Forum Settings
Forums

Seen an anime in a language other than Japanese or English?

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Post New Reply
Poll: Have you watched anime in a language other than Japanese or English?

Oct 4, 2018 2:41 AM
They used to air dbz, naruto and one piece hindi dubbed here in India and it was terrible! No dedication at all! As for some kids animes like pokemon, shin chan, doraemon and digimon they did pretty decent job

Oct 4, 2018 6:41 AM

mainly korean dubs, but italian dub lupin is :ok:

Oct 4, 2018 9:38 AM

If we dont include kids anime like Doraemon, Pokemon, Digimon etc. then the only anime i've seen in my native language (Hindi) is Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.

And Goku's voice was pretty good imo in comparison to its japanese counterpart. Goku's japanese voice makes me cringe tbh XD

Best Couple ---> Senjougahara x Araragi

Oct 4, 2018 9:45 AM
Ive watched a lot of animes in Korean, and a few in German and Spanish

Oct 4, 2018 10:51 AM

I usually don't plan watching dubbed anime but sometimes sh*t just happens. I've seen Ginga Nagareboshi Gin in Finnish, Swedish and Korean or/and Chinese. Inuyasha in English, Candy Candy and some Ghibli movies also in Finnish, which I do not support, not at all.

Oct 4, 2018 10:55 AM

Well, a few years ago I used to check out a few, mainly in French ir Italian, I think, I was curious as to how they’d handled everything, or I’d hear that the voice actor of some anime character voiced x character and I’d be curious to see how they sounded as the anime character. Well, I don’t do it anymore, though.

Oct 4, 2018 10:55 AM

All of my childhood anime were dubbed in european portuguese and some in spanish.. so yes.

"At least I... wasn't boring, right?" – Kokichi Ouma

Oct 4, 2018 11:44 AM

Not really anime, but a couple manga I like have french releases and no english release, so Ive read them in french.

Oct 4, 2018 11:52 AM

When I was still a kid before watching stuff online I only had access to the few dubs that aired on television. None were in English or Japanese, so yeah I watched a lot of them.

Nowadays I only listen to the original audio be it Japanese, Korean or Chinese with English subtitles unless I can only find subtitles in a different language, but it's pretty rare.

Oct 4, 2018 12:16 PM

Halicone said:
When I was still a kid before watching stuff online I only had access to the few dubs that aired on television. None were in English or Japanese, so yeah I watched a lot of them.
Same here, though it took me quite some time to become aware that you can just look up episodes on the Internet and to actually watch them, since I just saw them as cartoons and nothing more. But after getting to know about the censorship of Naruto, I've been cured from German-dubbed shows.

I don't mind German subs though, but as you wrote, those are quite rare. It's much easier to get English-subbed Anime, anyway.

Best part about the German dubs were the OPs like Dragonball, Digimon, Kickers, Ranma 1/2 and Detektiv Conan

Oct 4, 2018 12:17 PM
I watch Anime in italian mostly. Sometimes in English...

Oct 4, 2018 12:40 PM
Same as others, I watched Dutch dubs airing on TV when I was kid. Mainly Pokemon, Beyblade, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Digimon and Sailor Moon. Oh and a few eps of Shin Chan, but that project got stopped pretty quickly because of obvious reasons.
Conclusion: there are only 5 Dutch VA's. Do not recommend.

Series like Gundam Wing, Dragonball Z and Rurouni Kenshin were aired in English with Dutch subs though. The Flemish part of my country has always been more favorable towards subbing instead of dubbing, only stuff for the small kids get dubbed because they can't read well enough yet.

Oct 4, 2018 12:40 PM

Noboru said:
Halicone said:
Same here, though it took me quite some time to become aware that you can just look up episodes on the Internet and to actually watch them, since I just saw them as cartoons and nothing more. But after getting to know about the censorship of Naruto, I've been cured from German-dubbed shows.

I don't mind German subs though, but as you wrote, those are quite rare. It's much easier to get English-subbed Anime, anyway.

Best part about the German dubs were the OPs like Dragonball, Digimon, Kickers, Ranma 1/2 and Detektiv Conan

Yeah, the intros were super memorable. I still remember having a few episodes recorded on VHS and playing the OPs over and over till I learned every word by heart. My favorite is the one from Nadia. Still one of my favorite series even today.

I heard that the Naruto dub was censored in the most extreme way possible but by the time it aired on TV I had lost interest in anime and only got into it again at the start of the current decade.

Oct 4, 2018 12:44 PM

Thinking back now, I probably learned German while watching German dubbed anime as a kid. We could watch German tv channels via satellite, so I always ditched the local tv channels and went and watched the German ones for their anime kid's program lol
I watched Vampire Knight in Hungarian(my mother language) dub, when I started to get into watching anime online . I also watched some Ghibli movies and few eps of Naruto with Serbian/Croatian dub from DVD disks.
Nowadays, I watch anime in Japanese with English subs (or in rare cases even without subs). Tho' lately, I have gotten into watching some of these "Chinese anime" (like Xiao Lu He Xiao Lan, Quanzhi Gaoshou, Mo Dao Zu Shi,..)

Oct 4, 2018 12:52 PM

People are way too harsh with German dubs jeez. The Hunter x Hunter and Voltron German dubs are great.

Oct 4, 2018 8:58 PM

Watched the latest detective conan movie in Korean cuz the japanese version isn't subbed and cant be found online

also watched some episodes of Detective conan in Mandarin when i went to China during the summer

Oct 4, 2018 11:03 PM

>Have you watched anime in a language other than Japanese or English?
Yes, I did watch a number of anime in my native Russian language. Like Makoto Shinkai's "Your Name", or CLAMP's Cardcaptor Sakura.

DreamingBeats said:

if you are a native speaker / near fluent, what do you think of German/French/Italian/etc dubs?

Professional dubs are often decent, and some opening covers are quite nice. But fandubs are rumored to be awful, even more than russian fansubs. Russian fansubs suffer from being translated from English by a robot, or maybe just somebody with insufficient knowledge, and fandubs suffer from being badly voiced in addition to inability to check the original sound to find what was said.
Still, given my country's history of censorship, I strongly prefer to have the original sound available.

Oct 5, 2018 6:23 AM

As a kid, I watched the Hebrew dubs. Since then... hardly anything. But that mostly because there aren't many

Oct 5, 2018 6:32 AM

Basically in Spanish, sometimes Spain version but most of times Latin spanish. Sometimes I also watch them on Italian. I cant understand, but spanish and Italian are similar languages, So, I can understand italian a little.

Oct 5, 2018 6:32 AM

Yes, I am not a native english speaker so I watch anime in spanish from time to time.

Oct 5, 2018 7:43 AM

Yes, mostly I watch anime with my country language. It is Indonesia. But sometimes I watch it in english

Oct 5, 2018 8:23 AM

Finnish (native), Swedish, Russian, Spanish, German, Italian, Arabic and Hebrew. Did I understand half of them? No.

Oct 5, 2018 8:37 AM

I grew up watching most anime like Inuyasha & Shaman King in my first language.

Oct 5, 2018 8:39 AM

Watched in Russian Language, pretty average quality

Oct 5, 2018 8:45 AM

Ace_Card said:
I have seen some Ghibli films in Estonian and they were pretty okay, I guess. There have also been some lazy dubs, that have only 1-2 voice actors and those were quite bad.

Same.

And also, I've seen The Moomins in Estonian, too. But that was a long time ago, now i only watch in Japanese lol.

Oct 5, 2018 8:52 AM
Yeah, I watched the German Dub for an anime called Shadow Skill: Eigi and it was arguably better than the Japanese and English dub imo.

Oct 5, 2018 8:54 AM

Yeah, I have watched anime dubbed and subtitled in Finnish.

Oct 5, 2018 8:58 AM

I've watched anime dubbed/subbed in French and dubbed/subbed in Korean. But most of the times I just watch English subs.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Oct 5, 2018 9:01 AM
Dragon Ball with polish lector dubbed over french, that's the way we rolled in the 90s since most anime were sourced from france, polish version of Pokemon isn't half bad either since it has a proper dub other than that german dub of K-on!. German Mugi is a gift from god.

Oct 6, 2018 9:42 AM

I'm forever grateful for the fact that Shin-chan was dubbed in Dutch.

I've seen a few scenes from the Finnish dub of Digimon before and that one is hilarious too because of the voice acting.
~~~

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]