Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2018 12:43 PM

Jun 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Seemingly not related to the first episode, but it appears that every different part of her body created a ghost. Can't call these specials a very complete experience either way.
UnowenSep 6, 2018 12:48 PM
Sep 8, 2018 11:47 PM

Sep 2013
Tomie is born again, poor bland girl being the sacrifice:'(
Sep 11, 2018 9:07 AM

May 2017
Unowen said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Seemingly not related to the first episode, but it appears that every different part of her body created a ghost. Can't call these specials a very complete experience either way.

ichii_1 said:
Tomie is born again, poor bland girl being the sacrifice:'(

This episode adapted the chapter: "basement" and we didn't even get to the basement lol since it's only 10 minutes per episode, so for those who haven't read the manga, I highly recommend it, this adaptation (6/10) ain't nowhere near as good as the manga (10/10), but for those who don't plan to, I'd at least like to summarize the entirety of said chapter
LairucremSep 11, 2018 9:40 AM
Sep 14, 2018 9:33 PM

Aug 2015
Since Tomie's using Reiko's name now, i wonder what happened to Reiko...
maybe she ate her like an alien parasite XD
Sep 16, 2018 7:15 PM

Mar 2009
10 minutes each? Wow...

This was mostly disappointing. Again, it just seems like these anime adaptations do no service to Junji Ito's works.
Sep 24, 2018 2:06 AM

Jun 2013
Another disappointing ten minutes. I love Tomie so much but they can never adapt her correctly. Hell, they didn't adapt any of Junji Ito's works well.

As usual, Tomie seduced someone to the point of madness. She happens to be the victim all the time. I think Takagi is hilarious though. He's like, "Sure, give the dying girl a kidney from the REGENERATING SUCCUBUS OF IMMORTALITY, TOMIE!" He really lost his marbles.

Poor girl was like, "I'm not hungry, I'm growing a Tomie tumor in my belly."

I really hope another studio can adapt this series in the future.
臭い-
Sep 24, 2018 3:57 PM

Oct 2015
I must say this two part series was graphic but a bit enjoyable, Tomie is one love obsessed ghost.

That Tomie head born out of that girl was very horrific but it was a bit predictable. But I wonder what happened with the previous episode sensei??

6/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 5, 2018 7:31 PM

Jul 2016
Well, the last part was extremely creepy although predictable at some point.

This special was better that the previous one. At least, I enjoyed it way more that the other one but just that. It won't be something to be remembered at all.

Nov 12, 2018 1:47 AM

May 2017
lihle808 said:

That Tomie head born out of that girl was very horrific but it was a bit predictable. But I wonder what happened with the previous episode sensei??

I literally just explained it in the upper comments

SouthRzVa said:
Well, the last part was extremely creepy although predictable at some point.

This special was better that the previous one. At least, I enjoyed it way more that the other one but just that. It won't be something to be remembered at all.

Can't blame you, this special only adapted the first two chapters of its 20 this episode 2 adapted the chapter called "basement" and it didn't even reach the basement
LairucremNov 12, 2018 1:54 AM
Nov 15, 2018 6:15 AM

Dec 2010
Much better than the first travesty. This was actually pretty okay with nice atmosphere. The story was more coherent this time. Still this could have been much more.

Disappointment.

First episode - 3/10
Second - 6/10
Dec 10, 2018 11:24 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
dreadfully beauty the head appearing in the middle of the operation!!!

8/10 for both episodes!!!
Dec 28, 2018 9:11 PM
Mar 2018
Wow this thread is cryptic... neat
Jan 1, 2019 6:23 AM

May 2016
It's safe to say that this one's a lot better than the last abysmal episode. No censorship, a lot creepier execution, and the art didn't look as poor as the last one. It redeemed itself somewhat but the comparatively piss-poor production of the first one really dragged it down. Junji's work has very big artistic potential and all these half-assed adaptations are pretty sad. These horrors deserve better smh

The girl being pregnant with kidney Tomie's screwed up and the crazy teacher who knowingly had her kidney donated after having to deal with the 42 Tomie pieces back then was a total asshat for doing that.

Feb 1, 2019 11:34 AM

Mar 2012
wow, i loved this, really left me wanting more, Two 11 minute episodes is just not enough :(

that ending song was amazing
May 18, 2019 4:09 AM

Oct 2015
i still cant wrap my head why people seem to think the junji ito anime was an abomination. i thought they did a good job with the atmosphere and the sound cues are on point to match how tense the scene is. honestly, the only downside to this adaptation was the art completely lacking. I guess junji's manga relies on art a lot? and that's why people hate it so much? I think I'm in the minority to say that I've enjoyed the adaptation
Aug 26, 2019 7:39 AM
Jan 2017
actually i found this ova from the airing anime nakahito genome..
the murder and mutilation was ok but the story was mmm. i dont know,,
and the final episode tomie killed and her kidney was trasplanted to the girl and tomie came out from the girl belly ,.. wtf,, i just can said "huh. what is this?"
Aug 30, 2019 12:01 AM

Jan 2011
On a positive, these specials made me want to reread the manga.
Sep 11, 2019 8:14 PM

May 2018
Well, that was...something.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Nov 1, 2019 4:02 AM
May 2019
To me this was even worse than the Gyo adaptation. A failed attempt at horror.
Aug 11, 2022 11:17 PM
Oct 2020
nothing special, simple story about witcher
Sep 16, 2022 11:31 PM

Dec 2009
I originally gave this anime a 3/10 before I read the original manga, but now that I have full context to the whole story of Tomie, I can appreciate this adaption a bit more, even if it remains mediocre.

... Admittedly, I thought this anime was bad, but now I realize that it's acceptable, but, only if you have context to all of Tomie.
One problem is that it's just the first two chapter's introduction to Tomie.

Quality-wise, in execution, the voice acting is great,
but the animation is very lackluster for being somewhat flat and slow.
At the some of the most thrilling points of the story, the anime fails to intensify them as they feel like in the manga, while insight to her phenomenom is lost for cutting that content from this adaption.

Unfortunately, two of the most pivotal moments of Tomie are very underwhelming.
Her fall is dull for how unrealistically slow it is, and her dismemberement is censored.
The introduced atmosphere from her classmates who speak of her beauty is cut, along some of her snob attitude with that boy and her teacher, which doesn't give proper pacing and care to her character.

The reason why this is problem, even moreso with the lack of context to comprehending who and what Tomie is is that it doesn't reveal all of her from the manga for how she's a narcissist sadist, and is cursed with her enchanting beauty that causes men to murder her for love.
Although, again, this is later and concretely comprehended after reading the rest of the chapters if it wasn't clear already from the first two, due to this loop of Tomie's manipulating several victims and then dying repeating.

With all that being said, not exactly a bad anime adaption, but not a very good one either,
regardless of the first two chapters not being the "best" of Tomie. 4/10.
Oct 31, 2022 5:10 AM

Nov 2020
Junji Ito is really a genius when it comes to horror!
Sorry for my english xD!

RIP Kentaro Miura :(
RIP Akira Toriyama :(

Oct 31, 2022 5:31 AM
Oct 2019
but seriously Tomie was so beautiful, i mean who doesn't love her? lol

Damn she was born again from the Kidney?

this OVA was just Ok, of course Studio Deen again.
can't expect too much from this Studio anyway.

another 5/10 adaptation.

Watching this really makes me want to read the Manga.
Jan 22, 2023 10:09 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Woah, damn, these two episodes were easily the darkest that this series up to this point in anime form had to offer, imo, and that was thrilling! Here's to hoping the Netflix adaption will cover this because almost nothing at this point really makes sense but there's potential. What a way to end the episode, too. ED creeped me out a little, which in this case is obviously a plus. 

Generous 6/10 for these two episodes, ig. More like what I expected from the creator and series. 

#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Feb 16, 2023 10:09 PM

Feb 2021
Well, this one is very terrifying...
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tomie Episode 1 Discussion

ibraheem234 - Sep 6, 2018

26 by Ayano_Kuma »»
Feb 4, 4:51 AM

» Is Tomie considered one of Junji Ito's best works?

Rayn3698 - Feb 2, 2018

10 by Haunt88 »»
Aug 4, 2023 4:33 AM

» Intriguing. [Warning: Spoiler]

Asphiee - Oct 31, 2022

11 by Asphiee »»
Nov 4, 2022 7:41 AM

» My favorite Juni story but the Anime was a huge let down.

WildCardBevin - Oct 20, 2021

2 by Max-OG »»
Oct 22, 2021 1:48 PM

» Tomie = Majin Buu

Arcued - Mar 24, 2018

5 by tearofmankind »»
Nov 14, 2018 3:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.