Forum Settings
Forums

"I think the show is a 5, but the score is 8.5 so I'm giving it a 2"

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 9, 2018 7:55 AM
Jul 2018
I don't really care about ratings that much, I just rate stuff out of personal enjoyment.
Sep 9, 2018 3:49 PM

Feb 2017
Considering the scores average out, I still tend to ignore animes under 7 unless it has genres I like

Sep 9, 2018 4:54 PM

Sep 2013
Unowen said:
Mickdrew said:
Important disclaimer:
There isn't any specific show I'm "salty" about, nor do I really care about MAL scores in general. I just think this mindset is childish and I want to call it out.
Call out what, exactly? Do you think you're the first to perceive this? Do you think you can stop it?

Of course the 80% of the comments of the thread recommend you to stop caring. It's because of people who cares about this stuff that it happens in the first place. People being annoyed by it, people who thinks can annoy others by doing this, and in general people who is not able to perceive how derisory their single vote is in the general rankings.

The purpose of this thread has been explained in detail to numerous people here. If you cannot be bothered to see them, then don't waste my time with your pointless questions.

I'm sorry, I must be misunderstanding your point. Caring and being annoyed is what's causing this? These people aren't trolls, so what you're saying makes no sense. I'm referring to people who pathetically try to feel validated by changing scores for anime on a website.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 9, 2018 4:56 PM

Sep 2013
OP said:
When original posters mean score is 7.

Another red herring.
I am not a seasonal anime watcher, so I don't take on a lot of shit that I then mark off as bad. I specifically watch anime that seem the best or peak my curiosity only. So by definition, the average ratings for these tend to be higher than the normal average for all anime in its entirety. Do you understand?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 9, 2018 5:46 PM

Dec 2017
so what do you think is the right score for a standard anime? I tend not to care about myanimelist ratings for anime that I haven't watched
Sep 9, 2018 5:56 PM
Jul 2018
Mickdrew said:
Bobby2Hands said:
It's weird that you think 7 is an average score.
Would you like me to change it to 5 then?

Everybody else will probably make the same irrelevant point that you have, so I might as well do it

The man who is talking bad about your mean score has .75 under your score for his mean.
6.25 which is pretty high too.

TF is he trash talking you for?
Sep 9, 2018 5:57 PM

Mar 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I just rate according to my own personal enjoyment.

Used to rate according to other metrics that took into account other people's opinions (or potential opinions), but realized that that was sorta stupid and vague and only ended up with me having to compromise between my own opinions and those of others. So I stopped caring what others thought.

That said:

Lisbon said:
I don't think I've ever seen anybody say it like that tbh

Noodzilla said:
nonsense
stop caring so much
for ratings,not healthy

Almost thought this was a haiku. So I made it into one.

nonsense. stop caring
so much for ratings, not heal-
thy. psyduck headache

Im rate same like you, when i see something its good i give a good score BTW i dont have any complete anime with 4 or less mean score because time is money friend and dont gonna waste it watching things i know not gonna at least enjoy...
Sep 9, 2018 6:05 PM

Apr 2014
Mickdrew said:

and it is not your responsibility to "bring balance to the universe"

That is where you wrong.
As a decent human being I have the responsibility to give balance to all things exist in this universe.
Sep 10, 2018 10:24 AM

Oct 2014
Bobby2Hands said:

Why is it weird? What's weird is that we have to vote on a 1 to 10 system. Do you think people have such a thorough personal rating system that they can tick and tack every bit of like and dislike enough to rate something properly instead of "Hey, I liked this." or "Eh, it was ok." or "Wow this was amazing". The answer no; no they cannot. Most people don't give a fuck. I am one of those people. I think a 1 to 5 system would be better so it's what I use (hence 7 is average to me, and 5 being the lowest.)
Sep 10, 2018 3:33 PM
Feb 2017
Can people please stop making threads like this. I don't think anyone actually does this anymore. People just use these kinds of threads to hate on people that happened to not like an anime that you like. It's become a trend in the anime community to just assume people rate things low because of the MAL rating. No one even cares about the MAL anime ratings.

Sep 10, 2018 7:42 PM
Dec 2014
Bobby2Hands said:

7 may not be average, but I find it understandable that averaging all the averages on MAL would result closer to 7 than 5. There may be people who watch and finish everything / nearly everything, but I would imagine that isn't quite feasible for many (if not most) of us.

That being the case, we would probably drop everything that isn't our genre, which is likely attract a lower than average score if scored.. but isn't. And as for the anime that are dropped for being awful, I do not think that everyone would agree on rating something that was prematurely dropped even if it starts out badly. As a result, at least some of the really bad score, which would help maintain an average of 5, is omitted, skewing the average.

DaCraziGuy said:
Also I don't get how some people with less than 100 animes on their list can say "this is one of the greatest show ever".
[...]
Btw not having a +0.5 option is a pain in the ass for me.

Well, not everyone keep their list up to date.. like yours truly. I joined the community to discuss anime, but I find the prospect of rating every anime I've watched since the 80's a bit too daunting.

The lack of +.5 is another reason that when I do give an anime a score, I like to do it the final episode's discussion as I can go into decimals. Though I think even with a .5, once you have seen hundreds of anime, you will inevitable end up with multiple anime with the same score that you might not consider equal from one another (the reason i think it would be a daunting excercise).

Of course in the grand scale of things the extra 0.5 or 5.0 from one poster isn't really going to affect the average in a noticeable manner. But I, at least would end up thinking too much about something that isn't really terribly important. TBH, while I take direct recommendations, I seldom look at reviews / ratings until *after* I finish the show. The down side is that sometime I miss good shows and only realise it years later. On the plus side, it isn't something I worry too much about.
Sep 10, 2018 7:51 PM

Sep 2013
HsiuqsYgnops said:
Can people please stop making threads like this.

No.

Also, you're wrong. People do this.
Sep 10, 2018 7:59 PM

Aug 2016
@justcaolan

The beautiful and stunning visuals, the characters that a lot of us relate to and got attached to easily, the intense, mind blowing and dramatic storyline that kept us anxious throughout most of the movie.

This is why we love Kimi no na wa.
Sep 10, 2018 8:08 PM

Aug 2018
AxBattler said:

DaCraziGuy said:
Also I don't get how some people with less than 100 animes on their list can say "this is one of the greatest show ever".
[...]
Btw not having a +0.5 option is a pain in the ass for me.

Well, not everyone keep their list up to date.. like yours truly. I joined the community to discuss anime, but I find the prospect of rating every anime I've watched since the 80's a bit too daunting.

The lack of +.5 is another reason that when I do give an anime a score, I like to do it the final episode's discussion as I can go into decimals. Though I think even with a .5, once you have seen hundreds of anime, you will inevitable end up with multiple anime with the same score that you might not consider equal from one another (the reason i think it would be a daunting excercise).

Of course in the grand scale of things the extra 0.5 or 5.0 from one poster isn't really going to affect the average in a noticeable manner. But I, at least would end up thinking too much about something that isn't really terribly important. TBH, while I take direct recommendations, I seldom look at reviews / ratings until *after* I finish the show. The down side is that sometime I miss good shows and only realise it years later. On the plus side, it isn't something I worry too much about.

Yeah, the 0.5 is a bit exaggerated and I made it look like it is a big thing, I get what you mean. My list is not completed, I left out of it some old shows that I don't remember much or that I'm going to rewatch. Also a lot of them don't even deserve to be named XD, generic romcom or harems. Having the list resulted to be more helpful than I though tho, it makes traking and rewatching shows a lot easier.

About the recommendations, I've watched a lot of animes so direct recommendations are pretty useless now. I check the recommendations from MAL(direct ones or from similar shows) and I try, depending of the genre, anything above 6 or 7. I check a couple of youtubers too and I pay atention to the random recommendations of somes pages. I still have plenty of shows that I plan to watch.
Sep 11, 2018 3:18 AM
Feb 2017
Mickdrew said:

I'd like to know who you think does this.

Sep 11, 2018 7:39 AM

Sep 2013
HsiuqsYgnops said:
Mickdrew said:

I'd like to know who you think does this.

Do you really think youre the first person in this thread to say all this? I won't repeat myself
Sep 13, 2018 10:17 PM

Sep 2013
shootinmage said:
This is the funniest shit I've read all day. You say you don't care about MAL scores yet your complaint only makes sense if you do. You say that this isn't for any particular show but the only reason why it would bother you is because somebody did exactly what you described to your favorite anime. It's like I'm reading a passive aggressive bitchface comment on Facebook about something venting their problems to the public because they're an attention whore instead of confronting the person and facing the problem head on.

Only just read this post while going through past replies.
You sir, are an idiot. You don't even understand why I made this thread, but feel like you know enough to judge my motives.
Also, who said I don't confront these people?
Sep 13, 2018 10:26 PM

Sep 2013
HsiuqsYgnops said:

I asked who you think does this. You don't need to answer the question because the answer is obvious.

I'm too lazy to find any more rn, so go do your own homework for the rest of this thread instead of asking me to do it:

Mickdrew said:

Usually you'll see it in reviews where the person will be saying how medoicre something is, or giving an impression that they just think it's okay. Then they'll note how way too many people think it's better than it is, and the final score will be waayyyy lower than their review seemed to imply. The picture you'd get from their opinions make it seem like they just don't really "get it", but their score makes it look like they hate it

This is just one example

CatSoul said:
People who dislike Gintama in a nutshell

Inukanura said:
well it be like that to be honest, if you see most of the top anime, the percentage of people who score it 1 is a slightly bigger 0.1-0.3 percent than people who score it 2. as if they try to drag down the mean score.

Mickdrew said:

Not even just on MAL. IMDB is another place where this shit happens

Happy_Sensei said:
Yes OP, I've seen it, someone would say X show is very average/mediocre and give it -4 score, the high amount of 1s and 2s on "overrated" shows is a good example too, though I can't tell if it's necessary a conscious decision or a subconscious one

Afloo said:
I think I have done Something Similar two times.
1st: I Don'tlike anythinf Yaoi so I rated YOI a 1. Maybe a little extreme and maybe I was a little bit salty but I still think it deserves it (Maybe bump it up to a 4 because of the Animation)

2nd: When Pingu was in the top 3, I Gave it a 1 to try bringing it down.

zal said:
it's rare but I think I remember seeing 1 or 2 users doing it (one was with Gintama) Although it happens the contrary too, people rating HxH, FMAB:B or Steins;Gate higher than what they think simply because of the community/peer pressure and the scores/reputations those anime have. It's sort of different faces from the same coin, some people try to align with the consensus where others go against it.

DarkwindJR said:
I definitely agree with your points. Although most people would argue that they haven't seen these kinds of people, I have seen them in a lot of anime. Ever since they appeared and the newbies who recently became elitists, I couldn't trust MAL scores anymore. Instead of bringing balance they've created even more chaos just like some wannabe Sithlord lmao

This is what I meant when I said I'm not going to repeat myself. If you bothered to look for an answer to your question, you'd see them everywhere. But you don't care because your mind is made up. You say it doesn't happen, so you won't even bother to look.
MickdrewSep 13, 2018 10:31 PM
Sep 13, 2018 10:28 PM

Oct 2017
It's usually the opposite from what I've seen, if people see that the average score for an Anime is an 8, then they will also give it an 8 and hop on the bandwagon.
Sep 13, 2018 10:29 PM

Oct 2013
I rate based only on enjoyment and I dont think about it too much. Well, because I'm not a critic and I enjoyed anime as it is since childhood.

If I'll take this so seriously, I think I'll lose sight of what anime is to me -- Thats the last thing I want to happen.
Sep 13, 2018 10:30 PM

Sep 2013
-SP- said:
It's usually the opposite from what I've seen, if people see that the average score for an Anime is an 8, then they will also give it an 8 and hop on the bandwagon.

Well, those people are also wrong - but for an entirely different reason than what I'm saying here.

It is annoying though
Sep 13, 2018 10:35 PM

Sep 2014
zieek said:
Well let's see, instead of caring for what score a stranger gave an anime. Or a friend or a million other people. Why not give it the score you think it deserves. Why is it important what the majority (sheep) think. I have decided that-

10 - master piece (once every 10 years)
9 - almost perfect - doesn't pay the bills
8 - brilliant anime (heart pounding)
7 - very good (clapping hands)
6 - good, could be better but isn't.
5 - average, still not bad since it could be worse
4 - mediocre, could have lived without having watched it.
3 - boring to many stupid, not funny and no plot.
2 - worst thing ever why was it made.
1 - a score given out of spite for an anime which was not bad, but just annoyed and pisses you of.

Interesting... Here's mine:
10 - Masterpiece
9 -
8 -
7 -
6 - Watchable
Anything below 6 is not watchable and therefore not watched.
Sep 13, 2018 10:43 PM

Sep 2014
AllHailLelouch87 said:
What really bothers me is those people who make a review and their overall score of that show doesn't make any sense. An example could be:
Story - 9
Art & Animation - 8
Sound - 7
Characters - 7
Enjoyment - 9
Overall - 7
The mean is clearly 8. Why give it a 7? I don't understand it.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Overall score is the score you should be taking into account when you read reviews. And after taking that into account and you would for example like to know how the reviewer rated the story, sound, characters etc etc then you can check out the others. If you're not interested in the reviewers opinion on Story, Art, Characters, and Enjoyment then you can ignore them. The overall score takes them all into account, but not in a mathematical way. If the Story, Sound, Characters and Enjoyment were all scored 10 but the animation itself consisted of children drawings and given the score of 1 I'm pretty sure the guy wouldn't give the anime an overall score of 8. Have I explained it clear enough? Although this is just speculation on my part because I just give an overall score... I'm no reviewer.
Sep 13, 2018 10:48 PM

Sep 2014
DepravedMagi said:
Calm down OP, its not a big deal when someone rates an anime lower than others.

So rated your favourite anime below 7?

Actually, I had no idea stupid people like that existed in the first place. It creates an imbalance with MALs scoring system and could affect peoples' decision when trying to look for an anime to watch. I'm pretty sure most people take MALs mean score into account when searching for anime.

Mickdrew said:
Sep 13, 2018 10:51 PM

Sep 2014
jal90 said:
People who do this kind of shit probably hold enough of a grudge towards the show to justify lowering the score, whether they want to justify it with the fanbase and the MAL average or with reasons actually related with content.

The former is dumb yeah but it's not like we can do anything, and if somebody is pissed enough about a series to easily take into account external factors in their rating they would probably end up finding whatever excuse to give a very low score anyway. In the end they just want to hate on the show.

What's the point in watching a show you hate... That's the height of idiocy right there! I'd understand it if your occupation was to give reviews but other than that you must be insane if you just wanna watch every anime you can find just so your list grows bigger. If you do manage to watch every single anime made you'd have accomplished something amazing but I'd personally just feel sad for you.
Sep 13, 2018 10:58 PM

May 2017
justcaolan said:
GangstaShiba said:

Maybe the film is just not to your tastes? There's people who feel the same about Fullmetal Alchemist and from the looks of your profile I'm fairly sure you'd rush to defend that in a heartbeat.

I guess your right but I just don't understand why people love that movie so much. The only good thing about it are the visuals

And I don't understand why people love fma so much, or maybe yes, there are people fighting so the anime get overrated as hell, fma is obviusly better compared to the usual stupid fighting animes like for example (in my opinion) boku no hero, there's for sure some intelligence used to make FMA but the score is waay to high
A person's life is not comprised of four repeating season, but a year-long winter wilderness, whether or not you stop to wipe your blood or tears, they will inevitably freeze over.
Sep 13, 2018 11:57 PM

Sep 2017
To each his own. If you think that you want to restore balance to civilization, then no one is stopping you from doing so.

But I recommend that you don't see the score of the anime and rate it independently. There will always be shitty anime with scores more than 9(one of them hasn't even finished airing as of this writing). So don't bother about what others think about your anime and rate it the way that you want. That way, when you look back on your anime list, you will know at a glance which shows were better and which were worse. Also helps a lot in knowing your genres in graph.anime.plus.

But if you still think that the show needs to get a 2 because of its over hyped rating, no one is stopping you. It is the anime's fault for not matching your expectations.

Cool stuff. Is your anime fate zero? I too think it is over rated.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Sep 14, 2018 12:05 AM

Sep 2017
BurroDiCacao said:
justcaolan said:

I guess your right but I just don't understand why people love that movie so much. The only good thing about it are the visuals

And I don't understand why people love fma so much, or maybe yes, there are people fighting so the anime get overrated as hell, fma is obviusly better compared to the usual stupid fighting animes like for example (in my opinion) boku no hero, there's for sure some intelligence used to make FMA but the score is waay to high

I think that FMAB is rated too high for its content. It should be rated among other shows with 8.5 and has nothing spectacular in my opinion. Honestly, I thought the anime was too long.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Sep 14, 2018 12:13 AM

Jan 2017
Used do it in the past when i started watching anime coz of annoying fanbases but after watching more and more stuffs and gaining more experience, i realised that it was naive and stupid.
So i dont do it anymore XP
Sep 14, 2018 2:02 AM

Oct 2012
cHowaito said:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Overall score is the score you should be taking into account when you read reviews. And after taking that into account and you would for example like to know how the reviewer rated the story, sound, characters etc etc then you can check out the others. If you're not interested in the reviewers opinion on Story, Art, Characters, and Enjoyment then you can ignore them. The overall score takes them all into account, but not in a mathematical way. If the Story, Sound, Characters and Enjoyment were all scored 10 but the animation itself consisted of children drawings and given the score of 1 I'm pretty sure the guy wouldn't give the anime an overall score of 8. Have I explained it clear enough? Although this is just speculation on my part because I just give an overall score... I'm no reviewer.
Unlike OP, I seem to like repeating myself, and I'm basically talking to myself since none of the bots ever read this anyways.

The entire anime rating system is objectively meaningless. The first 4 categories, presumably, are meant to encompass all aspects of an anime show: plot, characters, sound, visuals. Since your appreciation of anime can only be through the anime itself, it must be represented by a combination of the factors that the anime is. Therefore, if enjoyment is not some linear combination of plot, characters, sound and visuals, then you either:

1) Have some supernatural 6th sense that can't be described in words, or you'd create a 6th category.

2) Rate on some odd, personal system that has no benefit to anyone reading the review.

For example
Consider a painting, in which the only category must be visuals. Paintings have no plot, character, or audio per se. I mean you can infer a plot if you know the history, the artist, etc., but any inference must be made directly from the visuals. Therefore, your enjoyment of the painting must be either directly from the visuals, or an indirect inference from the visuals.

Imagine, then, that you rate the painting 8 for visuals, and 10 for enjoyment. This tells us your rating for the visuals does not really reflect how much you like the visuals of the painting, since it is literally impossible for you to derive pleasure from the painting by anything besides the visuals -- since the visuals comprise the painting whole. I think we can reasonably rule out that you're the second coming of Jesus and have some supernatural gift for the true metaphysical quality of artwork.

Since your rating for the visuals does not reflect your actual opinion, it could be based on a number of external biases like your impression of how popular it is, how much you think other people will like it, how technically difficult you think it is, and a number of arbitrary things that you apparently attribute to quality that has absolutely no bearing on your enjoyment of it.

If you don't specifically note that you:

1) Are under the influence of other people's opinions.

2) Don't appreciate the "quality", which you rated under visuals, since your enjoyment doesn't match the quality.

Then we have really no idea what you're rating on. After all, you're unwittingly casting doubt on your own opinions. You are admitting that there might be a number of technical factors to a painting that you recognize as having quality, but you might not enjoy it at all. In other words, you admit that you don't enjoy quality. What is a taste that precludes quality?

Shit taste.

tl;dr If enjoyment isn't a mathematical linear combination or redundant, the reviewer is admitting that he has shit taste.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Sep 14, 2018 9:13 AM

Aug 2017
Well , ... changing your opinion about the show by looking at the ratings is just nonsense.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ _Open to criticism._ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 14, 2018 11:46 AM

Sep 2014

You may need to work your brain less. Seems like my explanation doesn't make sense to you and your explanation doesn't make sense to me. Between the two of us, there is no way we can solve this "issue" by ourselves. The scoring system is all subjective. If it doesn't make sense to you, it makes sense to someone else. If you want to know what someone thinks of an anime in general, look at the "Overall" score they listed. If you want to know what that person thought of the sound/voiceacting/music then check the listed "Sound" score.
Sep 14, 2018 11:50 AM

Sep 2013
I think it could be valid to change your opinions on shows if they present to you another point of view, like for example, lets say you liked the sound of anime, but someone reviewed the sound as bad because they use the same soundtrack over and over, and you missed it out and after you noticed that your opinion changed about that ( probally or not ) but changing notes/opinions only on notes without contesting or reading anything about it is just sad.
Sep 14, 2018 11:52 AM

Sep 2014
zieek said:
cHowaito said:

Interesting... Here's mine:
10 - Masterpiece
9 -
8 -
7 -
6 - Watchable
Anything below 6 is not watchable and therefore not watched.

You are missing out, there are so many anime out there. Why dont people take advantage of MAL's scale of one to ten.
Missing out on what exactly? If I'm missing out on something I just haven't seen it yet. I am, in my opinion, making full use of the scale.

"4 - mediocre, could have lived without having watched it.
3 - boring to many stupid, not funny and no plot.
2 - worst thing ever why was it made.
1 - a score given out of spite for an anime which was not bad, but just annoyed and pisses you of."

Look at these. I can also use scores between 1-5. I don't do it because I intentionally don't touch those shit animes that will I will not enjoy. I have watched shit anime before and I drop those and delete them from memory and my list. So I AM making full use of the scale of one to ten... I just don't watch anime that's below 6.
Sep 14, 2018 12:03 PM
Oct 2016
I use the rating system for my own personal tracking so I'd only be sabotaging myself if I tried to "Rectify" any perceived injustice out there - that said "I get it" - there is recent anime bias inflation and "new to anime" inflation in general. From what I've seen there are far more "Gave it a 10 because fanboy" than "gave it a 1 because I drive the speed limit in the left hand lane."

Inflation "fanboy" 10's are a far bigger problem than "spoiler" 1 scores.

MAL should flatly ignore 10's and possibly 9's as well as 1's from their rating, or at the very least lower their influence ratio in the overall score. I flatly ignore any review that gives something a 10 because I'm looking for a critical take on what I'm interested in watching. "10" reviews are useless - by definition - as a review as they functionally eschew criticism and are just there to suck on the metaphysical rod protruding from the front of whatever brought them to tears last.
Sep 14, 2018 4:54 PM

Oct 2012
cHowaito said:

You may need to work your brain less. Seems like my explanation doesn't make sense to you and your explanation doesn't make sense to me. Between the two of us, there is no way we can solve this "issue" by ourselves. The scoring system is all subjective. If it doesn't make sense to you, it makes sense to someone else. If you want to know what someone thinks of an anime in general, look at the "Overall" score they listed. If you want to know what that person thought of the sound/voiceacting/music then check the listed "Sound" score.
The scoring system is subjective but that doesn't mean it isn't based on some perception of reality. I don't care if anyone online has low self esteem but it's almost irrefutable that having a separate enjoyment score is a repudiation of their own opinions. They're either saying that they don't like quality, or that people don't like quality in general, which is odd considering anime is purely an entertainment medium.

It's okay if you choose to shut your mind off. Escapism is certainly a route. They say ignorant people are happier in general. My post was more to the general forum and myself than a reply to you.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Sep 14, 2018 5:40 PM

Apr 2016
AllHailLelouch87 said:
What really bothers me is those people who make a review and their overall score of that show doesn't make any sense. An example could be:
Story - 9
Art & Animation - 8
Sound - 7
Characters - 7
Enjoyment - 9
Overall - 7
The mean is clearly 8. Why give it a 7? I don't understand it.

I don't know how true this is for everyone else, but I differentiate between how technically good a show is (ie, shot composition, direction, art/animation consistency, sound effects, etc), and the final score, which is how much I enjoyed it personally. For example, I recognize Cowboy Bebop as being a great show on a technical level, but personally didn't enjoy it that much. It simply didn't resonate with me. I would've given it an average 5 had it not been for how good the craft of it was, so I bumped it up to "fine".
Sep 14, 2018 10:53 PM

Sep 2014
[quote=katsucats message=55726015]
cHowaito said:

The scoring system is subjective but that doesn't mean it isn't based on some perception of reality. I don't care if anyone online has low self esteem but it's almost irrefutable that having a separate enjoyment score is a repudiation of their own opinions. They're either saying that they don't like quality, or that people don't like quality in general, which is odd considering anime is purely an entertainment medium.

It's okay if you choose to shut your mind off. Escapism is certainly a route. They say ignorant people are happier in general. My post was more to the general forum and myself than a reply to you.

Newton's third law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

My comment must've came off as rude, which wasn't my intention. Anyways...
... I think you need to rephrase your comments and put them in layman's terms. You said it's meant for the general forum but that must mean I'm really stupid for having a difficult time trying to translate your comments. Hard life... It sounds to me like you're focusing your attention towards the enjoyment part of the score and its contradiction(towards the Overall score?) more than you should. Or I've just failed to interpret your comment, again.

Hope you don't mind my replies, even if you're not interested in me.
Sep 16, 2018 9:29 AM

Sep 2014
zieek said:

What about 9, 8 and 7 also why does every anime below 6 have to be unwatchable or not worth the trouble. Personally I can find something I like in an anime I have given a score of 3/10 to. Even if it's just a two, three or a single moment in a 12 to 13 ep anime, if I liked that scene or the character or something than even if the anime is overall boring or bad at least it's not hopeless. Aren't you just unwilling to give it some more thought as to whether to give an anime a 4/10 or a 5/10 because it's to troublesome and you just can't be bothered.

I score animes from 6 to 10 (feel free to check my profile) so numbers 7, 8 and 9 are included of course. Regarding the rest of your comment... I watch anime purely because I enjoy watching it and that's also how I score them. "Two, three or a single moment (of enjoyment) in a 12 to 13 ep anime" is definitely not worth it. Anime isn't school. Anime is not mandatory. I do not have to watch anime but instead it is a decision I myself make. And since the freedom of choice is mine; I choose not to participate in the boring or useless "lessons".

You're right, I am unwilling to give an anime 4 or 5/10 because I just can't be bothered. But that's the animes fault for not catching my attention. I don't review animes as a part of my job so I have no obligation to sit through a bad anime just so I can give an objective ("objective" my ass...) review at the end of it.

I may have said too much. Take no offense if anything sounds rude.
Sep 16, 2018 11:05 AM

Feb 2015
im more curious of why do you care of such thing
Sep 16, 2018 11:07 AM

Sep 2018
I oftentimes give shows that I deem "underrated" a slightly better score, and I'm not asahmed of that. That's mostly because I entirely rate with my gut feeling.

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 9 hours ago

34 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

36 by Siranto1 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

92 by Skuletor »»
33 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

59 by SpeedyAlchemist »»
42 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

38 by TheSFHero »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.