Forum Settings
Forums
Sep 30, 2018 3:49 PM

I used to be a hardcore completionist, but now I drop anime like a bad date.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Sep 30, 2018 4:06 PM
Meme Master

I'm a completionist ("Dropping is for the weak!" is my motto) and take it one step further: When I watch an anime, I watch everything in the franchise, including harder-to-find titles. However, I only start things I intend on finishing.

The best way to make it through things you aren't crazy about without going crazy yourself is to make fun of them. I mean, Petit Eva: Evangelion@School was one of the most enjoyable and amusing anime experiences I've ever had even though it's a laughably (I literally laughed at every episode) terrible anime.

To those who do drop anime: Just don't talk about things you haven't seen. (And when I say seen, I mean finished.) I always cringe when I see people talk crap about things they barely know anything about.

Sep 30, 2018 4:08 PM

avdll said:
Pseudocompletionist here. If I watch something for a few eps and I think it's complete garbage, I just delete the entry and move on. If it's that bad, it doesn't deserve to be mentioned. But this rarely happens, as I tend to be very picky with what I watch.

That's basically me as well. If I can stomach at least 5 episodes of it and have not read the manga, I grit my teeth and finish it.

Sep 30, 2018 5:15 PM

swirlydragon said:
Anyway, how do you "anime completionist" make yourself complete an anime that you obviously dislike? Doesn't it feel like a chore sometimes? And don't you get scared once you start a new anime because if it turns out bad then you've gotta suffer a lot of mental torture? Well, I am an "anime completionist" myself and completing certain anime feels like a chore sometimes.

I kinda do this with anime. I used to watch any anime I can see on TV and I've watched enough shows to know what to do. Of course, I do have an big on-hold list, but it doesn't bother me because that list is my catchall.

I just use three rules - never start an anime I'm not remotely interested in, know what my response is to certain types of shows (for example, I'd watch a dub if I don't care too much about JP fidelity), and employ discipline.

It's been quite rewarding. This is because my favorite type of story is a story that ties everything together. The only way to find those is by watching the entire thing and taking it as a whole body of work.

Of course you get a lot of meh crap along the way, which is why the first step is to filter what you want to watch.

Sep 30, 2018 5:34 PM

I'm definitely a completionist. I refuse to drop an anime no matter what. Even if it gets bad later on.

It does feel like a chore but I'm determined to finish it no matter what.

The animes in my on-hold list means what it says, ON-HOLD. I will continue to watch them one day. Not even planning on dropping them at all.
Modified by Mikura39, Oct 1, 2018 1:58 AM

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!

Sep 30, 2018 5:39 PM
A permanent "on Hold" is the solution. You can come back whenever you want, except that you will forget everything and you'll have to rewatch the entire thing.

Sep 30, 2018 10:29 PM

Akerakai said:
Op we all know you won't ever continue dragon ball super and that the on hold list is the replacement of the dropped list for chiken hearted people like you

I kept DB Super on hold because I was watching it while it was airing and it took around 3 episodes for Goku to finally transform to SSG and then I had to wait every week for a new episode even though the new episode didn't offer much to the story because DB Super had a slow pace. So, I thought I should wait until some new episodes come out. But yeah, I don't feel like watching it now, but I surely will. Perhaps, soon in the future. As for other anime on my "on hold" list, I kept them "on hold" list not because I hate them, but because of several other reasons like for Fate Zero, I thought I should complete F/SN VN first in order to get a good grasp of the story. I completed F/SN VN recently and now I plan to continue F/Z. Similarly for Naruto, it were fillers. For some others, I was busy with some other work, so I had to discontinue watching them. Though I surely will complete all of them. Btw I love F/Z even though I only saw the first few episodes of that anime yet because even the first few episodes were awesome.
Modified by swirlydragon, Sep 30, 2018 10:34 PM

Emilia-tan is a goddess!

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan ;)

Sep 30, 2018 11:37 PM

Don't understand why people doing this to themselves, are they masochists?
If I don't like anime I can''t force myself watch even one episode not to mention about hundreds of Naruto filler episodes.

Oct 1, 2018 12:35 AM

swirlydragon said:
I mean the people who never drop an anime no matter how much they dislike it. They will complete any anime that they once start watching. Anyway, how do you "anime completionist" make yourself complete an anime that you obviously dislike? Doesn't it feel like a chore sometimes? And don't you get scared once you start a new anime because if it turns out bad then you've gotta suffer a lot of mental torture? Well, I am an "anime completionist" myself and completing certain anime feels like a chore sometimes.

Yes, I completely understand how you feel. I can never bring myself to 'drop' a show, and probably never will be able to. And I watch every seasonal, this coming season will be my 5th straight season of watching every show. So yes, undoubtedly there are some terrible ones in there too. But it gives me a better appreciation for the really good ones.

Builds character! lol

Oct 1, 2018 3:14 AM

I drop anime i simply do not enjoy, no reason to torture myself for no reason when I could be spending time trying to find a good anime i will actually enjoy.
That said if I am doing an anime watching challenge and a show I am watching is bad I'll just increase the playback speed x2 so a 20min episode is just 10min.
Much more bearable, can still say I watched all of it without torturing myself. Sometimes playing it faster makes it more interesting too since you're not waiting around for the next useless scene to start.

Baka_phnx said:
"what if something good happens after this?". So I try to complete everything I start.

On this note I'd argue that if a show is so bad it fails too hook you half way thorough its going to fail at the end as well anyway, unless its a highly rated anime that people say you need to see the entirety of it to understand I just move on. Not worth wasting my time on it.

「 俺を誰だと思っていやがる!」
嵐仙人
Signature | Transience

Oct 1, 2018 3:32 AM
Yeah, no, I can't complete a series if I don't find it interesting (exceptions being Franxx and Sukasuka).

It's not that I want to drop it, it's just that I, eventually, start to put off watching more episodes until I simply don't care anymore.

Oct 2, 2018 5:16 AM

I'm a completionist, I don't really like seeing anime in dropped or on-hold for long.

Oct 2, 2018 5:23 AM

Not a completionist, but I don´t drop too much.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]