay song, ironically similar to the title Reset hahaha)

Thought I'd go ahead and watch the anime too :D my first running series, I believe X) I used to go jogging in the mornings with my ex. Maybe throughout this series I'll pick it up again heheh :P definitely was a refreshing hobby to do. Love cardio <3
Aug 1, 2019 4:22 PM
Apr 2016
Interesting first episode I must say. The set up is nice, that's for sure. Never seen a running sports anime yet, so I'm pretty excited.
Sep 5, 2019 5:29 PM

Sep 2018
Full of random people for track and field club lol Haiji is very positive person, I like him.. but still he's a mysterious guy.

And also, they are so thinnnnn!!! I'm scared for their health especially Prince haha

I see Kageyama to Kakeru >,< they have something in common.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2019

210 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2019

84 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 2:52 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 29, 2019

66 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 2:38 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 22, 2019

93 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 2:24 PM

Poll: » Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2019

68 by Mirorin »»
Apr 14, 1:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.