Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 23, 2018 3:25 PM

May 2016
With the way this anime was going I had a sneaky feeling that we may get a surprise announcement from Linden Films for a second season. While I'm still optimistic episode 12 has dampened any hopes I have for a potential second season. We may still get a surprise, but with the way episode 12 went it doesn't seem likely. It seems that the finale will have a happy ending where everything works out in the end. While that's not necessarily a bad thing for me it would just make the whole anime feel both underwhelming and incomplete.

Now I have been reading bits of the manga and to be honest I find it to be too lighthearted. I'm actually glad the anime adaptation went with a more serious tone. It's given the story a lot of potential and for it to truly pay off I feel a second season is necessary. If I was writing the story it would go...

At least that's how I would do it. Why do you guys think? Should there be a second season?
DirectorKSep 23, 2018 5:08 PM
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Sep 23, 2018 4:08 PM

Aug 2017
No. I don't want a second season. Abour your story, I don't like that Uchika is victimised and the drama seem to be more over the top than the anime. Hanebado! have a serious problem with the characters. Honestly, the only thing that the show does well are the matches.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 23, 2018 5:07 PM

May 2016
Nurguburu said:
No. I don't want a second season. Abour your story, I don't like that Uchika is victimised and the drama seem to be more over the top than the anime. Hanebado! have a serious problem with the characters. Honestly, the only thing that the show does well are the matches.

That's because you didn't take the time to understand the characters. What did you expect them to be? A bunch of badasses with no flaws whatsoever? And the drama isn't over the top. Try watching a live-action soap opera(especially a non-American made one) and then tell me that Hanebado's the drama is over the top. Hanebado is all about people making mistakes, identifying their flaws, and trying to overcome them while also sharing a passion for badminton.
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
Sep 23, 2018 5:10 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
OH GOD YES PLEASE, PLEASE LETS GET ANOTHER SEASON, THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOOOO SEXY
Sep 23, 2018 5:27 PM

Jul 2017
I honestly don't want one. I mean, Hanebado wasn't terrible. But It sure wasn't great. It was pretty good for a one time watch. There was a lot I didn't really care for.

I did however like the animation though. It was very beautiful.

But besides that, there's not a lot to love. The characters aren't developed much, except for maybe the main one, and the plot is a bit all over the place.

So personally, I don't especially want a second season, but I will watch it they make one, and hopefully it turns out better than season one.

(sorry for all the past tense I realize it's not completed but it's almost over so that's just what I did~)
Sep 23, 2018 5:29 PM

Oct 2010
I don't think getting another season depends entirely on how this season ends. If sales are good, they'll probably make a second season sooner or later. If they aren't, well... the manga is out there I guess.
Sep 23, 2018 5:50 PM

Aug 2017
DirectorK said:
Nurguburu said:

That's because you didn't take the time to understand the characters. What did you expect them to be? A bunch of badasses with no flaws whatsoever? And the drama isn't over the top. Try watching a live-action soap opera(especially a non-American made one) and then tell me that Hanebado's the drama is over the top. Hanebado is all about people making mistakes, identifying their flaws, and trying to overcome them while also sharing a passion for badminton.

I expect that the characters are, at least, credible. How can you take me seriously that a mom abandon her child without that someone or Ayano's Grandparents say nothing about that attitude? Besides that the motive is rather extreme, there is no way that no one had taken legal actions against Uchika or do something reasonable. That is just bad writing.

I don't know what do you said about "understand the characters". Connie? Kaoruko? Connie, before episode 9, was a piece of shit that wanted to wipe the floor with Ayano. In episode 9, she is asking Ayano to be a part of family Huh??? She is another character. I read that in the manga her presentation is completely different but I'm talking about the anime. The inconsistency of this show is alarming. (I've been reading your comments in the discussion of episode 9 and I didn't find a credible response besides some random comparisons between Ayano and John Rambo ¿?, Ayano and Connie between Rocky vs. Drago match ¿?). Basically, overanalyzing.

Kaoruko has more or less the same presentation.

If I analyse the characters, most of them are bad written or have little screen time to care. I recommend you to watch Ping Pong The Animation, the characters feel more human and the drama is more appropriate. PD: a healthy person wouldn't take badminton too seriously.

NurguburuSep 23, 2018 6:07 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 23, 2018 6:26 PM

May 2016
Nurguburu said:
I expect that the characters are, at least, credible. How can you take me seriously that a mom abandon her child without that someone or Ayano's Grandparents say nothing about that attitude? Besides that the motive is rather extreme, there is no way that no one had taken legal actions against Uchika or do something reasonable. That is just bad writing.

Again, you're not looking at from their perspectives. You're right that the grandparents should have done something sooner, but the thing is Uchika is an adult now and she made a decision that she alone has to deal with. They can't do anything about it anymore. The time for that is gone. This is now a problem between mother and daughter and they alone have sort it out in their own way. This kind of thing happens with modern parents all the time.

I don't know what do you said about "understand the characters". Connie? Kaoruko? Connie, before episode 9, was a piece of shit that wanted to wipe the floor with Ayano. In episode 9, she is asking Ayano to be a part of family Huh??? She is another character. I read that in the manga her presentation is completely different but I'm talking about the anime. The inconsistency of this show is alarming. (I've been reading your comments in the discussion of episode 9 and I didn't find a credible response besides some random comparisons between Ayano and John Rambo ¿?, Ayano and Connie between Rocky vs. Drago match ¿?). Basically, overanalyzing.

I'm so tired of repeating this but... before Connie actually met Ayano she knew very little about her. She only knew what Uchika had told her. She assumed that Ayano would be very competitive about badminton like she and Uchika was. She didn't know about Ayano's issues until she actually saw it herself. It was there she realized she made a mistake and tried to make up for it but at that point Ayano was too far gone to simply accept an apology.

And I'm not over analyzing, I'm merely stating the truth. I wouldn't make those comparisons if I didn't have a reason too. Before Ayano started acting cold she pretty was John Rambo who was going through abandonment, but now she's become more like Clubber Lang, a person bent on crushing the opposition through her anger. And the reason why you're not finding my words credible is because you're not paying attention to what I'm trying to say, you're only skimming through the words and picking what actually catches your attention. In other words, you're not looking into the deeper side of this, you're only looking at the surface.

If I analyse the characters, most of them are bad written or have little screen time to care. I recommend you to watch Ping Pong The Animation, the characters feel more human and the drama is more appropriate. PD: a healthy person wouldn't take badminton too seriously.

Why do you think I suggested a season two? And this isn't just about badminton, it's about the people who are involved in it through this story.
DirectorKSep 23, 2018 8:21 PM
Sep 23, 2018 9:40 PM

Apr 2016
Not really. I feel like this will probably end okay. Besides, the anime had too many problems with its characters. Especially Ayano
Sep 23, 2018 9:58 PM

Aug 2013
For a second chance at inconsistency? Yeah no thanks. Though I will agree that the manga is way too lighthearted, plus the fanservice is hella awkward and poorly placed.
Don't believe the hype.
Sep 23, 2018 10:36 PM

Feb 2014
DirectorK said:
With the way this anime was going I had a sneaky feeling that we may get a surprise announcement from Linden Films for a second season. While I'm still optimistic episode 12 has dampened any hopes I have for a potential second season. We may still get a surprise, but with the way episode 12 went it doesn't seem likely. It seems that the finale will have a happy ending where everything works out in the end. While that's not necessarily a bad thing for me it would just make the whole anime feel both underwhelming and incomplete.

Now I have been reading bits of the manga and to be honest I find it to be too lighthearted. I'm actually glad the anime adaptation went with a more serious tone. It's given the story a lot of potential and for it to truly pay off I feel a second season is necessary. If I was writing the story it would go...

At least that's how I would do it. Why do you guys think? Should there be a second season?

With your version of the plot, it just finished the whole if second season. Now just gotta wait for third. XD
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Sep 24, 2018 1:22 AM
Mar 2018
Why would anyone want a second seson of this trash? It has no redeeming qualities except animation.
Sep 24, 2018 1:27 AM

Jan 2016
Even though I agree with most of you all that it's inconsistent and so on, I'd really like a second season. It has its flaws but it's still enjoyable enough for me to look forward to it every Sunday.
Sep 24, 2018 5:53 AM
Feb 2007
FireFistYK said:
Even though I agree with most of you all that it's inconsistent and so on, I'd really like a second season. It has its flaws but it's still enjoyable enough for me to look forward to it every Sunday.

Same. There's not enough love for badminton anime out there! This is like the first one I've seen D: and I really prefer the anime over the manga. I'm quite surprised at how different it is.
Sep 24, 2018 6:22 AM

Oct 2010
DirectorK said:
Nurguburu said:

Again, you're not looking at from their perspectives. You're right that the grandparents should have done something sooner, but the thing is Uchika is an adult now and she made a decision that she alone has to deal with. They can't do anything about it anymore. The time for that is gone. This is now a problem between mother and daughter and they alone have sort it out in their own way. This kind of thing happens with modern parents all the time.

What the actual fuck

Look, I don't think this is the thread to discuss this since it's mere speculation on whether it will get a second season or not, but please explain me what exactly is rational about nobody calling out Uchika for her behaviour in that scene, or worse, with the grandmother talking about her connection with Ayano in a totally benevolent way. Uchika is beyond redemption, what she did is unjustified by all means, but at least don't act like this is fine, I respect your choice but please think about it like the granny does here.

Like, this is not a problem between mother and daughter. This is plain parental negligence that affects the entire family structure. And Ayano's mental health. I don't ask it to be fully normal because Uchika would be in jail if that was the case, but at least, you know, have the characters acknowledge the gravity of what happened.
Sep 24, 2018 8:05 AM

May 2016
jal90 said:
DirectorK said:

What the actual fuck

Look, I don't think this is the thread to discuss this since it's mere speculation on whether it will get a second season or not, but please explain me what exactly is rational about nobody calling out Uchika for her behaviour in that scene, or worse, with the grandmother talking about her connection with Ayano in a totally benevolent way. Uchika is beyond redemption, what she did is unjustified by all means, but at least don't act like this is fine, I respect your choice but please think about it like the granny does here.

Like, this is not a problem between mother and daughter. This is plain parental negligence that affects the entire family structure. And Ayano's mental health. I don't ask it to be fully normal because Uchika would be in jail if that was the case, but at least, you know, have the characters acknowledge the gravity of what happened.

Where was it implied that I was actually fine with this? Not once did I say that Uchika is redeemable character. I do understand what she was trying to do because she believed that was what was best for Ayano but the way she went about it was entirely wrong. And that's the thing I'm trying to at. There's no excuse for Uchika abandoning her child, but that was her own decision and she knows it. The family as a whole is responsible but this is more on Uchika's shoulders than the grandparents. She can't take back what she did, it's too late for that now. The only person who can forgive her at this point is Ayano herself. Sooner or later they're going to have to have that talk everyone was expecting.
Sep 24, 2018 8:32 AM

Oct 2010
DirectorK said:
jal90 said:

What the actual fuck

Where was it implied that I was actually fine with this? Not once did I say that Uchika is redeemable character. I do understand what she was trying to do because she believed that was what was best for Ayano but the way she went about it was entirely wrong. And that's the thing I'm trying to at. There's no excuse for Uchika abandoning her child, but that was her own decision and she knows it. The family as a whole is responsible but this is more on Uchika's shoulders than the grandparents. She can't take back what she did, it's too late for that now. The only person who can forgive her at this point is Ayano herself. Sooner or later they're going to have to have that talk everyone was expecting.

My problem aside from Uchika herself are the grandparents, who are just... absurdly passive and benevolent about this. It's like what Uchika did, which is pretty serious and screwed up, is not given the slightest relevance by those who know her. To me that's even worse than having a character like Uchika because it shows that people around don't get how fucked up this is, and I don't really know what is the show trying to do with it. You don't write a story of parental abandonment just to make it a light mother-daughter issue, specially if the family structure is shown and has a voice in the conflict.
Sep 24, 2018 10:00 AM

May 2016
jal90 said:
My problem aside from Uchika herself are the grandparents, who are just... absurdly passive and benevolent about this. It's like what Uchika did, which is pretty serious and screwed up, is not given the slightest relevance by those who know her. To me that's even worse than having a character like Uchika because it shows that people around don't get how fucked up this is, and I don't really know what is the show trying to do with it. You don't write a story of parental abandonment just to make it a light mother-daughter issue, specially if the family structure is shown and has a voice in the conflict.

Well, that might be because the grandparents were also raised in a similar manner themselves(which happens quite often) but the thing is if the grandparents couldn't get through to Uchika then what makes you think they can through to her now? Depending on how they were raised it may very well be that they simply just don't know how to deal with this situation. Does that make them bad grandparents? Yes. Does that make them bad people? Not necessarily. It's not that they don't care, it's that they don't want to get involved for the sake of keeping the family together, which is definitely not an excuse but at this point it's probably the better thing to do. If they try to getting involved now it's only going to end up causing more damage.
Sep 26, 2018 6:18 AM

Jul 2008
I hope this season is it, I have a feeling most people will skip the new season if there really is one in the future. The show has been abhorrent from the get-go and episode after episode, it really felt like the producers are trying extremely hard to make us hate the series(and some characters...) =.="
Sep 26, 2018 8:28 AM

May 2016
ShanaFlame said:
I hope this season is it, I have a feeling most people will skip the new season if there really is one in the future. The show has been abhorrent from the get-go and episode after episode, it really felt like the producers are trying extremely hard to make us hate the series(and some characters...) =.="

Hehehe. If I wasn't a storyteller myself I would definitely agree with you except... this is exactly what the writers wanted. If you don't understand what I'm trying to get at watch the first fifteen minutes of this for the same thing happened here.
Sep 26, 2018 2:06 PM

Oct 2010
DirectorK said:
ShanaFlame said:

Hehehe. If I wasn't a storyteller myself I would definitely agree with you except... this is exactly what the writers wanted. If you don't understand what I'm trying to get at watch the first fifteen minutes of this for the same thing happened here.

This whole "they wanted to make us hate the characters" gives me School days vibes and it's not a good thing xD

It's not that I have a problem with the concept but when you are naturally driven to root for the characters subverting that expectation is not easy to do, and I at least can say that the characters I dislike in the series are not exactly due to the show's intent, but rather, how poorly presented they are. How Uchika doesn't even work as a human being, how the show treats Ayano's mood shifts almost as a source of comedy, how Connie never had a proper transition from irredeemable jerk to "I'm actually good and soft", how Kaoruko's mindset worked to make Ayano get sick (after an even weirder moment that should better be treated as a joke) just because she wanted to defeat her.

I just can't with these people. I'm disliking them but for the wrong reasons, mostly, for how unattached the show makes me feel for them. Hating characters for their personality or acts in a way intended by the narrative implies an attachment and that isn't present here. To me, at least.
Sep 26, 2018 7:16 PM

May 2016
jal90 said:
This whole "they wanted to make us hate the characters" gives me School days vibes and it's not a good thing xD

It's not that I have a problem with the concept but when you are naturally driven to root for the characters subverting that expectation is not easy to do, and I at least can say that the characters I dislike in the series are not exactly due to the show's intent, but rather, how poorly presented they are. How Uchika doesn't even work as a human being, how the show treats Ayano's mood shifts almost as a source of comedy, how Connie never had a proper transition from irredeemable jerk to "I'm actually good and soft", how Kaoruko's mindset worked to make Ayano get sick (after an even weirder moment that should better be treated as a joke) just because she wanted to defeat her.

I just can't with these people. I'm disliking them but for the wrong reasons, mostly, for how unattached the show makes me feel for them. Hating characters for their personality or acts in a way intended by the narrative implies an attachment and that isn't present here. To me, at least.

And you know what? I totally get what you're saying. I do, honest. And it's because most of us here have never gone through the kind of hardships that Ayano has gone through. Most have never even gone through some kind of mental trauma like Ayano has. Most of us have never experienced the pain or fear of being abandoned. So it's totally understandable why you wouldn't like a show like this. I was watching Nearly On Red's videos in preparation for my review and I came this comment he made that sums it up perfectly.

...I think people misunderstanding/misconstruing Ayano's behavior do so because of their own lack of world experience. If you've never known (or been) someone who goes through mental trauma, her actions might seem very strange and inscrutable. Whereas if you do have experience in that matter (even as a third-party), then her behavior jumps out at you.

Luckily, one of storytelling's great gifts is that it allows us to live through -- in a small way -- experiences and thought processes that are different than our own. As long as people try to understand why characters act/speak/think the way they do, then over time they themselves will have a better understanding not just of fictional characters, but of their own fellow humans.

It's easy for us fans, especially the younger ones, to criticize these things due to the lack of life experience ourselves a yet to know just had bad life can get. At the same time though, it's easy for us older fans to forget that we were once teenagers ourselves, as a majority of anime characters are, and at that age you're bound to make more mistakes than you would as an adult. Now, of course this is Uchika, but that's a different story altogether.

To really describe Hanebado! and the story it's trying to tell, it makes me think of this line from the 1971 Steve McQueen movie Le Mans.

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly."

That's Hanebado! in a nutshell.
Sep 27, 2018 12:02 AM

Dec 2013
Im just talking to myself now but people should really shut up when they try to force laws and co into anime. First the laws in Japan are different then the one in thr country u are living and 2nd its a fiing anime, if someone wants to kill her/his child and wont even get punished if its made public it has nothing to do with bad writing.

Imo this anime is great. Yes, there are a lot of characters that got not depth but they actually got character development. I dont know how you guys define character development but in my case it means that a character changes his mindset and his path to either a positive or negative turn. In this anime, in this team all characters got a character development except the twins. Everyone had a problem that they had to overcame, so its wrong to say there is no character development. That is just bs. Even Connie, that girl I hated from the start, turned out pretty positive, even if we can only speculate right now how she got that change of mind.

What I want to say, let the people enjoy the anime that they enjoy and stop making stupid excuses to make the anime look bad. It has his flaws definitely but at the same time it entertains it viewers and if u like the characters and their developments like me then you will fully enjoy another season if it should come out. Possibility is slim though and people shouldnt go based on sales. Since a long time now we got anime seasons that haad terrible sales i.e.Chihayafuru. In this day of age with merchandising, marketising and the sheer popularity of anime, sales arent the most important factor anymore. At least not the anjme sales since they also got the original source that sells too.

As I said I just talked to myself, my opinion ma life. If you guys want to think sometjing else feel free to do so but I had to spurt out my bs to counter some bs in this thread. :)
Sep 29, 2018 3:26 PM

May 2009
Not gonna happen. Manga sales got huge boost but disc sales are lower than Fractale. Shame, there won't be this good animated sport anime about chicks for long time (or ever). Liden Films really outdid themselves with such consistent and well animated show.
bastek66Sep 29, 2018 5:06 PM
Nov 11, 2018 10:49 AM
Jul 2016
CurryTeddy said:
Im just talking to myself now but people should really shut up when they try to force laws and co into anime. First the laws in Japan are different then the one in thr country u are living and 2nd its a fiing anime, if someone wants to kill her/his child and wont even get punished if its made public it has nothing to do with bad writing.

Imo this anime is great. Yes, there are a lot of characters that got not depth but they actually got character development. I dont know how you guys define character development but in my case it means that a character changes his mindset and his path to either a positive or negative turn. In this anime, in this team all characters got a character development except the twins. Everyone had a problem that they had to overcame, so its wrong to say there is no character development. That is just bs. Even Connie, that girl I hated from the start, turned out pretty positive, even if we can only speculate right now how she got that change of mind.

What I want to say, let the people enjoy the anime that they enjoy and stop making stupid excuses to make the anime look bad. It has his flaws definitely but at the same time it entertains it viewers and if u like the characters and their developments like me then you will fully enjoy another season if it should come out. Possibility is slim though and people shouldnt go based on sales. Since a long time now we got anime seasons that haad terrible sales i.e.Chihayafuru. In this day of age with merchandising, marketising and the sheer popularity of anime, sales arent the most important factor anymore. At least not the anjme sales since they also got the original source that sells too.

As I said I just talked to myself, my opinion ma life. If you guys want to think sometjing else feel free to do so but I had to spurt out my bs to counter some bs in this thread. :)

Finnaly someone who i can agree with xD
Dec 7, 2018 11:22 PM

Aug 2014
I don't know why exactly why people hate the anime.
Mostly it's because it's either edgy or writing all over the place.
In my opinion it's a pretty solid seinen drama .

Although i do felt like the ending means no more season 2 to me it's a shame.
I wanted a better climaxes​ than especially for the side characters and national tournament.

Then again i guess its not going to happen.
The animation is impressive, and i myself found the character interesting.
Not sure why but this isn't shounen genre..
Why people expect it to be shounenish writing.
Though the overedgy act might abit uh...
Dec 7, 2018 11:23 PM

Aug 2014
CurryTeddy said:

I agree with this.
Thank you for compiling it up.
Dec 23, 2018 8:08 AM

Oct 2012
I don't care about your story.. I just want more DARK AYANON thats all.. XD
Dec 30, 2019 7:50 AM

Dec 2014
Yup we definitely need a season 2, I lost count on how many times I rewatched this Anime. ^_^

Sep 5, 2020 10:14 AM
Aug 2015
Nope, not needed.

Sh*t show made by a retard, liked by ... nope, no human being can like something so f*cked up.

Just hope the pile of sh*t behind this worthless writing never work again. On anything. Anywhere.
Feb 11, 2021 4:39 AM
Nov 2020
I really want Hanebado anime to have a second season. If anyone asks why? Because I think this anime is good, but the problem is whether they have the funds to make the second season?

More topics from this board

» Does Uchika deserve any redemption?

MCA5EY - Dec 26, 2018

10 by _PEAK »»
Mar 17, 6:13 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2018

115 by Seabury »»
Aug 19, 2023 10:22 PM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2018

121 by Kaisoooo94 »»
May 26, 2023 7:53 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2018

209 by Destroyer31 »»
May 9, 2023 6:51 AM

Poll: » Hanebado! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2018

126 by Ronninn »»
Dec 10, 2022 10:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.