Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 6, 2018 4:31 PM
Nov 2017
Serious answer: Cowboy Bebop

OT: Yuri on Ice
Sep 6, 2018 5:22 PM

Aug 2017
I think that most of anime are masculine
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 6, 2018 5:28 PM

Aug 2014
I would recommend the first FUNimation English dub of Dragon Ball Z with the phenomenal Bruce Faulconer soundtrack.

(There are many versions, so be sure you go with that one...if you actually watch it. There are 291 episodes, though...)
Sep 6, 2018 5:55 PM

Nov 2012
Sanrio Danshi. The only anime worth watching.

Sep 6, 2018 6:24 PM

Mar 2017
None of them.

Because real men don't watch cartoons. :P
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider
Sep 6, 2018 6:26 PM

Dec 2017
Hajime no Ippo, real men dont care about what they watch since they arent toxic feminists saying anime is only for women.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Sep 6, 2018 6:27 PM

May 2012
FMmatron said:
Hokuto no Ken, JoJo and Kaiji.

My role model is Señor Pink.

Close thread. its done nothing is better than this
Sep 6, 2018 8:10 PM

Oct 2015
Wow, no one mentioned the manliest anime of all time. Precure.
Sep 6, 2018 8:24 PM
Jul 2018
Dragon Ball Z is hands down perfect for this
Sep 6, 2018 8:32 PM

Jun 2014
Ne93 said:

I'll definitely agree here.

Cure Black kicks ass.

Sep 6, 2018 8:48 PM

Nov 2015
I could see this turning into 4cahn maybe some day a pretty nice read though.
but I'd say a calm chill guy yet protecting maybe.

Takumi Usui from Maid Sama he's very protective and he stays to one girl and he doesn't nothing distract him from his true girl
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the [urlhttps://theglorioblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/swordart10ass.jpg=]Site & Forum Guidelines[/url].
Sep 6, 2018 11:17 PM

Dec 2009
Can someone tell me what the hell it means to "cultivate masculinity"?

Do you mean, you're looking for shows that help people relate to masculinity, or shows that reaffirm or vlaidate one's sense of masculinity, or what?

Edit: i mean no disrespect to the OP, I'm just adding some sass to my post. The question is indeed legitimate
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Sep 6, 2018 11:22 PM

Nov 2014
Crusader_8 said:

I'd guess it's something like getting inspiration from manly characters. Maybe even feeling manlier than you actually are by getting into story. There is also this "feeling your beard grow just from watching him" thing.

OT: JoJo, Berserk and TTGL are easiest and probably most accurate suggestions. Jormungand works too.
Sep 6, 2018 11:23 PM

Dec 2009
Terkhev said:
Crusader_8 said:

I'd guess it's something like getting inspiration from manly characters. Maybe even feeling manlier than you actually are by getting into story. There is also this "feeling your beard grow just from watching him" thing.

OT: JoJo, Berserk and TTGL are easiest and probably most accurate suggestions.
Yeah, I'd say Every JoJo arc will do the trick

Ever_Onward said:

There are attributes that are traditionally considered masculine. The development of those attributes could be called the "cultivation of masculinity."

I'm also extremely tired. Lmao.
I don't think watching an anime will help you develop the ability to exhibit masculine traits, unless you're just going to imitate what you see
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Sep 7, 2018 12:16 AM

May 2012
thizlas said:
@Nihilfist So you think women don't have these traits ? Are you serious ? The whole point I was making is that the concept of masculinity is useless because it designates traits that aren't specific to men. What's more, the idea of masculinity tends to glorify violence and strength more than thinking, which is obviously a bad thing. Is this simple reasoning that hard to grasp ?

Women can still have masculine traits. What makes traits such as aggressiveness, confidence, strength, ambition, etc. masculine is that they're driven by testosterone.
Sep 7, 2018 12:41 AM

Jul 2011
PrincessStarRose said:

Takumi Usui from Maid Sama he's very protective and he stays to one girl and he doesn't nothing distract him from his true girl

Absolutely not. Shojo manga is a girl's fantasy and men do not act the way that male characters in shojo do. You can't expect female authors to understand what it's like to be a guy, meaning it's impossible for a guy to relate. Usui is especially a huge offender because he has absolutely no flaws. A literal Gary Stu.

EDIT: Shonen manga is a much better source of role models because it's written by male authors that know what it's like to experience masculinity. Characters like Midoriya from Boku no Hero Academia are perfect because it's a projection of hard work, struggle, and surpassing limits.
shootinSep 7, 2018 12:45 AM
Sep 7, 2018 6:00 AM

Feb 2013
Astolfo is the holy answer........
Sep 7, 2018 6:43 AM
Mar 2013
There were many suggestions, most of them were good, some were off, I'd like to add and reaffirm:

Slam Dunk
Shonan Junai Gumi

School Rumble: Harima Kenji acts pretty manly, even though it's more highschool delinquent manly and not action hero adult manly like fist of the north star but they're still manly and good anime to watch

In general 80s and 90s shounen had a lot more manly characters than recent anime, there's also some characters that act more like gentlemen and wise elder guys but I can't remember a specific title
Sep 7, 2018 1:43 PM

Nov 2016
I mean, if you really wanna be masculine, you gotta stop watching anime first. It's like eating laxatives while trying to treat your diarrhea.
Sep 7, 2018 3:40 PM

Dec 2009
Ever_Onward said:

Well, reading teaches many things. I figure a show can as well. It contains wisdom and so on too.
Correction, reading and watching only shows perspectives which we form beliefs on. One can *believe* they are being taught, or *believe* the information is tantamount to wisdom. That doesn't necessarily make those things true. If anything, entertainment media tends to validate our pre-existing beliefs rather than "teach" us.

~

Sep 7, 2018 3:41 PM

Feb 2016
Ashita no Joe without a doubt is the best example of productive masculinity ever in anime.

It's all about power, expression and respect. A relatable and restless youth with no future learns virtue the hard way and begins to appreciate the sport and spirit of boxing as well as the ones who surround him. He learns that hard work is the only true way to get what you dream of, and in the end he faces a fate any man would consider great. Honestly this story could have been about any sport, but the fact that it's boxing reaffirms the point so much more as it's a stereotypically masculine discipline and requires intensive training and preparation that no ordinary person can endure. Only someone who possesses the virtue required to be a true man can do that and do it well.
Sep 7, 2018 5:32 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Crusader_8 said:

Well, Iunno, to me at least, the concept of masculinity in general is really just trying to develop and nurture traits that I see as "good." It's like an ideal vision of myself, so to speak, that I strive to achieve and live up to consistently, at which point I'd be comfortable considering myself a "man." So I associate it with elements like balancing out idealism and pragmatism when trying to achieve my goals, being reliable and hard-working, the ability to cope and deal with situations that are stressful and grit my teeth through it, and an ability to dig my feet into the ground and stand firm without being stubborn about it. Stuff like that, the type of person I want to be like.

So I think cultivating masculinity is basically just trying to develop and achieve that ideal vision, in a way. Fiction can communicate these ideals with its audience through its characters and narratives, and I think this thread is pretty much just asking for something along those lines. Something that can try to communicate values that can be reach the viewer enough to achieve this kind of self-vision, help develop their understanding of these values they're considering important or potentially communicating values that can be deemed admirable as a result of as much.

I do kind of think that masculinity tends to function as a relative concept, though. Different values and different traits that are deemed to be good and desirable are the concept of masculinity that somebody is adhering to. It could be aesthetic stuff like strength and power, it could be the psychological mechanisms involved in how they approach and deal with situations put before them, so on and so forth. I do kind of think that at heart it serves as a kind of ideal to try to live up to, though, and little more.

It's why I recommended Kaiji in this thread - it's the anime that probably displays the traits that I associate the most heavily with genuine masculinity in its protagonist, not really through its gar elements as much as how it portrays the MC's situational coping. Cairne Bloodhoof from the Warcraft series is another fictional character that I really admire for what I perceive to be a sense of masculinity, with a sense of "strength and firmness when needed, but not when it is unnecessary" type of deal, going in a bit of a different direction for traits I consider to be the most masculine in Kaiji, I guess.
ManabanSep 7, 2018 5:52 PM

Sep 7, 2018 5:40 PM

May 2009
SimeonStylitses said:
I never really saw virtue's and morality as in anyway gender specific. If something is right or wrong it's right or wrong whether or not the person doing it has a dick so I find talk of the importance of becoming a man or lady rather silly. To try to avoid some of the gender identity quagmire if you got the right Chromosone's and/or identify as that gender then that parts already sorted what you should try to be is a good person. In practice men & women typically have different hurdles to jump there but so do people of different social/economic classes, aptitude's etc.
Agreed.

I'd expect a mature man to be level-headed and know how to read the situation, just as I'd expect a mature woman to be such.

SimeonStylitses said:
Also Kamina is an annoying idiot.
Haven't seen enough of TTGL to say for myself.

edit: well goodness apparently i don't know how to read the situation because I didn't know there were two additional pages of posts
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 7, 2018 5:44 PM

Jun 2017
The only correct answer is Gurren Lagann
Sep 7, 2018 6:21 PM

Nov 2016
If you like battle shounen definitely Bleach
Sep 7, 2018 7:01 PM

Mar 2017
Let me share to you the wisdom of the elders:

"Addi, there's nothing less manly than a man constantly seeking to reaffirm his masculinity... You don't want to play basketball with the other kids, that's fine. Come help me tend the garden."

As for "role models", I don't like the selections here so have my take:

And maybe give this video a try:

You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Sep 7, 2018 10:42 PM

Jun 2011
Sailor Mercury.

Ideal.

I know she is a female but.

She is gonna be a doctor. She is strong and tactical. She uses her mind. She isn't hyper violent. She isn't stupid. She avoids the opposite gender because they will fuck up her career.

Perfect man right there.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Sep 7, 2018 11:48 PM

Aug 2014
That's why anime is dangerous to a certain extent. I used to think this way, adopting anime character's value judgments and the likes.. well at one point of your life you will realize anime aren't even specialized to do these kind of things even after seeing all the improbable number of good deeds and philosophical grandeurs they exhibited, there's a reason why anime is also a medium of escapism, as it selectively nurtures those things one can't cope up with the real word. Proper moderation, vigilance, and reflection is (my) way towards anime, so as not to confuse and alienate myself on what's really up ahead.
Sep 8, 2018 12:56 AM

Jul 2017
JoJo and Kaiji is definitely the only correct answer for this one.
Sep 8, 2018 9:02 AM

Jul 2014
Yusuke Urameshi is the patron saint of positive masculinity.
Take care of yourself

Sep 8, 2018 9:15 AM
Aug 2018
Grand blue is the best example ahahahah
Sep 8, 2018 9:39 AM

Apr 2014
Role Model is Eikichi Onizuka, I studied to become a teacher because of GTO.
Sep 8, 2018 12:26 PM

Sep 2014
I still think Gurren Lagann teachs us how much we, humans, are crazy dumb warlike race and being a man is being a jerkass...

What I call a real "man" is in Oyaji.
Sep 9, 2018 12:26 AM

Jun 2014
It would probably be the guy from shokugeki no soma don't his name but it's the guy with a lot of muscles.
Sep 24, 2018 1:45 AM

May 2009
Funniest thing is that I ran across a surprisingly good male role model in a harem series, of all places. And said character is neither a "beta cuck mc" nor some sort of edgy sexually-domineering superman who memetically makes all the ladies swoon just to spite said "beta cuck mc" concept.

* Tigrevurmud Vorn, Lord Marksman and Vanadis. Here you have a guy who stands up for his principles, yet presents that strong resolve with an admirable sense of humility. He doesn't try to impress people with swagger or tough talk. Rather, he knows what's important to him, and works hard to achieve it. But he's not just a boring stick-in-the-mud -- he's also quite intelligent and clever, able to maintain diplomatic friendships with his attitude of honorable respect and a knack for knowing what to say when, and also strategize winning tactics on the battlefield in short order.

And this is a character in a setting where at least several major female characters are at least as powerful if not far more powerful than him, at least as far as combat ability is concerned.

Seiya said:
Ne93 said:

I'll definitely agree here.

Cure Black kicks ass.
No one Marble Screws like Cure Black and Cure White.

Not even Gaston.
GlennMagusHarveySep 24, 2018 3:21 AM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 21, 2023 6:38 AM

Feb 2023
Vagabond, Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin.
Apr 21, 2023 7:00 AM

May 2018
Hentai Kamen live action. The manliest shit I ever seen. I wish there were anime adaptation for the manga.

Nemo_NiemandApr 21, 2023 7:06 AM

Apr 21, 2023 8:18 AM

Feb 2018
Mistanel said:
Anime and Masculinity

#thecommonmanvcharalimit.org
Apr 21, 2023 10:38 AM

Apr 2023
Captain Harlock and basically any anime by Leiji Matsumoto is going to have boatloads of masculinity. The entire premise of his shows are often about 'being a man' and following one's ideals and dreams no matter how disliked or even pointless they may be.

Apr 21, 2023 10:44 AM

Nov 2018
Mistanel said:
What shows help a man cultivate his masculinity? Also, who do you consider a good male role model (anime character)?

Tomo from Tomo chan is a girl. I'm not even joking.
Apr 21, 2023 2:08 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I don't like characters with facial hairs.. I don't think it's a sign of masculinity but laziness

Apr 21, 2023 2:57 PM

Sep 2022
Guts, Goku and Vegeta give me infinity gym motivation.
Apr 21, 2023 3:15 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
COTEisShitTier said:

Vegeta is balding and shorter than the average woman.
I don't see how girls like him but they don't like short bald men in real life... Lmao

Apr 21, 2023 3:34 PM

Aug 2020
K-On, Nichijou, Black Lagoon and Rurouni Kenshin.

Apr 21, 2023 3:35 PM

Aug 2020
Also Joe as somebody mentioned above me...

Apr 21, 2023 3:42 PM
Jul 2018
I cultivated my masculinity with the manliest of all: Golden Kamuy.
Apr 21, 2023 3:45 PM

Dec 2012
__Duckie said:
justcaolan said:
All I know is that real men watch black lagoon

*types to get more than 30 fucking characters in* best answer here
Truer words were never spoken.  Also Jormungand where the pirates are replaced with arms dealers.
KruszerApr 21, 2023 4:05 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 21, 2023 3:56 PM

Sep 2022
ryo-san said:
COTEisShitTier said:

Vegeta is balding and shorter than the average woman.
I don't see how girls like him but they don't like short bald men in real life... Lmao
The same reason they find L from Death Note attractive, yet messy haired, skinny guys haven't touched a woman since their mum gave birth to them. Unattractive real life traits somehow end up being attractive in the anime medium.
Apr 21, 2023 4:06 PM

Oct 2014
There's nothing manlier than paternal instinct so if you want to feel like a true man then you should watch some K-On! and Precure.
Apr 21, 2023 4:23 PM

Aug 2018
s.CRY.ed is my pick for manliest anime. Very underrated too. It should have at least an 8 MAL score.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9068 by animeboilolz »»
26 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

91 by Zarutaku »»
41 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates.

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

48 by Styx_Thistle »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

24 by Spunkert »»
44 minutes ago

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

15 by Spunkert »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.