Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 30, 2018 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah yes, the final (continuation) of the match between Nagisa and Ayano.

The episode felt like it had a lot of emotional stakes and I wasn't surprised by how far Nagisa wanted to prove herself. Quite impressed by the character animation this episode though in particular some of the camera work. It's so precise that felt like every second counted.

In the end, I guess the series tried to highlight Nagisa and Ayano as much as possible.
Sep 30, 2018 9:33 AM

Nov 2011
That ladies and Gentlemen was a BRILLIANT EPISODE!

Where's all my Ayano haters at now?!?! Everything really came together in the end in this episode.

I loved how Ayano kept her attitude even after losing. Great great moments in this episode.

I really would have wished the focused more on Nagisa training to get better and more of Ayano instead of focusing on the other club members. I mean the show has Ayano's name in it and I feel it was more focused on Nagisa overall.

Animation for this episode was miraculous, I was really hoping for a season 2 and get the Nationals arc but I guess I'll have to read the manga instead.

10/10 anime.

SoraSenpaiSep 30, 2018 9:52 AM
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Sep 30, 2018 9:34 AM
Jun 2013
Ayano basically lost her mum for badminton.
The way Uchika was handled is not satisfying at all.
Sep 30, 2018 9:35 AM
Aug 2016
Really great ending to a great anime that everyday i ask myself how i liked so much.

When i can i'm gonna read the manga, hoping for a second season.

GJ Lidenfilms, 8/10 all deserved.
Sep 30, 2018 9:45 AM

Dec 2014
Good finale, awesome match.

Great animation, production and direction for the final match. The only part that I sorta took issue was the one where they black out the screen only showing phrases with Nagisa and Ayanon panting in the background. The change was kinda jarring especially given that the match was so intense moments ago and all of sudden we're taken out of the action. They should've found a way to incorporate the monologues into the game itself so they could keep the excitement from the match going strong. Definitely not a bad idea, I can see what they were going for but the execution messed with the momentum of the game. Overall, great production though.

Congratulations to Nagisa for winning, that scene where she cries after winning, damn, just damn. :(

The scene where Ayanon thanks Elena was very heartfelt, I guess there's some redemption to be had.

First question, how faithful is the anime to the manga? I know that some of the character introductions were completely changed but is this match exactly how it is the manga as well?

A lot of people were defending Ayanon's character saying that the way she was acting was reasonable and justified. To all those people, what did you think of Ayanon's character post the match? If your interpretation of Ayanon was a cold, ruthless character fueled by some unknown desire to just win, do you feel her change at the end is justified? If so, how is the change that happened in this episode any different from what happened in the earlier episodes? She's learnt the same lessons she learnt in the early episodes. This is kinda why I call Ayanon's character inconsistent because she just seems to change to fit the needs of the story.

Overall, really good show. Fantastic production value, the matches were fantastic and a pure delight to watch. As a sports anime, it does have all the zeal and energy that I love but sometimes the drama is very overbearing to the point it kinda makes a dent on energy and excitement the show can create. The only other problem I have with the show is the way Ayanon's character is written which feels inconsistent as I mentioned above. I do know that the anime kinda messed up the character introductions and stuff so I don't know if me feeling Ayanon's character is inconsistent is a product of that or not.

8/10
Sep 30, 2018 9:52 AM

Nov 2011
Oh yeah who was that Pigtailed girl with Glasses at the end watching the team run? She just walked away that that dude at the end...anyone answer that one?
Listen to my podcast

Follow my twitch.

Sep 30, 2018 10:02 AM

Jan 2016
SoraSenpai said:
Oh yeah who was that Pigtailed girl with Glasses at the end watching the team run? She just walked away that that dude at the end...anyone answer that one?

the girl from the tennis club
Sep 30, 2018 10:03 AM

Nov 2011
serusa94 said:
SoraSenpai said:

the girl from the tennis club

Ahh right right I forgot about her.
Listen to my podcast

Follow my twitch.

Sep 30, 2018 10:04 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The real Ayanon is savage, exciting and cute, BUT WHY ONLY IN THE LAST TWO MINUTES OF THE SHOW? :c

Very positively surprised that Nagisa won, i was actually genuinely happy when i saw this. She finally deserves it for the hard work she put in after the struggle she went through.

This finale was really damn good and i'm glad. The animation, the hype from the matches and the first three episodes saved this pretty well.

The mom plot though was THE big minus of the series, the writing suffering a lot in my opinion.
Sep 30, 2018 10:04 AM

May 2015
I know a lot of people like this anime and that's fair, but I just can't bring myself to like it at all. I hated the characters apart from a few, I hated the silly drama, I hated how inconsistent things were. I'm a big fan of sports anime, but maybe I like mine a bit less edgier than this.

Overall, 4/10. It probably would have been lower if it wasn't for the fact I did enjoy the first few episodes.

♡ artist
サコ
Sep 30, 2018 10:08 AM
Jan 2018
Lelouch0202 said:
Good finale, awesome match.

Great animation, production and direction for the final match. The only part that I sorta took issue was the one where they black out the screen only showing phrases with Nagisa and Ayanon panting in the background. The change was kinda jarring especially given that the match was so intense moments ago and all of sudden we're taken out of the action. They should've found a way to incorporate the monologues into the game itself so they could keep the excitement from the match going strong. Definitely not a bad idea, I can see what they were going for but the execution messed with the momentum of the game. Overall, great production though.

Congratulations to Nagisa for winning, that scene where she cries after winning, damn, just damn. :(

The scene where Ayanon thanks Elena was very heartfelt, I guess there's some redemption to be had.

First question, how faithful is the anime to the manga? I know that some of the character introductions were completely changed but is this match exactly how it is the manga as well?

A lot of people were defending Ayanon's character saying that the way she was acting was reasonable and justified. To all those people, what did you think of Ayanon's character post the match? If your interpretation of Ayanon was a cold, ruthless character fueled by some unknown desire to just win, do you feel her change at the end is justified? If so, how is the change that happened in this episode any different from what happened in the earlier episodes? She's learnt the same lessons she learnt in the early episodes. This is kinda why I call Ayanon's character inconsistent because she just seems to change to fit the needs of the story.

Overall, really good show. Fantastic production value, the matches were fantastic and a pure delight to watch. As a sports anime, it does have all the zeal and energy that I love but sometimes the drama is very overbearing to the point it kinda makes a dent on energy and excitement the show can create. The only other problem I have with the show is the way Ayanon's character is written which feels inconsistent as I mentioned above. I do know that the anime kinda messed up the character introductions and stuff so I don't know if me feeling Ayanon's character is inconsistent is a product of that or not.

8/10

not that faithful , it basically changed it anyanons mother was never at the game so she dosnt see her afterwards and anyanon loses still but she faints during the match .

and there was a whole event after the game with pink tails girls where an old famous guy from the badminton scene baits anynaon to play at a match where if she wins she can see her mom.

Mattinator95Sep 30, 2018 10:16 AM
Sep 30, 2018 10:10 AM

Aug 2017
Nagisa defeats Ayano. The end. PD: the whole thing with her mother and the resolution is so fucking dumb that isn't even worth mentioning.

Bad anime. Full of melodrama and bad characters. The only good thing about this show are the matches. 3/10 for the anime.
NurguburuSep 30, 2018 10:44 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 30, 2018 10:11 AM

Aug 2013
What a great last episode. I would have liked this anime much more if it didn't have excessive amount of drama. The animation is amazing, Ayano is fun and refreshing compared to the generic sports anime MC.

Overall, 5.5/10
Sep 30, 2018 10:14 AM

Mar 2018
I really liked this show until the tournament started and Ayano's attitude suddenly and without any explanation turned for the worse. At the beginning this show was a solid 8/10 for me but at this point I can't give it more than 6/10.
Sep 30, 2018 10:15 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Boring finale.

The conflict between the MC and her mom seemingly gets resolved easily over the ridiculous reason and not to mention the animation was just bland.

The show started off promising but turned mediocre halfway through. Never got better unfortunately as they matched the two girls for a good amount of eps with nothing else.

Sep 30, 2018 10:16 AM
May 2016
She's gonna tell her off, she's gonna tell her off, I've been waiting 13 episodes for this.....

"I used to hate you, but now I love Badminton, so no hard feelings."

WTF, quite possibly the worst mother I've ever seen that wasn't portrayed as an outright villain, and everybody seems kind of OK with it. What terrible, terrible writing. It just torpedoed the otherwise solid finale for me.

No apology from her, no go screw yourself from Ayano, nothing. Seriously, took the show from a 7 or 8 to a 5 for me. Like I shouldn't have even wasted my time.
Sep 30, 2018 10:17 AM

Mar 2014
Oh thats nice, all that drama that was built up between ayano and her mother amounted to nothing, fantastic Ayano's psyche was fixed within half a match and the mother got what she wanted; for ayano to just have fun. A great anti climatic coversation between them to tie it up perfectly. Gotta make sure it ends on a happy note after all.
Atleast there was a beautiful crying face from nagisa after winning.

P.S. I loved ayano's character throughout the anime, a little less in this episode thanks to the writers.
Powered by yuri.
Needless to say, I finish all anime I start, no matter my initial opinion, no matter how bad it gets, I WILL FINISH IT!
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/zunderdog24
Sep 30, 2018 10:25 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Solid finale to a fine series!

Really, just the amount of details conveyed through the art/animation throughout this episode and particularly during the match was astounding! It’s good to see the end of Ayano’s inner conflict and to see her now stronger than ever before(emotionally speaking). Nagisa really deserves a lot of praise for coming this far, even beating the likes of Ayano with a worn-out knee. I really enjoyed the way the inner feelings and monologues were accompanied by the mesmerising animation, to make this truly a great episode! On another note, Ayano’s mother finally showing some respite was good to see but I certainly do not think that’s enough to change my battered opinion of her sadly. The pink-haired female’s analysis was nice to see, for myself espeically since I too play a lot of badminton, so thanks to that lol! Elena and Riko, really props to them for keeping our two protagonists in check and supporting them all the way! The ED with the different shots was cool to see as well. ‘Beat Hanesaki’ headband was hilarious to see for some reason and I wonder what’s up with that green-haired lady? She walked away with her boyfriend in the end so that was hilarious too for some odd reason and a big facepalm also. Everyone regrouping together this episode, though, was a nice addition! It’s good to know that the old but true, xD, Ayano is now working hard to beat her rival. I’m going to miss the gripping Op and the amazing ED for sure and also the glorious art! Can’t say much about the Storyline sadly, however but I’ll get more into that in just a bit.

Other than the over-excessive drama surrounding Ayano, I think the show managed to do quite well however I still can’t help but be a little disappointed since I had high hopes for this show. Also, the sudden change in moods really got to me somewhere around the middle. One notable example I can think of is when the serious heavy plot during Connie’s arc was just ridiculed by the out-of-place fan service and whatnot. Nevertheless, I believe the Characterization that Nagisa had, in particular, was brilliant! It felt as though she really was the main character at times. Other Characters though ranged from constant and no development whatsoever to good appreciable developments with the latter sadly lesser. I have already spoken enough about the Art/Animation and the Sound Department, but again fab! It was odd seeing a little bit of animation problems somewhere around Episode 11 or so, but thankfully it was short and passed by in a breeze. All in all, an entertaining but underwhelming watch. I hope to see more of Badmintoon anime being adapted in the near future!

- Storyline: 6/10
- Characterization/Character Development: 5/10
- Sound Department: 9/10
- Art/Animation: 9.5/10
- Personal Enjoyment: 7/10

-> Overall: Solid 6.0-6.40. I hope there’s a Season 2 in the making now, and hopefully there’ll be lesser drama there!
_MushiRock11_Oct 3, 2018 2:32 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 30, 2018 10:27 AM

May 2015
BS ending for BS anime. Glad it's finally over.
3/10
Sep 30, 2018 10:27 AM
Jan 2018
cant see there being a season 2 due to the differences, i read a couple of pages of the manga only 19 translated out like 64 , not just the personalty differences the whole story is different,

ayano mum hardly appears , she never went to the game vs Nagisa and something happens with ayano before the game and during it , to the point she faints during the match and loses that way, but the match isn't till like chapt 23 i had to skim the raws for 20 and up , no clue what they where saying
Sep 30, 2018 10:28 AM
Jul 2018
thank god the torture is finally over.
Sep 30, 2018 10:29 AM

Dec 2013
I like how the badminton game was animated overall despite the finale being anti-climatic. My favorite being the match between Nagisa and Nozomi. I personally didn't give much fuck about the drama. 7/10
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Sep 30, 2018 10:29 AM
Oct 2015
I really liked anime until last episode. The last fight was fine but i hate how Ayano mother plot ended. She just forgive her... like rly? After all this years she was abandon?
DrugixSep 30, 2018 10:32 AM
Sep 30, 2018 10:37 AM

Jul 2015
Loved it up until this episode. They pretty much threw it away. First time I've gotten mad at an ending in a while. Tbh the whole thing with her mother is retarded. She just forgives her and shit. The game was bs. Pretty sure if Ayano had been in a better state of mind she would've wiped the floor with Nagisa (I like Nagisa but still). And they had to go throwing in the whole "gifted" around... because Ayano never tried her best or anything amirite
Sep 30, 2018 10:37 AM

Jul 2014
Was hoping Ayano would win but eh, as expected they went with the obvious end where the cold hearted badass MC loses, BS.
generic ending for a shitty adaptation of changing the whole vibe of the show (Ayano manga ver is a lil edgy but not as edgy as the anime made her out to be)
Sep 30, 2018 10:51 AM

Apr 2015
I was about to drop this at some point, glad I did not since I ended up enjoying it.
Sep 30, 2018 10:55 AM

Sep 2018
Hanesaki-chan kawaii como sempre >.<
~ Floquinho771
Sep 30, 2018 10:56 AM
Feb 2018
Great ending to wrap the anime. I really want to see Ayano lost but i didn't want to see she break at the same time.

BTW, I loved how the episode were presented this time, the monochrome effect and the soliloquy.
Sep 30, 2018 10:56 AM

Aug 2016
It amazes me how everyone is complaining about her forgiving her mother, when she didn't. She told her she love badminton and then when asked if she would go with her overseas she said...Nope.
What she did was give up on her resentment towards her mother.
Yes, she is a shit mother, but why should she allow her anger towards her to ruin her life, it's called growing up, a fitting development for a school show.
It's a much better ending to their tale than he holding onto her anger and telling her mum to f off, or completely forgiving her and going overseas. Either would have been been dumb.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Sep 30, 2018 11:03 AM

Jun 2014
The matches and the animation for said matches were great, and this episode was no exception. Other than that, I didn't care much for anything else. The presence of the Uchika storyline felt like it could have been reduced, or even completely scrapped, without causing a lot of damage to the overall story. Also, I didn't care for all the drama, and my biggest gripe that I mentioned a few times before was Ayano's edgy personality. Seriously, the "I'M SOOOO CRAAAAZY" yandere faces in a show like this just feels so out of place, it annoyed me seeing that so often. Not a bad show but it definitely could have achieved greater heights.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 30, 2018 11:11 AM

Feb 2009
Awesome finale for a great anime. I hope they make a season 2 soon.

Sep 30, 2018 11:12 AM

May 2017
Well that's BS, how could hard work (also injured) beat talent (with decent hard work) smfh

1/10

Can someone tell what happened in the manga like if this is legit or nah coz I don't plan on reading the manga now after this garbage of an ending
LairucremSep 30, 2018 11:15 AM
Sep 30, 2018 11:12 AM

May 2015
Not entirely satisfied with the finale. Still liked it tho. The animation, intensity of the matches were topnotch.
But I don't like it how everyone just ignores how awful Ayano's personality was.
A solid 7/10.
Sep 30, 2018 11:15 AM
Feb 2012
This is the kind of terrible melodramatic shit you end up with when you adapt female sports series! If male sports series are full of drama but at least they fucking play more. Awful I hope they never adapt anything like his ever again.
Sep 30, 2018 11:15 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
That Nagisa won, it was the best of the weak final!
It was a series that has gone from more to less, the first episode was cool, but even the episode passed it was deflating, the mother story was a little boring, i expected more drama or tension, the tournament was poor and predictable and the final was weak!!!

7/10 is my vote, and hope in the future we will enjoy with a second season, more aggresive and dramatic!
Sep 30, 2018 11:22 AM

Apr 2016
An amazing final episode. The animation was again high level. I love this anime. Definitely by far my best sport anime. Hope the studio will make a 2nd season soon. Till they make i'll start to read the manga.
Final score 9/10(actually it was more like a 9.3/10 but i can't rate it like this ....)

Sep 30, 2018 11:22 AM

Apr 2012
I'm somewhat disappointed that they didn't bring the melodrama to a sufficient climax at the end of the show, just making a generic spokon ending in the end. What a waste of so carefully grown pathos! However, I already enjoyed the show enough, and Nagisa too. One of my most favorite summer anime, although as I see, it was poorly received by Japanese fans.

9/10.

RobertBobertSep 30, 2018 11:27 AM
Sep 30, 2018 11:24 AM

Sep 2014
Conflicting themes and unearned pathos aside, did this episode seriously vindicate Ayano's mom after all the horrific things she's done? Fuck this show...

Sep 30, 2018 11:29 AM
Aug 2016
hysteresis said:
BS ending for BS anime. Glad it's finally over.
3/10
3/10?? For that finale it should get a 1/10...
Sep 30, 2018 11:29 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Could have been a solid ending if they didnt try to suddenly make Uchika a better person right at the end lmao. That almost ruined it my happiness of Nagisa winning.

Anyway, really good production and really good matchs that helped the anime to be entertaining but the story, drama and most of the characters (with the exception of Nagisa) were bad or forgetable at best.

Not the worst this season but definitly the most disappointing anime of Summer 2018.

5/10 and maybe im generous.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Sep 30, 2018 11:38 AM
Aug 2018
wow! i'm surprised at the hate this show got.
Sep 30, 2018 11:40 AM
Apr 2017
just like putting wallpaper (for walls) on a wall with cracks.
Sep 30, 2018 11:41 AM

May 2016
Disappointing ending. While I am happy Ayano was able to let go of her anger the finale really felt both underwhelming and unsatisfying, not to mention incomplete. One thing was somewhat resolved but many others weren't. I still feel that this anime should have had a second season. I feel I would have liked if season one ended on a tragic note and season two is centered on Ayano's journey to redemption.

Overall, great characters, great story, and great animation, but a wasted opportunity for the ending didn't do the story justice.
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Sep 30, 2018 11:42 AM

Apr 2013
Ayano got robbed on one of those match points. I think the one where it became 20-20.

This was funny, though.

Sep 30, 2018 11:51 AM

Aug 2014
garbage ending to a garbage show..
Sep 30, 2018 12:00 PM

Mar 2014
Welp that was fantastic conclusion although it's too bad that Ayano lost but I think is good thing that she already cleared her beef with her mom.

I know they don't have any plans for 2nd season (which I think they should) but for now I'm satisfied !!
Sep 30, 2018 12:09 PM
Jul 2018
And ended up one of my most disappointing show after that cool start. Everything outcome was downright felt 'calculative' and this cliche game sums up the whole worst part of the show well. Nagisa indeed felt deserving winner (for her hardwork) but didn't want to see winning with a heavy plot armor and the show was treating Ayano like a bad girl during the match. Not to mention that parent drama that we have been cringing about all along ended up like nothing! its like we viewers were overthinking about that matter and was got triggered.

Overall whole mess of this show reminds me last year's kakegurui(which also aired at same season). too bad this show had hooking start with sakugas which kept my interest to watching this show but writing was mess. Anyone better off watching the random sakuga gif of this show on the net instead of seeing this original ending which is also incredibly unsatisfying payoff.
removed-userSep 30, 2018 12:18 PM
Sep 30, 2018 12:12 PM
Feb 2010
DatRandomDude said:
Anyway, really good production and really good matchs that helped the anime to be entertaining but the story, drama and most of the characters (with the exception of Nagisa) were bad or forgetable at best.

The matches were actually the least interesting part of this anime. It was such an amazing psychological drama... until the last episode when it turned back into a generic sports anime...

DirectorK said:
Disappointing ending. While I am happy Ayano was able to let go of her anger the finale really felt both underwhelming and unsatisfying, not to mention incomplete. One thing was somewhat resolved but many others weren't. I still feel that this anime should have had a second season. I feel I would have liked if season one ended on a tragic note and season two is centered on Ayano's journey to redemption.

Overall, great characters, great story, and great animation, but a wasted opportunity for the ending didn't do the story justice.

This, this and this. It had so much potential, but that ending was so simplistic... It's as if we've got 2 years timeskip... Such a great psychological drama, with such a sportsy ending... Can't really decide how to rate this show... If only they didn't take so many shortcuts with Ayano's mental state... It all broke when Ayano wasn't completely broken with her loss. Afterwards everything was more or less ok considering that choice, but this single decision completely fucked up the ending... 2 more episodes... nah, 1 more episode would have been enough...
Sep 30, 2018 12:17 PM
Feb 2010
SkyDrop said:
Not to mention that parent drama that we have been cringing about all along ended up nothing!

That parent drama was the best part of this show. Ayano was made so real thanks to it, I actually felt like I'm watching a real person. Her motivations, behaviours... everything felt real. It was an amazing psychological drama, until it stopped being a psychological drama :/
Sep 30, 2018 12:19 PM

Jul 2016
Why the hell did they give it such shit ending? The last episodes were especially bad but this one was the worst.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does Uchika deserve any redemption?

MCA5EY - Dec 26, 2018

10 by _PEAK »»
Mar 17, 6:13 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2018

115 by Seabury »»
Aug 19, 2023 10:22 PM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2018

121 by Kaisoooo94 »»
May 26, 2023 7:53 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2018

126 by Ronninn »»
Dec 10, 2022 10:30 PM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

38 by Ronninn »»
Dec 7, 2022 5:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.