Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 16, 2018 6:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Even in the finale, the series still to take a dive into Rinne's past. Up to this point, the show tried to focus so much on her yet in the end, I don't feel like she's a creative character to remember.

Weak exposition and uninspired storytelling is what I describe this anime. Compared to the other episodes though, this one did have a more thrilling feeling so I guess that's something. I just wish the show didn't have such pacing issues.

Looks like the past and present finally connects. About time but that isn't enough to save this anime imo. That wedding though.
Sep 16, 2018 7:57 AM

Jun 2013
Damn what a hell of a plot twist for a final episode.

Now I feel really weird about the relationship of Setsuna and daughter Rinne, it makes me feel bad for daughter Rinne...

I really was engaged in this episode but one episode can't make up for most of the series, which was a bit boring. I think dull and not important characters, pacing issues and ineffective storytelling really took this series back, and that's only some of the issues.
With that said, I think the last few episodes were interesting enough to not call this series "bad".

MrMushinSep 16, 2018 10:32 AM
Sep 16, 2018 8:19 AM

Jul 2017
Even at the last episode, this series still has the cheek to do more storytelling?

But indeed, the last episode clarifies most of the loopholes, connecting both the past and present happenings of Kuon, what absolence is this.

The plot twist becomes apparent though...that the time-travelling gimmick is just time repeating over and over again, for both Rinne and Setsuna.

So the true couple was Setsuna and the past Rinne (present Kuon name change) then, and the wedding that had all of us were fooled by all this time.

Overall, unimpressive storytelling but bad pacing too.
Sep 16, 2018 8:26 AM

Jul 2017
This show is finally over and thank god it is.

The storytelling in this show was very lackluster for most of it and the ending was a bit bland for me.

The characters were all forgettable and very underwhelming, the setting was plain dumb and the 'SciFi' was so uninteresting.

Sure there was some solid music and artwork.

But overall, this show was really bad. Go watch Grisaia or Steins;Gate for much better shows.
Sep 16, 2018 8:28 AM
Aug 2016
I feel kinda sad since the main girl basically gets nothing.
Rinne after knowing the truth never saw Setsuna as his father but like an acquired one, and from nothing her mother is the real main girl.
But how many plotholes this anime (or maybe just the story, i need to play the VN) has?
Basically,
Ohara family doesn't really exist.
World gets resetted? Why? And if it's like this why Setsuna has memory of things that he lived in a world that already got resetted? He stayed in the "time freeze machine" when the world resetted or what?
And who the hell was the supposed Setsuna in the other Island when after that Rinne died?
What the heck?

Still gave a 7 but probably it's not a right vote. I liked some characters and stuff but duh.
Sep 16, 2018 8:40 AM

Dec 2014
Yeah this was actually a pretty good episode.

Didn't realize that Kuon was the actual Rinne, interesting twist there but it sorta ended right there and I'm not sure what happened to the whole save the island plot line and the whole future timeline or whatever. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.

Overall, the show suffers from what you'd expect in a typical VN adaptation. Trying to fit too much into too little space. The presentation was really not that good and more often that not the show just lost me or I didn't pay enough attention. The premise does seem to warrant quite a bit of intrigue and story does kinda feel like it could be good so I'd assume the VN actually pulls it all off in far better much more compelling fashion. I'll probably give the VN a try some da but that doesn't makeup for the lackluster presentation in the anime. I'd assume this is the sorta anime that only readers of the original VN would like.

5/10
Sep 16, 2018 8:50 AM
Sep 2018
Well i wasn't so far with my theory about the anime being a new route after the true ending of the VN, at the end it was indeed a new route with an alternative happy ending for Rinné/Kuon but without solving some main problems (for example: save the Never Island world by Killing Setsuna before meeting with Rinné) and only for people who readed the VN.
I'm sure a lot of people will say "the anime is shit" but in fact it's good to explain certain things, so in my opinion it's necessary to see the anime and the VN as a whole to understand the plot.
Sep 16, 2018 9:07 AM

Feb 2008
Yes anime is new route thing cause conclusion were differently but I really want to see more Setsuna and Kuon (Rinné) in visual novel as well.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Sep 16, 2018 9:15 AM

Aug 2017
Kuon aka past Rinne get married with Setsuna. Rinne (daughter) accept it. They explain a bit about the past, present and the machine.

What can I say about Island? It suffers the same problems from a typical VN adaptation: bad pacing, plot holes, bad characterization and weak plot. The only thing that it is worth is the animation. 1.5 for the episode. 2/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 16, 2018 9:17 AM

Aug 2018
If you pay attention during the wedding scenes, behind the tree on the right there is Sara, the one from the past with big oppai.
Now wtf is going on, is just an easter egg or something else?
Sep 16, 2018 9:46 AM
Mar 2017
Well i already see that coming when they opened up the never island arc and i already knew that machine isnt time travel instead it's time stopped machine or time loopers machine which is the real plot twist of this anime story so far it is a good anime i will give rating 8/10 for story as for the art of this anime is 9/10 and i really recommended this anime if you love mystery and love type anime genres.also i think when the never island arc show up the 3 family of urashima island is rebuilding the civilization on that island when that island was on the verge of conflicts on the never island arc.I think that's what happened there on that island they pretty much wrapped up the story more simple than the VN end I think.. hmm.
GraymanesSep 16, 2018 10:00 AM
Sep 16, 2018 10:00 AM

Apr 2018
How to make an anime without a real main female character? Make an anime adaptation of a VN!

It's really sad that during the entire series, Rinne long-haired was protrayed as the main female protagonist as both the opening and the ending are focused on her and almost 80% of the series too.

So... our "Setsuna" is from the the second to last reset!? The heck is he coming from!? Why nobody seems to remember he does not have any memories of the past since it was the future near a reset? We do not know WHEN he was born and how he took the name Setsuna. De heck
Sep 16, 2018 10:16 AM
Sep 2017
BestJo said:
If you pay attention during the wedding scenes, behind the tree on the right there is Sara, the one from the past with big oppai.
LOL I had to rewatch the wedding scene to confirm of her appearance you do have a sharp eyes :P
Sep 16, 2018 10:39 AM

Apr 2012
So, MC suddenly turned from the master of the harem into the father of one of the heroines. LOL. At least they avoided the "surprise incest" trope in favor of an easier happy ending.

Well, I will not say that I didn't like this show, but it seemed to me rather complicated and poor. Maybe this show is better to watch at a time, I don't know. At the same time, I really liked the work of seiyu and nostalgic visual novel vibes.

6/10.

Sep 16, 2018 10:42 AM

Mar 2017
Ok. Too much information to take in. But they handled the explanation fairly. That plot twist was unpredictable (for anime only viewers). Ending was fine. Might have been slow when it started airing, but the pacing got better. Nice episode.
Sep 16, 2018 10:52 AM

Mar 2012
I agree with what has been said here.
Bad pacing, bad storytelling and trying to build Kuon/NI Rinne's character in the last episode is a big failure.

The world time reset is even more stupid that an infinite loophole and the MC escaping from it by speedrunning all his past experiences.

But the only thing I can't understand is, why they ended the "time machine"? They are finally together and they daughter is happy, so who is going to use that machine? They didn't even make room for two.
At first, I have to admit, I thought she was going to finish it so she could sleep until Setsuna aged as much as her.
Waifus only represent ideals
Sep 16, 2018 10:55 AM
Nov 2017
BestJo said:

I know this might sound insane but what if they added her as another route and the little one is Setsunas daughter on that route bc there hair colors for big and little Sara arent the same.
Also bc of hearing that there was a chance they wouldn't have an ending bc of how the VN is I skipped like 2-2 episodes and just jumped from 9 to 12 and I was actually OK with that ending lol
Sep 16, 2018 10:56 AM

Feb 2014
When you truly wish for that most precious moment of your life to be lived again, even time delivers it if you wait and hope. So the legendary SetsunaxRinne pair finally sync up after two retry at the world reset?
Damn that's some mind boggling plot. If they had just introduced the Never Island Arc as a memory then it would have been all perfect but still having twice the reset seems good enough to empower enough feelings, it still leaves big plotholes with the age gap between the two (when they both had twice reset?) while discarding the time leap machine theory.
dasprnSep 16, 2018 11:02 AM
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Sep 16, 2018 11:04 AM

Jul 2015
We were THIS close to invest.

Sep 16, 2018 11:08 AM

Aug 2018
can someone explain me the ending pls? lol
i didnt understand the thing of world reset and where setsuna is from.
and if never island is the past or the future and how kuon (rinne) used the time machine and why she was there befoe setsuna
Sep 16, 2018 11:16 AM

Sep 2008
That was one hell of a story. Too bad they crammed it all into 12 episodes and ruined it. This could've been a big hit with 24 episodes. I can't even hate this anime since I was still thoroughly absorbed the whole time despite all the problems.

EDIT: Apparently the visual novel has the same plot holes as the anime. This story is missing the beginning and ending so there isn't really any way to make sense of it. We don't know where/when/how Setsuna (protagonist) was born and we don't know what happens after this anime ends now that Setsuna and Rinne are presumably working on a way to save the world from becoming another winter island. We also don't know why the world resets and plays out exactly the same way every time. Either the VN developers were lazy or they planned to make a sequel that explains these things.

EDIT2: Nevermind, some of these things ARE explained in the visual novel. See the post further down.
5layerSep 16, 2018 1:55 PM
Sep 16, 2018 11:29 AM

Sep 2018
Well it was an okay series I guess There are still many questions and plot holes but this is what you get when messing with time and also what do you except from an anime
In this episode it felt like they just rushed things like they always did it would have been better if they took more time explaining things but anyways the ending was quite unexceptable
A solid 6 anime in my opinion
Sep 16, 2018 11:38 AM
Jun 2015
I second what someone up there said. Can someone please put a consise explanation of the series? I think I understand most of it but the world reset thing threw me for a loop.

The other thing I’m not getting was who is that other Setsuna that MC Setsuna found on the other island? They never resolved that did they?
Sep 16, 2018 11:43 AM

Mar 2012
SailorJenny95 said:
I second what someone up there said. Can someone please put a consise explanation of the series? I think I understand most of it but the world reset thing threw me for a loop.

The other thing I’m not getting was who is that other Setsuna that MC Setsuna found on the other island? They never resolved that did they?

They literally resolved it in this chapter.
Setsuna (edit: the dead one) is the son of Rinne's adoptive father and his woman.

It appears that it was shameful giving birth to a man in one of the three families so they tried to hide him.
At the same time, since the real Kuon became infertile they forced NI Rinne to give her daughter (Setsuna's daughter/I Rinne) to them so they could say they had a daughter.

Ironically, the one thing Rinne asked (please name her after me) was supposed to be a tradiction in the three families so... wasted oportunity NI Rinne to ask for a raise.
Waifus only represent ideals
Sep 16, 2018 12:06 PM

Mar 2012
Why did the other Setsuna look nearly identical? Were they trying to throw us through a loop of guessing how he got there?
Sep 16, 2018 12:06 PM

Apr 2016
The biggest disappointment of the season.
Sep 16, 2018 12:07 PM

Mar 2012
dasprn said:
When you truly wish for that most precious moment of your life to be lived again, even time delivers it if you wait and hope. So the legendary SetsunaxRinne pair finally sync up after two retry at the world reset?
Damn that's some mind boggling plot. If they had just introduced the Never Island Arc as a memory then it would have been all perfect but still having twice the reset seems good enough to empower enough feelings, it still leaves big plotholes with the age gap between the two (when they both had twice reset?) while discarding the time leap machine theory.
the time travel shenanigans made this way harder to follow. Perhaps due to poor writing, but it was pretty difficult to completely follow. At least for me.
Sep 16, 2018 12:08 PM
Jun 2015
CorbanEsp said:
SailorJenny95 said:

They literally resolved it in this chapter.
Setsuna (edit: the dead one) is the son of Rinne's adoptive father and his woman.

It appears that it was shameful giving birth to a man in one of the three families so they tried to hide him.
At the same time, since the real Kuon became infertile they forced NI Rinne to give her daughter (Setsuna's daughter/I Rinne) to them so they could say they had a daughter.

Ironically, the one thing Rinne asked (please name her after me) was supposed to be a tradiction in the three families so... wasted oportunity NI Rinne to ask for a raise.

Thank you! I got the thing with Kuon. They just didn’t do the best job at explaining that the boy was the dead Setsuna.
Sep 16, 2018 12:15 PM

Apr 2015
So Kuon was Rinne after all (was quite obvious after last weeks episode). To think Setsuna almost had a relationship with his own daughter is quite the mind fuck. The wedding at the end was nice.

So the series finally wraps it all up and I have to say, I am glad it ended. Overall it was very confusing at the beginning with the whole time traveling aspect. I just had no idea what was going on. The last few episodes really cleared it up but in the end the damage was already done. Confusing story, pacing could have been better.

Animation and soundtrack was pretty good imo.

5/10
Sep 16, 2018 12:17 PM

Feb 2005
Uh. I mean, we know history is cyclical, but somehow human civilization gets nearly wiped out by an ice age, then proceeds to repeat itself more or less identically? I guess this might've been an attempt at a gotcha-moment since everyone thought there was actual time travel involved rather than just some kind of magically convenient cryostasis, but either way it comes off pretty silly.
Sep 16, 2018 12:20 PM

Jan 2013
So, a cheap time reset with nothing important really explained.

...just as Erased, to be honest.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Sep 16, 2018 12:21 PM

Mar 2008
So there was no time travel and history repeated itself. Oh well, don't care. At least we got a happy ending with Setsuna and Kuon(Rinne) getting married.
Sep 16, 2018 12:49 PM

Aug 2018
BestJo said:

I need an answerrr
Sep 16, 2018 1:09 PM
Oct 2012
BestJo said:
BestJo said:

I need an answerrr

The answer is in the visual novel it has not been shown in the anime if you still want to know
Sep 16, 2018 1:23 PM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
BestJo said:
BestJo said:

I need an answerrr

It´s Sarah Garlando´s mother Maria Garlando (code name: Arima Uran). She survived the fire on the old shrine.

5layer said:

EDIT: Apparently the visual novel has the same plot holes as the anime. This story is missing the beginning and ending so there isn't really any way to make sense of it. We don't know where/when/how Setsuna (protagonist) was born and we don't know what happens after this anime ends now that Setsuna and Rinne are presumably working on a way to save the world from becoming another winter island. We also don't know why the world resets and plays out exactly the same way every time. Either the VN developers were lazy or they planned to make a sequel that explains these things.

The visual novel explains the origins of Setsuna (where/when/how), Setsuna was not trying to rescue Island, but Never Island. The visual novel also explains why the world resets. Read on your own risk these spoilers or additional informations
CyanwasserstoffSep 16, 2018 1:53 PM
Sep 16, 2018 1:30 PM

Jul 2015
Man that was totally a buzz kill! there was no time travel and the whole thing was on a single timeline?

Such a Time we wasted thinking about timelines, loops or even "enter-connect hybrid loops" to explain the story. (yea that's actually a thing!)

To be short, gonna give it 8/10 just to compensate some of you guy's generous ratings because generally the show wasn't that bad. I just kind of sad that we didn't get any explanation about the story as whole.

John_MaxSep 16, 2018 1:34 PM
Sep 16, 2018 1:31 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
"I am your father"

HECK YEAH
I was waiting for this last episode

The idea of the world resetting makes me want a sequel which solves this problem even though it's as legitimate as it's going to get. (Look at the Incas, Mayas, Azteks, etc)
I hope this visual novel gets a release on a platform I own (as I'm unable to get Steam to work)
Sep 16, 2018 1:47 PM

Feb 2018
sad for my waifu rinne tf!
setsuna should just make it harem rip
still a good ending tho but poor rinne ;_;
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 16, 2018 1:51 PM

Sep 2008
Cyanwasserstoff said:
5layer said:

The visual novel explains the origins of Setsuna (where/when/how), Setsuna was not trying to rescue Island, but Never Island. The visual novel also explains why the world resets. Read on your own risk these spoilers or additional informations

Thanks for clearing that up. I must have come across some misinformation from people who didn't fully complete the VN. It's a shame this anime adaptation totally botched it.
Sep 16, 2018 2:01 PM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
5layer said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I must have come across some misinformation from people who didn't fully complete the VN. It's a shame this anime adaptation totally botched it.

If you have any question about the original story of the Visual Novel Island, I will try to answer them.

The anime adaption did change a lot, left many things out and also changed the true ending.

I did enjoy the anime, too (maybe because I read the Visual Novel before). I do consider the anime as alternative world/parallel world to the world of the Visual Novel Island.
Sep 16, 2018 2:11 PM

Feb 2014
Well, the show has now come to an end and it certainly has been an interesting ride.

The final episode did end on a strong note with the slightly unexpected plot twist about the time travel theory being blown apart here. Plus, the reunion between Setsuna and NI Rinne was sweet.

That, along with the consistently strong animation and soundtrack from feel, made the show pretty fun, but thanks to the confusing story and pacing all over the place at times, it felt like the show wasted its potential.

I'll be generous by giving it a 6/10. I still like it, but it still could've been better. =/
Sep 16, 2018 2:29 PM

Jul 2014
I must say, it was a very satisfying ending, but I would have liked NI to be longer to see more of the relationship between Setsuna and future Rinne, because I like them as a couple and I'm glad they had a happy ending but we saw very little of that Rinne compared to the present one which we followed most of the series, so that this one got the worst part it kind of sucked.

Overall, the series felt rushed, especially the NI arc, and there's a lot of things I'd like to have answered, but it always knew how to keep me entertained with pretty likable characters and an interesting plot.

Now, if the machine is not a time machine but only serves to sleep, how is it that Setsuna and Rinne appear automatically and do not have to be awakened?

What happened to the present Setsuna, who according to the flashback is the true son of the Oharas? Why from one of the books fell a piece of paper that said he had to die? Why wasn't he living in the house?

What about the cave? Who built all that? When? Because it works in the past when Rinne sleeps 5 years and is still active when the protagonists leave NI in the future.

Also, in which machine does Kuon sleep? In the one where Setsuna woke up? How does it still work?

And finally, what is the age difference between Setsuna and Kuon in the present, Kuon must have 37 but Setsuna? :P
SkyLETVJan 27, 2019 11:47 PM
Sep 16, 2018 2:38 PM
Jun 2016
I had wondered about his otherself too, but figured it was one of thsoe handy wavey things that we see in so many anime and shows like 7 days, that some how when you travel back in time your older self no longer exists or something :> Nice final twist hehe.
Sep 16, 2018 2:48 PM

Jul 2014
I was perfectly happy with the emotional core of this finale - the relationship between Rinne and Setsuna has been the driving force of the show, and revealing Kuon as the Never Island Rinne and having them reconcile was a fine emotional conclusion - but the whole thing about it not being time travel but more cryostasis really threw me for a loop. Looking at it in terms of the events of the narrative, it largely makes sense and explains quite a few niggling questions I had, but even ignoring the insane implausibility of the world resetting and repeating in such perfect fashion, this also raised more questions than it answered, not least of which being the role of the other Setsuna who died on the deserted island off of Urashima.

On the whole, this show was decent enough but made a few questionable decisions along the way that unfortunately hinder it quite significantly. 6/10
Sep 16, 2018 2:49 PM
Jul 2018
every new episode i got more confused and never truly understood what was happening in this show. i still have that kind of feeling even after the ending. i dont know if it was just a terrible show at explaining things, or did i simply forgot details cause i was leaving this show for a few weeks, then coming back, then leaving again. but i somehow actually finished it. the best part of the show was the soundtrack. the ending song is beautiful. in the end, its 4/10 from me.
Sep 16, 2018 3:28 PM

Dec 2013
As confusing as the show was overall, I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Even after reading the VN ending and comparing it with what we got here.
Whilst the science-mixed-with-lore of it all was a bit convoluted, it's not like we haven't seen other types of time travelling mechanisms before (and some of them even worse explained than this one).

Enjoyed the journey well enough, and love both OP and ED songs quite a bit.

HESTIAAPPROVES
Sep 16, 2018 3:41 PM

Jun 2017
I didn't play the game but I liked this ending, the show needed quite lots of episodes to get going but it was worth the wait in the end.
Sep 16, 2018 3:49 PM
Jun 2015
this also raised more questions than it answered, not least of which being the role of the other Setsuna who died on the deserted island off of Urashima.

From what someone told me above. The other Setsuna who died on that other island is the son of those people. They banished him there. I guess he lived for awhile so that daughter Rinne could meet him but he eventually died there. That's what I got from it at least.
Sep 16, 2018 4:40 PM

Jan 2015
I do not believe this show earned this ending... Its plot was too hastily handled and paced, and spent too much time playing with ideas and concepts that attempted to build up a mystery which was altogether irrelevant to the actual endgame story. Or, at the very least, it was so compressed due to a lack of the necessary time to actually develop any of it, that it fell utterly flat, to me, in the end. And that’s just too bad.
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Sep 16, 2018 5:22 PM

Nov 2016
I have mixed feelings regarding this show. At times it was bland and hard to stay focussed, but there were also many charming moments and some interesting aspects to the story, nice music too. And eventually a satisfying conclusion, guess that's enough to remember this as a rather nice anime.

5/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Island Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2018

81 by Miki42 »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:14 AM

Poll: » Island Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2018

67 by Miki42 »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:13 AM

Poll: » Island Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2018

85 by Miki42 »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:12 AM

Poll: » Island Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2018

51 by Miki42 »»
Dec 1, 2023 1:27 PM

Poll: » Island Episode 4 Discussion

Tarotist - Aug 12, 2018

8 by Miki42 »»
Nov 28, 2023 11:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.