Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 21, 2018 6:31 PM

Aug 2016
I read the first 2 LN of Overlord after watching all 3 seasons of the anime.

It took me 3 years to finish season 1 whereas the LNs were very brisk reads. And I gotta ask...why do people like the anime so much?

Especially the LN fans for that matter.

I did some research and the anime cuts so much content from the LN franchise as to make the anime feel incomplete. It also reorders events purely for the sake of simplicity.

I mean, its an OP protagonist, and I love watching people get pummeled without mercy. And he's also a villain, and I want more of those in anime and in manga (manga has more purely off the virtue of it costing less to create)

Hell even the worldbuilding elements and setting of Not-Yggdrasil is fascinating. Maruyama's love for table top rpgs shine through brilliantly since the lore and cultures of the this new world is more interesting than most isekai I've seen ever. The scene where the lizard meets the albino lizard was so uniqueluly funny, and the setup for the joke was so well planned out that I gasped for air.

Doesn't Momonga's complete incompetence at understanding what Demiurge or the other denizens of Nazetick are planning bother anyone else?

Or that emotion suppressor?

Am I the only one that thinks Momonga is the biggest cop out of a villain protagonist ever? (At least in the anime)

Maybe I'm missing something so help me out. I'm about to make a youtube video about why I dislike this series and I want to get a better perspective from the people who love it so I have a better understanding
Somali_StrawhatSep 22, 2018 12:17 PM
Sep 22, 2018 8:13 AM

Oct 2013
Well I'm wondering the same thing
“You might be able to do it if you try. But if you don’t try, you definitely can’t”
Sep 22, 2018 8:15 AM

Oct 2007
Because lonely virgins love watching shitty self-insert anime where all the female characters adore the absolute bore that is the MC. Why else?
Sep 22, 2018 10:55 AM

Aug 2016
Kuromii said:
Because lonely virgins love watching shitty self-insert anime where all the female characters adore the absolute bore that is the MC. Why else?

Parsing out the sarcasm basically you're implying its wish fulfillment right? But why would anyone wishing for an ecchi harem want to watch it from the perspective of someone magically castrated?

If its for a villain protagonist why are they satisfied with an MC that constantly has an excuse for why he's not really such a bad guy/just going with the flow? He's not evil he's just roleplaying and he had no idea that he was taking over the world for 3 seasons based off a misunderstanding has got to be the biggest piece of copout reasons for evil.

Like worst than any last minute sob story a villain says when he's about to die in front of the hero to make you feel sorry kind of copout.

Wouldn't it be more fun to watch someone who's been ridiculed into being antisocial become an Overlord for purely selfish reasons and relish in being all powerful?

I don't like Code Geass that much but I totally get why Lelouch is the most popular character on MAL. He's charismatic and deceitful, and he takes pleasure in manipulating his enemies into defeat. His love for theatrics is emulated perfectly in his Zero persona and whenever he makes a staged performance you can tell he's having fun decieving people. In other words, despite his tragic backstory, Lelouch's determination to exact revenge isn't characterized as all that noble even if Lelouch intended it to be. And he's always making his own choices so it not like he has any excuses for his own behavior. I

nstead of making a sympathetic character they just focused on making an empathetic one. So people like him regardless of whether or not his actions are justified because they understand Lelouch's thought process and reasons for his actions.
Somali_StrawhatSep 22, 2018 11:06 AM
Sep 22, 2018 11:10 AM

Jun 2011
Because people have a boner for Madhouse.

A while ago I talked to someone on youtube about Overlord and how it sucks, we came to the conclusion that the anime is pretty meh. I don't read the LN but there were few people on that comment thread who said that the LN is a masterpiece and the anime is passable at best and it's not even close.

If this was made by Pierrot or A1 Studio or J.C. Staffs, LN fans would've blasted those studios for not adapting the original source properly.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 22, 2018 11:30 AM

Aug 2016
ToG25thBaam said:
Because people have a boner for Madhouse.

A while ago I talked to someone on youtube about Overlord and how it sucks, we came to the conclusion that the anime is pretty meh. I don't read the LN but there were few people on that comment thread who said that the LN is a masterpiece and the anime is passable at best and it's not even close.

If this was made by Pierrot or A1 Studio or J.C. Staffs, LN fans would've blasted those studios for not adapting the original source properly.

Yeah I get that. Other than the monsters and magic using jarring CG/janky 3D models the series looks pretty good visually.

I especially like the variation in costume design that lends to each character's personality. The outdoor background designs aren't bad but not great either but I enjoy the interior designs for the palace kingdom and the great hall for the tomb of Nazerick.

But the character designs aren't as stylized as heavily as So-bin's artwork is and settles for a generic mainstream anatomy. So-bin's artwork looks beautiful and I would've rather they stuck with something resembling that instead as it exudes high fantasy.

But is that really it though? Just because Madhouse produced it, everyone's cool with it?
Sep 22, 2018 11:44 AM

Jun 2011
Somali_Strawhat said:
But is that really it though? Just because Madhouse produced it, everyone's cool with it?
There are also anime-only fans that really like the anime because they don't have a set standard like fans of the LN do. The anime has a self-insert protagonist, and based on your criticism of the anime (I haven't watched season 3 yet) it seems like the anime is trying to avoid making the protagonist too evil, which proves my point as well. It's kind of a guilty pleasure for many people to want to pretend as a (not so) evil overlord having all the hot npcs as side chicks and badass dudes as subordinates, going around killing people and wiping villages.

But yea I think the Madhouse brand does affect the public opinion a little bit, people on MAL absolutely love Madhouse studio.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 22, 2018 11:47 AM

Oct 2007
Somali_Strawhat said:
Kuromii said:

Parsing out the sarcasm basically you're implying its wish fulfillment right? But why would anyone wishing for an ecchi harem want to watch it from the perspective of someone magically castrated?

If its for a villain protagonist why are they satisfied with an MC that constantly has an excuse for why he's not really such a bad guy/just going with the flow? He's not evil he's just roleplaying and he had no idea that he was taking over the world for 3 seasons based off a misunderstanding has got to be the biggest piece of copout reasons for evil.

Like worst than any last minute sob story a villain says when he's about to die in front of the hero to make you feel sorry kind of copout.

Wouldn't it be more fun to watch someone who's been ridiculed into being antisocial become an Overlord for purely selfish reasons and relish in being all powerful?

I don't like Code Geass that much but I totally get why Lelouch is the most popular character on MAL. He's charismatic and deceitful, and he takes pleasure in manipulating his enemies into defeat. His love for theatrics is emulated perfectly in his Zero persona and whenever he makes a staged performance you can tell he's having fun decieving people. In other words, despite his tragic backstory, Lelouch's determination to exact revenge isn't characterized as all that noble even if Lelouch intended it to be. And he's always making his own choices so it not like he has any excuses for his own behavior. I

nstead of making a sympathetic character they just focused on making an empathetic one. So people like him regardless of whether or not his actions are justified because they understand Lelouch's thought process and reasons for his actions.

You asked why people like Overlord, I told you what I think. It's fine if people like it, but I think it's embarrassing and thoroughly cringey.
Sep 22, 2018 12:10 PM

Aug 2016
Kuromii said:

You asked why people like Overlord, I told you what I think. It's fine if people like it, but I think it's embarrassing and thoroughly cringey.

My bad if I seemed flippant, that wasn't my intention. And I don't actually begrudge people for liking Overlord either. Thank you for your observation and I'll use your input and take it into consideration.

ToG25thBaam said:
There are also anime-only fans that really like the anime because they don't have a set standard like fans of the LN do. The anime has a self-insert protagonist, and based on your criticism of the anime (I haven't watched season 3 yet) it seems like the anime is trying to avoid making the protagonist too evil, which proves my point as well. It's kind of a guilty pleasure for many people to want to pretend as a (not so) evil overlord having all the hot npcs as side chicks and badass dudes as subordinates, going around killing people and wiping villages.

But yea I think the Madhouse brand does affect the public opinion a little bit, people on MAL absolutely love Madhouse studio.

Thats true, shit I love Madhouse too tbh lol. So basically it acts as a safe avenue for wish fulfillment without making the audience feel too uncomfortable with an actual deviant protagonist. That actually makes a lot of sense.

Maybe I'm judging it harshly for being safe when it never had any intention in being anything else but safe in the first place.

Thank you very much for your opinion
Sep 24, 2018 2:33 PM
Sep 2018
Hi I was just posted my thought on an old thread about how Overlord is just a wish fulfillment power fantasy. So I'm just gonna quote myself here, maybe its relevant for you.

In addition to that, you might want to check tvtropes entry on.

Sep 24, 2018 4:16 PM

Aug 2016
00784212 said:
Hi I was just posted my thought on an old thread about how Overlord is just a wish fulfillment power fantasy. So I'm just gonna quote myself here, maybe its relevant for you.

In addition to that, you might want to check tvtropes entry on.

These are extremely great points. Madhouse was cutting corners on this project left and right and fans still praise it so highly. If Madhouse was doing this intentionally knowing that the IP's fanbase didn't give two shits then props to them for saving money lol. I heard CG is more expensive than hand drawn animation but thats only now in its infancy. Even still, I find it hard to believe that those PS2 ogres and goblin army are more expensive than drawing them by hand.

Another of your points with the show don't tell aspect. This was my biggest issue of the series regardless of the medium. There's this moment in Season 3 where Ainz tells everyone to cover their ears so he can complain about how he doesn't want to kill these people since it wasn't his idea but he'll do it anyway. And like I couldn't understand who was he even talking to at all. Why would he need to say that? Unless he was speaking directly to the audience to make sure the villain protagonist doesn't get too evil ot something and alienates the audience.

And that's what frustrates me so much about this series. I don't want to relate to an evil Overlord, yet they do everything possible to make him seem relatable to the audience. The fact that the first 3 episodes bombard you with examples and exposition of how loyal his followers are to him, and how they worship him like a God makes any of those theories of Ainz fearing that they'll turn on him seem so insincere. I would believe that if he didn't come into the story with maxed out stats, but considering how the series constantly reminds me how unbeatable he is there's no way I'd buy it. The season 1 climax of him kicking the shit out of one of his followers just adds to my disbelief.

And he's a definite Villain Sue but I think that was unintentional. Ainz constantly tries to defend the honor of the place he and his online friends created, yet how could anyone in their right mind think Ainz's casual MMORPG friends he's never met in real life, who have all moved on from the game before the servers even closed down, would want someone commiting mass murder and torture in their name?

The fact that they try to pass him off as just a normal person for thinking that way is so unnerving. Like when they cued to a flashback of how he was saved by a friend in the game and thats what prompted him to change his mind about not preventing a village filled with live humans from getting slaughtered. How could they possibly pass off being saved in a game, and being saved from mass murder as the same?

He's such a Villain Sue but the author continuously adds in these weird unearned appeals to his kindness directly to the audience and its exactly like a laugh track for a sitcom but worse since they try and make him some sort of endearing victim in all this.

I can understand why Light and Lelouch are such popular characters despite being villain protagonists considering how they are consistently the ones who choose actions consistently to their internal logic and world view, even if its not one I agree with. Death Note and Code Geass want the audience to understand the bad guy not like him, but in doing so made the most likable assholes in anime. Whereas Overlord felt like it wants me to like the bad guy without any understanding of who he is whatsoever since he's given no clear choices that highlight his character. Either he's an undead and he didn't want to kill a bunch of people, or he was too blind to see that he was taking over the world, or he's getting peer pressured by his worshippers to play God.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2015

283 by RayousSR »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Overlord Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2015

239 by RayousSR »»
Yesterday, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

368 by mustiest »»
Apr 17, 8:09 PM

» Why do people compare this show to SAO? ( 1 2 )

arc1only - Jan 8

58 by Reevansingh21 »»
Mar 31, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

431 by C0ST4 »»
Mar 29, 7:51 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.