Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 29, 2018 8:33 AM
May 2018
So I was wondering

1. What’s this anime about because I didn’t really get anything from the description

2. Is it a good anime ie. plot, characters ect.

3. Is it worth watching??
Sep 29, 2018 11:38 AM
May 2018
I'm currently watching this show and came across this post.

1. It's about rakugo performers and their relationships.

2. The characters are quite different from typical anime characters. They're complicated -- many people are good but possess some unlikeable traits. Every episode have short rakugo performances performed by the characters that complements the overall plot, pushing it along, and giving insight to what the characters are thinking.

I will warn that the first episode is basically an introduction to the real plot of the show.

3. I think it's a pretty compelling plot and find it quite good. However, if you find the rakugo performances boring, it may be quite hard to appreciate.

I think if you appreciate seeing a drama with strong male friendships, you don't mind a slower paced plot, and you're interested in traditional Japanese cilture, it's definitely worth a try.
Apr 8, 2020 6:55 AM
May 2018
aenigmaclamo said:
I'm currently watching this show and came across this post.

1. It's about rakugo performers and their relationships.

2. The characters are quite different from typical anime characters. They're complicated -- many people are good but possess some unlikeable traits. Every episode have short rakugo performances performed by the characters that complements the overall plot, pushing it along, and giving insight to what the characters are thinking.

I will warn that the first episode is basically an introduction to the real plot of the show.

3. I think it's a pretty compelling plot and find it quite good. However, if you find the rakugo performances boring, it may be quite hard to appreciate.

I think if you appreciate seeing a drama with strong male friendships, you don't mind a slower paced plot, and you're interested in traditional Japanese cilture, it's definitely worth a try.

Thank you! I think I might try it then
Apr 9, 2020 3:56 PM

Dec 2016
This became my all time favourite anime ever. I randomly picked it up too.

You will miss out big time if you don’t watch it!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :D
Apr 12, 2020 2:38 PM

Feb 2017
It's awesome, you should watch if you want to be relaxed and watch a story with lots of twists in it. It starts off kind of boring, but the story starts off by episode 2. It's traditional Japanese stuff mixed with nice music and animation.

『時間は限られています。時間は貴重です。今それを住んでいます。』

Jun 8, 2020 2:21 AM

Apr 2013
It's a great anime but (this may sound bit elitist) it's not for everyone. It's a good drama revolving around a traditional storytelling method used in Japan. There are no fights or anything like that. If you decide to give it a go I hope you enjoy it.
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Aug 12, 2020 10:15 AM

Dec 2008
Can anyone tell me why this is labeled "Josei"?
IS there some male x male stuff in here like in much of the genre? Or is that honestly just a mislabeling of the show? Over emphasis on drama can be a killer at times. Thanks either way.
Aug 12, 2020 10:53 AM

Sep 2014
AnchientProphet2 said:
IS there some male x male stuff in here like in much of the genre? Or is that honestly just a mislabeling of the show? Over emphasis on drama can be a killer at times. Thanks either way.

Josei only mean that the original manga was serialized in a Josei magazine. There is no other meaning behind the tag Josei, it is simply and only a target demographic.
Feb 16, 2021 9:42 AM

Oct 2011
I'm 4 episodes in and find it boring so far but giving it a chance until the end since it seems to be praised and rated pretty high.
Apr 11, 2021 8:11 AM
Jul 2017
I watched 3 episodes and found it really damn boring
Apr 11, 2021 3:40 PM
Jun 2020
kimyy said:
So I was wondering

1. What’s this anime about because I didn’t really get anything from the description

2. Is it a good anime ie. plot, characters ect.

3. Is it worth watching??

It's definitely one of the best anime that I have seen and the second season is very good.
It's a Josei, what is a Josei? It is basically the demographic that deals with human issues directed to a more mature public, specifically that of women, it is like the counterpart of the Seinen.
So if you are one of those who watches a lot of shounen it will eventually bore you, but if you appreciate things like the script, photography, characters, soundtrack, etc... it's one of the best anime you can see.
Apr 11, 2021 3:47 PM
Jun 2020
AnchientProphet2 said:

Is Josei is one more demographic, it is the counterpart of seinen (which is aimed at a more adult male public), therefore Josei would be the same but for adult women. ManxMan relationships are generally called 'Yaoi', in this Anime you will not find any of that, but you will find one of the best friends in the history of anime/manga such as Yakuno and Sukeroku.
Apr 11, 2021 3:50 PM
Jun 2020
Rezefus said:
It's a great anime but (this may sound bit elitist) it's not for everyone. It's a good drama revolving around a traditional storytelling method used in Japan. There are no fights or anything like that. If you decide to give it a go I hope you enjoy it.

What you say is a fact, it is not for everyone and that it sounds elitist does not mean that it is not a fact. Many people only watch shounen (including me) and do not give other works a chance, but it also depends on the taste of each one (for something the series/anime/movies have categories), but if you enjoy it, you are welcome.
Jun 20, 2021 2:44 PM

Jul 2011
Boring af

Unless you're into super slow pacing, 0 action, paperthin but pretentious characters and lots of talks about feelings.. Unsurprisingly it is labeled as Josei : )

Rakugo stories are good and entertaining however.

Overall, I'd say it's a mixedbag.. 5/10
Jun 22, 2021 5:43 AM

Nov 2007
nick_el_son said:
Unsurprisingly it is labeled as Josei : )

How to tell me you are misogynist without telling me you are a misogynist
Aug 7, 2021 11:09 AM
Oct 2020
It's a beautiful show. One of the best pieces of art I've ever seen.
Sep 10, 2022 10:58 AM
Aug 2021
This anime is a story about rakuga artists. Rakuga means story telling. This anime has two seasons and it is officially completed. Season 1 starts with a man named Yotarou who recently came out of prison and want to be an apprentice of greatest rekuga artist Yakumo (Bon). He accepts him as his apprentice. One day he tells his past to his apprentice and Konatsu who is the daughter of his best friend Sukeroku (Shin). He narrates his whole story to them. It basically surrounds around him and Sukeroku (Shin). They both are of opposite personality. He tells how they become friends and their story of becoming great rekugo artists. This story consists of friendship, love, loneliness and pain. It is a mixture of great happiness and sadness. You will laugh as well as cry while watching this and it connects you with the personal life of them. It has great twist which will make you shock for some time and you have to pause it to contain your emotions. Season 1 ends with that story.
Now season 2 starts. This season highlights more on Konatsu and Yotarau his journey of becoming rekuga artist and trying to achieve his promise to his master of preserving rekuga culture. At the end of season 1 you will find that Konatsu is pregnant and will not tell the name of the father. Now Yotarau wants to support her to raise that child. This season also connects the story of Bon and Shin From season 1 which is the best part of it. It ends with a mix feeling of sorrow and joy, but it is satisfactory. You will love this anime. It is very funny and emotional and you get to hear a lot of new stories during their rekugo performance which are very interesting. It has become one of my favourite anime of all time because it connects you to the beauty of friendship.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

262 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
Feb 14, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

110 by itsagibbousmoon »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

196 by Abdullla_aah »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

134 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.