Forum Settings
Forums

Most of the current/old Anime will be forgotten/obsolete by 2030

New
Oct 1, 2018 9:45 PM

Oct 2013
That is my prediction, and the reason why I predict this is because the only reason why some of these 90s and 80s anime are still being somewhat relevant today, is simple because of the 25 to 30+ year old anime fans. By time 2030 comes around most of them will be irrelevant in the medium, for whatever reason, statistically that's going to happen.

Which means by then the new generation of anime fans will be around, in their teens and early 20s, I believe that is the average age on mal today as well, and they won't be interested in watching those 90s anime, 2010 anime fans also are not interested so it's a no chance for 2030 fans, especially because of the outdated art style and animation. Of course we will always have those rare bunch that will watch all the old classic.

Thinking about it makes me kinda sad, because now the 2000s and 2010s anime will be the one filling the boots for the 90s and 80s classic, in the end even the most influential anime will not even be known by majority of these new fans, only ones who are interested will find them in the archives online or on youtube etc.

Funny enough, if I'm around in the medium by then, I can see myself being just like those anime fan that says the 90s/80s anime are better than the current anime. It's a never ending cycle. lol

If you disagree with me, Go ahead and explain.
keragammingOct 3, 2018 10:57 AM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 1, 2018 9:54 PM

Aug 2013
Looking at any other medium, from literature to movies and comic books, there's absolutely no reason to believe such a thing. Of course newer stuff will always be more popular and not everything will always be around (only those with relevant enough cultural impact), this already happens today, but there's no reason the old stuff will completely go out of fashion.
Oct 1, 2018 10:02 PM

Oct 2013
meatbun_ said:
Looking at any other medium, from literature to movies and comic books, there's absolutely no reason to believe such a thing. Of course newer stuff will always be more popular and not everything will always be around (only those with relevant enough cultural impact), this already happens today, but there's no reason the old stuff will completely go out of fashion.

Have you ever watch Astro boy that came out in 1960? Did you know it had a big influence on anime? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnX-0fbXzyA How many people has ever even watched it or know of its impact in the anime medium?

It not only out of fashion, it's almost non existent, and I disagree it is the same for video game and most medium, the only one I can think of that can stay relevant is music. I know it hurts and it is not something most people would want to agree with, but it is the truth.
Oct 1, 2018 10:03 PM

May 2010
keragamming said:

If you disagree with me, Go ahead and explain.

It depends. You are forgetting that those are cel-animated. As long as there is interest in that, they would look at the films and OVAs at the very least.
Oct 1, 2018 10:07 PM
Jan 2016
" . . . statistically that's going to happen." Could you provide the statistic? Elaborate it a bit?
Oct 1, 2018 10:12 PM

Feb 2018
Nah. The dragon ball franchise won't be forgotten lol.
Oct 1, 2018 10:22 PM
Aug 2015
I don't see the problem.
Good animes are good animes, wether they aired in 70's, 90's, right now or in 10 years. 90's animes will still be available.
Yes, they're mostly gonna been forgotten. That's how generations and humanity work. Some pieces of art still survive to the test of time (especially in some mediums), and if they don't, are they really worthy? Bebop and Evangelion aren't nearly as good as the 10's classic imo. They had influence, but the same way old cars allowed us to create Ferraris. I'd rather drive the latter.
Even though the comparison isn't really accurate given that 90's animes are different, and not really "upgraded version". I have to admit they had a particular vibe animes don't have nowadays
TheAskaldOct 1, 2018 10:28 PM
Oct 1, 2018 10:28 PM
Jul 2018
You do have a point OP.. but what if most year 80-70s other than 90-mid 2000s are the ones less obscure and yet to be forgotten

By the time.. year 2030

>Part 7
>Pluto
>Promare
>20th Century Boys (IMO)
>Yotsuba
>More Monogatari Franchise

Only most millennial series were left.. (Well that's just my example)
Oct 1, 2018 10:36 PM

Oct 2013
TheServant said:
" . . . statistically that's going to happen." Could you provide the statistic? Elaborate it a bit?

That is just common sense, animation overall is what attracts young teens, it appleals to them, so there will always be more teens than adults, by time most anime fans reach the age of 30, they either lose interest or simple dont have the time anymore. And dont get me wrong it has nothing to do with anime being for kids only or anthing like that, just telling you that it will attract kids and teens because of how colourful it is.

Zachhh said:
Nah. The dragon ball franchise won't be forgotten lol.

If the franchise continues, certainly.

ProfessionalNEET said:
I'm a fairly new anime watcher (started Feb this year) but I've watched and enjoyed a couple of 90's anime, Serial Experiments Lain (1998) and Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995). While I (as as well as probably most newer anime watchers) tend to prefer newer titles, there will probably always be a few older shows that are be fairly well-known. If you look at any other medium, whether it be books, movies, TV shows, or really any thing else, this is the case. For example, most people have heard of or even watched movies like Casablanca (1942), Gone with the Wind (1939), The Wizard of Oz (1939) among others, even though most people alive today were born years after those movies came out. I don't see why anime should be any different.

I did point out that there will always be people like you, who is interested in watching older series, even if the style is outdated.

I only heard/watch wizard of oz out of the three you mention, there is a hole in your point though, tv was still relevant in those times, back in those days whatever comes on you had to watch it, now with the internet, phones etc no one got time for that.

We the 90s kids were probably the last generation to know of any of those three series because we were there just right before the big change happen when it comes to internet etc.

Go and ask a teenager about any of those series, you would be lucky if you even got 1 teenager out of 100 that know it. They are just different from us, they literally born in the modern technology age.

I don't even think those series comes on tv anymore, and even if so, only the older generation would watch it.
keragammingOct 1, 2018 10:42 PM
Oct 1, 2018 10:50 PM

Jan 2017
ProfessionalNEET said:
I'm a fairly new anime watcher (started Feb this year) but I've watched and enjoyed a couple of 90's anime, Serial Experiments Lain (1998) and Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995). While I (as as well as probably most newer anime watchers) tend to prefer newer titles, there will probably always be a few older shows that are be fairly well-known. If you look at any other medium, whether it be books, movies, TV shows, or really any thing else, this is the case. For example, most people have heard of or even watched movies like Casablanca (1942), Gone with the Wind (1939), The Wizard of Oz (1939) among others, even though most people alive today were born years after those movies came out. I don't see why anime should be any different.

Nice example, funny you mentioned/likened it to older movies. Since April I've actually been on a mission to complete this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years...100_Movies_(10th_Anniversary_Edition) which is largely made up of older movies. I've also been watching other must-see classics beyond this list, as far back as the Battleship Potemkin from 1925 (that's not included on this list as its not 'American' so doesn't make the American Film Institute list). So yes, we historic/classical film lovers are out there!

Oct 1, 2018 10:52 PM

Nov 2017
Anime has mostly lost it's artistic merit's other than a few people like Masaki Yuasa keeping it alive, older anime was different and artistic therefore some people appreciate it more, I never grew up watching older anime but still prefer older anime and I'm still in my teens.

If anime will keep on making ecchi, harem, isekai or shounen 'hype' anime as people like to call it then older anime will never die because they were more artistic and smart. Another misconception by people who have had no idea on how older anime was made is that it had terrible animation, please dismiss this notion you have because ova's and movies from the 80's and 90's actually had better animation than anything coming out today, if given enough time then hand drawn animation can look just as good if not better than digital animation.

Anime today focuses on showcasing more detailed animation styles most people were familiar with where as older anime were more artistic because they focused on showcasing more detailed styles of animation that people were not familiar with at all, they actually experimented with animation as a visually artistic medium of storytelling.
RapidShadowOct 2, 2018 7:56 PM
Oct 1, 2018 11:00 PM

Aug 2018
Well, its difficult to forget some 90s anime like if they were nothing. Eva and Bebop survived 23 and 20 years, respectively, to the past of the time, and now they are seen as cold classics. Like Black Sabbath's Paranoid for Heavy Metal, like Scorsese's Taxi Driver for the cinema or like DaVinci's Gioconda, those two animes (the most popular of the 90s) will be rememembered. You mentioned Astro Boy as an example of how those animes will disappear. Well, Astro Boy provided a really simple idea with really old animation, difficult to enter today. Eva and Bebop are, of course, old, but they stand the pass of time really good, especially Bebop, whose animation looks awesome un every bit. Those shows provide a different approach to the viewer than AB. They have a complex plot, awesome character design and writing.

Of course they will suffer the pass of time, but if they are surely known today, they will be in the next decade.

Others, less known like Trigun, Lain, Utena... I don't know their fate, but I hope they keep their presence as 90s anime representation.
Oct 1, 2018 11:03 PM

May 2017
I hope not. In fact, I would hope Japan keeps that 80’s and 90’s anime in a special place in storage.

Also back in 2010, I think many people said the same exact thing about 90’s and 2000’s anime being forgotten back then. I just don’t think no one paid much attention to it back then.
Oct 1, 2018 11:04 PM
Jul 2018
nah they'll be seen as historical relics and put in animu history museums for future weebs to gawk at lmao
Oct 1, 2018 11:09 PM

Oct 2013
I'm sure there will always be some people who are curious about the older stuff.

I only recently decided to give some 90's stuff a try. Before the oldest thing I'd seen was from 2001.
Oct 1, 2018 11:17 PM

Dec 2017
I mean yeah, I can see this more or less being true for the average viewer. There will always be people who are interested in seeking out quality titles regardless of age such as myself and so classics such as Bebop, Evangelion, Ashita no Joe, etc will never become completely irrelevant, but their relevance will sadly wane over time nonetheless. We can see this happening in other mediums as well. For example, The Godfather is touted as one of the greatest films ever made (which I agree with), most critics and general viewers adore the hell out of it...aaand literally not one of my friends has ever seen it, even though they regularly love to watch movies, but mainly titles that have been released within the past couple decades or so. It seems that within the critical community, classics will always remain pretty relevant, but for the average viewer this is not the case. But hey, this is just based on my own personal observations, so it should be taken with a grain of salt.
NickDenOct 1, 2018 11:21 PM
Oct 1, 2018 11:18 PM
Jan 2016
keragamming said:
That is just common sense, animation overall is what attracts young teens, it appleals to them, so there will always be more teens than adults, by time most anime fans reach the age of 30, they either lose interest or simple dont have the time anymore. And dont get me wrong it has nothing to do with anime being for kids only or anthing like that, just telling you that it will attract kids and teens because of how colourful it is.

So it's not based on any statistic, but it's your own prediction. Next time, please use "statistically" correctly. And I do not think you understand what common sense means. I am sure you will understand it eventually as you learn more.

I think we should end our chat here. Thank you for your time.
Oct 1, 2018 11:18 PM

Jun 2011
I guess I can't really speak on this too much as someone who is older in the community now at only 27. But, I can say I have seen anime that are over 100 years old. And that there is a community around watching super old things. Granted, we don't talk much.

I can't imagine a time when people wouldn't want to watch Kiki's Delivary Service or Grave of the Fireflies and both of those movies are older than I am. People still do Ghibli movie runs and with good reason.

I know people who have under 100 anime who are still watching Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion (and I thought people would stop watching Eva after 2015!).

Currently, I am watching Captain Harlock and that is from the 70's. And people get excited by me watching 70's anime on Kitsu.

I see newer fans become interested in cel work now, and I can't imagine a time when people wont. People still watch old Disney films. I am sure people will always watch Ghibli.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Oct 2, 2018 12:01 AM

Sep 2014
'statistically' what? What do statistics have to do with anything here? And where did you show any? Throwing this word randomly like that doesn't strengthen your point in any way and just makes you look like a retard

Also, you seem to be majorly confused as to believing fans of 80s/90s shows experienced them back then and that's why they remain relevant. That's just untrue, majority of the fans, if they even lived back then, sure as hell didn't watch them when they were 3 or 4.

There is just as much reason for people to watch these in 2030 as there is now. They are recognized classics and word of mouth and internet will make sure they remain relevant among anime fans that are willing to explore the medium. Will they be as popular as the newest anime? Surely not, and they aren't now either. But it's silly to assume they will disappear when it's been shown in other media that the quality stuff outlives garbage even if it's much older. The good, influential or innovative pieces are remembered and often revisited while uninspired crap dies quickly. I'm sure as hell NGE will be commonly recognized for MUCH longer than most of anime from recent years.
Oct 2, 2018 12:11 AM

Oct 2017
Most older series will likely lose popularity over time and plenty will become more obsolete but a few will be remembered regardless of age in the same way as literature, movies and non-anime shows.

Oct 2018
Please be gone, they really have bad art style and hurt my eyes to watch it.
For example, SAO has far better art style, action scene than that boring anime Monster.
The guy just wants to be dead.

Mar 2017
Hopefully Ghost in the Shell 1995 will be one of those forgotten and I can stop hearing about it having such deep themes even though it did virtually no exploration of themes whatsoever that was in any way competent. Nor was it even a good crime thriller at the very least to compensate.

"Subject matter... is a static given. Theme on the other hand is an active exploration of an idea, it's a premise to be explored, a question."

-John Yorke, Into The Woods: A Five Act Journey Into Story

RapidShadow said:
Anime has mostly lost it's artistic merit's other than a few people

That has always been the case or are you going to tell me Flame of Recca and the rest of the forgotten stuff never existed?

This is why we need a Nostalgia Critic for anime, someone to comb through the shitstains of the past and dissect them hilariously for posterity so that for every Sound of Music or Citizen Kane we can throw a Warriors of Virtue, a Cool As Ice, a Steel, a Barb Wire, a A Kid in King Arthur's Court, a Troll in Central Park, a Surf Ninjas, a 3 Ninjas, a Mr. Nanny, a Tank Girl, a Red Sonja, a Quest for Camelot, a Neverending Story 2, a Neverending Story 3, a My Pet Monster, a Ferngully 2, and the Felix the Cat: The Movie for good measure. And that's just the tip of the garbageberg.

RapidShadow said:
as long as smart people who can understand complexity exist older anime will never die.

*hysterical laughter*

Show me the scientific studies that presents this correlation between intelligence and preferring the 90s and 80s and whatnot anime. Because I sure as hell can't see it in this post.

*puts on STEM field elitist hat*

Heck I'll even let you post social "science" non-peer reviewed papers.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Oct 2, 2018 12:12 AM

Aug 2015
Based on your theory all 60s and 70s movies like A Space Odyssey, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Psycho and The Godfather should be already forgotten.
And you think people who are 30 now will be dead before 2030 or what? Why 90s anime will be forgotten? This is stupid.
Oct 2, 2018 12:14 AM

Oct 2013
keragamming said:
Have you ever watch Astro boy that came out in 1960?
Had to like get up at 04.00 to watch Astro Boy on cartoon network as a kid :/

but yeah can see that 90s and 80s anime will most likely be over taken by the shows considered classics in the 2000s and 2010s by 2030
but dont think those shows will be forgotten since anime fans are super dedicated towards pushing people into watching shows they love and the current generation that has been pushed into watching the 80s/90s having enjoyed those classics and will push the next generation into a similar situation. Its just those shows will just have more competition for viewers
Oct 2, 2018 12:18 AM

Jul 2012
Even if we were focusing specifically on a western base I would probably disagree with this. Because using the same logic it would basically mean that anime from the 60s or 70s will be forgotten or obsolete in the next 2 years.
Yet people still actively bring up cases like Ashita no Joe, Lupin and Gundam are all still getting adaptations, Devilman got a lot of hype with Devilman crybaby despite having a 10 year gap between releases, and then you have like the Leijiverse which has movies planned for the next 8 years. It's also not even much of an argument to say that by comparison the 90s specifically were vastly more popular with western audiences so saying they would be obsolete in as early as 12 years is a huge stretch at best. Especially because it basically assumes anime fans just like die or hate anime by the time they're over the age of 30.

You also seem to argue that say kids will be too busy with technology or whatever to have time to go back and watch any classic series, but the fault in that logic is technology is what made anime more accessible and in 12 years it might even be more accessible. Like for the example of Astro boy from the 60s I'd imagine a fair amount of people haven't finished it simply because some episodes may never be available. Even people like me who saw the dubbed variation on say Toonami would have had to both wake up at a really early hour and they only aired 1/3rd of the series.
GamerDLMOct 2, 2018 12:41 AM
Oct 2, 2018 12:20 AM

Oct 2013
We will never know until it comes. But some of the series from 80-90s are still being loved and watched as of today. I think that as a feat.
Oct 2, 2018 12:21 AM
Aug 2018
One must not forget the second generations that is us. and prob it won't be forgotten because there is always teens who watch those classics especially the elitist
Oct 2, 2018 12:28 AM

May 2015
Most of them are already obsolete but I doubt the one considered "classics" will be forgotten. Yes they're popularity will decrease even further but there is always a minority of people who are interested in how a medium became to be and go back to revisit the "classics". Maybe they won't even like it but they will know those anime.

are still being somewhat relevant today, is simple because of the 25 to 30+ year old anime fans
Which I find empirically false because there are fans born in the 00s who watch stuff like Gundam and other vintage anime.
zalOct 2, 2018 12:45 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2018 12:36 AM

Nov 2017
@Eanki when has that always been the case? After the airing of Gundam(and I'm talking about anime) the 80's had a ova boom that made several great works like Patlabor, Angels Egg etc.
The amount of anime that is unique or has tried to be unique has reduced considerably, after the airing of Evangelion we had Serial Experiments Lain, Cowboy Bebop, Utena etc. Shows that would not be replicated since, now shounen, ecchi, harem, romance is dominating literally everything if you check the popularity charts. Actually read my full argument, anime now is focused on showcasing more detailed styles that people are familiar with, anime like your name, or pretty much 95% of anime coming today do that. I do not think you know the meaning of the word artistically impressive please look it up.

People with intelligence will be able to understand the religious symbolism is something like Angels Egg, I also mentioned the word smart for a reason because people who don't like shounen anime or predictable stories will try to look for different stories in anime therefore finding old anime better in terms of that, I mentioned myself as an example of a teenager who did not like these predictable stories finding older anime to be different, people who grew up with it is a different matter like no one gives a shit about Doraemon anymore because it's a kids show with very simple themes, people care about something like Lotgh still because it is complex with mature themes therefore people, smarter people will want to watch this instead of anime with simple themes.

About Ghost int he Shell I agree to some level, it preaches existentialism without really experimenting with those themes but SAC does.
RapidShadowOct 2, 2018 1:45 AM
Oct 2, 2018 12:40 AM

Oct 2010
Stuff like evangelion won't become obsolete. Just look at Sgt Pepper, it's got 50 years and it's still the best album ever created.
Oct 2, 2018 1:32 AM

Mar 2017
RapidShadow said:
smarter people will want to watch instead anime with simple themes.

There it is again, that unproven correlation. Data, monsieur. Data.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Oct 2, 2018 1:34 AM

Feb 2013
i remember when the industry still did classics like kimi no na wa ;-;
Oct 2, 2018 1:43 AM

May 2017
The only thing that would hinder people from the future would be the animation I guess, so if they can put aside the animation quality then I don't think there's any other factor that's stopping them. It's true that the newer stuff would be more popular but that doesn't stop the true enthusiasts from exploring older stuff.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2018 2:05 AM

Nov 2017
Eanki said:
RapidShadow said:
smarter people will want to watch instead anime with simple themes.

There it is again, that unproven correlation. Data, monsieur. Data.

Sigh* I don't mean to generalize, this was also not part of the original argument with the debate about anime losing it's artistic merits and you have not directly responded to that.

I mentioned Angels egg don't know if you've seen it but it's a 80's ova directed by Mamoru Oshii which is better than Ghost in the Shell in my opinion because it says something completely unique other than Ghost in the Shell which hasn't aged well, it just did themes of Existentialism better than everything that came before it but not everything that came after.

Intelligence is a factor in understanding complex works such as these, a person with 80 IQ has no chance of understanding it(I get that this is a weird argument to make). That's why I said smart people in the original argument, there are people who constantly seek out new anime that make them think or tackle mature and yes that is a taste, even looking at the favorites of some of the people here it can be clearly seen the type of anime they watch is intelligent or tackles mature themes in some way. (Apologize for the mistakes in the previous post)
Oct 2, 2018 2:23 AM

Sep 2017
I'm film buff and I'm still watching silent movies from the 30s. Not to mention that I'm also still reading novels from 200 years ago.

The classic will be there for all those who look for art rather than instant gratification. They are unique and irreplaceable for the same reason as you cannot replace Shakespeare today by writing like he did centuries ago.
Oct 2, 2018 2:39 AM

Oct 2012
That's like saying by 2018, AFI Top 100 will be obsolete.
https://www.afi.com/100years/movies10.aspx

Total idiocy.

What's Disney's most popular movie? Hint: Not Moana. It's Aladdin (1992).
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-no-1-disney-animated-movie-of-all-time-based-on-money-2016-05-10

If nobody's watching 30 year old animation, then sales should stagnate, right?
katsucatsOct 2, 2018 2:43 AM
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 2, 2018 2:49 AM
Mar 2018
Its good. Then they will be remade in better quality just like legend of galactic heros and i hear that yu yu hakusho is also being remade.
Oct 2, 2018 2:56 AM

Feb 2017
And I also predict that a lot of remake of old anime will be made in future, which also give the original one exposure if they won't bother with the visual quality of that years

It's not forgotten, it just become more obscure that it used to
Oct 2, 2018 3:00 AM

Jun 2015
That might apply in the very same way it already does for the most casual side of the spectrum (and casual is not the best word for it, since I know casual watchers that are only interested in 90s anime). You even have people in this forum calling 2013 series old already, or people shitting on old anime without having much exposure to it at all.

When it comes to actual anime fans, let's just hope they're not as narrow minded as you seemingly are, and are able to value the human work and craftsmanship, no matter the decade, form or context. And maybe even finding an added interest in discovering the correlation between that context and the show they're experiencing.

Because yes, what a big deal having more to choose from.
UnowenOct 2, 2018 3:04 AM
Oct 2, 2018 3:18 AM

Jul 2014
Then explain how older films like Nosferatu, Citizen Kane and The Wizard of Oz haven't lost their longevity and cultural relevance. Why can't the same thing happen with older, seminal anime?
Take care of yourself

Oct 2, 2018 3:24 AM

May 2014
I think they'll be even less talked about, but i don't think they'll be forgotten. Really big anime fans will seek out the old stuff.

It's like with video games, the old ones aren't forgotten at all.
Oct 2, 2018 3:35 AM

May 2013
I might have to disagree on this. You make it sound like the newer anime have nothing in comparison to older works unless I read it wrong.

That itself is a narrow outlook on the whole medium of art. Anime has been the same as it was before and as it is now. The only thing that has progressed is the evolution of art. We have much more anime/manga works that before because of the advent of technology and one should be glad for that. As much as you see more crap thrown at you, you have proportionally more works around that will fit your tastes. Unless you are one of those people who just watch everything out there.

The point being, all of it doesn't make old stuff obsolete. It's like saying classical music is obsolete when it is still very much in use in contemporary works.

However, it is no doubt that the current generation will primarily watch what is present in its current era, and occasionally from time-to-time go back to watching the so-called classics.

Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 2, 2018 3:45 AM

Jul 2015
Imaishi pretty much summed up everything that should be said. This has very little to do with "nostalgia" (that dumb argument will never die) considering 95% of the oldies I saw, I saw them for the first time in the last 2 years.

But if you wanna be that grumpy close-minded dude who yells "anime were better in my youth, we had AoT!" while dismissing everything new, good for you. Just don't pretend that's how fans of the 80s/90s are.

(and the chances of NGE being forgotten? They're at zero. AoT will be forgotten before Anno starts writing the 4th rebuild and you know it.)
Oct 2, 2018 3:53 AM

Feb 2018
Certain classics from each period ll always remain popular but I bet in the future we ll have historical elitism when a bunch of people feel superior just because they watch old shows.
Oct 2, 2018 4:05 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
So long as To LOVE-Ru has a dedicated fanbase, then Urusei Yatsura will still be relevant. And if another show like it comes along and continues that chain by usurping TLR with a similar premise, then TLR will still be relevant and by extension UY will still be relevant. So on and so forth, I'm pretty sure that things don't operate in absolute isolation enough to where what came before wouldn't be relevant to what we're getting now. The only main difference is whether or not people actually care to look back into it or not, and I don't suddenly see people who get dedicated enough to something to go back and try to get a more holistic picture of how it developed as suddenly vanishing out anytime soon.

So on and so forth, I think that can be applied as needed and I'm more trying to use that as an example. There's things that don't get much attention today, but play too much of a role by being what they were and establishing what they established that purposefully not recognizing them for as much on the basis of immediate relevancy or dismissing it as some kind of nostalgia is just kind of stupid imo.

And for what it's worth, I've been going back and watching older stuff more than newer stuff lately and I'm sure as hell not doing that out of nostalgia, considering I'm 21 now and didn't start watching anime until I was 18. I wanna see dem old ecchi OVAs. I want to know more about them and see how my favorite type of anime developed and changed throughout the years, and what the differences in constructs between then and now are, because I fuckin' love my goofy ass ecchi anime and I want to take on all of it.
ManabanOct 2, 2018 4:14 AM

Oct 2, 2018 4:10 AM

Oct 2015
Classics will still remain classics, the only thing that would make them obsolete is anime fans sticking with their modern seasonal anime and not exploring the medium further. It would weed out anime fans who wants to experience the artistic product of the industry, because we know how is that going this days.

If anime fans still explore the medium, they eventually would be able to dig up past treasures quite easily, since its easily accessible now compared to the past. Rather than becoming obsolete, it will just become an even more niche output of the industry, that would be in the backlogged of many. That is, of course, if no one would touch this series, and I very much doubt 2030 is the time people stopped searching for it. People likes going back to the art house series that anime have produced in the olden times, when VHS tapes were the only way to get them physically and digitally be on television.

No one exploring past relics, no one would be able to touch the gems. And there will always be treasure hunters who wants to appreciate the mediums messages and endearing stories, one rich with philosophy, narrative, and what it contributed to the medium. If Citizen Kane, Godfather, Mirror, Stalker, Nosferatu, Psycho, 2001: Space Odyssey and whatnot are still well-known in films, I don't think it would differ with anime as long people are willing to acknowledge them. And what you said about anime fans dying out by then, well, I have to think unlikely of it.

You'll see AoT, BnHA, and even Black Clover be forgotten in certain years, and EVA, Bebop, and GiTS, how is it possible to forget this three series. Heck, Ashita no Joe and Patlabor is getting some exposure recently, and the former was made before my father was given birth to.

Lisbon said:

And for what it's worth, I've been going back and watching older stuff more than newer stuff lately and I'm sure as hell not doing that out of nostalgia, considering I'm 21 now and didn't start watching anime until I was 18. I wanna see dem old ecchi OVAs. I want to know more about them and see how my favorite type of anime developed and changed throughout the years, and what the differences in constructs between then and now are, because I fuckin' love my goofy ass ecchi anime and I want to take on all of it.
Yo, give me some of that sauce when times be in my hands.
-Lofn-Oct 2, 2018 4:23 AM

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Oct 2, 2018 4:14 AM

Sep 2018
Yeah just like no one cares abut the Disney films of the 40s now....oh wait.

They are the only reason why copyright keeps on getting extended and they will never go into the public domain.
Oct 2, 2018 4:24 AM

Apr 2016
They won't be forgotten nor become obsolete. Shows that stood out will always be remembered and praised even if no as much as before. The same could be said about the 2000's and 2010's. Only the shows that stood out the most or had a huge impact will be remembered by the anime community, while the rest will be there waiting to be discovered, and there will always be people who will go back and watch old shows and even compare the quality of said shows to newer ones, which is why we constatly get old vs new threads and why people still think that the 80's and 90's were the renaissance of anime, even though they were not.
Oct 2, 2018 4:25 AM

May 2016
I don’t think it will die by or in 2030.
Look at One Piece and the Dragon Ball franchise. They both started in the late 90s (early 2000s I think) and they both are doing great as of now

Oct 2, 2018 4:28 AM
Jul 2018
nah they won't be forgotten
plus you are right this is just a prediction of yours
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » From what side of the neck do you enjoy being bitten by your vampire master?

Catalano - 9 hours ago

11 by TsutanaiFuun »»
2 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

90 by FFandMMfan »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?

Dije - Yesterday

37 by TsutanaiFuun »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

54 by DesolatePsyche »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Yesterday

128 by DesolatePsyche »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.