Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Happy Sugar Life
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Dec 25, 2020 2:19 AM

Feb 2016
Zoushu said:
The death scene was really strange to me.
Satou covers Shouko's mouth with one of her hands, and holds the knife with the other. She is not blocking Shouko's nose, so while it's difficult for Shouko to make noise, she should still be able to breathe.

If someone is pointing a knife towards your head/ throat, shouldn't your first instinct be to block it with your hands? But for some reason it seems Shouko decides trying to get rid of the hand which only stops her from making sound is a higher priority than stopping the hand which has a knife that will end her life. Sure, the arm around her was limiting her mobility, but It's not like she would get away from that position anyway, since she was lying down on the ground, and if she did the knife would still be going towards her.

This scene was probably much quicker in the manga, and there probably was no way out for her even if Shouko survived a bit longer, but the way she acted really doesn't make sense to me.

1) The hand covering her mouth was also the one holding her down to keep her from getting away, and since escape was likely the only possibility that came to her mind, she would never have thought to make a counterattack.
2) She was naive enough to think Satou would never kill her because she had no idea that Satou, a cute teenage girl she thought of as a friend, had already killed several people at this point for the sake of Shio, so the shock at such a development would have been considerable.
3) We are talking about a relatively-normal high school girl with no real combat experience that was caught by surprise and forced to the ground by the person she loves, who also happens to be holding a large knife, after an intense, emotional, painful & life-changing sequence of events - the chances of her being able to act or even think rationally under those circumstances are about as close to zero as one can get.

Most people would probably not fare much better under these circumstances...
Apr 12, 2021 8:12 AM

Nov 2013
Fuck this show, Fuck Satou. Of course the only sane character had to be killed. Until now Satou was semi-redeemable. Excluding the whole loli abduction (which I don't consider harsh, considering how her family is trash), and how He killed the owner of the house since he was about to kill Shio, Killing shoukou was so unnecessary! Satou would definitely leave this place anyways, so killing the only person on Earth who treated her kindly... why?! Satou better die a "sad", gruesome death! Fuck this shit!
Apr 19, 2021 6:11 AM

Nov 2020
What a great episode, as I expected. I learn to never make psycho person become good person (except they want to change), so Shouko get what she deserved.
What Does Pot of Greed do?
May 18, 2021 3:08 AM

Apr 2021
The second half of this episode completely broke me. Every few days, I try to convince myself that I'm ready to resume watching the anime, but then I think back to what happened in this episode, and I just can't. I totally break down. I've watched a fair amount of anime that had shocking situations, but this one hits home on so many degrees. And I relate to Satou, I really do. Well, not to the extremes of the anime, of course, but still, I do.

When you have something or someone to lose, you're willing to go very far, and you may not even see how wrong it is. And of course, Satou doesn't see that, given her twisted upbringing. All she thinks about is Shio, and I've found it beautiful until this episode. Now I'm very... conflicted. Shoko was actually my favorite character, and it took her gruesome death for me to realize that. She died alone, murdered in cold blood at the hands of the person she loved. That's one of the most cruel ways to go.

I was behind Satou that entire time, because I get it. You are happy. You feel true happiness. Real, genuine feelings, not powered by something like sexuality, power or other ulterior motives. Just the desire to be with that person forever and ever. Taboo or not, this is pure, in my eyes. Even though she went about it the wrong way, of course. I like Satou and I relate to her. But this episode was too much for me.

I don't suddenly hate her or anything like that, because, heck, her resolve is made pretty darn clear. She may not have thought much of Shoko, but she was at the very least a constant presence in her life for years. Perhaps with some more insight, she would have seen her as a friend. It turns out I relate to Shoko, as well. Finally mustering the courage to push yourself to do something important to you. It's a very beautiful thing. When that absolutely gorgeous song played while she finally confessed everything to Satou, I felt that. To think it would be her undoing...

Shoko-chan. It took her death for me to realize that she was my favorite character.
MirinkaiserMay 18, 2021 3:20 AM
"Death is not the end. Being forgotten is."
May 19, 2021 8:06 AM

Jun 2020
Asahi has his suspicions right about Mr. pedo here

Shouko is really living on a knife's edge here taking the risk of the photo that she just took and I have a bad feeling about what's going to happen

Sataou doesn't hold back even for Shouko she just straight up murdered her I really can't believe what happened.
Aug 11, 2021 12:32 AM
Aug 2018
Holy shit Satou is truly beyond saving (already knew that from episode 1). Just wow. That was an EPISODE I have to say. I didn’t expect to feel these emotions from an anime like this… Geez.
Sep 7, 2021 6:41 AM

Jul 2021
Honestly I really am not surprised they killed off Shouko, she's one of the only characters in the damn anime that isn't a criminal. Though honestly, if Satou ends up dead or in a straight jacket she really did it to herself.

I also still wanna know how she and Shio met and what exactly happened to the mum
Nov 24, 2021 3:00 AM

Jun 2013
The aunt is an interesting character but I'm surprised that Satou even told her where she was staying. I kind of got spoiled she'd die near the apartment but I'm surprised Satou killed her in such a risky place where Shio could've seen it.

Satou was interesting at the beginning but Shouko and the brother ended up getting way more character development while Satou hasn't changed at all. Taiyo as well hasn't changed much for a while. I guess that's why they remain villains.

Next episode I guess is gonna be Shio focused.
melody404Nov 24, 2021 5:35 AM
Nov 28, 2021 6:32 AM
Mar 2019
They just had to kill off the only sane character in this anime. Ughh Satou is honestly such a creep. I don't freaking care anymore if she had an abusive childhood 😒

Gosh that last scene was just so freaking disturbing
Aug 28, 2022 3:45 AM

Feb 2015
I knew the cop would come back lol. Wonder what happened to him.

Good riddance to Shoko. She was tolerable up until this episode but I'm glad she's gone now. Now all that's left is that damn brother.
iDensityAug 28, 2022 4:41 AM
Oct 28, 2022 1:06 PM

Feb 2022
It smells like School Days in here
                                                    slice of life anime, my beloved.

2D>>>>>>
Dec 19, 2022 9:44 PM
Feb 2021
I need a cold shower. This show really kills me. I'm really not holding out any hope for any sort of happy end
May 9, 2023 3:58 PM
Feb 2023
WHAT??? This anime gets insaner by the episode. That was just messed up wow
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2018

96 by LeonardoFrav »»
Apr 4, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 2 Discussion

TheFreycook - Aug 9, 2018

42 by neptuneSXDLl »»
Mar 27, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2018

329 by Phixiately »»
Mar 25, 10:46 PM

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2018

70 by Phixiately »»
Mar 23, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2018

81 by Phixiately »»
Mar 20, 9:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.