Forum Settings
Forums

How Much Do You Know and Care about Anime staff?

New
Sep 29, 2018 10:29 PM
Mar 2016
I only know few anime directors. I am bad with names anyways so I can't seem to remember. Same goes for animators, I only know Yutaka Nakamura.

But I really like seeing an anime coming from an established director.

Studios are different tho. I know most of them and always check out which one did which anime.
Sep 29, 2018 11:22 PM

Jun 2017
Same but not because of forgetting names, mostly because I don't care
Sep 29, 2018 11:26 PM

Oct 2017
Most people only care about the studios, I can't even name one director. The only animator I know of is Ema Yasuhara, I don't know of any others.
Sep 29, 2018 11:33 PM

May 2009
I think I can name more anime soundtrack composers than any other staff position. Possibly all other staff positions combined.

Hitoshi Sakimoto, Kenji Kawai, Shirou Sagisu, Shinkichi Mitsumune, Masamichi Amano, Yuki Kajiura, Shirou Hamaguchi, Keiichi Okabe, Go Shiina, Megumi Oohashi, Akiko Shikata, Masato Kouda, Yoko Kanno, Ryuichi Takada, Slavek Kowalewski, Rasmus Faber, ...

I DEFINITELY can't name that many directors, writers, or even studios. (A-1, Bones, Xebec, Gonzo, Gainax, Ghibli, Shaft, ...is Aniplex a studio? or just a licensor/distributor?)
GlennMagusHarveySep 30, 2018 12:07 AM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 29, 2018 11:34 PM

Jan 2018
Don't know, like if I do know I would forget it soon either way.
Sep 29, 2018 11:35 PM

May 2016
The thought didn't even cross my head. I only know voice actors and that's it.
Sep 29, 2018 11:38 PM

Dec 2013
My alarm bells go off when I see a director known for a particular/unique style, but tbh the first staff member I usually look for is the composer lol. The difference between a series with forgettable music and one that consumes is astonishing.
Sep 29, 2018 11:41 PM

Aug 2016
I know mostly voice actors (out of any staff I know but overall I know limited voice actors specifically), several creators/directors of works, and a few composers, but that's about it. I know them over time with minimal effort. I rather not go into a spiral of madness trying to correlate each specific staff position doing what work and then to see if a certain duo/trio/group of staff are in another anime work. If there's a cool way of counting the works of each particular staff members in like say your favorites (and this is also assuming we get more than 10), then yeah, that'd be great.
Sep 29, 2018 11:41 PM

Mar 2015
Here recently I've been caring more about directors/etc.,

but all I know is that Masaaki Yuasa is a god,
I'll probably like anything from Yasuhiro Nightow,
and that I should probably check out anything Yoshitoshi Abe and Tatsuya Ishihara work on.
woah there
Sep 29, 2018 11:42 PM

Dec 2016
Only really know and care about music composers, Yuki Hayashi, Taku Iwasaki, Hiroyuki Sawano, Kensuke Ushio, etc.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2018 11:44 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
I know of a few of the staff members, mostly for the Sound Department though. After all, Sawano Hiroyuki is my favourite person of the anime industry so I know of a few other really good ones such as Yasuharu Takanashi, Yuki Kajiura and etc. As for the others, I’m only aware of a few well knows directors such as Tetsurou Araki, Ei Aoki and Watanabe(from Re;Zero). I know a lot of Voice Actors and Actresses though, but honestly who doesn’t?

I do care about such things, but not so much tbfh. Besides, I have a bad memory when it comes to names in general, so there you have it.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 29, 2018 11:45 PM

Feb 2014
I mostly care about directors, especially the ones who make original anime, or give their own original touch to adaptations and make them more suitable for the screen, instead of slavishly adapting the source material. People like Shinichiro Watanabe, Satoshi Kon, Isao Takahata, Hayao Miyazaki, Hiroshi Hamasaki, Kenji Kamiyama, Sayo Yamamoto, Naoko Yamada, Masaaki Yuasa, Seiji Mizushima, Ando Masahiro, Satou Junichi and a few more I don't remember right now.

Would have followed writers too, if most anime weren't adaptations.
Sep 29, 2018 11:48 PM

Aug 2017
Not much actually. I mostly just check the studios and that is about it. But if i like the music i will sometimes check the music composer. But i do know some really well known directors and voice actors because i see the anime community talk about them often. But i never voluntarily check the stuff.
Sep 29, 2018 11:49 PM

May 2009
MechKingKillbot said:
I know mostly voice actors (out of any staff I know but overall I know limited voice actors specifically), several creators/directors of works, and a few composers, but that's about it. I know them over time with minimal effort. I rather not go into a spiral of madness trying to correlate each specific staff position doing what work and then to see if a certain duo/trio/group of staff are in another anime work. If there's a cool way of counting the works of each particular staff members in like say your favorites (and this is also assuming we get more than 10), then yeah, that'd be great.
Ooh I forgot about voice actors. If I included those, the total number of staff people I know aside from composers would probably exceed the number of composers I know. But I'm still not sure I can actually name that many. (Nana Mizuki, Eri Kitamura, Asami Imai, Megumi Ogata, Norio Wakamoto, Miyuki Sawashiro, Mayu Watanabe (barely counts), Rie Kugimiya, Kana Hanazawa, ... and then we can add dub voice actors like Colleen Clinkenbeard, Cristina Vee, Laura Bailey, Johnny Yong Bosch, Bryce Papenbrook, ...)

Hisou said:
Only really know and care about music composers, Yuki Hayashi, Taku Iwasaki, Hiroyuki Sawano, Kensuke Ushio, etc.
Ooh, someone else who pays attention to the composers! :D

What kinds of styles or quirks do each of these composers tend toward? And what shows have they done?
GlennMagusHarveySep 30, 2018 12:05 AM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 30, 2018 12:02 AM
Apr 2016
I only know hideo kojima, he made some very nice cgi anime movies, respect!
Sep 30, 2018 12:05 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
I don't really care. I only remember studios anyway and I'm not going to choose anime to watch based on that.

Sometimes I recognise voice actors based on ther voice but I only remember Kana Hanezawa and Saito Chiwa because I really liked their performances and cared enough to search for them.
Sep 30, 2018 12:43 AM

Feb 2013
i know a bunch of notable directors/writers/mangaka, and many studios
Sep 30, 2018 12:49 AM

Mar 2015
I know some, but aside from music composers/seiyuu I don't really care lul
Sep 30, 2018 12:56 AM

Jan 2010
Only seiyuus and some studios, and some music composer.
But it's not really matter for me. Only a bonus if I like the staff.
Sep 30, 2018 1:10 AM

Nov 2017
even i know them... i cant find their email addres or even find a ways to meet them, of course for bussines purpose
Now Loading.....
Sep 30, 2018 1:14 AM

Apr 2016
Not much, it's not like i'm the one paying them.

MUHAAHHHAHAHAHAHAA
Sep 30, 2018 1:14 AM

Jan 2016
I don't really care tbh. I just a little care with Studio and Cast.
Sep 30, 2018 1:16 AM

Oct 2013
I know very little about staff tbh
I just know that if Watanabe Shinichiro or Urobuchi Gen has their name on a product then it’s best to avoid that show
Sep 30, 2018 1:26 AM

Feb 2018
I am terrible at remembering names epecially Japanese ones that's why I don't really know any anime directors etc.
Sep 30, 2018 1:30 AM
Jul 2018
With around 800 anime, I know like Satoshi Kon and Miyasucky. I don't know anything about staff and studios but that doesn't stop me from shitting on bad anime and praising the good ones.
Sep 30, 2018 1:45 AM

Dec 2015
I try to remember some of the directors and composers whose work I really liked, but there are like only 5 of them.

I pay more attention to the studios and seiyuu.

Sep 30, 2018 2:11 AM

Oct 2010
I don't try to remember the directors or some animators. When I see yuasa and original anime I try to avoid. Yamakan is funny cause he's always complaining about how the world is against him.
Sep 30, 2018 2:14 AM
Aug 2016
Whenever I like something about about an anime, I investigate the hell out of it, I especially like to know whoever directed/story-boarded an opening/ending that I liked.
Sep 30, 2018 2:15 AM
Jul 2018
i don't know any anime staff lmao.
idc about them,simple as that
Sep 30, 2018 2:18 AM

Apr 2016
I only know of directors, bg artists, the people who do the soundtrack, OP/ED artists and the Seiyuu. Studios as well obviously. That's all I know.
Sep 30, 2018 2:22 AM

Mar 2017
I only know about couple of studios, but not really about staff, except voice actors.
Sep 30, 2018 2:24 AM

Nov 2014
They are pretty damn important and can be used as a reference point when picking anime to watch. Certainly more accurate than the "Oh dis studio gud" or "Oh dis studio bad" that people usually go by, where most of the time the studios are a revolving door of staff (with only a handful of studios mostly using permanent staff).

Too bad I'm not bothered enough to thoroughly look into it. I've only really picked a few anime based on the script writers, with most of it manually sniffing them out by watching a little bit of them.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Sep 30, 2018 2:29 AM

May 2015
Yes to a degree, like I'd go on their page and see what other anime they directed and usually watch them too but sometimes they're completely unrelated anime in both style and themes or even execution. There are more variables than directors like source and script.

I care much more about manga since the author has much more importance there.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2018 5:21 AM

Apr 2016
I care quite a lot about seiyuus and I know a couple of directors and music compositors. That's about it, I would like to know more though.

Sep 30, 2018 5:51 AM

Feb 2010
Over the years I started to remember and recognize a fair amount of names. Mostly directors and animators, but also some VAs and composers and background artists. But I don't often look them up beforehand, rather after or while I watch something that really left an impression in one or more areas.

It's a shame so many people don't pay attention to directors in particular. Some of my favorite ones are barely even known among the anime community, like Hara Keiichi and Hata Masami. Their movies are fantastic.

Animators are more of a personal passion since I love the animation medium and am fascinated with creative and impressive use of it. I have sakuga compilations of all my favorite animators bookmarked that I rewatch regularly when I'm in the mood to spoil myself a bit. Shinya Ohira and Hiroyuki Okiura are probably my favorites and also the ones who started my interest in sakuga, but there's plenty more that I love, like Toshiyuki Inoue, Yoshimichi Kameda, Takeshi Koike, Yoshinori Kanada, Shinya Takahashi, Yutaka Nakamura, Akira Hamaguchi and Sunghoo Park.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 30, 2018 6:12 AM

Oct 2015
I'm good at remembering names, so I do know a fair number of directors and key animators. Usually voice actors/actresses are more well-known by watchers since they're more easily recognizable but I actually don't really care about them.
Sep 30, 2018 6:46 AM

Jul 2017
I tend to forget their names but not for studios though.
Sep 30, 2018 6:50 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Vhailor said:
I mostly care about directors, especially the ones who make original anime, or give their own original touch to adaptations and make them more suitable for the screen, instead of slavishly adapting the source material. People like Shinichiro Watanabe, Satoshi Kon, Isao Takahata, Hayao Miyazaki, Hiroshi Hamasaki, Kenji Kamiyama, Sayo Yamamoto, Naoko Yamada, Masaaki Yuasa, Seiji Mizushima, Ando Masahiro, Satou Junichi and a few more I don't remember right now.

God forbid an anime follows the source material to a T, am I right?
Looking at your list, you barely read manga so you wouldn't know the pain of seeing a manga you like get a shit adaptation that doesn't follow the manga.
Sep 30, 2018 7:15 AM

Feb 2014
DepravedMagi said:
Vhailor said:

God forbid an anime follows the source material to a T, am I right?
Looking at your list, you barely read manga so you wouldn't know the pain of seeing a manga you like get a shit adaptation that doesn't follow the manga.

By not being slavishly faithful, I don't mean add some random shit and alter the story in a way that goes against the spirit of the source material. When I watch an anime, I want to watch a proper TV show that uses the medium of animation to tell the story visually, not an "animated manga".
Sep 30, 2018 7:17 AM

May 2018
Don't care at all. All I care is the anime itself they produce.
Sep 30, 2018 7:17 AM

Jan 2009
im bad with names but i usually check out the MAL page of a staff member to see their past works

more fans should check out the staff involve rather than the studio imho
Sep 30, 2018 9:22 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Very little

Yeah I care enough that I find it sad these guys ain't being paid enough.
But established names don't mean anything to me as I don't do brand loyalty to begin with.
I watch what sounds interesting, not all the stuff my favorite person or group has made.
Sep 30, 2018 12:35 PM

May 2018
I really wish I knew more, but the voice actors I know best, for the most part. I know a few directors and writers, but only if a series of theirs piqued my interest, I'll look them up, otherwise, I don't know too much.
Sep 30, 2018 1:12 PM

Apr 2018
I actually think they are more important factor than anything except the source material to predict I'd like the anime or not. Though I rarely take a look unless important people that I know work with it.
Sep 30, 2018 1:44 PM

Jul 2012
Very little to both questions. I almost never research staff and the only time it ever really gets my attention is when I distinctly recognize a voice or when it results in an in-show reference. But even in those cases it just ends up being passing trivia at best that I'll likely forget until it becomes relevant again. Studios I admittedly keep track of more because it's just advertised more, easy to reference and easy to remember. But I probably couldn't name a single director from any studio except Ghibli because of the Miyazaki memes.
Sep 30, 2018 1:46 PM

Jun 2016
Remembering some of their names is the least I can do for ripping them off.
Sep 30, 2018 5:01 PM

Nov 2016
I never check. i know none. Zero. I don't care at all.
but i thank all of them for their hard work
Sep 30, 2018 5:06 PM

Dec 2016
I'll be totally honest here: I really have no interest at all about anime staff. I barely know the names and respective works of a few directors and that's it.
Sep 30, 2018 5:10 PM

Apr 2018
I did not care for any of that stuff before but now I am actually trying to know the details of those people behind the scenes especially the seiyuus.

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9051 by appledude1221 »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

21 by Super-Sugoi »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

36 by piroriparopirira »»
19 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

65 by Sorachin »»
28 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

32 by Soverign »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.