3It was OK
3.4%
2Disliked it
0.5%
1Hated it
1.4%
Average 4.8
207 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 23, 2018 10:01 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So we get to see what Gintoki was doing during the last two years. Since Utsuro fell into an Altana pit and dissolved himself into Altana, his remains might appear in one of the many dragon holes all around Earth. Though, it’s near impossible to check every single one of them. He got lucky enough to find someone who found some remains in one of the holes, which later grew into a baby Shoyo/Utsuro. That part when Gintoki tried to kill the baby… damn. But in the end, he couldn’t stop that cycle of Utsuros. Kid Shoyo/Utsuro’s kinda adorable though, lol. It seems like he has the memories of Shoyo-sensei though.

Seems like there was something Shoyo wanted to entrust Gintoki with, but they got interrupted by the Naraku. And Shoyo entrusts his heart to Gintoki, so the Tendoshu can’t do anything with his heartless body. With Shoyo’s body still being kept alive, the Tendoshu want to bring Utsuro back alive, or at least use him as a means to gain immortality. But it seems like Gintoki and Takasugi want to bring Shoyo back alive instead. If they put the heart in the current Shoyo body, there’s no chance which one of the two will appear. But since it’s Shoyo’s body that’s kept alive, maybe it could be Shoyo?

And we also get to know what Takasugi did to himself and how he runs on Altana. That imagination of Utsuro when he freed the Tendoshu though. RIP, the Liberation army betrayed Takasugi and left him in a near death situation. So Takasugi uses Oboro’s heart’s blood to gain “immortality”. The part where he stabs himself… that face…

We get some more focus on Donald Zuramp and Shijaku and how they managed to rebuild Edo and make it great again in the last two years. We get to know about how the Tendoshu created a cult/religion based on Altana, and Utsuro’s their figure of worship. Takasugi clearly seems to be in a bad state. And on a side note, the person Takasugi’s based off died in his early thirties due to tuberculosis, and one of its symptoms was coughing blood. Yep, Takasugi may not make it till the end of Gintama. And now everything gets cleared up and we get to know Gintama’s end goal now; saving Shoyo-sensei. With the Tendoshu planning on attacking Edo, it's time for Gintoki and Takasugi to come back after two years.

4 chapters adapted (chapters 679-682). Nothing noticeable cut and the episode was really well directed. Artwork in the episode was season's best. And for the most part, this episode was quite serious, except the Katsura/Sougo joke, lol.

Screenshots here.
GoldenDevilGamerSep 23, 2018 10:22 AM
Sep 23, 2018 12:05 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode, glad they shed some light on the things that have been happening so far and answered some of the various questions I had from previous episodes.

I loved the scenes with Gintoki slowly raising the reborn Shoyo/Utsuro.
That was one hell of a gamble that Takasugi took on the ship but it looks like he's running out of time as well. :(

The Tendoshuu are the last ones that we need to take care of before they learn how to use the immortality powers at will and hopefully in the process the disciples can save their master.

I liked the Katsura scene, there was this real nice monologue going on and all of a sudden Sougo jumps out yelling 'Katsuraaa' and I couldn't stop laughing. XD
Sep 23, 2018 12:52 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
I am telling you, Katsura is the smartest and the maturest amongst Shoyo's disciples.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Sep 23, 2018 1:03 PM

Nov 2016
This was one hell of an interesting episode. Didn't expect an info drop so soon.

I'm worried for Takasugi...:/

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 23, 2018 1:05 PM
Sep 2017
Wonderful episode!
Gintoki with baby / little boy Shoyo was so sweet. Gintoki’s internal struggle was evident on his face. He just couldn’t bring himself to kill him. I do hope they can save him somehow!
But aaaauuuggghh! Takasugi! Please find a way to save him too! Maybe there will have to be a choice made again between saving one or the other in the end? That’s purely a guess - I don’t read the manga.
It will be nice to see the Odd Jobs reunion soon. :)
Sep 23, 2018 1:06 PM

Jul 2016
Amazing.
I loved the everything about this episode
And the art was FUCKING AMAZING xD
Hopefully they keep it up for next episode too
Sep 23, 2018 1:12 PM

Sep 2014
Best episode of the season. The moment when Gintoki attempted to kill baby Shoyo was pretty **cked up. I really liked how their roles felt that were reversed before Naraku steals his body. And Takasugi is just prolonging the inevitable now but still want to bring an end to the Tendoshou along with Gintoki and save their teacher. Lmfao when Sougo tried to assassinate Katsura. Given the whole depressing tone and info dumb this week this came out totally unexpected lol Only two episodes left and we aren't going to see what fully happens till next year. Damn...
Sep 23, 2018 1:45 PM

Mar 2008
that was one fantastic episode :)
Sep 23, 2018 2:10 PM

Feb 2013
The Naraku ruined everything!!
Shouyou was back, damn!
They need to get to his body now.
Will Takasugi's body hold up until then?
Sep 23, 2018 4:05 PM

Jul 2015
A few of the best chapters the series had offered so far were finally animated and man, it didn't disappoint.

This serious and low tone of Gintoki and Takasugi telling about their past is something you don't get to see everyday, and it's insanely powerful.

It was already mentioned in the manga section, but the writing in this episode is something that deserves a special mention and is, again, among the best written stories.
Sep 23, 2018 4:37 PM

Jun 2014
It was really interesting to see Gintoki being a father figure to the reborn Shouyo. I actually thought he was going to kill him at first 0.0

Looks like Gintoki is finally back in Edo, can't wait for him to reunite with Kagura and Shinpachi.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 23, 2018 5:57 PM

Aug 2018
Love it! Of all the series I watched, Gintama give me the soothing experience most.
Sep 23, 2018 7:24 PM
Nov 2013
Damn. Just damn. Having both the Gin and Taka backstory in this single episode was a treat.

I thought young shouyo looked much better in the anime, the red eyes looked cool and made you question which persona he had.

And my damn feels. It's not fair! Poor shouyo and gin, and Takasugi too. Fate just can't give these guys a break, can't wait to see them put an end to things for good, hopefully it'll be a happy ending.

10/10 awesome work BNP art and directing were ON POINT
crystalblade13Sep 24, 2018 2:44 PM
Sep 23, 2018 9:19 PM

Jul 2017
That was really interesting. Fucking amazing episode with major focus on what Gintoki has been up to, as well as some reveals regarding Takasugi's body.
Sep 23, 2018 9:35 PM
Sep 2018
It was a most eventful episode.

Btw: who voiced young Shoyo/Utsuro?
Sep 23, 2018 10:12 PM

Nov 2013
So was Utsuro being the Tendoshuu a hallucination? Also what did they mean by ... 'Your enemy is yourselves'
Sep 23, 2018 10:29 PM

Mar 2018
To be honest didn't expect the post utsuro scenario to be interesting but damn not only did they pull off the comedy well in the first two eps after utsuro but the utsuro heart plot point+ gintoki& takasugi's shenanigans pulled me in and this episode with this little exposition about what happened in the past two years and Gintoki's and Takasugi's different means towards the same was portrayed with the right amount of subdued emotions while also further expanding/iterating on the whole 'cursed' cycle of Utsuro's existence and hence his motivation leading to what Gintoki and taksugi aim to achieve now.This episode is definitely among the top ,if not the top, of this season. Directing was on point
However, the animation might not have been the best or rather much superior compared tot he previous couple of episodes I think.May be it's just me or the site I watched from;a few shots this episode were definitely well down, like shoyo's gouging of his own heart for instance. I mean compared to Utsuro's battle scene(ep 7 and 8 ) on Earth, which was the top animation sequence this season, I don't think the animation in this episode in general compares to that episode.
Sep 23, 2018 10:33 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
MdotO said:
However, the animation might not have been the best or rather much superior compared tot he previous couple of episodes I think.May be it's just me or the site I watched from;a few shots this episode were definitely well down, like shoyo's gouging of his own heart for instance. I mean compared to Utsuro's battle scene(ep 7 and 8 ) on Earth, which was the top animation sequence this season, I don't think the animation in this episode in general compares to that episode.
Nah, there's not much animation in this episode. It's the artwork in this episode that's the best this season.
Sep 24, 2018 5:20 AM

Dec 2013
An amazing amount of answers in this episode!
Sep 24, 2018 7:28 AM

Dec 2014
ok wow.. so this is what happened..and katsura's reason for the prime minister so much is happening I wish people talk much in this anime so that there were less confusions and misunderstandings than again then it won't be Gintama
Sep 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Jan 2013
The amount they managed to cover from the manga without it feeling rushed or jarring was spectacular. It's great seeing Takasugi once again acknowledging the suffering which has been imposed on Gintoki and the realisation that Takasugi is on the verge of death makes me worried because the person he's based on in history died of sickness as well. Felt weirdly nostalgic seeing that very same Tendoshu guy who appeared early in season 1 still kicking around, stubbornly refusing to give up.

Only two episodes left to go, here's to hoping the show stays at the peak in quality that this episode had, old and new musical tracks intermingling with stunning artwork and an epilogue that's gearing up towards becoming the beginning of an entirely new arc.
Sep 24, 2018 11:32 AM
Jun 2017
Great episode, as it has shown what Gintoki has done for the past years after leaving the Odd jobs. Well its still about Shoyo/utsuru. Now their enemy and their new found religion focusing on immortality is wanting that altana again... and this tine they are going to Edo again..

I also like how they have put the reason why Zurump made his decision and becoming the leader of their nation and that is still to prepare for coming of those enemies...

Takasugi also has the same goal like gin and zurump. Hahaha. Only in different ways. Well lets see if all of them will meet at edo again..
Sep 24, 2018 4:58 PM

Nov 2015
Wow, and i thought this was going to be a nice ending. But the naraku just dont die. Hyped AF.

Katsura janai, Zura da

Sep 26, 2018 10:17 PM

Jan 2011
damn good episode and there's still a decent chuck of it left right? wonder if we'll get another season next year to finish it off if it's only 14 right now.

Sep 27, 2018 8:30 PM

Nov 2011
Lol at Sougou and co. randomly attack Katsura after Katsura acted a bit cool .. Katsura as always destroyed the serious mood ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Oct 15, 2018 1:53 PM

Dec 2015
Shouldn't Takasugi's eye have regenerated? or does it work that way...?
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 15, 2018 3:23 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
joe_g7 said:
His regeneration would be about as good as Oboro's since he's using his remains. And Oboro's eye didn't regenerate after Takasugi took them out, since his regeneration abilities were inconsistent.
Oct 15, 2018 3:25 PM

Dec 2015
GoldenDevilGamer said:
joe_g7 said:
His regeneration would be about as good as Oboro's since he's using his remains. And Oboro's eye didn't regenerate after Takasugi took them out, since his regeneration abilities were inconsistent.
Oh, I see. Thanks for the reply!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 27, 2018 1:15 PM

May 2012
Interesting backstory and progression, I do quite wonder what the last two episodes will offer for this season!
Dec 22, 2018 5:04 AM

Mar 2016
A much-needed revelation to what Gintoki and Takasugi have been doing for the past 2 years...

Fucking Naraku always existing to spread pure hatred and chaos.
Even the Tendoshu are back now!
Jun 22, 2019 2:17 PM

Apr 2012
Oh no wonder I thought Takasugi looked like Bororo recently.

Lanzlo413 said:
Btw: who voiced young Shoyo/Utsuro?
Credits say Kitamura Eri.
Jul 21, 2019 11:09 AM

May 2015
Dun. DUn. Dun. Dun.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 7, 2019 6:33 AM

Jul 2010
This was the episode with the least amount of gags in Gintama history. There is actually only 1 gag.
Sep 28, 2019 10:22 AM
Apr 2018
I don't think I like this plot point. The entire point of Gintoki's character was that he moved on from his past thanks to the family he made with the Yorozuya. While Shinsuke couldn't let go of the past and that was what turned him into a villain. It's pretty much in every opening. Now Gintoki betrays his character development by abandoning the Yorozuya for someone from his past. It's a real shame that the last few episodes are a let down.
Nov 25, 2019 8:47 PM
Apr 2016
Ah, seems like with Utsuro, there are a bunch of problems coming.
Nov 29, 2019 11:00 PM

Mar 2015
Seems like we've caught up with what everyone's been doing over the last two years, and it's building towards the finale proper!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 26, 2020 12:02 PM

May 2016
So much things happened but Kid Shoyo was best part.
Mar 20, 2020 8:08 PM

Jan 2013
That was a lot of stuff to take in!
Definitely going to be interesting to see how they'll wrap this up.
Apr 22, 2020 12:53 AM

Aug 2019
Amazing episode. The whole subdued atmosphere was very well potrayed. We finally get to know what Gintoki and Takasugi were doing these past 2 years.
The scenes between Gintoki and kid Shoyo were beautiful. Takasugi used Oboro's blood to regenerate himself but it seems he won't make it till the end. Katsura explained why he took up the position of prime minister while Sougo and co rushed in, ruining the serious mood lol.
Mayo-13Apr 22, 2020 12:56 AM

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
May 16, 2020 6:08 AM
Feb 2018
Best episode of the season. Wow. I thought silver soul was a 7/10 but the aftermath right now is sooooo good.
Sep 11, 2020 7:11 PM

Aug 2018
Amazing episode, it pretty much cleared up any questions I had.

Oct 25, 2020 12:23 AM

Jul 2020
Glad they answered a lot of questions in this episode.
Dec 1, 2020 9:53 AM

Feb 2016
The writing of the story really manages to amaze me

Best episode of the season without doubt
Jul 7, 2021 1:42 AM

May 2020
Wow, probably the best episode of this arc. It was heartwarming to see Gintoki taking care of a reincarnated young Shoyo.
Aug 6, 2021 6:51 AM
Sep 2020
Great episode but how did Takasugi not see those small fries stabbing him in the back...He is the frigging takasugi...atleast someone OP should've stabbed him
Dec 3, 2021 10:28 PM

Jun 2020
Woah, this ep was really amazing. Loved every part of it. Also the preview for the next ep, guess they needed to put a joke somewhere lol
Mar 9, 2022 1:09 PM

Nov 2010
Interesting twists. Also, I'm so glad I'll be seeing adult form Kagura for the rest of the series.
Jun 6, 2022 5:19 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So Gintoki actually searched and managed to find Utsuro/Shoyo's resurrection while he gave him his heart so he can't be resurrected again but since they kept his body Gintoki and Takasugi are gonna try to revive him, looks like it's the final mission of Gintama as long as saving Edo from the attack, only a few eps left :'(
Jul 26, 2022 12:24 PM

Jul 2021
A heavy episode, the baby Shoyo and Gin moments were so wholesome and melancholic </3
Jul 31, 2022 5:39 AM
Jul 2018
The explanation for everything is here!
Takasugi is immortal because of Ogoro's blood. And Tendoshu is still kicking but I thing this time they will be defeated. The kid was cute with Gintoki.

Takasugi & Gintoki the duo is back!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Oct 7, 2018

142 by MewkiWay »»
Feb 3, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Sep 30, 2018

76 by MewkiWay »»
Feb 2, 10:01 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Aug 26, 2018

94 by MewkiWay »»
Jan 25, 9:20 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Sep 16, 2018

51 by Alex_TheForest »»
Nov 24, 2023 12:17 PM

Poll: » Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

GoldenDevilGamer - Sep 9, 2018

66 by Alex_TheForest »»
Nov 12, 2023 1:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.