Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Tokyo Ghoul:re 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion

Oct 9, 2018 11:11 PM
I feel like they changed Eto's appearance a bit. She seems more beautiful now xD or maybe it's my imagination

Oct 10, 2018 12:08 AM

here we go again with the trainwreck of TG...
OP by Ling Toshite Shigure was awesome.
3/5.

Oct 10, 2018 12:50 AM

I liked this episode. The OP was weird imo

Oct 10, 2018 1:04 AM

As long I get some of my favorite moments and scenes from the Manga then I can care less if its Abridged as hell.

The ones I want are Kakuja Amon and Takizawa fight, Kaneki and Touka Ghoul Whoopie and mostly Kakuja Kaneki vs Furuta Final Battle, also Kurona, Kakuja Tatara, and the happy ending with Kaneki, Touka, there daughter and everyone else.

Also get some good music like Unraveled out of it too.
Modified by HollowIchigo58, Oct 10, 2018 1:30 AM

Oct 10, 2018 1:36 AM

I dont even know why I still bother with this messy storytelling, I guess I just need my dose of edge
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

Oct 10, 2018 2:54 AM

Okay, what I don't understand is why people say it was hard to understand this episode?
As a dedicated hater of the original Tokyo Ghoul, I enjoyed it a lot, :re remains effortlessly stylish.

And the amount of people screaming 'mangaaa!' is incredible. Reminds me of when I read Tokyo Ghoul years back, as seemingly everybody kept claiming it's good and it turned out to be the same pile of shit the anime was with a few pieces moved.

Oct 10, 2018 4:44 AM

So everything that made this anime special (1st season of TG) was first of all ghouls, which is common af now since 95% of the population has to be ghouls, then one eyed ghouls, but since there are new ones every episodes what's the point, the feels which are gone as well (well actually i feel... i feel sad for the path this anime has taken), what good points has the 1st season of TG left for TG:RE 2? Why are they doing everything to make this anime even worse season per season, episode per episode?
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.

Oct 10, 2018 5:58 AM
The anime is such a trash, they fucking skipped a whole arc which was expected but for the sake of god please at least make it decent to watch, studio pierrot.

That scene where eto declares that she's a ghoul was amazing in the manga but in anime it's trash.

I bet the anime only watchers don't even get what is happening and in that case please read the manga, its like infinite times better than anime.

Oct 10, 2018 6:06 AM

The episode was ok, it just seemed a little all over the place. i wouldnt say its as bad as people say it is

Oct 10, 2018 6:41 AM
I do not wish to read manga and also why would I if I watch an anime adaptation I would expect them to do it properly not this half assed thing in which I am not able to understand a shit

there is no point in watching an ANIME if we have to read the manga to understand it

I still dont understand why the studio is doing this after receiving so much criticism from the previous season

also hate to learn that touka is a "supporting character" in this season

just gonna wait for kaneki action i suppose

Oct 10, 2018 7:58 AM
AutoHaddock said:
I could forgive pierrot for the lacklustre root a but this... why?

I confess I've only been into anime for a few years and manga even less but I genuinely adore the Tokyo Ghoul manga. I loved it so much that I am actually willing to spend what little money I have on paper volumes at full price because I find the story and characters engaging and the art beautiful. I thought it was impossible to ruin it and I rated TG s1 and :re s1 10/10 even though they don't deserve close to that because I just really enjoy TG. But when you cut an entire arc down to two minutes of cutscenes it cannot be redeemed. All the anime onlys are confused and all the manga readers are disappointed. It's not like the arc that they skipped was unimportant too - there's a number of things that should've happened which didn't. As I said, I haven't been watching anime all that long but this is one of the worst shows I've seen, and it had such good source material too. It didn't look all that good and even what they did keep they fiddled with unnecessarily, and the only reason it isn't a 1 is cos I did smile at the few remaining unbutchered moments. Please god let someone else have a go at a proper adaptation in the near because this is truly outrageous.

I know right, I've read the whole manga too and I'm pretty disappointed. Tokyo Ghoul Re is too big for two seasons of 12 episodes each. That's an average of 8 chapters per episode. Average chapter length was let's say 20 pages. That over 160 pages of manga per episode. That's just way too much. You're talking about just about 1500 seconds per 160 pages of manga. That's an average of 10 seconds per page. How is that even possible? There's just way too much content for 24 episodes. You'd need at least four seasons to cover the whole of Tokyo Ghoul. Too rushed. I wish a different studio was doing Tokyo Ghoul. Pierrot Studios is known for rushing.

Oct 10, 2018 8:00 AM
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:
This anime has always desperately tried to convey some deep message about humanity that has significant meaning; and as far back as season 1, I have been interested in trying to understand the point theyre trying to make; BUT the problem is the whole series has always been a huge clusterfuck of a mess.

Stuff just happens, and anyone who didnt read the manga has no effing clue whats even going on. The cinematic cues are terrible and make shit even more confusing; the story doesnt even continuously flow season to season; and in episodes like this, even each scene is completely disconnected from the next. New characters are thrown at you with no introduction and youre expected to know who they are and why they matter; on top of that, youre expected to remember characters who have had no screen time in the last season and a half; AND THEN they change the appearance of characters on a whim (I literally had no idea glasses dude was Kaneki until the last 5min). They dont let you inside what Kaneki is thinking either. Like what is his CURRENT state of mind?? Does he now remember who he is; is he still loyal the investigators; is back to being on the ghoul's side?

I know right, I might end up dropping this season. Season 1 was pretty damn good. What a huge letdown from Season 1. Season 1 was brilliantly done and now look where the show has gone. Damn, it doesn't anger me, it just feels bad.

Oct 10, 2018 8:26 AM
Really tacky serving the editor to the author as pate

Oct 10, 2018 9:31 AM
How can people vote this anime if it only has 1 episode?

Haters just hate everytime.

Oct 10, 2018 10:37 AM

Meh, wasnt that good but still wasn't boring the Re season one so there is still hope.why they have to change the ART in RE? original was great....

Oct 10, 2018 10:59 AM
Being an anime only for this series because I've been lazy to read the manga I already somewhat expected the pacing to be a bit off, but wow did this feel rushed throughout the episode. Guess it's time to start reading the manga.

Oct 10, 2018 12:48 PM
I was so disapointed at the previous season, I definiftly don't like Sasaki, but as it ended with Kaneki regaining his memories, I wish this season will be better.
I didn't saw the first episode yet, but I see people getting confused about it.

Oct 10, 2018 2:02 PM
FuMomo-kun said:
Did they seriously skip a whole arc? They are about to cram a lot of content into 12 episodes. Really hope Tokyo Ghoul gets a better adaptation, one day. The voice acting was great, but the story is a mess.

We didn't get to see much of the black reaper. I really wanted to see him do all the things he did in the manga.

Does any of the anime-only viewers even remember Sachi? He appeared in season 2, and fought with Kaneki. He was supposed to have a much longer scene.

They showed Amon's face as if it's just normal that he'd be alive after everything that happened to him.

I am not really sure if Mutsuki has been captured yet. They made it really confusing.

Hope this isn't the real episode. Like, I hope we get to see a proper version when it actually releases.

When the episode was almost over, I realised there were no subtitles. Apparently, I can understand spoken anime Japanese. lol!
True dude. The story is all over the place for anime only's it's like Tokyo Ghoul Re: season 1 all over again. -_-

Oct 10, 2018 3:12 PM

Lmfao, what a poor treatment this series is getting.
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.

Oct 10, 2018 5:07 PM

ceskmcfran said:

I as a manga reader think that the score is the result of this half assed trash of an anime adaptation.
Just in the first episode pierrot rushed the f*ck out of the story and cut a los of important and epic scenes, fights, character development, ETC.

I personally gave it a 3 out of 10 (just beacuse i liked the Eto service + the OP)
Modified by tottobennington, Oct 11, 2018 1:07 AM

Oct 10, 2018 5:16 PM

Disappointing.

Trash, only trash.

1/5
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Oct 10, 2018 7:18 PM

Still don't get Ken Kaneki's stupid personality. He is one confused bastard.
¡Ay, caramba! --- Bart Simpson

Oct 10, 2018 7:44 PM

Lunilah said:
AhmedJafar1 said:
How many chapters were did they actually adapt there ? 50? I wonder how Anime onlys feel right now? does it evev make sense for them?
I don't know if it's just me being a dumbass, but last season and this season kept making me confused on who is who until its explicitly stated because people keep changing appearances and sometimes added with the fact that it's been forever since i've seen them at all.

I didn't immediately recognize Kaneki because we just spent an entire season with dual colored hair, minus the ending. Now it's fully back to black and with glasses? Threw me off until his name was actually spoken. Same goes for that book author, i thought she was like 10+ years older with way longer hair?

I think i'm just getting things wrong or misremembering? I don't know.

Glad I'm not alone when it comes to this. And my mind processed that it was Kaneki, but it's also like he's a completely different person...again. There are so many characters in this series and the anime just constantly switches back and forth to the point where you barely even recognize them. Also, it doesn't help that people in here have said they've completely skipped an arc? Hence the further confusion.

Anyway, I've been really enjoying my experience with the Tokyo Ghoul anime these past couple of years. A new season starts and it feels like they've skipped episodes and episodes of content in-between. Every single time. Absolutely bizarre.
That's okay, though, because I'll finally understand everything by mid-season. Also just like every single time lol.

Oct 10, 2018 8:01 PM

I really feel sad for the anime only watchers. Tokyo ghoul deserves better.

Oct 10, 2018 8:27 PM

I already expected that its going to be this rushed. I guess I'll just going to look forward to see the manga scenes in animated form, regardless on how they skim it. Honestly it really saddened me how this series gets this rushed treatment, I'm still looking forward for brotherhood treatment someday

At least, its nice to hear again TK in TG since unravel, ahh the nostalgia.

Oct 10, 2018 10:04 PM

RaidenHUN said:
OMG

This anime got fucked so bad again....
Not to mention they are going to adapt the rest of the manga in 12 episodes??? How?

Pierrot is really the shitties anime studio ever.
Calm down a little.
Who knows if the studio has other stuffs to do? Like, producing countless number of Boruto plotless filler episodes. That is certainly more important than doing a proper adaptation of a best-selling manga, isn't it?
I just realized that all of my favorite characters, beside being stunningly beautiful, are also exceptionally skilled at killing. {×.×}

Oct 10, 2018 10:09 PM

SNDT said:
I feel like they changed Eto's appearance a bit. She seems more beautiful now xD or maybe it's my imagination
Eto has always been like that, supposedly. Or perhaps it could be just me biased, being an Eto fan.
I just realized that all of my favorite characters, beside being stunningly beautiful, are also exceptionally skilled at killing. {×.×}

Oct 10, 2018 10:23 PM

i never read the manga, but its not a terrible plot so far.
I can understand the hate (as i FMA'd)
but i think that if you view it as a standalone away from the manga its not terrible.

But boy they went for that edge by bringing back toshite shigure....

Oct 10, 2018 11:05 PM

My basic understanding of this episode was that Studio Pierrot tried to cram 10-15 chapters into a single episode, which leads me confused and unable to understand what the effing is going on.

Oct 11, 2018 12:17 AM

I'm only here to see chapter 125 and the final chapter animated, i'm gonna keep reading the manga cuz the anime does not deserve my sanity

Oct 11, 2018 1:02 AM

tottobennington said:
ceskmcfran said:

I as a manga reader that score is the result of this half assed trash of an anime adaptation.
Just in the first episode pierrot rushed the f*ck out of the stoy and cut a los of important and epic scenes, fights, character development, ETC.

I personally gave it a 4 out of 10 (just beacuse i liked the Eto service + the OP)

They didnt even bother to consider quality check.

TG is already a hot mess right after season 1.

Pierrot is a mistake.

Oct 11, 2018 3:22 AM
How is it that I expect literally bullshit from Pierrot and still end up being disappointed because the show is worse that utter bullshit?

Oct 11, 2018 3:30 AM
Revoltage1022 said:
ZeroRules said:

between tg:re s1 and s2 anything happened, to understand the story you should start reading from chapter 1 of tokyo ghoul manga, although tg re is a very bad adaptation whats makes it incomprehensible is root a being no canon
idk I heard they skipped an arc or something , is reading the manga from the beginning worth it tho

It's worth it. The story is extremely good but I think Ishida did a mistake of having too many characters in the plot.

Oct 11, 2018 6:16 AM
They skipped many things, a real pity, I hope they do not ruin it anymore, thank you very much Studio Pierrot, again you ruined an adaptation that I liked.

At least I hope that the riot in the jail is well done

Oct 11, 2018 8:58 AM
As an anime only viewer, I am royally confused about what is going on. I stopped trying to figure out the story line after I learned that root A was filler (or mostly filler). I do plan on reading the manga eventually. However, I like the themes and soundtrack of this anime, so I'll keep watching. Hopefully, this starts making sense. It is a shame though, since Tokyo Ghoul had the potential to be an all timer.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Oct 11, 2018 9:55 AM

Guys this was just a preview episode.
I don't think they are really going to skip a whole arc and be content with presenting this because this episode looks like a trailer tbh.
I think they are going to develop what just happened in the next episode which is assumed to be the 1st.

Manga readers please stop writing hate comments :'( .. They are so harmful and it pains me to see actual people rating this ep 0/10. That's insane and irrational however this adaptation is.
I am an Anime-only and I do get your motivation. I also feel disappointed with the rush and the bad animation/colors since it's my fav anime, nonetheless I enjoyed this ep, It made me so hyped and I could figure out what happened without the need of spoilers.

I hope someday another studio could make a full adaptation of TG and do it justice but now, Pierrot studio is our one and only option and I'm planning to see this season till the end.. then I'll go read the Manga.

Q : when will the next ep be aired ? is there some kind of a delay ?

I have a feeling that the studio's going to cancel everything after receiving this big wave of hate. Hope not !! ô_ô
Modified by LokamiLa, Oct 11, 2018 10:06 AM
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see,
except standing there leaning on the balcony railing,
holding the universe together.

- J.D. Salinger (A Girl I Knew)

Oct 11, 2018 11:54 AM
Why does everyone keep saying they skipped an arc? I rewatched the first episode reading the manga side by side and the whole Rushima 'preview' is set up really similarly, and definitely not skipped. I'm not defending the anime, I find the pacing and some of the changes bizarre as well as hating that they're trying to cram ~120 chapters into 1 cour but hey, it'll be a (maybe) decent manga highlight reel at least (hopefully).

For those who read the manga or don't really care about being 'spoiled' about things that weren't adapted, I'll drop my brief manga comparison below. (I only cover adapted chapters but there's a chance for some spoilers if the move some cut stuff ahead so non-mangas read at own risk,)

Really hope this doesn't get deleted or something because I've spent at least 2 hours on this now. I don't hate the show, it just makes me sad to see it like this. I've watched the first episode 3 times now and it feels a little more coherent each time but idk.

And if I did make any mistakes please correct me.

Oct 11, 2018 12:02 PM

Rage_Beat06 said:
i never read the manga, but its not a terrible plot so far.
I can understand the hate (as i FMA'd)
but i think that if you view it as a standalone away from the manga its not terrible.

Exactly. Finally someone said it :)
Most haters are Manga-readers. If you follow the comments you can see that Anime-only people are actually content with this ep. People should not mistake anime with manga. Anime is merely an adaptation and changes are always possible, sometimes enjoyable like the change of plot of TG season 2. I actually loved this season despite the fact that it's anime-original.

Oct 11, 2018 6:45 PM
Tokyo Ghoul:re 2nd Season

Oct 11, 2018 7:12 PM
Revoltage1022 said:
ZeroRules said:

between tg:re s1 and s2 anything happened, to understand the story you should start reading from chapter 1 of tokyo ghoul manga, although tg re is a very bad adaptation whats makes it incomprehensible is root a being no canon
idk I heard they skipped an arc or something , is reading the manga from the beginning worth it tho

Definitively, I was skeptical about reading all TG because I clearly remember the 1st season, but after finishing it it was a really worthy ride. If you like TG and want to read an amazing manga and get what's going in RE, give it a shot, you won't regret it.

Though you will need to read TG:RE afterwards, but you can star with TG.

Oct 11, 2018 9:34 PM
So can we agree that studio Pierrot is pretty much the EA of anime now? What they did with Tokyo Ghoul is disgusting and from what I've heard there other projects are suffering now too. They're cashing in on the name of a good manga and giving us an anime that makes a Wikipedia page look like a work of art. I'm so mad. I just assume everything Pierrot makes is gonna suck now.

Oct 11, 2018 9:38 PM
ABDoesThings said:
Revoltage1022 said:

It's worth it. The story is extremely good but I think Ishida did a mistake of having too many characters in the plot.
That's true, it's a little irritating in the manga but it still doesn't keep it from being amazing. Giving this to Pierrot who can't seem to manage to scrape together the effort to make a decent anime was Ishida's mistake.

Oct 11, 2018 10:32 PM
I just realized that I didn't watch finish the last season .. so I could be confused on what's happening in this episode but seems like everyone else are confused too :P

S2 still feel sub-standard when compared to S1, worse actually personally for me but we're just one episode in so it doesn't feel fair to judge so much yet.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 12, 2018 2:17 AM

Jesus Christ, I never expected this to be a gem of any sort but seeing them completely murder all those great points in manga and just breezing past the plot as fast as possible felt like a stab in the heart. Scenes like Furuta talking to Eto have zero weight.

I feel sorry for the anime-only watchers. You're better off just reading the manga and realizing how disappointing this franchise is as an anime.
what's up nakama

Oct 12, 2018 4:54 AM
Varris said:
ABDoesThings said:

That's true, it's a little irritating in the manga but it still doesn't keep it from being amazing. Giving this to Pierrot who can't seem to manage to scrape together the effort to make a decent anime was Ishida's mistake.

I know right. Studio Pierrot just completely fucked up the show.

Oct 12, 2018 9:16 AM

So when is the next episode ? Anyone knows ????

Oct 12, 2018 11:14 AM

LokamiLa said:
So when is the next episode ? Anyone knows ????
It's scheduled to air every Tuesday at 11 p.m. JST (or it's Tue, 9 p.m. in my place). So, the next episode will come on next Tuesday, October 16. Note that it actually depends on your location.

Oct 12, 2018 12:27 PM

umm whats goin on here, guess im reading the manga now lol

Oct 12, 2018 4:12 PM
Just here to laugh at everyone who didn't realize this was a waste of time by the early half (practically episode 1) of last season lol
Cheers my friends
1.1.Six

Oct 13, 2018 12:45 PM

PixelGuysLuis said:
Why does everyone keep saying they skipped an arc? I rewatched the first episode reading the manga side by side and the whole Rushima 'preview' is set up really similarly, and definitely not skipped. I'm not defending the anime, I find the pacing and some of the changes bizarre as well as hating that they're trying to cram ~120 chapters into 1 cour but hey, it'll be a (maybe) decent manga highlight reel at least (hopefully).

For those who read the manga or don't really care about being 'spoiled' about things that weren't adapted, I'll drop my brief manga comparison below. (I only cover adapted chapters but there's a chance for some spoilers if the move some cut stuff ahead so non-mangas read at own risk,)

Really hope this doesn't get deleted or something because I've spent at least 2 hours on this now. I don't hate the show, it just makes me sad to see it like this. I've watched the first episode 3 times now and it feels a little more coherent each time but idk.

And if I did make any mistakes please correct me.

Whoa, thanks for all your hard work in there! Nice analysis. Also I agree with you and hope that Tooru/Torso will get at least some flashback, I mean.. it was really important for Tooru character (dont want to write more and spoil something...)
“You are not alone, Ash. I am with you. My soul is with you.” - Eiji Okumura.

Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »