Forum Settings
Forums

Does anyone on here deal with anxiety and depression?

New
Sep 18, 2018 8:38 PM

Apr 2017
I have recently been diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression. It honestly hit me out of nowhere. I’ve normally had mild anxiety about things that would normally make people anxious, but about 3 weeks ago it took a turn for the worst and it has honestly crippled me to want to stay home and do nothing all day which has caused depression. I started seeing a therapist and that has slightly helped. I haven’t went to work or school in the last few days. I also do not have any drive to do things I normally enjoy doing like watching anime, playing golf, and video games. Mainly my question is if other people in the forums deal with this kinda thing and if they have any tips that help them.
Sep 18, 2018 8:43 PM

Mar 2008
Yeah for ages it seems. Depends what the reason is. A better diet and some exercise helps but only solving the problem if it's situation caused would it go away.
Sep 18, 2018 8:47 PM

Apr 2017
traed said:
Yeah for ages it seems. Depends what the reason is. A better diet and some exercise helps but only solving the problem if it's situation caused would it go away.
My diet isn’t the best, but I definitely exercise a lot. It really sucks man. I usually always want to go do things and have fun, but these last 3 week starts have been some of the worst of my life.
Sep 18, 2018 8:49 PM

Jan 2013
You would be surprised by the amount of MAL users who suffer from depression, anxiety, or even worse disorders.

I understand how you feel. I was diagnosed with depression and panic disorder, so my experiences dealing with these problems are very similar to yours.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Sep 18, 2018 8:53 PM

Oct 2014
I used to. When I was a kid, for reasons unknown, I had a lot of negativity inside of me. At the time, I dealt with that negativity by lashing out in anger. I had quite a temper. But as I continued to age, that anger slowly turned to sadness and pessimism. For awhile I felt dead inside, almost catatonic at times. But over time I kind of just got over it, I guess. I never felt suicidal per se, or at least I never had the notion of "I actually want to kill myself", but more "I don't care about anything, I wouldn't mind dying right now". So maybe my case wasn't as severe as others. But it was definitely a dark time in my life; several rough years.
Sep 18, 2018 8:55 PM

Apr 2017
Sweet said:
You would be surprised by the amount of MAL users who suffer from depression, anxiety, or even worse disorders.

I understand how you feel. I was diagnosed with depression and panic disorder, so my experiences dealing with these problems are very similar to yours.
Did it just come out of nowhere? Like I’ve always worried about stuff, but nothing too major. Some days I feel fine and others I’m not. I had a panic attack at work and I haven’t wanted to go back since. Nobody noticed that I was having one luckily, but it freaked me out.
Sep 18, 2018 9:01 PM

Jan 2013
Aslat24 said:
Sweet said:

Did it just come out of nowhere? Like I’ve always worried about stuff, but nothing too major. Some days I feel fine and others I’m not. I had a panic attack at work and I haven’t wanted to go back since. Nobody noticed that I was having one luckily, but it freaked me out.

My depression didn't come from nowhere, but I wouldn't like to go in depth about it on an anime forum lol.

My panic disorder... I would say it did come from nowhere and at the same it did not. A few years ago, I would only get panic attacks when I was under A LOT of stress, especially when I had to take very important exams and things like that, but it didn't happen really frequently. One day, I started getting panic attacks every single day (sometimes up to 5 attacks a day), like, I could be shopping with my family or laying on my bed and get a panic attack. It made no sense. Then, I got sertraline on prescription and I started to get better.

On top of that, my panic attacks are pretty freaking obvious.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Sep 18, 2018 9:03 PM

Nov 2017
I can't say I have anything super severe, but I do get stressed pretty easily from school and work. I get thoughts occasionally where I just don't care about anything and wouldn't mind dying in that particular moment (I don't mean to say I'm suicidal, it's more just a lack of motivation). I just try to get through my life one day at a time while I wait for the good moments.
Sep 18, 2018 10:03 PM

Jul 2017
I was never depressed but I do have problems with anxiety...
basically on certain weird things....
Im afraid of seeing bodyhair (I literally trim and shave my entire body, even the hair on my neck and face weekly) so it was painful...
I have ocd as well as I am anxious to live in an environment without being cleaned by me personally (I wash phones, clean everything twice, use dishsoaps on textbooks etc)
its actually affecting my life so I did went to see a therapist 3 years ago
things are moving slowly still as I cannot live with my family, or even touching pets or even seeing those tiny insects (wheneve I see an ant I clean the 1 meter square area of it immediately)
Im just afraid to being touched by others and not even willing to wear anything but thick hoodies and those pants you wear in winter and I wear a fluffy hat all the time
Im was dettached to being an organism most likely because I am not enjoying having my body at all with these bodyhairs
I refused my friends coming over many times, and even my family was discouraged to meet me in person at my place
Sometimes It takes me hours to clean just my room and I suffered greatly from it
3 years from on I think Im much better as I am able to socialize with people normally outside of my comfort zone (my apartment at least) and I am less addictive to those chemicals (soap, detergents etc) [I used to eat toothpaste like mayonnaise]
things are getting better I believe :D
Sep 18, 2018 10:19 PM

Aug 2015
If you found, tell me about it i need too.

Sep 18, 2018 10:30 PM

May 2013
I used to have panic attacks when I was younger, but I've chilled out a lot as I've gotten to know myself better... I feel like I used to be afraid to take it easy, but now I don't have this problem. I wish anyone good luck in freeing themselves from anxiety :)
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Sep 18, 2018 11:48 PM

Aug 2012
Yes, I do. For my entire life, but things got serious when I was 11. Panic attacks and huge anxiety to start. Years later, depression appeared definitely. All those are still pestering me, but at least I can control them kinda better. But I lost very important life events because of them...
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Sep 18, 2018 11:55 PM

Apr 2013
I think the number of people with depression is way higher than what everyone here thinks. I'm depressed almost every day for various reasons and I have a friend who actually sees a psychiatrist once a week and has been diagnosed with depression.
Sep 19, 2018 12:28 AM

Oct 2012
Aslat24 said:
I have recently been diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression. It honestly hit me out of nowhere. I’ve normally had mild anxiety about things that would normally make people anxious, but about 3 weeks ago it took a turn for the worst and it has honestly crippled me to want to stay home and do nothing all day which has caused depression. I started seeing a therapist and that has slightly helped. I haven’t went to work or school in the last few days. I also do not have any drive to do things I normally enjoy doing like watching anime, playing golf, and video games. Mainly my question is if other people in the forums deal with this kinda thing and if they have any tips that help them.

Props to you for going out and getting help immediately. A lot of people with severe depression wont be able to do that.
Sep 19, 2018 12:41 AM

Mar 2014
oh i asked similar question before. the replies were vary, top 3 recommendation: talk to your family or friends, take a walk around, sleep, etc, music and focus on your job/study. i tried all of them and the best solution for me is sleep and become workaholic. here's the detail: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1737529&pollresults=1
Sep 19, 2018 2:55 AM
Jul 2018
anxiety and depression...what an awful duo
honestly maybe you should take pills
Sep 19, 2018 5:49 AM

Jun 2016
Sucks to hear that dude. Shit like the anxiety/depression combo is something I would never wish upon even my worst enemies. It's awful.
I've been depressed for like two years now, and quite a while ago anxiety hit me like a baseball bat to the head, completely out of nowhere. I know exactly how you feel. Panic attacks are literally the worst feeling in the world. Had one at work too, but also in the car, the train, etc. It haunts you and your life starts to revolve around it, especially if it happens every other day.
What immediately helped me was simply being around people I trusted (mostly family).

One thing that's crucial for you to know is that it will go away again, both the depression and anxiety. It might be bad now, but one day it will be gone. Perhaps not forever, but you won't always feel like this. I was a complete mess 6 months ago. I couldn't go outside without panicking, and at night I couldn't sleep because I was afraid I would kill myself. Right now I'm doing better though, I don't have panic attacks any more. I can feel em coming and I know how to control it. By re-evaluating my values in life and forcing positive thoughts I get by while depressed. So keep that in mind. It's tough but you have to have hope.

It might sound trite but you really only can save yourself in situations like this. I haven't sought any professional help but I found that by simply watching my breathing, analysing situation from a neutral and rational perspective, and slowly reintegrating myself into situations that make me uncomfortable, that I made leaps of progress. It might not be the same for you, but I took up jogging (just half an hour every other day, gives you a rush of endorphins that make you feel happy) and completely scrapping any unhealthy foods and habits helped tremendously. No more McDonalds, no more smoking, no more coffee, eat a lot of fruit, etc. You have no idea what kind of chemicals are in all that unhealthy shit that makes you unbalanced. Also, SLEEP. Sleep 8 hours, it helps.
It takes a lot of concentration and "guts", I should say, but it's what you gotta do just to not have your higher order reasoning completely taken over.
Try going back to work, but in shorter shifts if possible, and stay in touch with family and friends. It's good that you got help, too.
If you ever wanna ask something or talk don't hesitate to let me know.
I hope things will get better for you.
Sep 19, 2018 12:11 PM

Jan 2009
i suffer from schizophrenia and it made me self-centered (preoccupied of self the voices talking only about me) and too lazy

well escapism like watching anime and MAL forums kinda help distract them away a little but for sure its not healthy way to deal with this

i say force yourself to move more be it exercise or doing house chores just to get that beyond yourself thinking going on, because i think in general mental illness makes people too much preoccupied by their self

mindfulness meditation can make you detach yourself from the self-centered mind too
Sep 19, 2018 2:16 PM

Jul 2017
i would say i have depressed feelings but i wouldnt want to diagnose myself or be diagnosed with depression itself. going to get help is hard enough
Sep 19, 2018 2:22 PM
Sep 2018
Maybe it could help to change up your routine? Depression actually has a biological basis in the wild-- animals will withdraw from frustrating or fruitless attempts in order to conserve energy. So it could be a sign that you should redeploy your efforts in a different direction.

Something I find that helps me is to write or draw, creative pursuits. The best thing to do is blow out all that energy, and if you end up with a toxic negative mess, just trash the whole thing. That will help you get back to a zero point.
Sep 19, 2018 3:12 PM

Jan 2013
I got mild anxiety, is what I found out when I took an online test. But dunno if I can trust that
Sep 19, 2018 3:17 PM
Sep 2018
Yeh I got serve anxiety and depression, but I got to therapy for it and I guess it help a bit.

My anxiety is very confusing tho; I can do drama and music and perform in front of 200 strangers, but I literally can't ask for ketchup in McDonald's or talk to new people face to face
Sep 19, 2018 3:53 PM

Feb 2018
Yes, for many years. And I've found that forcing myself to work through it has been a lot more effective than crying about it on the Internet (anxiety forums are just anxiety-enabling pity parties in my experience) or dealing with state-funded mental health facilities (We don't all have the luxury of therapists, and it annoys me that people casually mention "my therapist" while divulging their inner anguish on Internet forums, because they take merely having access to such services for granted when pity-posting about anxiety and depression to poor, uninvolved strangers, which seems grossly narcissistic). I had to make a choice between trying to fix my situation or committing suicide. Because of this, it really irritates me seeing people feel sorry for themselves, in spite of any/all opportunities and advantages they have, even going so far as to try to milk sympathy from randos online.

I still have a lot of difficulties, but it's remarkable to me how much I've progressed from where I was less than a year ago. I still self-medicate, but I manage to be functional in spite of it. I'd like to say I can "cope" without self-medicating, but I managed to make the majority of my progress through sheer determination, and my self-medicating now is mostly a product of trying to come to grips with all the new pressures that've come with the progress I've made. The last thing I want to do is fall back into a pattern of whining about how hard it is, feeling sorry for myself, and validating that self-pity by dragging other people into my sphere of negativity. I want to be accepted/understood, not pitied.
Sep 19, 2018 4:02 PM
Jul 2018
I've struggled with social anxiety all my life, but it has gotten better over the years. As for depression, I never started struggling with it until last Christmas.
Sep 19, 2018 6:58 PM

Oct 2010
I tend to get anxiety attacks, which consist of dizzy spells, trouble breathing, and nausea, in extremely crowded places. I usually recover from them if I find somewhere to sit down and have something to drink to help me with my nerves. I'm fine with social situations, though. It's just crowds that get me going.

Sep 19, 2018 7:08 PM

Oct 2012
My social anxiety is almost always there. But it's manageable and not that severe. It's more like me being very conscious around others, yet I always push myself around.

Been depressed since I was 15. I forgot what's it like to be normal and walk lightly without worries or how to be truly happy.
Sep 19, 2018 7:42 PM

Dec 2015
For 2 period of times I had a really deep depression which caused me to make alot of failure tries of commit suicide , fortunately I didn't do that obv.
Now I am not depressed but I can say what helped me .
Because the reason are the death of really close persons to me , memorising the good moments with them was a little bit helpful to me and the promises which never will be fulfilled but the memory about that was helping me .
What was the worst is that I could hid my depression in public , with my first depression I solved it alone and no one noticed it , even my Mother.
With my second depression , only thing which helped me were my friends , It was first time when I said to them "Please help me " and everybody went outside in that day , even these friends who weren't that close to me they came outside only for me which made me in start really happy ( now they're really close friends ) after saying to them what happenned and after a long dialouges with them it helped me so much . (Also in this day I started to smoke cigarettes which I do to novadays , which helps me when I suddenly feel a little bit sad because well tbh when someone close to you , friends or family dies it will always hurt , so smoking cigarettes alone and memorising the happy moments with died persons are really helpful even when I don't have depression )
Sep 19, 2018 8:37 PM
Jul 2018
I have experienced both severe social anxiety and depression. The earliest episodes of these two conditions were so chronic and so severe that I had to actually be removed from my home, and hospitalized in order to begin the process of recovery by a psychiatrist. If you are paralyzed in every day life, then you are doing the right thing by seeing a therapist and getting your thoughts out into the open. Like you I am extremely unmotivated at maintaining a social life and often find myself just doing things on my own (anime, gaming, etc.) If you are finding that you are too depressed to get into any activities that you normally enjoy then address that to the therapist first and foremost to make him/her aware. Secondly, try to pull yourself out of any depressed ruts you find yourself in. Rather than just basking in the feeling of depression/anxiety, physically remove yourself from that place and change environments. Also a little bit of physical exercise might help relax/decrease the anxiety/depression a little bit, making it more manageable to get into an activity that you enjoy. Also medication might be an alternative option that might help. I've been in the same situation where I'd come home from work after the work week and then just spend my weekend doing nothing productive or what I'd normally enjoy because of depression and anxiety. For me I had to make modifications to the medication I was on in order to feel better/less heavy. If the problem continues and you find yourself both paralyzed in every day life and in a constant rut where you just don't feel any enjoyment to do anything anymore, notify that to your therapist, and make her aware that it's a serious/urgent matter.
Sep 19, 2018 8:37 PM

Apr 2014
My anxiety didnt get real bad until 2015ish. But It's been on the DL recently.
Sep 19, 2018 9:45 PM

Feb 2015
Sometimes 3 EPs of loli anime will make your life better, though the down side is you know, you have to take it daily
Sep 19, 2018 9:46 PM

Oct 2014
I've been struggling with varying levels of it since I was a little kid, had a handle on how I approached situations so much sometimes the line get's muddied over if I do X because of how I grew/developed with depression, or if I'd be that way anyways.

With what to do about it, Professional help is going to mean more than what anyone here can say or suggest. Online communities aren't really a place to be getting advice, especially where so many others are fighting depression. Cause a lot of people have rather poor ways of fighting it, and if given an opening don't tend to hesitate to spread their poor coping mechanisms to others, and perpetuate the problem. Professionals are trained to deal with it, and have seen just about any case in the book, they're a valuable resource, use them.

That being said, there are a few general pieces I can try to weigh in on (noting this all personal experience and conjecture, not a professional opinion).

> Every case of Depression differs, everyone is affected differently, copes with it differently, has different environments (and influences) playing into it, different types of people they can (or can't) lean on for support. Sometimes the depression is situational, sometimes it's biological, sometimes it's both. So what works for one person, may not necessarily work for the other.

> The most popular solutions to depression tend to be stuff like, eat healthy, get physically active, force yourself into situations till one adapts, take the pill etc. Some people swear by some approaches and are aggressively against others. And some have the reverse stances. Some people think depression can only be solved by going outside and that the pill is a scam, some people think the pill is a be-all cure-all miracle drug to fix all of life's problems. Usually the truth is somewhere in the middle, and differs for the person. Some people legitimately do need the pill, so people have found the pill to be damaging, some people are more at home in doors, some people note improvement out of the house. It's all stuff you need to test out, try out and experiment with for yourself (with professional guidance, depending on what you're doing. Please don't self prescribe pills).

> Support network, support network, support network. You need people who care about you, and are willing to help you, you need people to lean on, we all do. You need the type of friends who follow not when it's easy, but when it's hard. You can try fighting depression alone, but the odds of that working out for you are minimal, at best you're bound to just delay it until it blows up even worse later. But opening up about it can be scary, cause I'll be frank, opening up about depression, you will lose people, people you thought you could trust. Not everyone want's people who are depressed in their lives, they don't see it as their problem are more than happy to just clean themselves from it. Though at the same time, that can be a good thing, or rather it has a good/silver lining. In that it helps you figure out the people who genuinely do care and stick around, and the people that will flee when things aren't peachy perfect. And the one's that stay, those are the ones you know that you can hold onto, trust, rely on and dedicate your all too. Focus and prioritise your energy where it will be healthier and more fulfilling.

TL;DR
Consult professionals on what works best for you.
There's a lot of popular advice, what works or may not depends on you and your own situation, nothing is scripture.
Find trustworthy, caring and loyal friends to confide in.
Sep 19, 2018 9:51 PM

Mar 2018
Yeah, so I was eating chicken nuggets earlier, and I spilled my buffalo sauce! It fell all over my warmups, and I was like "well at least it didn't fall on the floor", and then I noticed that it HAD fallen on the floor. :////

It was all good though cuz I had another pack of Buffalo sauce.
Help stop the spread of Korean propaganda (KPrOP) and sign this petition!
http://chng.it/Yw8Vzwk4Tg
Sep 20, 2018 2:21 AM
Jul 2018
i went through a really bad depression last year because so many things that happened messed me up and still haunt me to this day. im doing much better nowadays though, although i still get really depressed some days
Sep 20, 2018 5:24 AM

Apr 2018
I dealt with both along with some other problems, my mood recently is the best it's ever been and I'm not nearly as much of a NEET as I was.

Sep 20, 2018 9:41 PM
Sep 2018
Learn your fear or weakness and try to master them or they will master you;
Sep 20, 2018 11:41 PM

May 2014
It's not real, shut up and enjoy anime tiddies.
Sep 23, 2018 2:29 AM

Sep 2015
Since I have memory, I’ve suffered from anxiety attacks; before I didn’t know what they were so I just dealt with them. Years later a doctor “diagnosed” me with chronic depression ( tho a psychologist told me it wasn’t true & the doctor was wrong, after a looot of suffering).
Last year I had the worst experience with anxiety, i lost a lot of weight & basically i lost two years of college ( my attacks came back in 2O16 but I still managed to go to school, until at some point it became impossible). Right now I’m much better thank god, I used to take some medication, not anymore since I’m 9O% recovered ( I still have to deal with my fear of going outside tho ),sometimes I still have some attacks, smaller than they were before, but I know soon I’ll be perfectly fine again.

「 ⚠︎ 
Sep 23, 2018 2:37 AM

Aug 2018
Yes expecially depression. I think anxiety is even worse btw.

More topics from this board

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 9 hours ago

9 by traed »»
3 minutes ago

» Believe it or not, but my father-in-law works for law enforcement

DesuMaiden - 2 hours ago

8 by Theo1899 »»
49 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

59 by cody »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

15 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
1 hour ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

68 by shadowdownfall »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.