Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 26, 2018 12:40 AM

Jun 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Watched the movie at theaters today, it was really good and I actually really liked it.
Ending got you really hyped, and nothing is more enjoyable than screaming out of joy and adrenaline when watching your favorite characters literally kickass.

All in all, I thought they handled the movie very well, and I liked their choice in getting everyone hyped one way or another.
It was awesome seeing All Might one last time, and it was really worth it.
I thought the new characters they brought in: Melissa and Dave were really interesting.
Especially Melissa, despite being not part of the main cast, I thought she really meshed well together with the students of UA.
RaylaSep 26, 2018 12:43 AM
Sep 26, 2018 12:18 PM
Feb 2017
I already did a (probably poorly) review on the movie, and I can say it was enjoyable. Definitely did not compare to the main series, but it is a good start for their movies. Hoping to see more Melissa in the main series.
Sep 26, 2018 4:12 PM

May 2018
Was a really awesome experience to see something I love but only see on devices like a laptop or phone come to life on a theater screen. Makes me want to make more time to go see anime movies in theaters. I think the movie had a few questionable/asspullish moments, and some of the fight scenes left me wanting a bit more. Dave and Melissa are characters too good to be in the movie only and not seen elsewhere, and they blend together with the main cast insanely well. I really hope I Island and said characters get more time in the series at some point. As a whole I think this is definitely the right direction for a MHA movie to go. If you're on the fence about spending your money and going to the nearest theater that's screening it, I say go and see it, you won't be disappointed.
Sep 26, 2018 6:20 PM
Aug 2017
I thought the movie was overall pretty nice, the only thing was that I thought the story was kinda predictable near the end
Sep 26, 2018 6:45 PM

Dec 2014
Just saw it in the theatres as well, loved it. Super entertaining.

Animation especially during the final fight was absolutely phenomenal. The use of You Say Run in that final fight got me super hyped and the double smash was awesome. Loved all the teamwork by Todoroki and Bakugou and just class A in general. Too bad we didn't see all of class A.
There was actually a small remix of You Say Run(V3?) that plays when Deku fights the robots but sadly it was drowned out in the noise of the theatre.

Melissa and Dave were nice chraracters, took a liking to both of them. Would be nice if they showed up in the actual series at some point.

The girl looks super cute in their formal wear. <3

Comedy was on point, so many great moments. Mineta's 'Harem' was easily one of the most hilarious moments in the movie. XD

Was also real nice to see All Might in action one last time.

The only weak point of the movie was the story which could've been better I believe. They could've used the setting in a much more entertaining way similar to One Piece Gold or something but I guess they decided to just go with a classic story and make the execution super entertaining which is technically what most Shounen series movies do but I still believe they could've used BnHA's setting to do something better in terms of plot.

Went with a pretty decent sized group of friends and left the movie super satisfied, almost everyone at the theatre was wearing some sort of BnHA attire. Someone even dyed their hair like Todoroki. xD

9/10, Plus Ultra.
Lelouch0202Sep 26, 2018 7:02 PM
Sep 26, 2018 7:21 PM

Oct 2012
Just saw the subbed version in Brooklyn and it was a ton of fun. They definitely had the fans in mind when some of the characters hit the screen. The fighting was epic too. Never thought I'd see a Double Detroit Smash! Would love to see Melissa find her way into the series even if just to see how it plays out with Ochako.
Sep 26, 2018 7:33 PM
we back

Aug 2015
Just got out of the theater, and I found this film very enjoyable.

Loved the ending portion of the movie.

Also loved seeing a younger All Might doing All Might things.
Sep 27, 2018 12:49 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Just as I expected nothing more nothing less. Very entertaining and enjoyable. Good sakuga as well.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 27, 2018 4:15 AM
Sep 2017
The recap and flashbacks of shit we just saw in the movie total'd about 6-7 minutes. That screentime shoulda gone to Young All Might. Overall it was decent but nothing special. I feel like Teen Titans Trouble in Tokyo was the better teen superhero movie. At least the villain in that movie had a damn name. The only parts I really enjoyed were the opening with Young All Might, Mineta, and the ending. The movie started to go downhill fast after the Just Another Hero instrumental played. Mineta was the only saving grace from then til the ending. I almost fell asleep cause of how much it dragged there.
Sep 27, 2018 9:39 AM

Dec 2013
JoeCipher said:
The recap and flashbacks of shit we just saw in the movie total'd about 6-7 minutes. That screentime shoulda gone to Young All Might. Overall it was decent but nothing special. I feel like Teen Titans Trouble in Tokyo was the better teen superhero movie. At least the villain in that movie had a damn name. The only parts I really enjoyed were the opening with Young All Might, Mineta, and the ending. The movie started to go downhill fast after the Just Another Hero instrumental played. Mineta was the only saving grace from then til the ending. I almost fell asleep cause of how much it dragged there.

Yeah the recap was completely unnecessary. I think if your going to watch this movie you've probably have watched the anime or are caught up with the manga. But the one thing that I loved about the movie is how it did the action scenes, those were worth the ticket purchase by themselves imo.
Sep 27, 2018 2:22 PM
Jan 2013
[/quote]
JoeCipher said:

The recaps and flashbacks were made for parents taking their kids.
Sep 27, 2018 6:03 PM

Feb 2011
I like the movie a lot.
I got everything I wanted.

All Might in action again,

the most popular characters of MHA in action. The father son Kamehameha.... ups wrong movie.

And most importantly, Ochaco in dress.
Sep 27, 2018 6:57 PM
Sep 2017
JoeCipher said:

The recaps and flashbacks were made for parents taking their kids.[/quote]

They literally flashbacked to the same scene of Deku and Melissa when they were talking in her room 2 times in 20 minutes.
Sep 28, 2018 7:23 PM

Jul 2012
I really enjoyed it! It wasn't super special or anything but a solid story and lots of fun and epic scenes with the main 1A kids, especially Todoroki and Bakugou. I loved seeing how dumb and dorky Kirishima was. Jirou and Momo were super badass in many scenes which is nice. Deku and Melissa's relationship is quite rushed but nice to see.

I'm hoping for more MHA movies in the future!

I watched this in Toronto and the recap was at the end which was weird. I didn't watch the entire thing because my friends wanted to leave.
Sep 28, 2018 7:49 PM

Jul 2017
The art looked really bad at places. Some of the action near the end looked solid but during its normal scenes, the art looked horrendous. It looked much worse than the TV series, which has also been suffering a bit with the weird designs and faces.

At points, characters didn't even have eyes nor mouths so that was frustrating.

The OST was awesome, story was generic shounen writing kinda like Bleach or HxH's movies.

Overall, it was fine but I need to rewatch the BluRay version since I need better art for my eyes to handle.
Sep 28, 2018 11:35 PM
Sep 2016
I came in assuming this wouldn’t be that amazing, but it turned out to be 10x better than I expected. The movie actually made the crowd laughed and clapped at the end. Many of the scenes will genuinely funny and demonstrated the character’s personalities uniquely. Action scenes had really good animation and art. However, some parts (especially the beginning) seemed to have cheesy looking animation. Regardless, the animation and art, everything together was great.

During the party part, the girls definitely dressed up nice ;).
Sep 29, 2018 4:03 AM

Nov 2015
animejas said:
The art looked really bad at places. Some of the action near the end looked solid but during its normal scenes, the art looked horrendous. It looked much worse than the TV series, which has also been suffering a bit with the weird designs and faces.

At points, characters didn't even have eyes nor mouths so that was frustrating.

The OST was awesome, story was generic shounen writing kinda like Bleach or HxH's movies.

Overall, it was fine but I need to rewatch the BluRay version since I need better art for my eyes to handle.

It's because season 3 took away the movie's budget
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Sep 29, 2018 1:11 PM

May 2015
About what I expected from a long running shounen movie. Production was good, new protagonists were cool, message was direct, and pacing was fine. Villain was definitely lame and it's a shame the whole AFO behind the scenes was short-lived. On a side note, the sfx in my theater was weird and didnt have that cinematic feeling at times. Overall 7/10

Sep 29, 2018 3:23 PM

Jun 2009
it wasn't bad though i feel asleep for 5 minutes in the movie
Sep 30, 2018 3:58 AM

Sep 2012
Pretty enjoyable, I liked the group dynamics with the UA students. I didn't care much for the All Might and David Shield relationship. The villain didn't really have much going for him either other than that his quirk looked kinda cool. While the final fight had the best animation from the movie I felt like it dragged on for too long and didn't feel that creative and it made feel like I was just waiting for it to end. Also, it was my first time watching the eng dub and found it pretty mediocre, Mineta's voice made me laugh though.
Oct 1, 2018 9:29 AM

Apr 2018
The eng dub is horrible
Wonder when they will start putting some efforts into english voice acting like they do with disney movies
Oct 1, 2018 9:38 AM

Jun 2011
Akerakai said:
The eng dub is horrible
Wonder when they will start putting some efforts into english voice acting like they do with disney movies

Don't know what your talking about, I thought the english dub itself was pretty enjoyable for the most part.
Oct 1, 2018 6:48 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Just came out of the movie. Writing was mediocre and predictable, but the end battle was nice. That pose All Might did when doing his final attack, lol. That double attack and the animations during the final fight was cool.

The reasons why everyone was at I-Island was convenient, lmao.

Best part of the movie: HAREM, HAREM HAREM. Sasuga Mineta-kun.

Also, the villain was horrible. Wish they expanded more on that All for One stuff.

Bakugou felt so out-of-character when he was cheering, lmao.

6/10
GoldenDevilGamerOct 1, 2018 9:00 PM
Oct 1, 2018 6:56 PM

Dec 2015
Just come back from the theater after watching it. It was good, some funny moments. Honestly, when the vilains came, all the things that will happen was predictable... I mean, it's always the same thing on the other show too so it was easy to predict.

Oh and damn the recap of the first season and the preview of the first episode of the second season after the ending... Normally I stay until the light are up again in the theater but this time, I should just go back home instead of seeing the recap...

set by taiyaki

Oct 1, 2018 8:17 PM

Apr 2008
MHA is always fun and colorful, and it still had that on the screen, but I was disappointed at a couple aspects. One, forcing in basically the whole cast when it seemed like it was going to be a more intimate development of All Might and Deku was kinda lame. Two, they introduced a lot of really important tech that now is lost to continuity. That there's a way Deku can punch full power is really important, but are we going to see another gauntlet? There's a mechanical way to super charge powers with no negative side effects? That sure sounds relevant to the world, but nope, gone. Also, there's apparently capsule corp style tech for poofing things into your pocket? Lot of plot holes here... Couldn't they just have had an epic villain that got locked away forever without all this nonsense?
Oct 2, 2018 6:36 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Just watched it in theaters. Nothing amazing and the villains were whatever but it was fun and the production value was there as usual. I had some good laugh!

Solid 7/10.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 3, 2018 1:39 AM

Jun 2015
It was enjoyable
Predictable but not terrible
Oct 3, 2018 2:41 PM
Aug 2010
Sadly average at best. 1st half of the movie is exposition, flash backs, and feels like a slice-of-life fan service OVA.The recap isn't eclusive to the series either, there is even recap of moments within the movie.There are also too many cringe moments to count which are only competed with by the deus ex machina moments. The movie is HIGHLY predictable, including the final fight scene...saw that coming a mile away. However, the action scenes are fun, and there are some legitimately funny scenes with certain characters. In the end though, I felt like I waited an hour for the last 20 minutes of the movie, which though predictable was enjoyable...the rest of it is a shrug. Overall, this movie feels like it was trying too hard to target multiple audiences. It felt split between trying to introduce MHA to those who have never seen it, and the fans that have been following it for the last several seasons. This made an already thin plot even weaker. Don't expect much of it going in and you might still enjoy some of it.
Oct 5, 2018 1:12 AM

Aug 2007
I'm glad I got to see this in theaters! Apparently the dates I saw it on was from the overflow and not original set dates. It did better than anticipated, opening with pretty high box office numbers, taking over Your Name.

It was pretty predictable as others have said, but it was fun to see the characters on big screen. Story was average, but the final punch with Deku and All Might was AWESOME. It's so cool to see them work together, considering All Might's state going into season 4.

...Now to wait for season 4.

6/10

Oct 6, 2018 3:05 PM

Aug 2010
Really enjoyable. Doesn't stray too far from most Jump movie tropes, but handles itself well within that. Even the original characters are likable. Meh villain, though.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Oct 8, 2018 4:40 AM

Sep 2014
It was an OK movie, but as a fan I feel like ppl were overhyping it. The comedy and action scenes were on point and the art was great, but the plot itself didn't reach anywhere near the standards of MHA. In fact, I would much rather have watched 120 minutes of All Might's past instead since I found those parts to be the greatest moments in the movie
Oct 11, 2018 3:38 AM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
The fight scene at the end of the movie was gorgeously animated!! One of the best fights I have ever seen in an anime, in terms of the animation that is. The movie itself is a lot like other Jump movies (could heavily compare it to the 2nd Hunter x Hunter movie for example), and the villain was really stupid, though managing to fit in the canon and showing heavier back story of All Might is pretty good.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 13, 2018 9:12 AM
Dec 2017
https://m.twitch.tv/videos/318379724
For those who haven't watched it.
Oct 17, 2018 4:49 PM
Nov 2017
Really love this movie, the action scenes are insane. i lovw how this half of movie is action scenes
24/7 plus ultra
Oct 26, 2018 5:26 PM

Aug 2015
I really liked this cant wait to watch it again.

Nov 2, 2018 5:41 PM

Sep 2018
i love BNHA.. but this movie gives me too much hype and too much expectation, i think i got dissapointed a little.. but still i love it hahah (i'm just so biased)
Nov 4, 2018 6:13 PM

May 2016
Found out that this movie was in the local theaters so I got to watch it a few days ago and it was great ♥ I haven't watched the other seasons and it's been a while so the short recap at the beginning was a nice touch for me.

Seeing a young All Might jumping and smashing through the streets of the United States with his best friend Dave was a treat. It would've been better if a young Gran Torino or his master made a cameo too.

Loved seeing the beloved Class-A students pop up in I-Island one after another out of nowhere for various reasons and having most of them use their powers and get a big part in fighting the bad guys a lot throughout the movie. Melissa was a really cool character even without having a quirk and her look for most of the movie was gorgeous. I wish she'd have more parts later on because that Full Gauntlet's the most useful thing Deku's ever gotten.

In the end, Dave didn't find out about the secret of One For All and All Might's diminishing abilities but he had seen the capabilities of the generation that's ahead of him and that was enough for him. That scene where All Might and Deku smashed All For One's lackey with all their might was absolutely stunning. I'd love to see that again.

Nov 8, 2018 2:22 AM
Apr 2018
I've watched in theaters in November 1. Yep November 1. Aaandd it is so lit. The CG in the battle is so amusing wtf. Watch it, it's so worth it.
Nov 8, 2018 2:26 AM
Apr 2018
dicecop said:
It was an OK movie, but as a fan I feel like ppl were overhyping it. The comedy and action scenes were on point and the art was great, but the plot itself didn't reach anywhere near the standards of MHA. In fact, I would much rather have watched 120 minutes of All Might's past instead since I found those parts to be the greatest moments in the movie

Yep not much in terms of plot, but man the CG in the battle is so amazing, one of the greatest CG in this series.
yukiharaNov 8, 2018 2:34 AM
Dec 4, 2018 9:59 PM

Jul 2015
Just watched it, and I loved it!

I was afraid it would be a generic as f#ck story, as most shounen movies are, but in the end it was the absolute best movie for a long anime series/shounen, in my opinion.

Well structured story, and worked really good with the main series. Also had jealous Uraraka; Todoroki smiling to an awkawrd Bakugo; Mineta saving the day! xp, and so much more! Excellent animation on the fight scenes, and of course: Deku and All-Might fighting together against a great villain.

10/10

The ambience on the cinema was amazing as well. :)
I'll fade away and classify myself as obsolete!
Obsolete!!
Dec 5, 2018 12:47 PM

Aug 2017
im so lucky it came to a cinema near me, i loved watching MHA on the big screen ^^ even my dad enjoyed it and he hasn't watched the series >< the best part about watching it in cinema was listening to the fangirls scream around me when Bakugo appeared and at one of the scenes at the end XD

i enjoyed this film lots ≧◡≦ it fitted neatly into the main series and felt satisfying. the action scenes were gorgeous and i really liked watching the characters interact with new situations and new characters :D

that double Detroit smash at the end was so perfect! ^^
Dec 5, 2018 12:57 PM
Jul 2017
Just came back from the cinema and i must say the experience was amazing. Especially the final fight scene really had emotions running.
Dec 5, 2018 10:51 PM

Dec 2014
So I watched this last night at the cinema and I must say I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! The action scenes the comedy Melisa and Dave was all so good. Hope we get to see more of Melisa in the series. Will we see the gaulet again do hope so. Loved the end battle that got me so hyped a double Detroit Smash from Deku and All Might was perfect. Can't wait for this to release on Blu-Ray will deffo be getting it. I deffo recommend this movie to Boku No Hero Academia fans and to those who haven't seen it before as well, cos they have flash backs at the beginning and through the movie so newcomers could understand as well. Go watch this.
Dec 9, 2018 10:44 AM
Dec 2015
I watched this in dub at the cinemas and it was my first ever anime movie experience at the cinemas. Not the best anime movie but it sure was a delight to see my favourites on the big screen. I'm presuming this story takes place after season 2. It was awesome to see Midoriya and All Might combine their attack on the enemy! 2 heroes indeed!
Dec 13, 2018 7:43 PM

Jun 2011
oryo said:
I watched this in dub at the cinemas and it was my first ever anime movie experience at the cinemas. Not the best anime movie but it sure was a delight to see my favourites on the big screen. I'm presuming this story takes place after season 2. It was awesome to see Midoriya and All Might combine their attack on the enemy! 2 heroes indeed!

The movie is supposed to take place before the events of the training camp arc.
Dec 25, 2018 9:53 AM

Feb 2014
My experience when I watched this movie back on the 4th with my friends was great. We watched the English Dub screening and I really enjoyed it.

The story wasn't brilliant, but I still liked it as a whole. Of course, seeing some of the fights being excellently animated was always a treat, especially during the final fight. The double Detroit Smash from both Midoriya and All Might capped off a really hyped final battle while You Say Run was playing. =D

9/10 is my score and I'll definitely re-watch it again when it comes out on Blu-Ray in 2019. =)
Jan 20, 2019 7:35 PM
Jul 2018
I knew that Sam was a sketchy guy but I didn't expect that Dave was in kahoots the villains! Also didn't see it coming that the villains were working together with All For One. Nice twist!! Also that was totally Yutaka Nakamura towards the end there, I mean LOOK AT ALL THE CUBES >:0
seriously though his presence in this movie was a pleasant surprise and hyped up the finale even more!

Overall I say the movie was a solid 8/10, in some parts I feel like the characters personalities felt a bit flat but I really liked the Melissa/Deku and All Might/Dave dynamic. Everyone looked great in their fancy suits and dresses uwu

Bakugo's and Todoroki's interactions were hilarious LOL

Do you hear that? It's the sound of mad TodoMomo shippers fangasming OAO
Feb 8, 2019 11:04 PM

Jan 2017
Uraraka:
"You look like you're having fun, Deku."
"You look like you're having fun, Deku."

I almost died laughing at this xDDD

Feb 9, 2019 6:25 PM

Mar 2013
Ok, now this was epic.
The animation for the last fight was truly top notch, and I enjoyed the interactions between Deku and Melissa.

Does anyone know if this movie is canon?
Feb 10, 2019 3:59 AM

Aug 2018
Trizept said:
Ok, now this was epic.
The animation for the last fight was truly top notch, and I enjoyed the interactions between Deku and Melissa.

Does anyone know if this movie is canon?

tbh i've never like ochako much with deku. i like her as a character though. melissa is so much more interesting or maybe that just because i find her decent looking unlike ochako

wheres the dance scene btw, didnt see it when watching the movie
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you ship Deku with Melissa or Ochaco?

PoLoBreak - Oct 20, 2018

48 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Mar 9, 6:05 AM

» Some people in reviews are saying the animation was 10/10...

MegaStride - Oct 9, 2018

8 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Mar 9, 6:04 AM

» Let's play this role playing game or just imagine your self in my hero academia world

NicoTheAllMighty - Mar 8, 2021

3 by MufatNuts »»
Feb 25, 2022 5:06 PM

» All Might face looks kinda evil

BiobulletM - Jun 5, 2019

5 by Kundalini »»
Oct 4, 2020 7:08 AM

» Why are these movies always so generic?

scabab - Mar 24, 2019

2 by scabab »»
Mar 24, 2019 8:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.