Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Did Steins;Gate composer Takeshi Abo plagiarize Umineko no Naku Koro Ni's composer ZTS?

New
Sep 19, 2018 3:57 PM

Oct 2014
I recently noticed that a lot of Japanese content creators, be it video games, anime, or anime-related stuff like light novels which got anime adaptations, have had some troubles with accusations of plagiarism. Notable examples would be Metal Gear Solid's main theme which apperently plagiarized a Russian song, or the illustrator of the No Game No Life light novel, who supposedly "traced" someone else's work.

Now I might have possibly noticed a similar situation, in this case dealing with OSTs. The first time I listened to the OST of Steins;Gate, specifically one of the main themes, "Gate of Steiner", a part of it sounded oddly familiar, but I didn't know at the time where exactly I heard it. But now I found out!

It's a theme from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni's OST, called "far".

Note that Umineko's track was without a doubt released before Steins;Gate. The track "far" was appearently created by ZTS and first used in 2008, while Steins;Gate had been released in 2009. Seems like it would be just the right time for the track to be an "inspiration", doesn't it?

Now speculation is nice and all, but let's get the evidence rolling. It's actually just a mere 20 second segment, so it might really just be a "coincidence" in the end, or perhaps a subconcious action, but you can't deny that it's oddly similar:

First listen to this 1:00 - 1:20 segment of "far" from the Umineko soundtrack:

Now a section of that track is re-used in a different style in another track from ZTS in the sequel VN "Umineko no Naku Koro Ni Chiru" which was released in August 2009, called "Resurrected Replayer". Note that this is still before the release date of Steins;Gate which was in October 2009.

Listen to the track "Resurrected Replayer" from the Umineko Chiru soundtrack 2:03 - 2:23:

And now compare these two 20 second segments above with the 0:50 - 1:10 segment of the Steins;Gate track called "Gate of Steiner":

So what do you think? Is it plagiarism? Is it a subconcious "inspiration"? Is it coincidence? Is the truth perhaps that both composers plagiarized someone completely different I am not aware of?

DISCUSS!

(note to mods: This thread is in the general anime section because it involves two different VNs, both which have anime adaptations which also re-use the same tracks or remixed version of the same tracks, so I considered this the correct place instead of the video games section.)
Sep 19, 2018 4:00 PM

Jul 2015
Just leaving that here for the lulz

I love you all!
Sep 19, 2018 4:03 PM

Oct 2014
^The plagiarism seems to be an even graver issue than expected! *gaps, while putting on tinfoil hat*
Sep 19, 2018 4:05 PM

Sep 2017
Who doesn't love a bit of good ol plagiarism
Sep 19, 2018 4:27 PM

May 2009
It's not plagiarism; it's tribute.

And I've known about the Bond/Evangelion one for years.

I honestly don't see why it's a problem for music to sound similar to other music.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 19, 2018 5:37 PM

Sep 2018
That's nothing new. Everything is copy. But it is not even fun fact and you should stop ruining fun of others.
Sep 19, 2018 6:31 PM

Dec 2012
So? Mobile Suit Gundam F91 also plagiarizes Star Wars, one of the most beloved nerd properties and nobody cares.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 19, 2018 7:07 PM

Apr 2014
does sound "inspired", but props for actually picking that up
Sep 19, 2018 7:09 PM

Dec 2017
Yeah the filthy japs can't come up with anything original on their own
Sep 19, 2018 7:15 PM

Mar 2017
It's pretty much a problem in live action movies as well. I don't know if it applies to anime but in live action movies, I'm told it's a by-product of the temp track.

This video expands on it. Skip to 5:48

You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Sep 19, 2018 10:28 PM

Dec 2017
City Ruins (Shade) from NieR:Automata sounds pretty similar to Far for the first 30 seconds. Similarity is pretty hard to avoid.

But damn Far sounds good. Totally adding that to my library.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Sep 19, 2018 11:52 PM

Nov 2014
I wish I could explain it better, but it's not necessarily plagiarism but rather a pretty commonly used lick in Japanese music. Here it is in the first 4 seconds of this song from Spirited Away
aaaaaa0Sep 19, 2018 11:57 PM
Sep 20, 2018 1:06 AM

Apr 2018
What is sure is that umineko's music shit on steins gate's music
Sep 21, 2018 2:49 AM

Oct 2014
Akerakai said:

That's indeed true.

The two main composers of Umineko, Dai and ZTS, really outdid themselves with the music for Umineko. My personal favorite from ZTS in Umineko is definitly "Dream End Discharger".

I really like the Steins;Gate OST, don't get me wrong, but Umineko simply outclasses it.
Sep 22, 2018 1:01 AM

Jul 2017
That's not plagiarism, it's called "getting inspired".
Sep 29, 2018 4:05 PM

Jan 2010
Grey-Zone said:
I recently noticed that a lot of Japanese content creators, be it video games, anime, or anime-related stuff like light novels which got anime adaptations, have had some troubles with accusations of plagiarism. Notable examples would be Metal Gear Solid's main theme which apperently plagiarized a Russian song, or the illustrator of the No Game No Life light novel, who supposedly "traced" someone else's work.

Now I might have possibly noticed a similar situation, in this case dealing with OSTs. The first time I listened to the OST of Steins;Gate, specifically one of the main themes, "Gate of Steiner", a part of it sounded oddly familiar, but I didn't know at the time where exactly I heard it. But now I found out!

It's a theme from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni's OST, called "far".

Note that Umineko's track was without a doubt released before Steins;Gate. The track "far" was appearently created by ZTS and first used in 2008, while Steins;Gate had been released in 2009. Seems like it would be just the right time for the track to be an "inspiration", doesn't it?

Now speculation is nice and all, but let's get the evidence rolling. It's actually just a mere 20 second segment, so it might really just be a "coincidence" in the end, or perhaps a subconcious action, but you can't deny that it's oddly similar:

First listen to this 1:00 - 1:20 segment of "far" from the Umineko soundtrack:

Now a section of that track is re-used in a different style in another track from ZTS in the sequel VN "Umineko no Naku Koro Ni Chiru" which was released in August 2009, called "Resurrected Replayer". Note that this is still before the release date of Steins;Gate which was in October 2009.

Listen to the track "Resurrected Replayer" from the Umineko Chiru soundtrack 2:03 - 2:23:

And now compare these two 20 second segments above with the 0:50 - 1:10 segment of the Steins;Gate track called "Gate of Steiner":

So what do you think? Is it plagiarism? Is it a subconcious "inspiration"? Is it coincidence? Is the truth perhaps that both composers plagiarized someone completely different I am not aware of?

DISCUSS!

(note to mods: This thread is in the general anime section because it involves two different VNs, both which have anime adaptations which also re-use the same tracks or remixed version of the same tracks, so I considered this the correct place instead of the video games section.)

Well I'll be damned. Far starts off like Steins Gate.
Oct 31, 2018 12:35 AM

Jun 2012
With many music being produced in the world you will eventually come across some that will sound similar to each other one form or another. Personally I think the beginning of Gate of Steiner sounds more similar to the Fairy Fountain from the TLoZ games.
Mar 1, 2019 1:56 PM
Jul 2018
Akerakai said:

Everyone knows that, at least those who have read both.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - Apr 19, 2011

260 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

805 by Nemesis133 »»
Yesterday, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

saxophone15 - Apr 26, 2011

241 by GatchiShoppo »»
Apr 20, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.