Forum Settings
Forums

[Update 11/10] Final Features Restored & API Development Update

New
Pages (12) « First ... « 10 11 [12]
Apr 19, 2019 8:43 AM

Sep 2017
Canadane said:
I migrated everything over to AL. Been using MAL for so long it’s hard to let go. But sometimes you gotta keep with the times or be left behind.

Same. I'd gladly switch back if they at least had the API working, but they're also really strict on manga rules, so there are none of the great mangas/manhwas/webtoons out there, like Hardcore Leveling Warrior, The Gamer, or even Solo Leveling!
Zodiac1337 said:
Guess its time to switch over to AL or something. Its beyond me how something like this cant be fixed already. After 7~ months of scuffed anime list and no pictures its finally time to say goodbye. If they cant fix it now, they wont fix it anytime soon anyway.
May 2, 2019 5:53 PM
???

May 2014
DooMWhite said:
Protip: I'm using Taiga to update my kitsu list that automatically updates my MAL list, the only problem is when you are rewatching.

Wait a minute that is possible? Damn, I better start doing that then. I have been using AL then I manually update everything in MAL. If Kitsu can do that then that is 10x easier lol.

" a scattered dream that's like a far-off memory. a far-off memory that's like a scattered dream. i want to line the pieces up--yours and mine. "

May 2, 2019 10:49 PM

Jul 2016
RPGPiixel said:
DooMWhite said:
Protip: I'm using Taiga to update my kitsu list that automatically updates my MAL list, the only problem is when you are rewatching.

Wait a minute that is possible? Damn, I better start doing that then. I have been using AL then I manually update everything in MAL. If Kitsu can do that then that is 10x easier lol.

I've been using it since December of last year, I was checking some of kitsu's settings and realized I could do that.

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

May 5, 2019 2:50 PM

Jul 2008
Hyoretsu said:
Canadane said:
I migrated everything over to AL. Been using MAL for so long it’s hard to let go. But sometimes you gotta keep with the times or be left behind.

Same. I'd gladly switch back if they at least had the API working, but they're also really strict on manga rules, so there are none of the great mangas/manhwas/webtoons out there, like Hardcore Leveling Warrior, The Gamer, or even Solo Leveling!
Zodiac1337 said:
Guess its time to switch over to AL or something. Its beyond me how something like this cant be fixed already. After 7~ months of scuffed anime list and no pictures its finally time to say goodbye. If they cant fix it now, they wont fix it anytime soon anyway.

This is the reason I didn't switch to AniList years ago, because random Western shit is allowed. This appears to be manwha, though. I'm fine with that, South Korea and China are the new Japan anyway. I can't find garbage like The Last Airbender and RWBY in their database anymore either.

No pathetic clickbait articles either and a dislike option on reviews. And the search option seems to somewhat function putting the series' new season on the first spot if you search for "JoJo Golden" instead of the 4th spot. Is this the same site I'm thinking of from a few years ago? If I have the time and start watching anime regularly again I'll switch over.

May 10, 2019 4:18 PM

Mar 2017
After looking around for some help info on the API, I wound up here. Half a year with no update on an API? That's far too long to go without saying something, anything.
A møøse once bit my sister...
May 13, 2019 6:31 AM

Nov 2009
The site has been going down on a regular basis recently. The bad part is that MAL never announce anything about it, haven't found anything on neither the site or social media but they'll continue to post other things whilst the site is down. What's so difficult about letting people know if you're planning maintenance for example? I feel since this is an ongoing issue that the lack of transparency is disrespectful to users so after near a decade I'm going elsewhere and doubt I'm the only one.
May 13, 2019 3:07 PM

Dec 2014
Just got the Kitsu App on my phone and I must say that it looks pretty cool! The sync function with MAL also makes it worth to download while we wait for MAL's API to get back up.
May 17, 2019 2:02 PM

Mar 2015
SaturnSkye said:
The site has been going down on a regular basis recently. The bad part is that MAL never announce anything about it, haven't found anything on neither the site or social media but they'll continue to post other things whilst the site is down. What's so difficult about letting people know if you're planning maintenance for example? I feel since this is an ongoing issue that the lack of transparency is disrespectful to users so after near a decade I'm going elsewhere and doubt I'm the only one.
You are absolutely right. Xinil needs to shed some light on whats going on here and be clear with it.
dont't watch that anime if you are going to give it 1* and cry 10000 words in review about it.
May 24, 2019 4:30 PM

Oct 2015
Today marks a year since the API went down. I've been keeping this as a Discord bot command since October 7th, just as a constant reminder.

trigger_segfaultMay 24, 2019 4:37 PM
May 26, 2019 11:19 AM
May 2013
trigger_segfault said:
Today marks a year since the API went down. I've been keeping this as a Discord bot command since October 7th, just as a constant reminder.

Wow 😱.... erm... I didn’t even notice it been that long 🤦🏼‍♂️
Have Great Day =)
Animekid3

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
May 29, 2019 11:33 AM

Apr 2016
Great, now even the official app stopped working right now. It logged off automatically and now I am unable to log in (server error).
May 29, 2019 6:10 PM

May 2016
axiel7 said:
Great, now even the official app stopped working right now. It logged off automatically and now I am unable to log in (server error).

I came here because of this. I've been trying all day to login again but to no avail. Am I going to have to use the mobile site again?!
Jun 1, 2019 11:45 AM
Dec 2013
If u guys wonder how I maintain my MAL list, here my tips.

use AniList, and use http://taiga.moe/ apps to update your animelist

1. export your list from MAL and import to AniList.
MAL: https://myanimelist.net/panel.php?go=export
AniList: https://anilist.co/settings/import
2. set your Taiga sync service to AniList. (Setting->Service->Main)
3. watch you fav anime and let Taiga update your list.
4. click Sync botton on your Taiga.

keep your MAL uptodate:

1. Install a userscript manager (choose one from this list https://greasyfork.org/en)
2. Install the script here https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/373467-douki
3. Visit the import page on Myanimelist.net. You need to be logged in to MAL. (https://myanimelist.net/import.php)
4. Alternatively, a link to the import page is added to the List dropdown at the top of the main page
5. Make sure the date format matches your setting on MAL (US or Euro).
6. Fill in your Anilist username and hit Import
Jun 3, 2019 4:01 PM
Dec 2015
or another thing for MAL is: navigate with HTML element...
he take a moment to check each html element, but at the end you have what you want, without need API
Jun 10, 2019 1:47 AM

Jun 2012
It's been more than a year and still nothing.

I moved to AniList ages ago, Taiga supports it and it's quick and clean.
Jun 10, 2019 9:30 AM
Dec 2010
CrimsonRuin said:
darkash said:

thinking back I wonder how I survived updating MAL by hand back then in 2010-2012

??? I mean it's not that tedious. Takes all of 5s update/add anime.

MAL back then and now is different, it used to takes ages just to add anime, no episode increment in your anime list, no instant add anime on the list directly

Also I tend to prefer updating my list on daily basis, realtime if possible since I used MAL for reminding me at which episode I were at if I watched an ongoing series, whether I missed an eps last week, etc. Might not seems tedious for you, but yes it is for me, since I worked 12+ hr a day even on weekend and I watched anime during the night before I go off to bed to release my pent up stress.
Jun 14, 2019 4:08 AM
Trash

Jul 2015
Now fix the mobile app
Jun 15, 2019 10:50 PM
Jun 2015
the reason my MAL account is up to date when it was cool was because i was using an app called PocketMAL which is a free app that is fast and clean and lightweight too. now since the "we announce new terms&privacy" wave attacked the API and MAL users, i no longer could use MAL. i mean, i won't use the web to open it every time i watch an anime or read manga just to add an episode that i already watched. also, sometimes when i already finished a season, i was just too tired to do every single thing i read/watch to my profile. it's too much of a hassle. yeah, call me lazy or something. it doesn't change the fact that accessing my MAL list never been as easy and as good as before
Jun 19, 2019 5:17 PM
Jan 2014
Digoligo said:
is there any reports on the API?
Digoligo said:
is there any reports on the API?
Sadly no
Jun 20, 2019 12:16 AM
Jun 2019
Can i get a username change to Andrecama
Jun 20, 2019 10:45 PM
May 2014
Crisscama212005 said:
Can i get a username change to Andrecama

You can change it yourself in the account settings.
Jun 21, 2019 8:29 AM

Jan 2013
I can't wait for November when people visit this thread thinking the 11/10 update is recent when it's a year old and we didn't get any updates in that time.
Jun 21, 2019 10:16 AM
Sep 2017
pureevil4 said:
I can't wait for November when people visit this thread thinking the 11/10 update is recent when it's a year old and we didn't get any updates in that time.

Or October for non-americans
Jun 27, 2019 12:52 AM

May 2016
Once again the mobile app doesn't work. Are they ever going to fix anything here?
Jun 30, 2019 8:32 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Man, how long are we going to wait for?
Jul 1, 2019 7:58 AM

Jul 2017
oh look it's the 1st of July 2019 and MyAnimeList is still ignoring this API issue, I heard the official MAL app stopped working, and what is MAL doing ? nothing of course as usual...
Jul 2, 2019 10:06 PM
Dec 2010
CrimsonRuin said:
darkash said:

thinking back I wonder how I survived updating MAL by hand back then in 2010-2012

??? I mean it's not that tedious. Takes all of 5s update/add anime.

right, do it daily/weekly and see how many minutes you need to update all your list
with API you can set it to hook your media player/stream site and it can be reflected immediately without wasting your time

also internet back on that time is not as fast as it is now, especially since on my city which is like it's inside a third world country back then, it took me 2 hours just to update my list weekly/monthly
Jul 4, 2019 1:56 PM

Nov 2014
For me this thing a "race"... I would've left this site ages ago if other lists would have the one thing, that not even MAL has but it still exists... Malgraph.

So I wonder which site will get his shit together in this century MAL, Anilist or some other site.
Jul 10, 2019 1:06 PM
Aug 2017
Delenai said:
For me this thing a "race"... I would've left this site ages ago if other lists would have the one thing, that not even MAL has but it still exists... Malgraph.

So I wonder which site will get his shit together in this century MAL, Anilist or some other site.

Ani list just added some new stats stuff built in it's pretty good.
Jul 10, 2019 3:55 PM

Nov 2014
Keiggard said:

Thanks for the heads up, I will check it out later, at the moment it doesn't work for me yet for some reason.

I hope it has the missed related titles, that is the most important thing for me, especially since I lose a lot of titles with transferring, that might be under a different name or they just count OVAs and stuff differently.
Jul 10, 2019 4:56 PM
Aug 2017
Delenai said:
Keiggard said:

Thanks for the heads up, I will check it out later, at the moment it doesn't work for me yet for some reason.

I hope it has the missed related titles, that is the most important thing for me, especially since I lose a lot of titles with transferring, that might be under a different name or they just count OVAs and stuff differently.

you might have to go into your profile settings > list and manually update stats
Jul 10, 2019 8:11 PM

Nov 2009
Are you kidding me MAL? Almost 2 fucking years and the API is still in development with no ETA.
Get your priority straight, I don't care about your stores, I don't care about your add-on anime streaming or whatever the hell you want to add, I just want functional APIs because it's the sole reason for me to use MAL over everything else. Glad that I moved to anilist. MAL is a lost cause.
Jul 11, 2019 5:58 AM

Nov 2014
Keiggard said:

you might have to go into your profile settings > list and manually update stats

Ye, its working now thanks. I see they imported everything from malgraph except the 1 thing that I wanted :/
Jul 12, 2019 1:47 AM

Sep 2007
Takana_no_Hana said:
Are you kidding me MAL? Almost 2 fucking years and the API is still in development with no ETA.
Get your priority straight, I don't care about your stores, I don't care about your add-on anime streaming or whatever the hell you want to add, I just want functional APIs because it's the sole reason for me to use MAL over everything else. Glad that I moved to anilist. MAL is a lost cause.

There is going to be an update/announcement regarding the API later this month (July 2019). https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1789886
Jul 13, 2019 3:41 AM
May 2013
DarkShame2 said:
Takana_no_Hana said:

There is going to be an update/announcement regarding the API later this month (July 2019). https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1789886

Seen it... I see 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Have Great Day =)
Animekid3

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jul 16, 2019 9:56 AM
Aug 2017
The announcement will be that they will have another announcement addressing the concerns at a later date to be determined.
Jul 16, 2019 12:13 PM

Jan 2013
The update will be that they will begin work on the API with biweekly updates on the status of that work promised. This will soon give way to no updates at all, and then eight months later the process will start over again.
Aug 21, 2019 11:31 PM
Jan 2014
Press F for the API
Sep 8, 2019 11:23 AM
Jan 2014
And the announcement was? :D
Sep 14, 2019 6:50 PM
Dec 2011
Okay is the App still down? Because I have been having problems logging in the last few days and it made me so frustrated that I wanted to throw my phone today. (I didn't throw it but the feeling was there)

I know it has been down for a hot minute so if it is still down this is ridiculous. I know ever since you shut down that 3rd party app and went about making your own at first I was excited but then I have had problem after problem with it and now it's been down forever!

What's going on????? Is it ever coming back period? Any time soon?!

Update: I found this new app called Kitsu and I'm going to try it out. It's even letting me download all my MAL list to it.
I have been with MAL fooooooorrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeevvvvvveeeeerrrrrrr so it sucks to go and support something else. However this long wait time is way to inconvenient at this point. Maybe if you guys get everything back up and running I will come back but until then I need something that functions.
alliharunoSep 14, 2019 6:59 PM
Sep 17, 2019 12:07 PM

Jun 2013
phantasia said:
And the announcement was? :D
alliharuno said:
Okay is the App still down? [...]

For those who wonder : the announcement is here.
Nov 1, 2019 7:09 PM
Oct 2019
I am a professional programmer and was curious if there was room to assist on API development. Please reach out and let me know - jirving0311@gmail.com
Dec 7, 2019 3:48 AM

May 2016
Hey dudes, PocketMAL is back! You can join the beta-testing right away. Details in the Discord server.

https://discord.gg/8QRHdUP
Jan 21, 2020 6:45 AM
Dec 2013
If you are urgent to bring your MAL client apps back, you can use MAL API from their android apps.

https://gist.github.com/suabahasa/1421d1db33a940dba7083f6e5277efcc
Oct 17, 2023 10:35 PM
Oct 2023
I don't have a good feeling about these changes and how this whole site went down then came back up in a crippled state. Speaks of internal conflict during what were obviously administrative changes. I will discontinue the service. There are others. Thanks for the good times.
Jan 12, 9:01 PM
Jan 2024
Reply to Zadion
Lindholmaren said:
>MAL catering to the pure seasonal anime watcher garbage and killing off a futureproofing feature used mostly for older or unlocalized shows in the absence of "real" subs just to cozy up to CR a tiny bit closer.
Fot a while I actually believed that ~all~ features were going to be returned, you sure got me haha.

I love how in 5 years as a user here, the only post you've ever made is this post.
@Zadion love it..
NCED Cloud
Ruby67Jan 24, 3:22 AM
Pages (12) « First ... « 10 11 [12]

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by mushfik002 »»
4 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

422 by Hayukoo »»
Yesterday, 8:30 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3332 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.