Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2018 8:41 AM

Apr 2016
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
This is great. Don't think it's mindblowing but it's still executed very well. My only problem was the predictability from half-way through the series.

I don't think the novel is very different, but I'll buy it nonetheless. Might as well buy Yoru Sumino's other novels too.
Major_GilbertSep 3, 2018 8:44 AM

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Dec 26, 2020 11:08 PM
Feb 2016
Pretty nice. Kinda disappointed her classmate sucks so bad tho
Jan 4, 2021 10:33 PM

Apr 2019
this was such a good read, loved it.

Jan 4, 2021 10:34 PM

Apr 2019
Major_Gilbert said:
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
This is great. Don't think it's mindblowing but it's still executed very well. My only problem was the predictability from half-way through the series.

I don't think the novel is very different, but I'll buy it nonetheless. Might as well buy Yoru Sumino's other novels too.
Yeah I could predict it really easily ever since the first girl.

Feb 22, 2021 5:47 PM

Jul 2013
just found out this series yesterday and gave it a try.

it was wholesome indeed. although like top guy said.
halfway through this series i pretty much got an inkling who were those 3 women

just not 100% sure.

love the ending that it was all just a dream and all those women were just an alternate route with one of it might be a true route for her.
Mar 8, 2021 7:07 PM

Jul 2020
You can figure out the whole story by the first arc but to me it didn't really ruined my happiness of reading this manga. It was wholesome and a good story overall. Simple and sweet and I hope it gets a anime adaptation someday!
Mar 30, 2021 10:51 PM
Oct 2020
Just binged the manga today. I bought one volume from my local store. I have to be honest, early on I was kind of cringing since the philosophical dialogue did not translate really well to my local language so I decided to continue on online.

It really has a nice concept. Not the most groundbreaking but I really love the way they make Nanoka communicates with her future self. The story implies how can Nanoka end up in the future if she decided to do certain things.
Apr 17, 2021 6:24 AM

Oct 2013
I really liked this short manga. Just finished binging it. Unlike others, I was only able to piece everything together when Abazure-san remembered her catchphrase so it was an oh shit moment for me.

It's great how each future version of Nanoka was able to change her trajectory in life and now it seems her current self is truly happy.
Apr 17, 2021 8:05 PM

Aug 2020
yeah it starts to be predictable but it was done really well and was an oh shit moment for me as well when I realized that everyone Nanoka met was just her in different futures. Especially when everything that was happening to Nanoka happened to them as well and they all dont have proper names.

It's really amazing how a child's mind works. They get so creative with things yet its all straightforward. It's kinda hard to see the world just as it is now.

For a short manga or even just in general, that was really good.
Apr 19, 2021 12:24 AM

Apr 2021
shuffle_017 said:

just not 100% sure.

love the ending that it was all just a dream and all those women were just an alternate route with one of it might be a true route for her.

Same here. Just find it on mal top manga, give it a try. 6 chapter later, give it a place on my fav list.

It is not THE mindblowing thing, but context and situational implementation was very good.

Fall 2022 is the most Unforgettable anime season of all time

Apr 19, 2021 3:22 AM

Jul 2013
Ciezul said:
shuffle_017 said:

just not 100% sure.

Same here. Just find it on mal top manga, give it a try. 6 chapter later, give it a place on my fav list.

It is not THE mindblowing thing, but context and situational implementation was very good.

ikr.
subtle hint and beautiful storytelling.

love it after reading 3-4 chapters of it.
would try to buy its novel and re read it again soon
Jun 16, 2021 4:28 AM

Feb 2019
At first glance, the story looks very simple. It actually is. 'What is happiness' has been done ad nauseam by now. Even so, it managed to do what it set out to accomplish well, which was resonating with me, the reader. Actually, I think I related to Nanoka way too much :v I'm not kidding when I say I actually got a life lesson out of this manga. Just for that, I already consider it a masterpiece. Coupled with how much I liked Nanoka's personality, beliefs and saw myself in her struggles, it just cements that opinion.

Simple, sometimes corny, but captivating short manga.
Jul 11, 2021 6:49 PM
Jan 2016
I seriously need this to get a movie adaptation or something. I just want it to reach so many more people than it's currently reaching as a manga.
Sep 12, 2021 1:55 AM

Jul 2020
I liked it overall, kinda sad that the girl will not roast her classmates anymore
Sep 24, 2021 12:32 AM

Nov 2018
I did not expect that plot twist. Maybe it's because I am a dumbass. Anyway, The correlation between the three and hers is what kinda amazed me the most. I was expecting it to be a simple, SOL manga that where a kid teaches us about life lessons (Although it is indeed that), but seems like I was half wrong. 8/10 for me.
Nov 6, 2021 11:12 PM

Dec 2009
Another great 9/10 story from Yoru Sumino who wrote Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai which I loved.
Eager to read the One-Shot sequel of that, and Kakushigoto once the manga adaption finishes.

The art from Idumi Kirihara is vividly beautiful.
The simple aspects of this manga that I enjoyed the most were Nanoka's hilarious and reinvigorating "Life is like-" analogies (inspired from the Peanuts comics) and Skank-san's bursts of joyful laughter which genuinely made me smile in an instant.

I was very perplexed from the ending and how Nanoka's reality connects to her dream which I felt was a flaw to the story- until I figured it out.
At least to what I believe is the rational explanation to what it is after reviewing the ending several times based on what Nanoka says in the finale.

Skank-san, Minami and Obaachan are clearly future versions of Nanoka from being a grade schooler around the time of her parent's death from a plane crash.
From how Nanoka speaks of them as if they are real and having consciously learned from them through her various times of having that same dream makes me believe that Skank, Minami and Obaachan are not only future versions of herself, but from other timelines, who somehow could communicate to her through her dreams and have helped her since she was a child to not end up like them.

The branch of how Nanoka's growth interconnected with the aid of those three and her past assignment to the question "What is Happiness?" to ultimately how it saved her from a life of suffering compared to Skank, Minami and Obaachan was powerful.
... As a clever, curious and eager to learn about life grade schooler, she's easily charming and a solid round character as we experience her flaws and experiences, with her journey to figuring out what happiness is and what it is to be a better person as best she can which in the end leads to helping Kiryu, to then getting proposed to through his painting. Beautiful.

It's worth a fast reread to better comprehend all of her character through her alternate world timeline versions of Skank, Minami and Obaachan.
... After doing so, I can clearly see the subtle hints and better understand what each character means whenever they mention something vague, even if it's still slightly unclear and open to interpretation, but...

This is what I think;
I believe Obaachan knows that Nanoka is herself from the past from the start of the story since she tells Nanoka that "You have the power to see into the future[...]".
Although, even though the phenomenon of how the power works for each of them is unclear me, it's clear that they all have that power since Nanoka tells us that they saved her, as she did.
When Skank is implied of having that same power, Obaachan wonders as if Skank is unaware of it from being mentally stuck in the past-
As for Minami, at some point she wakes from her sleep, saying "I had that same dream again."- ... I'm not sure if it's a legitimate dream or another "alternate time travel dream" from the one she's in now with Nanoka. ...even though having another "power dream" inside a power dream seems ludicrous.

Moving on. I believe Minami never went to high school after her parent's death, thus wore a used school uniform with the name tag still present. I also think she realized who Nanoka was after she heard her analogy of how life is like a fridge. I think before that she was uncertain, but was certain after.
If she had doubts, maybe that dream she had and when Nanoka spoke of her parents is when Minami was fully aware, but I think she was after that analogy since she frequently speaks to Nanoka as if comprehending the truth in her conversations from knowing it by experience of who she was as a grade schooler- from the way she criticizes Nanoka of her character from the start.
In the end, I believe Minami is truthful to Nanoka's promise to "rewrite" her own life in her own timeline.
I think she travelled back to her world somehow since she did her role- Although who knows exactly how any of that magic works or what and where it's from, but Nanoka thinks they came to save her, conscious of it or not. Except for Obaachan who I think is the one who created this dream world to save herself.

I can't figure out what Minami's handkerchief and Nanoka's memories of her story vanishing means though, except for simply waking up to her world, away from the intertwined dream world they're all in. 'Curious how even Nanoka's cat is in her (the) dream world as a younger version.

Kiryu's personal struggle of insecurity from judgement and Nanoka's development to understand that, with the help of the others and her teacher is nice.
Skank-san without a doubt is the easiest representation of showing her comparison to Nanoka, to the point of Skank laughing "we're so alike". It's also clear from the others of how they all sit and ponder the same, or how Skank and Obaachan say "If that's what you think, then that's what you should do." but the comparisons are more frequent with Skank-san since they're the closest and talk together the most;
Including the moment where Nanoka defends Kiryu by mocking his bullies, to which Skank relates to the feeling of interfering to things she dislikes. I love that.

As the darkest version of Nanoka, Skank-san's past is the most intriguing.
Starting from never having fallen in love by giving up on Kiryu by thinking him as just a coward. Hating everyone who disliked her for being arrogant of her intelligence that she attained from hard work of studying for self-worth. Without parents, who died on an airplane crash. Loss of passion of being a novelist. Depressed. Self-sabotaging herself with abuse of several drugs, and selling herself for money.
Leading to the thought of suicide, but... what saved her was Nanoka in this dream world in which they're held in until they save themselves.
... The moment Nanoka mentions Kiryu's name, and Skank-san realizes who she is as she cries and hugs little Nanoka is amazing. Powerful scene.

After that, Nanoka's growth of overall empathy (thanks to everyone) and comforting of Kiryu to go back to school together is beautiful. Including how he uses her breathing technique to calm down and state his happiness of being next to her to the class.
... In the end. I believe that cat may be God who's been guiding the young Nanoka, who granted to wish of Obaachan, who she tells Nanoka "God let me meet you, Naachan." ... even though Obaachan somehow met back with Kiryuu, fell in love and is genuinely happy with her life, she wanted to save her Minami and Skank from their pain, and ultimately the young Nanoka from all of the suffering they went through. What's odd though is how they all have "that same dream", even after our Nanoka succeeding in having the best life for herself, she still has that dream. After that, the message is that we can have hope and make our own futures.

(I might organize this better later, since I was doing it in realtime)
waalex11Dec 19, 2021 11:16 PM
Mar 26, 2022 2:26 PM

Apr 2018
I felt that it was fast the end of what I expected. But I was very taken with it and a lot of things fell into place quite well. Predictable but necessary to understand.

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
Jun 23, 2022 7:15 AM

Mar 2018
I thought the "twist" per-se wasn't that obvious and through me in for a loop when, not only her friend disappearing, but that the whole experience was just a dream.

I really liked this manga and the message it has tried to express: to define your own happiness and not to be held down by what others think.
Jul 26, 2022 1:50 PM

Nov 2020
Well unlike others I figured it out on like 10th chapter, so it was pretty entertaining to me. It was really short but very powerfull and full of advices and facts about life! The ending is pretty good to me and I'm glad Nanoka lives her life happy and good now!
Sorry for my english xD!

RIP Kentaro Miura :(
RIP Akira Toriyama :(

Oct 14, 2022 4:48 AM

Jan 2021
Found this manga by chance in an auto recommendation and ended up enjoying myself so much, it also cleansed me off another series I just finished a few hours ago.

Nothing but praise all over for how such a great story was told and I'm on the train of this getting a movie adaptation one day but I'll keep my expectations low though.

Did not see the plot twist coming like the rest of the reviewers though.

Strong series overall, definitely one I'll be remembering for a long time. I'm really thankful Nanoka is going out to live her life happily now.
Feb 23, 2023 3:38 AM

Dec 2009
I've just read this three times now, and it is amazing as the first time.
My favorite best scenes are when both future versions of Nanoka realize who she is. When Minami warns Nanoka to apologize to her mother or she'll regret it for the rest of her life (if they die in the plane crash like in her life), or Skank apologizing to Nanoka for treating her life the way she did, and telling Nanoka all about it, as well as letting her call herself Skank-san. 

I'm still uncertain on the theory what each of them dream again. 
They're all within the same dream of Nanoka's, saving her, while she simultaneously saves them. 
Although... when they mention having "that same dream again" within this dream- I guess it's a dream of their past, to remind them of who they were, to better reflect and help Nanoka accordingly in the moment that is best, which also leads them to be saved after by Nanoka herself in her own way. 
Because she can "see into the future". 

I don't think it's the case, but a few things came to mind before the finale. 
First, I forgot and thought the cat was another form of Nanoka guiding her, but it's not. It's a cat with yellow eyes, not red-brown, and Nanoka's future cat. I still guess it's "God" guiding her, based on Obaachan's gratitude of having Nanoka sent to her. 
I also wondered if these future Nanoka's have their own dreams helping other Nanoka's. As if they were all in a save Nanoka dream within dreams inception of aiding themselves through their multiverse, but I think it's just these four, five including the cat, who doesn't seem to exist to the future Nanoka's, whoever that cat is.
I also thought if Obaachan has been through this experience herself, with how content she is with life... but I don't think that's the case, because I believe she finds happiness through living through Nanoka's experiences again and the others to appreciate her life as now, even though she's been through the worse,

because it seems like she's experienced both Minami and Skank's lives, even though Minami lost her parents, Skank hasn't, and Minami is living another form of self-pain compared to Minami's. 
Except, what if Obaachan is an allbeing of herself, who's experienced all three forms; Minami, Skank and Nanoka's lives, but has come to appreciate it all, while saving Nanoka from any pain that they've lived. 

Who knows. It's fun to wonder, but I do wish I'd know the exact fact from the author's perspective. 
Truly, a beautiful amazing message to life's happiness and accepting who you are, even through the hardship, whatever it may be. 

It's intriguing how both Skank and Minami's lives are different. 
Minami lost her parents to the plane crash, leading her to quit being a novelist early, cutting herself and dropping out to escape reality.
While Skank grew up to be incredibly educated after she was betrayed by classmates and decided to befriend no one. Which lead to drugs and throwing her life away after she realized she wasn't happy, even after she reached great intelligence, because she had no one to praise her. 
Each realizing their own happiness today, thanks to Nanoka, and bettering their future in real life. out of the dream. 

For Minami, happiness was to be acknowledged, for Skank, thinking about someone else, Kiryu, having friends, and Obaachan, being able to say that she's happy right now, as she nears her death. Content with the life of happiness she's lived. 

"Life is like... how everthing shines with hope-- and it's yours right now." Beautiful. Excellent manga. The romance in the end is fairly sweet too.
Nov 9, 2023 11:16 AM

Jul 2021
loved it a lot. it was short and sweet but it managed to get me teary-eyed several times. the whole plot was really well put together and because i didn't realise that those 3 were actually the possible future version until late that i was able to properly enjoy till she woke up from her dream in present time. read it all in a single sitting, had a blast.

the only message i'm taking away from this is that our happiness lies in our own hands/actions.

overall, 10/10. absolutely lovely.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 3, 12:14 PM

Aug 2013
We had a good start, the atmosphere darkened from time to time and I really liked the way the children's perspective was shown. Overall it was a relaxing and heartwarming story, but there were many repetitive dialogues about human emotions and it felt like shoujo rather than seinen with the flowers in the background all the time.

I'd have preferred if the series focused on psychology instead of going around having dreams. Imo, it would have made more sense if it was revealed that Nanoka has been treated for a mental decease like hallucinating or something like that. Anyway I liked Abazure-san the most, her characteristics were executed very well, all of her messages and expressions were realistic and relatable.

More topics from this board

» [SPOILER] Question for the readers

Yadava98 - Aug 30, 2022

10 by PraiseTheCoffee »»
Apr 19, 2:21 PM

» Will this get a movie adaptation ?

Drakengard1 - Aug 20, 2021

8 by TsutanaiFuun »»
Nov 9, 2023 11:12 AM

Poll: » Mata, Onaji Yume wo Miteita Chapter 5 Discussion

vF_Wackiier - Jun 5, 2022

2 by SamuraiNinja1 »»
Feb 11, 2023 1:59 PM

Poll: » Mata, Onaji Yume wo Miteita Chapter 11 Discussion

krejola - Jul 26, 2022

0 by krejola »»
Jul 26, 2022 1:30 PM

Poll: » Mata, Onaji Yume wo Miteita Chapter 10 Discussion

vF_Wackiier - Jun 22, 2022

1 by krejola »»
Jul 26, 2022 1:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.