Dear Users,

Thank you for using MyAnimeList.

The final features have been restored:

・My Signature
・Database User Submissions
・About Pages
・Tutorials
・Remaining RSS Feeds

As part of ongoing efforts to support the anime and manga industry, the Fansub Group section of the site has been removed.

We are currently working a new terms of use for third party application developers. Also, we have mostly finished reviewing all the tasks necessary for completing development. We are planning to start work on the remaining development some time next week.

Click here to read a list of all previous announcements.

Updated September 28th (by MyAnimeListLLC)
API Development Update 1

Updated October 15th (by Xinil)
API Development Update 2

Thank you for your patience, understanding and continued support of MyAnimeList.

I would like to know as I had tried out the MAL Updater and I get an error message, what do I have to do so that it works?

I keep reading API, in some of the replies, is that something similar to MAL Updater or is it something else, as I would like to have my MAL Updater running, despite that I had to change my password a couple of times.
Oct 26, 2018 6:03 PM
Jun 2013
DemonCoach said:
The API is what makes all the third party programs connect with MAL. Until the API is fixed, no Taiga/MAL Updater/etc.

Thanks for that reply, as I have just tried my MAL Updater and got a bunch of error message.
Oct 26, 2018 8:09 PM
May 2015
Swagernator said:
Lunilah said:
What is so bad about fansubs?

MAL needs to pretend that fansub groups are not a good thing for anime industry.
lollol
Oct 26, 2018 9:11 PM

Aug 2007
Zephyrast said:
Is there any way to see the fansub votes and comments I left?

At they very least I'd like to be able to access that information so I can post it somewhere else. I left dozens and dozens of reviews for the subs of various anime and will be pretty ticked if all that was deleted without any warning.

Not like it matters since there was no fansub comment section to easily find them like forum posts.
Oct 27, 2018 7:14 AM

May 2008
The fansub section needs to come back.
where can i find old (early 90's and older) unlicensed anime with good subs if MAL decide to remove it for good? :c
Psyche_IzayaOct 27, 2018 7:30 AM
Oct 27, 2018 7:44 AM

Feb 2018
Eh, what can I say on the matter. We all agree that it was a bad move. Until Aikatsu!, PriPara, PreCure, Battle Spirits, Jewelpet, and many others get official releases then I'm against the "anime industry".
Watch Jewelpet Twinkle
Oct 28, 2018 4:50 PM

Feb 2010
Psyche_Izaya said:
where can i find old (early 90's and older) unlicensed anime with good subs if MAL decide to remove it for good? :c

So I don't know much about this, but I want to help if I can, and I think someone mentioned aniDB as the last place to get this kinda info? Can anyone confirm if that's true? O_o

https://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=main

Oct 28, 2018 5:19 PM
Manga DB Admin
Aug 2012
Shishio-kun said:
Psyche_Izaya said:

So I don't know much about this, but I want to help if I can, and I think someone mentioned aniDB as the last place to get this kinda info? Can anyone confirm if that's true? O_o

I wouldn't call it the last place since you can still use a userscript to bring the old fansub comments back here. But yes, AniDB has good info about fansub groups.
Oct 29, 2018 3:53 AM
Nov 2017
Well, I was able to update my BnHA and add Goblin Slayer & Fairy Tail 2018 with the side-bar stuff right beneath the cover-art pics, but the horizontal display selection (sandwiched between MAL's rating and those of Kitsu and AniDB) still doesn't work (at least not for me).

Meh, as long as I can update in some way, I'm happy. I don't know if the problem exists for anyone else or not though, so hopefully this info will be of value to anyone experiencing the same issue.
Oct 29, 2018 6:39 AM

Feb 2018
Jinbou said:

I wouldn't call it the last place since you can still use a userscript to bring the old fansub comments back here.

Wait, really?
Watch Jewelpet Twinkle
Oct 29, 2018 7:31 AM
Manga DB Admin
Aug 2012
DragonKnightGX said:
Jinbou said:

I wouldn't call it the last place since you can still use a userscript to bring the old fansub comments back here.

Wait, really?

Obviously it's read-only, but yeah. Google 'MAL bring fansubs back' or something, there was a popular reddit thread about it with a title like that back when the fansubs were removed.
Oct 29, 2018 7:53 AM
Oct 29, 2018 8:09 AM
Manga DB Admin
Aug 2012
@DragonKnightGX yep that's it.
Oct 29, 2018 2:05 PM

Feb 2010
Jinbou said:
Shishio-kun said:

I wouldn't call it the last place since you can still use a userscript to bring the old fansub comments back here. But yes, AniDB has good info about fansub groups.

Well thanks, good information for everyone!
Oct 30, 2018 4:17 PM
Apr 2016
Psyche_Izaya said:

Y'know, this is a really excellent point.

Also, the reason we even have an American anime industry is oldschool fansubs. I understand not wanting fansubs of partnered or licensed anime, we live in a culture of fear of litigation bullying.
Now turning to the industry: if the fan translation of an anime is superior to the licensed, it means the licensor really needs to compete by improving their translation, not by crushing the perceived opposition underfoot. I get that copyright is a thing, but the pushback against fan translation in general is circumferential self-injurious behavior. When a group is anticompetitive, they're really just hurting their own quality's checks and balances. For translation, that used to imply multiple groups making drafts, which meant higher quality TLs all around and a better spread for consumers.
Why can't we find a way home to that?
Edit: autocorrect hates me and I wanted to reword things
Beary64Oct 30, 2018 4:35 PM
Oct 31, 2018 7:16 AM

Jun 2013
Beary64 said:
Psyche_Izaya said:

Y'know, this is a really excellent point.

Also, the reason we even have an American anime industry is oldschool fansubs. I understand not wanting fansubs of partnered or licensed anime, we live in a culture of fear of litigation bullying.
Now turning to the industry: if the fan translation of an anime is superior to the licensed, it means the licensor really needs to compete by improving their translation, not by crushing the perceived opposition underfoot. I get that copyright is a thing, but the pushback against fan translation in general is circumferential self-injurious behavior. When a group is anticompetitive, they're really just hurting their own quality's checks and balances. For translation, that used to imply multiple groups making drafts, which meant higher quality TLs all around and a better spread for consumers.
Why can't we find a way home to that?
Edit: autocorrect hates me and I wanted to reword things

I suppose the reason is that rights to sub one anime are given to only one company.
I don't know if it is legally possible to give the rights to multiple companies, but at least this is not done (and even if, there aren't enough companies subbing anime to have competition).
This create a monopolistic situation where the company does not need to write good subs to sell their product, they only need to do the minimal job (and attack their only competitor: the fansubs).

Maybe this is why fansubs have better subs: they are competiting with each other and thus need to have the best translation.
Oct 31, 2018 5:21 PM

Aug 2010
Lmao fansub info gone?

Guess I'm never coming back.
Oct 31, 2018 8:41 PM
Oct 2018
Shishio-kun said:
Unfortunately, the site won't be truly normal until we get the API and third-party aps working again.

A lot of the community uses these and those members became inactive, understandably frustrated, or left. Without them MAL isn't the same, as a big part of the site is the community (more so than many other sites).

you can use mobile api https://gist.github.com/suabahasa/61754f37a24026224f7af14766aa85c1
Oct 31, 2018 9:30 PM
Apr 2017
I don't really care about removing the fansubs from new shows, but seeing the old subs on old anime removed feels like part of the history of MAL and the anime community as a whole was just erased off this site. Most of those fansub groups don't even make fansubs anymore and it was always nostalgic to look back on that stuff. At least for me.

Dude, seriously... This is pretty upsetting. Just yesterday I was comparing the fansubs for Bakemonogatari using MAL. It's really sad to think all those comments I read and votes I saw are gone now.
Nov 1, 2018 2:55 PM

Nov 2014
I can't believe they actually got rid of the fansubs that's pretty much only reason I came back.

Nov 4, 2018 5:42 AM
May 2013
Thanks for update... as I’m like need api to be back soon.... as at moment having to used my iPad (iMAL) which does work with mal for me update it, if i’m not on the pc..... but can’t use it on my mobile (Pocket MAL) as app over there got issue with api ... yeah... bummer.... but wait for update on api though 😎

Fansub group.... I never heard this, so I’m bit clueless on this of what it is about.... hmmmmm 🤔
Animekid3Nov 4, 2018 5:53 AM
Have Great Day =)
Animekid3

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Nov 7, 2018 6:26 PM

Jan 2013
Weren't we supposed to be getting these updates every other week? Not that I expected any real news...
Nov 7, 2018 7:50 PM

Feb 2010
pureevil4 said:
Weren't we supposed to be getting these updates every other week? Not that I expected any real news...

Yes, I believe its overdue. And I'm with you, I don't expect any real news until next year or so. However, updates are important for the community cuz it's nice to know there's no bad news for now! I appreciate hearing every two weeks that API is at least in the future because I keep expecting a "DENA scrapped the idea" announcement.
Nov 9, 2018 1:05 AM

May 2010
Fortnightly updates my foot, almost been a month now since the last.
Nov 10, 2018 1:44 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
The API is still being actively worked on, but I unfortunately have no new particular details to share in regards to its progress. It's a slow moving boulder at the moment.
Nov 10, 2018 1:58 PM

May 2013
Xinil said:
The API is still being actively worked on, but I unfortunately have no new particular details to share in regards to its progress

Slowly worked on, well hopefully it will be done b4 next year.

Nov 10, 2018 3:21 PM

Feb 2010
Xinil said:
The API is still being actively worked on, but I unfortunately have no new particular details to share in regards to its progress. It's a slow moving boulder at the moment.

Well at least it's still in progress.

After that, I hope you guys can work on some new site features to make MAL more fun and active! There's a lot of good suggestions in the forum :D
Nov 11, 2018 9:07 AM

Mar 2010
is importing manga going to be back?
Nov 12, 2018 12:23 AM
Feb 2016
Swagernator said:
Lunilah said:
What is so bad about fansubs?

MAL needs to pretend that fansub groups are not a good thing for anime industry.
Where's your signature image from?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 12, 2018 1:43 PM

Feb 2008
KalfKaneda said:
Xinil said:
The API is still being actively worked on, but I unfortunately have no new particular details to share in regards to its progress

Slowly worked on, well hopefully it will be done b4 next year.
you mean before 2020 because it won't be done before 2019 lol
Nov 15, 2018 10:30 PM

Feb 2010
AbdulrahmanHadz said:
Swagernator said:

Where's your signature image from?

It's from this pic, anime and character etc on the left

Nov 24, 2018 6:12 AM
Nov 2018
I made the update that dates from November 10 and sincerely I was expecting a REAL update, a REAL change. and for the fansub section I do not understand where is the problem?

________________________________________________________________________________________________
Minecraft Pocket Edition Google Play Services Counter-Strike
Toche9595Nov 29, 2018 12:30 PM
Nov 25, 2018 5:45 PM

Nov 2012
If we're getting rid of the fansubs section (Understandable!) a nice feature to have eventually would be more links to official websites. We have Crunchyroll, but it'd be great to also get HiDive, Netflix, etc if possible.
Nov 30, 2018 2:05 PM

Aug 2007
Netbug said:
If we're getting rid of the fansubs section (Understandable!) a nice feature to have eventually would be more links to official websites. We have Crunchyroll, but it'd be great to also get HiDive, Netflix, etc if possible.

Nobody wants useless clutter like that.
Nov 30, 2018 5:40 PM

Feb 2018
Netbug said:

Official websites ain't got kids anime, so bring back fansubs or bust.
Watch Jewelpet Twinkle
Dec 2, 2018 5:16 PM

Feb 2010
Where are you, Update-chan?
Dec 6, 2018 6:23 AM
Dec 2018
not sure my opinion matters or not.

but, well, if fansubs are those funny annotations i've seen on some sites then i don't find the reason given by MAL folks to get rid of fansubs valid.

fansubs could never replace or even compete with official subtitles. they are just two distinct things.
Dec 6, 2018 4:26 PM

Feb 2018
aslakahurani said:

but, well, if fansubs are those funny annotations i've seen on some sites then i don't find the reason given by MAL folks to get rid of fansubs valid.

fansubs could never replace or even compete with official subtitles. they are just two distinct things.

They're not actually. They're just like official subs, but made by fans. Doesn't mean the excuse for getting rid of them is valid, because the so-called "anime industry" can kiss my ass.
Watch Jewelpet Twinkle
Dec 7, 2018 4:46 AM
Dec 2018
DragonKnightGX said:
aslakahurani said:

They're not actually. They're just like official subs, but made by fans. Doesn't mean the excuse for getting rid of them is valid, because the so-called "anime industry" can kiss my ass.

okay, fine, to hell with fansub. i mean, i am not even sure why i cared about fansubs in the first place.
Dec 10, 2018 7:14 PM
Aug 2017
dear MAL

can you hide the 'SCORE' in every anime ? coz that score is 'SPOILER' to me

Thanks...
Dec 11, 2018 2:51 PM
Feb 2012
Still no API for MAL updater, "being worked on.."
Dec 11, 2018 5:42 PM

Feb 2010
O_O MAL admins please! With the API back I promise we can make the community stronger. You can count on us :D

I hope we're close D:

Shishio-kunDec 11, 2018 5:47 PM
Dec 12, 2018 9:24 PM

Jan 2013
Less-than-monthly updates confirmed? Even if it's "Absolutely no progress whatsoever.", I like regular updates.
Dec 13, 2018 4:25 AM
Jul 2018
Soooo, are they still working on the API or is it officially dead?

It's been months now, come on.
Dec 16, 2018 1:46 AM
Dec 2018
Dear MAL authority,
At least clearly tell us how often you are going to share updates regarding the API. At first, you said that it would be bi-weekly. Now it's not even monthly. We need anime-related or manga-related apps, sites, and services to be able to interact with MAL as soon as possible.
Dec 16, 2018 4:23 PM

Feb 2010
this is not lookin good boyos :(
Dec 17, 2018 11:42 PM
Dec 2013
Why all of u begging them for an API update? What I realize is, we will not get it until 2020.

Now I use MAL's official android app API for my own private tool.
https://gist.github.com/suabahasa/1421d1db33a940dba7083f6e5277efcc
Dec 19, 2018 7:32 AM

Jun 2013
Still waiting...
Dec 19, 2018 2:44 PM
Mar 2014
suabahasa said:
Why all of u begging them for an API update? What I realize is, we will not get it until 2020.

Now I use MAL's official android app API for my own private tool.
https://gist.github.com/suabahasa/1421d1db33a940dba7083f6e5277efcc

Can you make it work with Taiga? If u do, I will stop begging them.
Dec 21, 2018 1:14 PM

Feb 2010
@myanimelistllc
@xinil

Update for the holidays, please? :D
Pages (12) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by Shin_016 »»
9 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3332 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.