Forum Settings
Forums
Sep 29, 2018 12:25 PM

So why do some companies find it hard to translate games and anime into English for westerners? And some other things we may like may not get a official translation but a bad fan dub? Why is this?

Sep 29, 2018 12:27 PM

Cause it may flop there?
And western people tend to pirate stuffs so yeah

Sep 29, 2018 12:28 PM

Because Japan doesn't give 2 shits about the filthy gaijin.

Sep 29, 2018 12:58 PM
Forum Moderator
No.

It's all about the money and stuff like VNs isn't that popular enough in the west to justify a localization.

Sep 29, 2018 1:03 PM

what fan dubs are you thinking about?

Sep 29, 2018 1:06 PM

LN and VN haven't become "mainstream" like anime has, maybe that's why.

Sep 29, 2018 3:22 PM

how are we supposed to know?we are just consumers

Sep 29, 2018 3:33 PM

VNs don't really sell from what I see on Steam.

>Learn and be fluent in Japanese
>Sub all the non translated games/anime into x language
>Become a legend in the sub community
>Profit
⠀⠀⠀⠀
"The show was a trainwreck, but hey incest is wincest."
"Fuck the Chinese government."

Sep 29, 2018 3:38 PM

Concerns over whether the material in question would profit internationally aside, there are three levels of "localization" as it tends to be known these days:

Translation ~ Just changing one language to another, often with translator's notes if the literal is favored over the liberal. Fanslations are probably the most common way you'll encounter this alone these days.
Localization ~ The traditional/old standard of not only translating but ensuring the material fits the market trend it was intended for in foreign locales by making additional edits to fit those trends. Doki Doki Panic being turned into Super Mario Bros. 2 in the west fits this bill.
Culturization ~ Instead of making edits to suit market trends, edits are made to change the original material to fit the culture of the foreign locale it's being imported to. This is becoming more common in modern times, though an older example would be 4Kids anime dubs, which heavily censored not just material that was thought to be age-inappropriate but also Japanese cultural elements as a whole (rice balls becoming jelly doughnuts for instance).

So, with each step in this list becoming more expensive than the last (extra people and time needed due to the increase in changes and therefore work) and with the most expensive being emphasized more often (especially for material going to the west) you have an issue of cost, and a more complicated matter as to just who the target audience is by the end ~ regular consumers or foreign enthusiasts? All the corporate minds that go over this have in front of them (barring expertise in the field they may or may not have) will often be charts and numbers focused on prices and profitability, and in many cases it may simply be seen as a risk not worth taking.
Modified by TK8878, Sep 29, 2018 3:42 PM

Sep 29, 2018 5:20 PM

Those games are already succesfull in Japan, so they might not want to localize it.

Another reason is due to the fact that the taste is different with the west and Japan. Japanese enjoy their VN while the other struggle to understand the meaning of every dialogue.
Even my friend was questioning me when i was playing the story mode of P4Arena and it was an hour of VN in the story mode of Labrys.

And Japanese tend to have an eccentric taste when it comes to game.
I write anime stuffs here.

http://paullevesque.blogspot.co.id/

Sep 29, 2018 5:25 PM

TKB928 said:
Doki Doki Panic being turned into Super Mario Bros. 2 in the west fits this bill.

The Japanese name for Super Mario Bros. is Doki Doki Panic? My whole life has been a lie...

Sep 29, 2018 7:44 PM

They don't really give a damn in Japan so yeah.

Sep 29, 2018 10:17 PM

ProfessionalNEET said:
TKB928 said:
Doki Doki Panic being turned into Super Mario Bros. 2 in the west fits this bill.

The Japanese name for Super Mario Bros. is Doki Doki Panic? My whole life has been a lie...
In case this is a serious question:

game titles:

Super Mario Bros. (JP/NA)

Super Mario Bros. 2 (JP) = Super Mario Bros.: the Lost Levels (NA, unreleased until Super Mario All-Stars)

Yume Koujou: Doki Doki Panic (JP) = no direct western equivalent

Super Mario Bros. USA (JP, released 3 years after its NA release) = Super Mario Bros. 2 (NA) = basically, a romhack of Doki Doki Panic changing the main characters and other things to Mario characters

Super Mario Bros. 3 (JP/NA)

Oct 4, 2018 3:51 AM

Reina_Orikasa said:
VNs don't really sell from what I see on Steam.

>Learn and be fluent in Japanese
>Sub all the non translated games/anime into x language
>Become a legend in the sub community
>Profit

This post is under my radar so here you go again.

Oct 4, 2018 4:01 AM
Akerakai said:
Cause it may flop there?
And western people tend to pirate stuffs so yeah

When you say western people you mean fake gamers “pc “gamers” using a emulator