Forum Settings
Forums

Should Chinese "Anime" be removed from MAL?

Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Post New Reply
Oct 1, 2018 6:21 PM

-SP- said:
Kuma said:

so, who are those? which part they done other than outsource animation? is it significant? is it done in japan?

Well if a Japanese studio is working on the storyboards, that aspect is obviously going to be worked in Japan. As for the significance I honestly couldn't tell you, I am no fan of the series, animation is a huge turnoff from the series so I don't know all the little details.

lOl, so what's the point of this thread then? those 2 directors is only credited as supervisor, the animation is outsourched in japan and the rest production is done in america with american staff.... using neo yukio as argument is dumb, and not disqualified china and korean being here... neo yukio clearly doesn't fullfill the DB guideline... those korean and chinese animation do fulfill...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

Oct 1, 2018 6:37 PM

Kuma said:
-SP- said:

Well if a Japanese studio is working on the storyboards, that aspect is obviously going to be worked in Japan. As for the significance I honestly couldn't tell you, I am no fan of the series, animation is a huge turnoff from the series so I don't know all the little details.

lOl, so what's the point of this thread then? those 2 directors is only credited as supervisor, the animation is outsourched in japan and the rest production is done in america with american staff.... using neo yukio as argument is dumb, and not disqualified china and korean being here... neo yukio clearly doesn't fullfill the DB guideline... those korean and chinese animation do fulfill...

I won't bother with you if you are too lazy to re-read my previous posts, I have already gone over why the Chinese and Korean shows don't match the guidelines Kineta outlined. And again the Japanese studios were also involved in the Storyboard process so they did contribute. As for the non-Japanese series on here, they usually have 0% Japanese contribution.

Oct 1, 2018 6:42 PM

-SP- said:
Kuma said:

I won't bother with you if you are too lazy to re-read my previous posts, I have already gone over why the Chinese and Korean shows don't match the guidelines Kineta outlined. And again the Japanese studios were also involved in the Storyboard process so they did contribute. As for the non-Japanese series on here, they usually have 0% Japanese contribution.

1. The following entries are allowed in the anime database:
Professionally produced, animated works created:
in Japan for the Japanese market;
in Korea/China for the Korean/Chinese market;
as a joint production between Japan/Korea/China and another country.
Note: This does not include productions where only the animation is outsourced.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=141101

so, where is it? in Neo Yukio, Japanese studio is not involved in Storyboard... just 2 individual credited as supervisor, for seperated episode... they not even work at the same time... again, look at transformers entries... the production company is both japanese company and US company... the animation is mostly japanese... the rest however is the reason not all transformer franchise in DB...
Modified by Kuma, Oct 1, 2018 6:46 PM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

Oct 1, 2018 7:27 PM

-SP- said:
So I am wondering what you guys think in regards to Chinese "Anime". Generally people consider "Anime" to be Japanese Animated series, even someone who doesn't watch Anime will generally associate it with Japan. So for the sake of this thread we will only associate "Anime" with Japan.

MAL has refused to add Avatar, RWBY and even Neo Yokio (this was co-produced with Japanese Studios including Production I.G & Studio Deen) which I agree with, since for the most part they weren't made or at least fully made in Japan in Neo Yokio's case. Although MAL doesn't have these Western shows they do have Chinese ones. Some of these aren't even co-produced by Japanese studios. So why are they on the database?

So what do you guys think? Should Chinese Anime be removed? If one is allowed should they all be allowed, such as Avatar and Neo Yokio?

I personally don't watch these Chinese shows, since I can't stand their awful Voice acting. As for these Western shows, I have only seen Avatar which I don't consider Anime.

Hahaha, give it a rest and watch cupid chocolate.

Anyways, I think the reason why Chinese and Korean entries are allowed here is that they are just too similar. At times, they are just indistinguishable tho mostly the manga doujinshi ones. I do know some people watches Enmusubi no youko-chan with Japanese dub thinking it was jp anime but no it's Chinese animation.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 1, 2018 8:53 PM

Kuma said:
-SP- said:

so, where is it? in Neo Yukio, Japanese studio is not involved in Storyboard... just 2 individual credited as supervisor, for seperated episode... they not even work at the same time... again, look at transformers entries... the production company is both japanese company and US company... the animation is mostly japanese... the rest however is the reason not all transformer franchise in DB...

As stated in the post as a joint production between Japan/Korea/China and another country as far as I know the Japanese WERE involved for creating a storyboard you said it yourself "just 2 individual credited as supervisor, for seperated episode" so there was still some Japanese involvement, no matter how differently you try to phrase it.

Oct 1, 2018 9:44 PM

-SP- said:
Kuma said:

As stated in the post as a joint production between Japan/Korea/China and another country as far as I know the Japanese WERE involved for creating a storyboard you said it yourself "just 2 individual credited as supervisor, for seperated episode" so there was still some Japanese involvement, no matter how differently you try to phrase it.

as i said, iphone sparepart made in china.. nobody called iphone as chinese product... look at the note... that's what exactly neo yukio is...

Oct 1, 2018 11:17 PM

Kuma said:
-SP- said:

as i said, iphone sparepart made in china.. nobody called iphone as chinese product... look at the note... that's what exactly neo yukio is...

Im taking Kineta's words literally, by doing that I don't see how you can deny Japanese involvement. Doesn't look like either of us will budge on our opinions.

Oct 1, 2018 11:36 PM

-SP- said:
Kuma said:

Im taking Kineta's words literally, by doing that I don't see how you can deny Japanese involvement. Doesn't look like either of us will budge on our opinions.

i mean, you are made point out of baseless misinterpret assumption, hence why it's never applied, which is lot of people already tell you... you can use kitsu if you want them... i don't see MAL would change it DB guideline anytime soon...

Oct 2, 2018 12:38 PM

Kuma said:
-SP- said:

i mean, you are made point out of baseless misinterpret assumption, hence why it's never applied, which is lot of people already tell you... you can use kitsu if you want them... i don't see MAL would change it DB guideline anytime soon...

"you are made point out of baseless misinterpret assumption" What? I'm assuming you were trying to say I made a point out of a baseless assumption? If that's the case then no, I have already explained all my points, if you can't understand that then your reading comprehension is below par. As it stands the MAL guidelines are too vague.

Apr 4, 8:28 PM
i think donghua should be removed from MAL

and all anime site, just my opinion.

its not anime after all, its just chinese cartoons,

i hate the dub by the way. but i love Bruce lee, Jet lee and Jackie XD

Apr 5, 2:58 AM

I don't think so. Just this one anime which has nothing but trailers for years (don't remember the name). This one definitely should be removed!

Apr 5, 3:13 AM

My personal definition of anime is the animations that come from Japan, but at the same time I don't count Japanese animation on western ideas, like the animated Halo and Marvel specials, I wouldn't count those as anime. But thats the issue, is that everyone holds there own different view of what is and isn't anime, so I guess you should just ignore them if you don't count them.

Apr 5, 3:21 AM
i think its more of the style of the animation. the chinese ones copy the japanese one compleatly

Apr 5, 5:39 AM

-SP- said:
MohAngelo said:
In my opinion, any Animation which isn't made in Japan is an abomination

Agree with that to an extent, I just haven't seen any great non-Japanese animated shows

Then I recommend Uncharted Walker.

Apr 5, 6:08 AM

Kings Avatar is better than most "Anime" in its genre imo, cant wait for season 2.

Maybe just remove the trash ones.

Apr 5, 6:12 AM

mal staff: we dont accept ONA specials that are fully produced in japan

but we will definitely accept No produced in japan cartoon. be it north/south korea. taiwanese or chinese.

its simple: profit and weebs are evolving to asianphillics rather than just staying japanphillics whilest still profiting mal. Interest + profit is what dedicate what mal does

Apr 5, 6:25 AM

idk man but imo they made a harem anime I enjoy

Had the tropes of Jap Harem Anime and the artstyle of one but tbh it also had its own unique traits like an MC that wasn't a blank dull slate and a main girl who I actually liked and who I wanted to win for once. Anyways, yeah I think all Animation from the Oriental parts of Asia should be here, knowing that Japan usually makes Koreans and Chinese help out with Anime anyways.

Ascended Taste
^
check this list out for some ascended music shit (also to give it more views pls I want this list I worked hard on to make me feel special~~~~~~)

Apr 5, 7:12 AM
It's hillarious how MAL is so super-strict when it comes to any series with a western country involved (like, say Castlevania), but with Chinese, or Korean stuff, well it comes from a country where people kinda look like they're Japanese, so it's cool.

You couldn't make this shit up.

Apr 5, 7:37 AM

Yeah, it's weird that western animation is a no-no, while Chinese and Korean ones are registered as anime. Probably, has to be Asian, but why not Indian then, for example?

However, I love Da Yu Hai tang and I probably wouldn't find it if not for MAL. In fact, I don't think that already existing ones should be deleted, that would be unfair, but maybe just new ones should not be added anymore?

Apr 5, 7:38 AM

Nah,I think it should become an animation site and add other non-japanese animated series for example "AVATAR"

Apr 5, 7:41 AM
If they are rejecting Neo-Yokio then they should also reject animations made exclusively in China.
"When you die, everybody knows you are dead, except you. It's the same when you have shit taste."

Apr 5, 7:43 AM
Mucosa said:
Nah,I think it should become an animation site and add other non-japanese animated series for example "AVATAR"

Then MAL's primary audience (read:weebs) will be outraged because that's not the principles the site was founded on.
"When you die, everybody knows you are dead, except you. It's the same when you have shit taste."

Apr 5, 7:54 AM
Yes, I think it should be removed from MAL, or atleast they separate them from anime.

Apr 5, 7:58 AM
Grim Anime Fan

I don't care if they add outside Japan stuff to database. BUT MAKE the damn options to filter them out. Just on/off toggle to hide/show other region content...

Apr 5, 9:21 AM
Knightmare_YK said:
Mucosa said:

Then MAL's primary audience (read:weebs) will be outraged because that's not the principles the site was founded on.

do you really think MAL has the resources to suddenly become a DB for all of animation? The queue is already always clogged and often slow, if you suddenly make it so every single piece of animation ever produced can be added, not just east-asian ones, the site would just collapse and became useless, it would go from a very complete DB about anime to an extremely incomplete DB about animation that would take at least a couple of years regain functionality and it would probably never be as complete of a DB as MAL is right now. It's not about being a 'weeb', it's simply about maintaining functionality. Are you gonna volunteer to approve new entries from all around the world for 12 hours a day for a few years once they start accepting international animation in the DB? I doubt it.

Listen, everybody wants change, don't nobody want to change though
don't nobody want to pray, till they got something to pray for
now everybody's gonna die, but don't everybody live though

Apr 5, 10:53 AM

Yes, because I’m order for me to consider it anime most of the creative work has to be done in Japan.

Apr 5, 11:23 AM
Pullman said:

do you really think MAL has the resources to suddenly become a DB for all of animation?

No, I don't.
Pullman said:

if you suddenly make it so every single piece of animation ever produced can be added, not just east-asian ones, the site would just collapse and became useless, it would go from a very complete DB about anime to an extremely incomplete DB about animation that would take at least a couple of years regain functionality and it would probably never be as complete of a DB as MAL is right now. It's not about being a 'weeb', it's simply about maintaining functionality.

I agree with you.
To be honest, I don't understand why you quoted me. I believe that MAL should not become a DB for all animation. I think you've got the wrong impression, perhaps from my use of weeb, which I used non-offensively. I used it to refer to anime fans, so I apologize if you found that derogatory. I also believe that when this site was started it was meant for anime (Japanese anime) only, so it should continue to be an anime only website, as far as it reasonably can.

Apr 5, 11:31 AM
Nah anime is a brand at this point, Gigguk made a really good video about that.
But if you want to remove Chinese anime, you also have to remove Castlevania, manhwas and manhuas.

So I think that Chinese anime should stay.

Apr 5, 11:32 AM

Are people forgetting the so called "Chinese anime" worked with Japanese teams to make them? It's the reason those are on here, same with other anime that was made from other Asian countries. And before someone mentions Radiant, yes, it's source material is a French comic, but Lerche, a Japanese studio adapted it into an anime, thus, it's on MAL.

Apr 5, 11:34 AM

Yes, but also no.

I mean I don't even care because I don't watch them but as someone already mentioned, it would be lots of work lost.

But I strongly agree to the fact that Anime=Japanese Cartoon, and Anime≠Chinese Cartoons. Without exceptions.

Apr 5, 12:32 PM

Whgedia said:

But if you want to remove Chinese anime, you also have to remove Castlevania, manhwas and manhuas.

one little flaw in your argument bro - castlevania's not on mal
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?

Apr 5, 2:52 PM

lets not be racist here, i think the chinese has it bad enough with the "not made in china" watterbottles
humanity: "everyday we stray further from god"

Apr 5, 5:06 PM

Relax with the elitist stance dude. It's not that serious.

Anime is anime, wherever it comes from doesn't matter. If it has the same style as an anime, it's an anime. That's how Japanese people see it, I don't see why anyone else should see it different.
Nothing triggers a Rem fan like explaining how Emilia is better in every way

Apr 5, 5:18 PM

I think MAL should add all animated series, regardless of country of origin.
Anybody who has studied even a little Japanese knows that "anime" literally means "animation", not tied to a country of origin.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Apr 5, 5:19 PM

Most definitely not, and it's Chinese anime or Chinese animation, not Chinese "Anime". Anime is literally just a Japanese word for any type of animation, and obviously while Japanese anime is the most common type, anime is not strictly limited to Japan. There are plenty of non-Japanese anime that exist such as RWBY, Kings Avatar(Quanzhi Gaoshou), Quanzhi Fashi and many Netflix originals.

I agree that NOT every single animation should be added to MAL, but rather should be anything considered by many to be anime. And I reckon that includes Avatar (lavabending is sick) AND Chinese anime.

Apr 5, 5:24 PM
*sips coffee*

HopefulNihilist said:
Anybody who has studied even a little Japanese knows that "anime" literally means "animation", not tied to a country of origin.

I agree with you. Mostly.

I think series such as Avatar, Castlevania and maybe even RWBY could easily have a place here. But Family Guy and South Park.. sorry, that'd be really strange to see. xD

Apr 5, 5:47 PM
Timz0r said:
Never encountered "Chinese anime" before, but if you go far in history, China IS kinda Japan and visa versa, hence why weebs mock anime is just being "Chinese cartoons". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can you give us examples of these "Chinese cartoons" you speak off? I'm interessed for entertainment purposes.
You should watch: Mo dao zu shi, The king's avatar,Hitori no shita:the outcast, To be hero and Rakshasa street.

Apr 5, 7:29 PM

Apollo18 said:
It's hillarious how MAL is so super-strict when it comes to any series with a western country involved (like, say Castlevania), but with Chinese, or Korean stuff, well it comes from a country where people kinda look like they're Japanese, so it's cool.

You couldn't make this shit up.

It's because their logic is entirely baseless, and this whole idea that "anime only comes from Japan" is a construct of certain Westerners when the reality is Japanese people don't even think that. It's weird, just like how they call themselves "otaku" like that's a good thing

Apr 5, 7:36 PM

Greyleaf said:
HopefulNihilist said:

I think series such as Avatar, Castlevania and maybe even RWBY could easily have a place here. But Family Guy and South Park.. sorry, that'd be really strange to see. xD

People on this site welcomed Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt with open arms, and that looked like a Western cartoon.

I too see no reason why RWBY shouldn't be on the site, other than the "logic" that if you weren't born on the Japanese islands you cannot create a true anime. A concept constructed by idiots, for idiots.

Apr 5, 7:55 PM

gelothemax said:

You create a new account just to make this one post in this thread? Don't worry too much about internet database.

Chinese and Japanese are the same or closely the same anyway. Genetic research shows that Japanese are 25.2% Chinese(the highest non Japanese genetic) while pure Japanese genetic is only 4.8%.

@1:22

Apr 6, 5:47 AM
photophobic said:
Whgedia said:

one little flaw in your argument bro - castlevania's not on mal
wow is not? weird, it should be here in my opinion.

Apr 6, 9:05 AM

Gorochu said:
gelothemax said:

You create a new account just to make this one post in this thread? Don't worry too much about internet database.

Chinese and Japanese are the same or closely the same anyway. Genetic research shows that Japanese are 25.2% Chinese(the highest non Japanese genetic) while pure Japanese genetic is only 4.8%.

@1:22

im confused, what does this have to do with anything?

Apr 6, 9:06 AM

Tropisch said:
Are people forgetting the so called "Chinese anime" worked with Japanese teams to make them? It's the reason those are on here, same with other anime that was made from other Asian countries. And before someone mentions Radiant, yes, it's source material is a French comic, but Lerche, a Japanese studio adapted it into an anime, thus, it's on MAL.

so what happens when you have a reverse radiant?

Apr 6, 9:11 AM
Knightmare_YK said:
Pullman said:

do you really think MAL has the resources to suddenly become a DB for all of animation?

No, I don't.
Pullman said:

if you suddenly make it so every single piece of animation ever produced can be added, not just east-asian ones, the site would just collapse and became useless, it would go from a very complete DB about anime to an extremely incomplete DB about animation that would take at least a couple of years regain functionality and it would probably never be as complete of a DB as MAL is right now. It's not about being a 'weeb', it's simply about maintaining functionality.

I agree with you.
To be honest, I don't understand why you quoted me. I believe that MAL should not become a DB for all animation. I think you've got the wrong impression, perhaps from my use of weeb, which I used non-offensively. I used it to refer to anime fans, so I apologize if you found that derogatory. I also believe that when this site was started it was meant for anime (Japanese anime) only, so it should continue to be an anime only website, as far as it reasonably can.

My point was just that people don't get 'outraged' at the prospect of adding stuff like avatar because they're weebs or because of any founding principles they glorify, it's simply not reasonable/feasible to want to add these titles to the DB and that's why people like me always have been against any such suggestions. Your post felt like you were suggesting other reasons for disapproving of such ideas so I wanted to clarify that there's more to it.

Apr 6, 9:13 AM
Phantomnocomics said:
Tropisch said:

the origin of the source material is irrelevant either way. What matters is the country in and for which the anime is produced.

Apr 6, 9:15 AM

Pullman said:
Knightmare_YK said:

No, I don't.

I agree with you.

My point was just that people don't get 'outraged' at the prospect of adding stuff like avatar because they're weebs or because of any founding principles they glorify, it's simply not reasonable/feasible to want to add these titles to the DB and that's why people like me always have been against any such suggestions. Your post felt like you were suggesting other reasons for disapproving of such ideas so I wanted to clarify that there's more to it.

if perfecting the DB was their priority, then adding china/taiwan/south korea/north korea was contradictory to their objective and there is no valid explanation to why they picked those

gotta disagree with you in that one, mate

Apr 6, 9:16 AM

Pullman said:
Phantomnocomics said:

the origin of the source material is irrelevant either way. What matters is the country in and for which the anime is produced.

well. what happens when one of those contradict each other?

Apr 6, 9:17 AM

Greyleaf said:
HopefulNihilist said:

Nah it wouldn't be strange since there are anime listed in this database that does not even look like commonly associated Japanese styles, be it one of those clay animation shorts or works that look like what you see in western cartoons ala Panty & Stocking. If they did add South Park at least, that's instantly going in my favorites for sure.

Apr 6, 9:47 AM
Phantomnocomics said:
Pullman said:

if perfecting the DB was their priority, then adding china/taiwan/south korea/north korea was contradictory to their objective and there is no valid explanation to why they picked those

gotta disagree with you in that one, mate

First of all who are 'they'? You were talking about users being against the inclusion of western titles and they were not even around when the decision to include korean and chinese works was made 12 or so years ago. What people like you don't seem to understand is that the question of 'will we add something new to the DB/guidelines' and 'will we keep something that is already in there' are two very different things. In one case the decision to include it would create a ton of work, in the other case the decision to include it would just maintain the status quo without creating additional work. It's not the same kind of decision unless you can travel back in time to the point at which they first decided to include korean and chinese anime.

It is not a neutral decision between two equal options, because one of them is already in the DB, represented by 100s of titles that cost hundreds of hours of work. There needs to be no reason to include it except for the fact that it's already there so leaving it in doesn't hurt anybody. Unlike western series which would require a complete do-over of the DB and therefore require quite convincing reasons if you want to argue in favor of that.

In one case the question is 'does it make sense to remove hundreds of titles and undo hundreds of hours to work just to make the DB limited to japanese media?' and in the other cast the question is 'does it make sense to decrease the consistency of the DB, create 10,000s of hours of additional work just to include western animation as well which is already extensively available in tons of other DB sites'.

You can argue about whether the work it would take to include them and make the DB larger and more comprehensive would be worth the upside of making the DB larger and more comprehensive (I don't think so since there already are alternatives but that is another topic). But in what world does it make sense to create additional work just to undo past work and to make the existing DB smaller and less comprehensive? It just makes no sense to want to remove the korean and chinese entries at this point.

You're right that including korean and chinese animation is contradictory in some ways but that's because it wasn't a conscious choice based on abstract rationalizations. It happened early on in the days before there were guidelines, when the site was very new and small. By the time they formalized the guidelines there had already been plenty of korean and chinese animations in the DB added by users who didn't differentiate between them, and the first generation of mods figured it would be more work and less functionality if they just removed them so they created the guidelines based on what the DB already factually looked like at that point instead of basing them around some idealization that didn't represent the reality of how the DB looked like. If the guidelines were created from scratch and the DB didn't already exist at that point, I'm sure they would not have included them and specified Japan instead, but it is what it is.

You can't change history and the argument that it would just create more work for the sole purpose of undoing past work while also reducing the existing functionality of the site for anyone who already has korean or chinese anime on their list, is still valid. So it's not gonna happen and that part of MAL history will stay part of the guidelines because it's the least problematic way to handle the situation at this point. When it comes to western series none of these arguments apply, they aren't already in the DB because of historical reasons, so not allowing them in now doesn't undo years of work by creating even more work. It's just keeping consistent with the status quo.

Not everything makes sense from a purely logical perspective, but often you need the historical perspective to understand certain things. That's the case for MAL as much as it is irl.
Modified by Pullman, Apr 6, 10:02 AM

Apr 6, 10:09 AM

Imo "anime" is the name of oriental cartoons - Japanese, Chinese, Korean and some else. It's ok to consider Chinese and Korean cartoons "anime".
On the other hand, western wannabe imitations like Avatar or RWBY should never be accepted as anime
Modified by Nemo_Niemand, Apr 6, 10:13 AM

Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »