Forum Settings
Forums
Oct 1, 2018 5:32 PM

BurningSpirit said:
A low standard deviation with a high mean could mean that you bump too many anime up from the lower ranges to a 6 and 7. Making those score ranges just a dumping ground for most anime. You can think of it being kind, but you can also think of it as cruelly lumping good anime with or near anime that should really be in a lower score range. I prefer to think of it as the latter.

Suppose that depends on what you call "good". Different people have different tastes.
I do try to evade watching shows I most likely won't enjoy. Anime isn't my job, merely a hobby.

Oct 1, 2018 5:52 PM

I haven't updated my MALGraph in about a month, but I don't plan to since I rather finish the seasonals that I already started before doing so

Total rated 1088
Mean score 5.37
Std dev. 2.30

Oct 1, 2018 6:03 PM
One major caveat: this analysis is only meaningful if your distribution of scores is close to following a normal distribution. If your scores are nontrivially skewed in any direction, that can easily screw up any analysis you perform in this manner.

Oct 1, 2018 6:05 PM

Ranacchi said:
Suppose that depends on what you call "good". Different people have different tastes.
I do try to evade watching shows I most likely won't enjoy. Anime isn't my job, merely a hobby.
I think most people avoid anime that they feel they wouldn't like. There's a reason I pick up only a fraction of the airing anime. Still, most of the anime I watch end up mostly forgotten in just a few weeks after airing.

Besides, I don't think many people have anime as a job and I seriously think it'll only ruin it for that person. Kinda like professional gamers who can't have any fun gaming anymore. It's a hobby for me, but one where I get that warm fuzzy feeling watching some of it. And I really want scores of 8 something special, with 9 and 10 being something REALLY special.

tuckfrump4228 said:
One major caveat: this analysis is only meaningful if your distribution of scores is close to following a normal distribution. If your scores are nontrivially skewed in any direction, that can easily screw up any analysis you perform in this manner.
It's true. But it could also be valuable to access why a person's score deviates so much from a normal distribution. Math like that is meant to get a numerical number to explain something that was already somewhat intuitive in the first place.
Modified by BurningSpirit, Oct 1, 2018 6:14 PM
I swear I'm not a lolicon.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Opinions are all relevant. I express mine freely and believe everyone should too. Unless you say "<Insert anime here> is the best! Everything else sucks", then GTFO.
My MAL Interview

Oct 1, 2018 7:28 PM

I guess my standard deviation is a little high? Hmm.
Exit: My standard deviation is 2.03, to clarify.

Also, I find it interesting that 7 is my actual median score given out despite 6 being what I consider a “standard” enjoyable experience.

My reluctance to give out 9’s doesn’t seem common wih others. Most people only seem to do that with 10s.
Modified by TripleSRank, Oct 1, 2018 7:34 PM

Oct 1, 2018 11:31 PM

ResKori said:
Mean score 6.30
Std dev 1.45

what about me? I got no idea wtf this means.

Mean = add up all your scores then divide by number of scored series.

Std dev = a somewhat more complicated calculation, but it basically is a measure of how spread out your scores are.

TripleSRank said:

Also, I find it interesting that 7 is my actual median score given out despite 6 being what I consider a “standard” enjoyable experience.

My reluctance to give out 9’s doesn’t seem common wih others. Most people only seem to do that with 10s.
I think 9s were also kinda rare with my old rating system.

Oct 2, 2018 4:20 AM

BurningSpirit said:
I think most people avoid anime that they feel they wouldn't like. There's a reason I pick up only a fraction of the airing anime. Still, most of the anime I watch end up mostly forgotten in just a few weeks after airing.

Besides, I don't think many people have anime as a job and I seriously think it'll only ruin it for that person. Kinda like professional gamers who can't have any fun gaming anymore. It's a hobby for me, but one where I get that warm fuzzy feeling watching some of it. And I really want scores of 8 something special, with 9 and 10 being something REALLY special.

I am immune to most things which would make an anime "REALLY special".
I rarely cry, I'm not a huge fan of little kids, romance isn't my cup of tea either, and I cannot relate to "relatable things" either. There's not a lot of things left if any which could guarantee a 10/10.

I do occasionally watch things I think I'll despise due to me wanting to know what others find so great about it that it deserves a 10/10 but I don't do this often enough to have my score plummet to 4 average.
After all, hobbies are supposed to be fun.
I'm not sure if I should even waste my time watching things I despise that much just to please other people. If others want to watch things they hate and play pretend to be one o' dem critics, they can do so.

Oct 2, 2018 4:51 AM

TripleSRank said:

On further thought, that probably happened because there’s no true “neutral” score in an evenly-numbered rating system, and my concept of “average” got bisected between 5’s and 6’s as a result. If you add the two they do outnumber my 7’s, and the difference between them is minute.

It might sound trollish but I legit wish we had a “0” rating just so 5 could be a true middle-point in the scale.

Oct 2, 2018 5:00 AM

interesting I have a good idea how this works and MAL really should implement this instead of lame mean score thingy. This way we or other users could figure if our rating system is consistent to begin with.

anyway my standard deviation is 1.35, could been better. I have yet to rate bunch of ova/special.

Oct 2, 2018 12:37 PM

SkyDrop said:
I have yet to rate bunch of ova/special.
I don't bother rating these because a lot of the time these things aren't really things I have separate "impressions" of that are noticeably different from the main series they're a part of.

Oct 3, 2018 3:27 AM

Total rated: 745
Mean score: 4.36
Std dev.: 2.18

Oct 3, 2018 3:59 AM

Total rated: 2206
Mean score: 5.47
Std dev.: 2.99

1 S.D. = 5.47 ± 2.99 = Scores between 2.48 and 8.46
2 S.D. = 5.47 ± (2.99 x 2) = Scores between -0.51 and 11.45

Oct 3, 2018 4:55 AM

Total Rated: 2501
Mean Score: 3.80
Std Deviation: 1.93

Have fun with my stats.

Oct 3, 2018 7:11 AM

Standard deviation of 1.8 with a mean score of 5.87 and 239 rated shows.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]