Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sep 20, 2018 7:35 AM

Heya, I found this ( https://otakumode.com/news/5a67437666f5eff062c199ff/Beginner-s-Guide-to-Fate-Anime! ) guide on how to watch the series, but it's not very clear. Is UBW a continuation of the original 06' series? Also their watch order differs a lot from the Sequel/Prequel order here on MAL. I just needed help on what order to watch them. Sorry if it's a recurring topic and thanks for your time :)

Sep 20, 2018 8:30 AM

It's a recurring topic alright. I've seen a lot of threads like this concerning Fate series and replies also vary. But first, let me explain about Fate a little.

Fate/stay night originated as a visual novel with three routes.

1st route: Fate/stay night
2nd route: Unlimited Blade Works
3rd route: Heaven's Feel

Each following a different storyline with focus on one heroine at a time.

For 1st route, Fate/stay night 2006 is the closest anime you'll get but they tried to mash up all 3 routes into 1 anime so it'll be a tad difficult to understand for a beginner.

For 2nd route, we have 2014 UBW version which you can watch standalone and it's the 2nd best anime in Fate series imo.

For 3rd route, we have currently airing HF movies trilogy with 1st movie already released so you can watch that.

To answer your question, UBW is NOT a sequel to 2006 series. It's just a different route so only the beginning will be the same and later events differ greatly.

As for watching order... Hmm, here comes the difficult part. Since it's a visual novel adaptation, you can watch Fate in any order you like actually. That's why most answers vary when asking about which one to watch first. My recommendation would be:

1. Fate/stay night 2006 (Yes, it's a bad adaptation but it's better if you watched this first. It gives a good grasp about the series so you can expect what's to come in later series. Just don't expect too much from it.)

2. Fate/zero (A masterpiece imo which started the Fate boom. It's a prequel of all Fate series and you can also watch it as a standalone. The events in F/z will lead to the 3 routes of F/sn.)

3. UBW (getting bored typing xD) (Like said in above, the 2nd route)

4. Heaven's Feel movies (Like said in above, the 3rd route)

This is all if you only want to watch the main Fate. There are more spin-offs and different universes like Fate/Apocrypha, Fate/Extra Last Encore, Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya etc. but you can ignore them. They don't contribute very much to the main story, just made the lore deeper.

That's about it for anime part. There's still more to Fate like games, light novels, manga etc. but I won't bother to explain them now. I'm kind of a veteran concerning this series so if you have more question, just post it on my profile.

Lastly, I'd recommend to play the original visual novel if you're interested. It's worth 100+ hours of your life. Just skip the sex scenes. No one reads Fate for those.

Sep 20, 2018 9:07 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/wiki/seriesfaq/fate

there's no 100% agreed upon watch order, watch them however you want
or read the VN
Gabriel_Tkacz said:
Is UBW a continuation of the original 06' series?

no, it is set in an alternate world to FSN 2006, same characters and setting, different scenario with the grail war.

Sep 28, 2018 1:58 PM

Read the fucking visual novel.

If you don't like visual novels, then don't get into the series.

If you still really want to:
> fate/stay night 2006 (fate route)
>fate/stay night unlimited blade works UFOTABLE VERSION (ubw route)
>fate/zero
>heaven's feel movies
>read fate/hollow ataraxia
>any other spin offs

But honestly, I STRONGLY suggest you read the vn. If you end up liking the vn then also read the fate/zero light novel and fate/hollow ataraxia.
Modified by Sprungus, Sep 28, 2018 2:04 PM

Sep 28, 2018 2:30 PM

Most importantly: DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT watch the UBW movie from Studio Deen. At least not until after you have watched the UBW 2014 UFOTABLE adaptation in its entirety. The movie is just like a slide show that spoils all the events of UBW but is very bad otherwise. The only good thing about it is that it gave us the original DR. GILGAMESH parody.

Sep 29, 2018 1:44 AM

Fate Stay Night (2006)
Fate Stay Night UBW series (Ufotable)
Fate Stay Night Heaven's Feel
Fate/Zero
And then all other spinoffs like Carnival Phantasm, Fate Kalied, etc

Emilia-tan is a goddess!

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan ;)

May 18, 1:21 AM

Fate Stay night 2006
Fate zero
Fate Stay Night UBW 2014
Fate Stay Night Heavens's Feel
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.