Forum Settings
Forums
Grand Blue Dreaming
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 26, 2021 8:57 AM

Feb 2020
I think that by them revealing in the recent saga that Iori and Chisa are not blood-related, they hinted rather strongly that both of them are a thing.
LDKi said:
I don't think the story will end with a clear winner tbh.
Exactly. It's just not that kind of series.

It's pretty obvious that Chisa is the best fit, though. Although I'd much rather see Sakurako or Nanaka beat her to the punch.
Alex796Jun 25, 2021 1:52 AM
Jun 7, 2021 4:15 AM

May 2007
yaboku_sama said:
Gazz said:
Chisa is the prettiest in the series but she is his cousin. Azusa is the hottest but Iori is way out of her league. Both of them are not the best for Iori imo. (Azusa did tell Iori that she likes him)

Aina is good. She's smart, cute, and with common sense (except when drunk). But my vote goes to Sakurako. Two of them together is very funny. She reminds me of Ryouji and Taiga. The cat and dog like relationship yet cares each other. Too bad only a few recognize that pairing.

Hehe! She declared War.

Sakurako gets my vote too.
Jun 7, 2021 5:01 AM

Nov 2020
Aina should as she was really the first one trying to pursue Iori, but Chisa is a great choice as well so I am split.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2021 5:01 AM

Nov 2020
Aina should as she was really the first one trying to pursue Iori, but Chisa is a great choice as well so I am split.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2021 6:30 AM

Feb 2020
Chisa and Iori have a really good relationship, but I never saw them as a couple despite the oh-so-many accidents they've had. I really doubt either Chisa or Iori think the same way about each other.
Azusa and Iori. Never happening. Same with Nanaka.
Sakurako is here to stay no doubt. At the moment, it doesn't look like she has genuine feelings, but there's plenty room for development.
Aina is the obvious answer imo. Yeah sure, she can get annoying at times and doesn't shoot her shots (which is why I think a lot of people have an agenda against her), but I can't help but think Iori will end up with Aina and from the looks of it, Inoue might be taking that route as well.

But in the end, I want this whole love part of the story to be a very casual, GB-like thing. It almost never ends well when writers decide to explore the love aspect of an otherwise perfect story.
Jun 7, 2021 7:43 AM
Feb 2020
I prefer Kohei and Aina
Jun 20, 2021 8:26 PM
Jul 2018
It's obviously chisa....

eventhough they were cousins ​​it didn't matter because they weren't related by blood.
Jun 22, 2021 9:48 AM

Dec 2020
Nuh kohei is best for iori
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dec 12, 2021 8:02 PM
May 2021
TsukuyomiREKT said:
Vivekananda said:
I had expected Aina to receive more votes.

I love Cakey, she's one of my favorite characters in the series. I'd hate to see her get her heart broken, but the chemistry between Chisa and Iori is just too strong. A majority of love triangles end up with someone getting hurt, and sadly, I think that's gonna be Cakey.
I like Cakey too. But sakurako is also a good choice for Iori. I feel like I prefer Kouhei x Cakey but still want Iori to consider her as a possible love interest just as Sakurako and Chisa
Dec 14, 2021 12:46 AM
Aug 2021
Look, if there is a "winner", it's going to be Chisa, and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. I would prefer it was Sakurako to be 100% honest, but I know that's not gonna happen, and I'm fine with it being Chisa. While Chisa has been the slow burn (multiple diving trips, chestnut picking etc etc) in the space of like 10 chapters, Sakurako (in my opinion) blew her out of the water. HOWEVER, notice how (as of ch74) Sakurako has not featured at all in what, 2/3 chapters? She's not as important, at least in Inoue's opinion. It would've been interesting to see her reaction to hypnotised Chisa fawning over Iori.

I also don't like the trope that characters can never dabble in other love interests. They must always find "the one" before having a relationship and then it's happily ever after. I think it'd be nice to have Iori in a coupla months long relationship with Sakurako, and then if needs be, they realise they aren't right for each other (although at this point, they've already gotten past their points of difference, and she still likes him), they break up and he realises he actually likes Chisa.

Aina has ZERO chance at the win. Iori has never once expressed romantic or sexual attraction to her. She's been bro-zoned from the beginning.

My actual order (in a hypothetical world where everyone is on even footing) of best partners for Iori:

1. Sakurako
2. Azusa
3. Chisa
4. Nanaka
5. Kohei
6. Any of Aina's friends
7. Any of Sakurako's friends
8. Maya (Kaya-sama)
9. The weird German otaku chick
10. Kotobuki
11. Tokita
12. Lalako-tan dakimakura
13. Any of the other 4 Scum Squad members
14. Aina
Dec 14, 2021 8:59 AM

Mar 2021
Chisa all the way
Kebako is cute, but I am finding her preety annoying

(In eva too, red hair grill was more successful than blue hair grill in terms of romance)
Dec 14, 2021 9:02 AM

Mar 2021
FGtheMaster said:
Vivekananda said:

That's true i guess,Cakey might be sad though i feel if Iori ens up with Chisa she might accept with teary smile.

Another member for the rejection squad.

Yooo hanekawaa
Goddamn imma feelin sad now
Dec 15, 2021 6:58 AM

Dec 2020
I expected sakurako to get less votes but she is even lower than aina? Did we read the same manga? Sakurako and kitahara legit has the best chemistry in the show, they are the fun couple of the show. Also how aina got more votes than sakurako?, she has 0 chances to end up being with Iori. Anyways either you are a sakurako fan or aina or Azusa fan we all know end game will be Iori and chisa, and I am fine with it tbh.
HeadpattsDec 15, 2021 7:04 AM
Dec 15, 2021 7:08 AM

Jan 2021
Chisa, otherwise Sakurako
Dec 19, 2021 8:50 PM
Jul 2018
Assuming the series will actually have a “winner” it’s going to be Chisa. However right now, I think Iori only sees everyone as friends.

I don’t think Aina has much hope of getting beyond being friends with Iori.

Both Azusa and Sakurako are two women Iori is more sexual attracted to than “being in love with.”

And while it will take time to develop still, Chisa and Iori have sort of had the married couple routine down for a while now. Cooking together, talking about recipes, and how open they can talk with each other about their problems.

Again though, that’s assuming the series actually does anything with any of the relationships and doesn’t just set things up to subvert it for a laugh like it’s done the last few chapters. Not that it’s necessarily bad, but it makes any shipping rather mute.
removed-userDec 19, 2021 9:36 PM
Dec 19, 2021 11:48 PM
May 2019
The obvious winner seems to be Chisa, especially once the whole them not really being blood relatives was revealed.

Sakurako has some pretty good chemistry with Iori, but that type of character hardly ever wins so I already know she's gonna take the L.

Aina has no chance and right now it seems that her and Kohei might be an item, since he definitely has developed feelings for her.

Azusa is also unlikely since she's a bit older, out of Iori's league and she already asked him if he wanted to smash and he passed. Since then they've had no sexual tension and she's become more a big sis.
Dec 24, 2021 11:21 AM
Sep 2017
First off, I see a lot of people saying"it's gonna be Chisa, but I prefer this other girl" guys, it's who SHOULD end up with Iori, not who IS GOING TO. And my answer is based on that. That said, here is my opinion:

I'll be honest, this might an unpopular opinion but I REALLY want Iori to end up with Sakurako, I mean, as far as I know, Chisa is ace, if not she just really doesn't give a fuck about romance, plus, I don't think they have that much chemistry, so she's out. If Chisa and Iori don't have much chemistry Iori and Aina have negative chemistry, they barely talk to each other, and when they do, it's just either Iori making fun of her, or Aina telling him not to do something stupid or being jealous for no reason. It is also the epidemy of a one-sided crush and I can't see it becoming anything else. In fact, I think she would be better off with Kohei since he is far more caring and sensible than Iori is. Now, Sakurako and Iori in my eyes are kind of perfect for each other, they are both assholes, with a sensitive and caring side that comes out every once in a while, they have plenty of chemistry, both seem to have this weird mix of both actually caring about each other and trying to take advantage of each other. You'd think this would be toxic, but I think their bad tendencies kind of cancel each other out and bring out the best in each other. Maybe it wouldn't be the healthiest relationship but it's really the only one I see happening unless they did a complete 180 of Chisa's character or completely changed the dynamic of Aina and Iori. Second to her, I would actually put Azusa, I know it's pretty damn unlikely, and there really isn't much there, but I think it would still work better than Aina or Chisa. As for Nanaka...... why? Just why?
Matt108Dec 24, 2021 11:29 AM
Dec 24, 2021 5:53 PM

Feb 2021
Okabe108 said:
First off, I see a lot of people saying"it's gonna be Chisa, but I prefer this other girl" guys, it's who SHOULD end up with Iori, not who IS GOING TO. And my answer is based on that. That said, here is my opinion:

I'll be honest, this might an unpopular opinion but I REALLY want Iori to end up with Sakurako, I mean, as far as I know, Chisa is ace, if not she just really doesn't give a fuck about romance, plus, I don't think they have that much chemistry, so she's out. If Chisa and Iori don't have much chemistry Iori and Aina have negative chemistry, they barely talk to each other, and when they do, it's just either Iori making fun of her, or Aina telling him not to do something stupid or being jealous for no reason. It is also the epidemy of a one-sided crush and I can't see it becoming anything else. In fact, I think she would be better off with Kohei since he is far more caring and sensible than Iori is. Now, Sakurako and Iori in my eyes are kind of perfect for each other, they are both assholes, with a sensitive and caring side that comes out every once in a while, they have plenty of chemistry, both seem to have this weird mix of both actually caring about each other and trying to take advantage of each other. You'd think this would be toxic, but I think their bad tendencies kind of cancel each other out and bring out the best in each other. Maybe it wouldn't be the healthiest relationship but it's really the only one I see happening unless they did a complete 180 of Chisa's character or completely changed the dynamic of Aina and Iori. Second to her, I would actually put Azusa, I know it's pretty damn unlikely, and there really isn't much there, but I think it would still work better than Aina or Chisa. As for Nanaka...... why? Just why?

Agree, Iori will be better with sakurako imo
Dec 26, 2021 6:43 AM
Jul 2018
Okabe108 said:

My biggest problem with Sakurako is see's too self-centered for Iori. I think she likes him when she can be the center of his attention, but Iori inevitably will get dragged off into some stupid hijinks. We've already seen this when she got mad when his friends dragged him away in the 2nd Okinawa arc and when he paid for all of Chisa's stuff but not hers.

Back when Kohei asked Iori what his ideal woman is, he basically described Chisa, one of those things being someone who has their own hobbies. That's completely in conflict with Sakurako's character right now, as the most recent time she appeared at the time of writing, is her trying to be interested in the hobbies he likes. I personally liked Sakurako and Iori a lot more when they were just assholes to each other, and her falling in love with Iori after he was nice to her once, similar to what happened with Aina and the Tennis Club at the beginning of the series, sort of ruined what made their relationship interesting in the first place for me.
Dec 26, 2021 7:12 AM

Jul 2020
the first who confess is the one will lose, we know that is unwritten rules in a story. but i gotta say. sakurako x iori has a great vibe to me although chisa x iori are starting to sail with these latest chapters.if i am to chose who would be the winner, then ill go with sakurako
Dec 26, 2021 10:33 AM
Sep 2017
MahorobaDensetsu said:
Okabe108 said:

My biggest problem with Sakurako is see's too self-centered for Iori. I think she likes him when she can be the center of his attention, but Iori inevitably will get dragged off into some stupid hijinks. We've already seen this when she got mad when his friends dragged him away in the 2nd Okinawa arc and when he paid for all of Chisa's stuff but not hers.

Back when Kohei asked Iori what his ideal woman is, he basically described Chisa, one of those things being someone who has their own hobbies. That's completely in conflict with Sakurako's character right now, as the most recent time she appeared at the time of writing, is her trying to be interested in the hobbies he likes. I personally liked Sakurako and Iori a lot more when they were just assholes to each other, and her falling in love with Iori after he was nice to her once, similar to what happened with Aina and the Tennis Club at the beginning of the series, sort of ruined what made their relationship interesting in the first place for me.

I guess, but I don't really see this as a problem, not so far anyway, and I've seen jealousy far worse, in fact, I think Aina is worse cause she is nothing to him and she is still jealous when Sakurako at least declared her feelings before being jealous, in my mind, you have to at least declare your interest before you start getting possessive and I get why Sakurako would get jealous, she had just declared herself to him and besides him avoiding the topic, he prioritized a relationship she knows is fake, in fact, I don't even know why he bothered when in every other instance he makes no effort to hide that. Maybe cause he brought her there? Even so. Then again I really don't know why the writer bothers with this fake relationship shit, it's basically my only real complaint about the series. I mean if I was making this I probably wouldn't write Aina this way either, since I'm not into one-sided crushes with no chemistry, but it leads to some cute moments so I can let it slide.

I really don't remember that, I recall him dodging the question repeatedly, what chapter was this? Anyway, I think even if someone has what you desire in someone it really doesn't matter if there is no chemistry, not in the romantic sense at least, I think Iori and Chisa are ok as friends, not even that great, and have next to no romantic chemistry, in fact, Sakurako pointed this out and she is right. Plus, again, I get the feeling Chisa is ace. As for there being better as being assholes to each other, you might be right that might be better, but if that was all it was going to amount to I'd probably switch her and Aina out, make her a main character, cause if you're gonna make a one-sided romance make it funny at least, in the current story structure she fits well as a romantic B-plot in my opinion. And I wouldn't say she fell in love after him being nice to him once, there was real chemistry from the beginning and I felt it, that one moment was more like a catalyst to something that was already there. It's not even comparable to Aina cause first they did and still have no chemistry, second, they were on a far more equal basis both making fun of each other instead of just Iori making fun of Aina and she taking it, in fact, there is no particular reason for her to fall for Iori instead of Kohei, while Sakurako and Iori just work in my opinion.
Dec 27, 2021 9:41 AM
Jul 2018
Okabe108 said:
MahorobaDensetsu said:

I guess, but I don't really see this as a problem, not so far anyway, and I've seen jealousy far worse, in fact, I think Aina is worse cause she is nothing to him and she is still jealous when Sakurako at least declared her feelings before being jealous, in my mind, you have to at least declare your interest before you start getting possessive and I get why Sakurako would get jealous, she had just declared herself to him and besides him avoiding the topic, he prioritized a relationship she knows is fake, in fact, I don't even know why he bothered when in every other instance he makes no effort to hide that. Maybe cause he brought her there? Even so. Then again I really don't know why the writer bothers with this fake relationship shit, it's basically my only real complaint about the series. I mean if I was making this I probably wouldn't write Aina this way either, since I'm not into one-sided crushes with no chemistry, but it leads to some cute moments so I can let it slide.

I really don't remember that, I recall him dodging the question repeatedly, what chapter was this? Anyway, I think even if someone has what you desire in someone it really doesn't matter if there is no chemistry, not in the romantic sense at least, I think Iori and Chisa are ok as friends, not even that great, and have next to no romantic chemistry, in fact, Sakurako pointed this out and she is right. Plus, again, I get the feeling Chisa is ace. As for there being better as being assholes to each other, you might be right that might be better, but if that was all it was going to amount to I'd probably switch her and Aina out, make her a main character, cause if you're gonna make a one-sided romance make it funny at least, in the current story structure she fits well as a romantic B-plot in my opinion. And I wouldn't say she fell in love after him being nice to him once, there was real chemistry from the beginning and I felt it, that one moment was more like a catalyst to something that was already there. It's not even comparable to Aina cause first they did and still have no chemistry, second, they were on a far more equal basis both making fun of each other instead of just Iori making fun of Aina and she taking it, in fact, there is no particular reason for her to fall for Iori instead of Kohei, while Sakurako and Iori just work in my opinion.

I think we both agree that Aina is the worst option but if you don't see the chemistry between Iori and Chisa then you haven't been paying attention. The author has made it pretty clear that Iori and Chisa have the most chemistry with each other at various points in the manga.

That said all the stuff with Sakurako knowing Chisa and Iori aren't really dating I think is an example of some of the poorest writing in the series. She basically first confirms it from Iori's friends... the same friends that would try to kill Iori if he ever showed any public display of affection towards Chisa. Sakurako confronts him about it and also asks Iori out but won't let him give his answer. (terribly generic romance trope.) It has yet to clarify what Chisa and Iori's relationship is to Sakurako and when the two meet in Iori's room, theoretically confirming that Chisa and Iori live together she barely has any reaction. If you were interested in a guy and he is living with another girl, I would assume you'd want to confirm what type of relationship they have pretty quickly. Most of the stuff with Sakurako since she started liking Iori just feels like a cheap and quick way to increase the amount of female ecchi in the series, just bait to get more manga sales. Especially since the author seems to barely remember Azusa is a character these days.
Dec 27, 2021 11:26 AM
Sep 2017
MahorobaDensetsu said:
Okabe108 said:

I think we both agree that Aina is the worst option but if you don't see the chemistry between Iori and Chisa then you haven't been paying attention. The author has made it pretty clear that Iori and Chisa have the most chemistry with each other at various points in the manga.

That said all the stuff with Sakurako knowing Chisa and Iori aren't really dating I think is an example of some of the poorest writing in the series. She basically first confirms it from Iori's friends... the same friends that would try to kill Iori if he ever showed any public display of affection towards Chisa. Sakurako confronts him about it and also asks Iori out but won't let him give his answer. (terribly generic romance trope.) It has yet to clarify what Chisa and Iori's relationship is to Sakurako and when the two meet in Iori's room, theoretically confirming that Chisa and Iori live together she barely has any reaction. If you were interested in a guy and he is living with another girl, I would assume you'd want to confirm what type of relationship they have pretty quickly. Most of the stuff with Sakurako since she started liking Iori just feels like a cheap and quick way to increase the amount of female ecchi in the series, just bait to get more manga sales. Especially since the author seems to barely remember Azusa is a character these days.

Pretty much everyone agrees about that, she is not a bad character but I feel this whole Iori crush plotline of hers is holding her back. Well then, by all means, give examples, as many as you want. Just please list the chapters they happen in.

Wait, what? I'm pretty sure she figured it out from the fact that they don't act like a couple at all. And was is my point, they really don't care who the other dates, or who they are attracted to, Chisa confirms this and so far it seems Iori feels the same, sure he is attracted to her, but that doesn't mean much. Even if they have chemistry it's as friends, which I agree they somewhat do, but if that is enough to ship them we would have to take the Kohei x Iori shippers seriously. But either way, they don't really have chemistry as lovers, like, at all, Iori was more romantic chemistry with any other female character besides Aina. Yeah, I would have much rathered he give his answer right away, even if it was negative. You're right about that. But her not reacting makes sense, not like she could make him move, she is his cousin, and that could break the mood she was trying to establish, so she kept her cool and moved on. I mean, she already did, he told her there was nothing between them. I mean it's been 40 chapters in the wait, you can't say he brought it out of nowhere if you didn't see the romantic tension between them in chapters 30-40 I give you the same answer you gave me about Chisa: you weren't paying attention. I guess that could have been part of the reason, but in series about swimming, you can put your characters in swimsuits at pretty much any time, so I really don't see a point in having a character just for ecchi it does not make sense, bring back Azusa and you solve that problem, or even give Nanaka a larger role, either one would be less work and the fans would love it. Honestly, the more likely option is that he just wanted to introduce another potential romantic partner to shake things up and make things more uncertain before just making him get with Chisa in the end, which I admit, will most likely happen. You can criticize that by itself, but I find it better than the alternative of nothing until right before the end.
Dec 27, 2021 6:29 PM
Jul 2018
Okabe108 said:
MahorobaDensetsu said:

Pretty much everyone agrees about that, she is not a bad character but I feel this whole Iori crush plotline of hers is holding her back. Well then, by all means, give examples, as many as you want. Just please list the chapters they happen in.

Wait, what? I'm pretty sure she figured it out from the fact that they don't act like a couple at all. And was is my point, they really don't care who the other dates, or who they are attracted to, Chisa confirms this and so far it seems Iori feels the same, sure he is attracted to her, but that doesn't mean much. Even if they have chemistry it's as friends, which I agree they somewhat do, but if that is enough to ship them we would have to take the Kohei x Iori shippers seriously. But either way, they don't really have chemistry as lovers, like, at all, Iori was more romantic chemistry with any other female character besides Aina. Yeah, I would have much rathered he give his answer right away, even if it was negative. You're right about that. But her not reacting makes sense, not like she could make him move, she is his cousin, and that could break the mood she was trying to establish, so she kept her cool and moved on. I mean, she already did, he told her there was nothing between them. I mean it's been 40 chapters in the wait, you can't say he brought it out of nowhere if you didn't see the romantic tension between them in chapters 30-40 I give you the same answer you gave me about Chisa: you weren't paying attention. I guess that could have been part of the reason, but in series about swimming, you can put your characters in swimsuits at pretty much any time, so I really don't see a point in having a character just for ecchi it does not make sense, bring back Azusa and you solve that problem, or even give Nanaka a larger role, either one would be less work and the fans would love it. Honestly, the more likely option is that he just wanted to introduce another potential romantic partner to shake things up and make things more uncertain before just making him get with Chisa in the end, which I admit, will most likely happen. You can criticize that by itself, but I find it better than the alternative of nothing until right before the end.

It’s not Sakurako liking Iori came out of thin air, it’s how generic its been handled. Any slightly harem based romance is going to have a character like Sakurako. When she wasn’t interested in him romantically, when she preferred Otoya was the highlight of their relationship, much like people thinking Iori and Chisa work better as friends. Iori and Sakurako work better as asshole coworkers.

I dont think it’s potentially better than nothing, as the alternative so far seems to be a series that doesn’t nearly handle characters or relations as well as it’s sister series, Temple.

But this all probably the author fanning the flames of a ship war to boost sales. Similarly, hypnotizing Chisa and literally abandoning it in the next chapter so she can have a few pages of her acting cute was also a dumb writing choice imo.
removed-userDec 27, 2021 7:23 PM
Dec 28, 2021 6:22 AM
Sep 2017
MahorobaDensetsu said:
Okabe108 said:

It’s not Sakurako liking Iori came out of thin air, it’s how generic its been handled. Any slightly harem based romance is going to have a character like Sakurako. When she wasn’t interested in him romantically, when she preferred Otoya was the highlight of their relationship, much like people thinking Iori and Chisa work better as friends. Iori and Sakurako work better as asshole coworkers.

I dont think it’s potentially better than nothing, as the alternative so far seems to be a series that doesn’t nearly handle characters or relations as well as it’s sister series, Temple.

But this all probably the author fanning the flames of a ship war to boost sales. Similarly, hypnotizing Chisa and literally abandoning it in the next chapter so she can have a few pages of her acting cute was also a dumb writing choice imo.

Well, I don't read that many harens so forgive me if I'm wrong, but if you mean that she acts like the more honest one that proclaims their love early and loses all chance to win the process, like say the redhead in Nisekoi, first I haven't seen any other example, second, even if there are a hundred more of those, if they are anything like the one from Nisekoi, there is one thing that makes it different. Actual chemistry, not to make this about Nisekoi, but those two have absolutely no chemistry, and I'll assume the vast majority of cases similar to this are the same, Iori x Sakurak isn't. Sure, they were great as coworkers as well, but the differences are: 1-they just have more chemistry than him and Chisa, 2-they never rule each other out as a romantic option, unlike Chisa 3-They have more in common at least in terms of personality, 4-They are attracted to each other, 5-They actually care about each other, I don't get the feeling Chisa truly cares about Iori or anything besides the sea for that matter. In summary, you could say both cases are similar, but they really are not, Sakurako and Iori could easily develop into an actual relationship IRL, while Chisa x Iori can only exist as long as the writer forces it to.

I haven't read temple, but just because it's done better elsewhere doesn't mean that it has no merits. It's just not as good, and that is fine. Not like I'm never watching a 6 or 7 out of 10 again just cause I could watch a 10 out of 10 on loop.

So... basically what I said. Yeah, that was pretty dumb, I'm more worried that Kohei's love for Aina will always be labelled a joke from now on, killing any chance of them getting together,
Dec 28, 2021 8:31 AM
Jul 2018
Okabe108 said:
MahorobaDensetsu said:

Well, I don't read that many harens so forgive me if I'm wrong, but if you mean that she acts like the more honest one that proclaims their love early and loses all chance to win the process, like say the redhead in Nisekoi, first I haven't seen any other example, second, even if there are a hundred more of those, if they are anything like the one from Nisekoi, there is one thing that makes it different. Actual chemistry, not to make this about Nisekoi, but those two have absolutely no chemistry, and I'll assume the vast majority of cases similar to this are the same, Iori x Sakurak isn't. Sure, they were great as coworkers as well, but the differences are: 1-they just have more chemistry than him and Chisa, 2-they never rule each other out as a romantic option, unlike Chisa 3-They have more in common at least in terms of personality, 4-They are attracted to each other, 5-They actually care about each other, I don't get the feeling Chisa truly cares about Iori or anything besides the sea for that matter. In summary, you could say both cases are similar, but they really are not, Sakurako and Iori could easily develop into an actual relationship IRL, while Chisa x Iori can only exist as long as the writer forces it to.

I haven't read temple, but just because it's done better elsewhere doesn't mean that it has no merits. It's just not as good, and that is fine. Not like I'm never watching a 6 or 7 out of 10 again just cause I could watch a 10 out of 10 on loop.

So... basically what I said. Yeah, that was pretty dumb, I'm more worried that Kohei's love for Aina will always be labelled a joke from now on, killing any chance of them getting together,

All the romance is a joke at this point. Guarantee Sakurako will continue to be used as something almost happening between her and Iori but something will always interrupt them, because Grand Blue very quickly has become a generic harem.
Dec 28, 2021 11:21 AM
Sep 2017
MahorobaDensetsu said:
Okabe108 said:

All the romance is a joke at this point. Guarantee Sakurako will continue to be used as something almost happening between her and Iori but something will always interrupt them, because Grand Blue very quickly has become a generic harem.

Is it a joke? Depends on your definition of a joke, by harem standards, this is ok, maybe even good. Yeah, no one disagrees about that, we just disagree if it has merit either way. I wouldn't call it generic, as said, by Harem standards you could be doing a lot worse. First off the protagonist isn't total shit, like 90% of harems, also it's just better in general to most other harems I've seen, Nisekoi comes to mind, where the protagonist has chemistry with no one, Absolute duo which is just stupid in every way without being funny, or the first season of Quintessential quintuplets which is just bland. Grand blue even as just a harem is none of those things.
Dec 28, 2021 8:26 PM
Jul 2018
Okabe108 said:
MahorobaDensetsu said:

Is it a joke? Depends on your definition of a joke, by harem standards, this is ok, maybe even good. Yeah, no one disagrees about that, we just disagree if it has merit either way. I wouldn't call it generic, as said, by Harem standards you could be doing a lot worse. First off the protagonist isn't total shit, like 90% of harems, also it's just better in general to most other harems I've seen, Nisekoi comes to mind, where the protagonist has chemistry with no one, Absolute duo which is just stupid in every way without being funny, or the first season of Quintessential quintuplets which is just bland. Grand blue even as just a harem is none of those things.

Constantly having the characters in romantic situations for nothing to ever happen is generic. Heck there was no real winner in the author’s last series Baka and Test, and doesn’t seem like they care about it here either. Anytime Chisa, Aina, Sakurako or any other girl gets close to Iori remember the author is just pandering to the readers, trying to get you to keep reading and buying the manga, just like every other harem series does for 99% of their run until the last couple of chapters where a winner is arbitrarily chosen by the author.

It would be great if Iori was shown in an actually relationship with someone for at least a period of the manga, but that’s not going to happen since generic harem antics sells more than interesting character development.

What I’m saying is shipping in general is a waste of time in the series because nothing is ever going to happen and if it does it’ll probably slightly imply Chisa at the very end because she’s main girl and the author/publishing company want to keep as many people on the hook for as long as possible.
Dec 29, 2021 7:42 AM
Sep 2017
MahorobaDensetsu said:
Okabe108 said:

Constantly having the characters in romantic situations for nothing to ever happen is generic. Heck there was no real winner in the author’s last series Baka and Test, and doesn’t seem like they care about it here either. Anytime Chisa, Aina, Sakurako or any other girl gets close to Iori remember the author is just pandering to the readers, trying to get you to keep reading and buying the manga, just like every other harem series does for 99% of their run until the last couple of chapters where a winner is arbitrarily chosen by the author.

It would be great if Iori was shown in an actually relationship with someone for at least a period of the manga, but that’s not going to happen since generic harem antics sells more than interesting character development.

What I’m saying is shipping in general is a waste of time in the series because nothing is ever going to happen and if it does it’ll probably slightly imply Chisa at the very end because she’s main girl and the author/publishing company want to keep as many people on the hook for as long as possible.

Yes, it is, but it doesn't mean it can't be entertaining, and I believe that in Grand Blue's case it is. I mean there are a lot more reasons to read a harem series besides wanting to see who wins, the comedy that comes from it, the inherent fantasy from the harem, the characters themselves, just because it has no clear winner, which you're only assuming it won't, doesn't mean it's bad. I mean, harems do pandering, it's basically inherent to their nature, I can't think of one without some pandering if you're saying the harem parts are killing Grand Blue, IDK what to say to you, most of us are still laughing so as much it's indulging itself with the harem stuff, it's still doing its job. Could it be better without a harem? Maybe but as long as it still makes us laugh I really don't care what it does, and that is the golden rule with any comedy: just make your audience laugh, and as far as I can tell, Grand Blue has more than accomplished this.

Yeah sure, that would be nice, but really, it wouldn't be Grand Blue, it's humour is very hard to integrate into that type of thing. It's not cause it sells less, it's cause not only does it not fit the story, I see no evidence the writer has any skill in that type of writing, and to integrate that type of writing while keeping his unique style would take a lot of skill and some experimenting I'm fairly sure he isn't willing to go through. I love character development but it doesn't fix everything and it isn't even compatible with every type of story.

Then why are you on this forum? We don't care that the author or the publishing company is manipulating us, we know it's gonna be Chisa, we are just having a good time, discussing our thoughts on who, in our minds SHOULD be, not who is GOING to be, and we have fun that way, if you don't I'm really not sure why you're here. You speak as if all that mattered is who wins, but really it's not, it's the journey to it, and we like sharing our thoughts about it and appreciating the characters together as a community. And you don't have to enjoy that, but you also don't need to come here just to tell us that what we're doing is pointless.
Dec 29, 2021 7:48 AM
Sep 2017
ponygobyebye said:
Look, if there is a "winner", it's going to be Chisa, and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. I would prefer it was Sakurako to be 100% honest, but I know that's not gonna happen, and I'm fine with it being Chisa. While Chisa has been the slow burn (multiple diving trips, chestnut picking etc etc) in the space of like 10 chapters, Sakurako (in my opinion) blew her out of the water. HOWEVER, notice how (as of ch74) Sakurako has not featured at all in what, 2/3 chapters? She's not as important, at least in Inoue's opinion. It would've been interesting to see her reaction to hypnotised Chisa fawning over Iori.

I also don't like the trope that characters can never dabble in other love interests. They must always find "the one" before having a relationship and then it's happily ever after. I think it'd be nice to have Iori in a coupla months long relationship with Sakurako, and then if needs be, they realise they aren't right for each other (although at this point, they've already gotten past their points of difference, and she still likes him), they break up and he realises he actually likes Chisa.

Aina has ZERO chance at the win. Iori has never once expressed romantic or sexual attraction to her. She's been bro-zoned from the beginning.

My actual order (in a hypothetical world where everyone is on even footing) of best partners for Iori:

1. Sakurako
2. Azusa
3. Chisa
4. Nanaka
5. Kohei
6. Any of Aina's friends
8. Maya (Kaya-sama)
10. Kotobuki
11. Tokita
14. Aina

First off, completely agree, also putting the Scum Squad members above Aina was a hilarious but surprisingly accurate choice lol.
Dec 29, 2021 8:00 AM
Aug 2021
Okabe108 said:
ponygobyebye said:

1. Sakurako
2. Azusa
3. Chisa
4. Nanaka
5. Kohei
6. Any of Aina's friends
8. Maya (Kaya-sama)
10. Kotobuki
11. Tokita
14. Aina

First off, completely agree, also putting the Scum Squad members above Aina was a hilarious but surprisingly accurate choice lol.
Aina has absolutely zero chance. While she's a fine character in her own right, and I especially like her interactions with her own friends, Iori has NEVER looked at her in a romantic way. Hell, barely even in a lustful way.
Dec 29, 2021 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
Okabe108 said:
MahorobaDensetsu said:

Yes, it is, but it doesn't mean it can't be entertaining, and I believe that in Grand Blue's case it is. I mean there are a lot more reasons to read a harem series besides wanting to see who wins, the comedy that comes from it, the inherent fantasy from the harem, the characters themselves, just because it has no clear winner, which you're only assuming it won't, doesn't mean it's bad. I mean, harems do pandering, it's basically inherent to their nature, I can't think of one without some pandering if you're saying the harem parts are killing Grand Blue, IDK what to say to you, most of us are still laughing so as much it's indulging itself with the harem stuff, it's still doing its job. Could it be better without a harem? Maybe but as long as it still makes us laugh I really don't care what it does, and that is the golden rule with any comedy: just make your audience laugh, and as far as I can tell, Grand Blue has more than accomplished this.

Yeah sure, that would be nice, but really, it wouldn't be Grand Blue, it's humour is very hard to integrate into that type of thing. It's not cause it sells less, it's cause not only does it not fit the story, I see no evidence the writer has any skill in that type of writing, and to integrate that type of writing while keeping his unique style would take a lot of skill and some experimenting I'm fairly sure he isn't willing to go through. I love character development but it doesn't fix everything and it isn't even compatible with every type of story.

Then why are you on this forum? We don't care that the author or the publishing company is manipulating us, we know it's gonna be Chisa, we are just having a good time, discussing our thoughts on who, in our minds SHOULD be, not who is GOING to be, and we have fun that way, if you don't I'm really not sure why you're here. You speak as if all that mattered is who wins, but really it's not, it's the journey to it, and we like sharing our thoughts about it and appreciating the characters together as a community. And you don't have to enjoy that, but you also don't need to come here just to tell us that what we're doing is pointless.

If if you don't care that an author or publishing company is manipulating you're the mindless drone they want you to be. Consume don't think. You don't care if it's the same tropes you can find in a 1000 other series. You don't care that Grand Blue used to have a fairly unique comedic concept of depicting college drinking and hijinks, you don't care that in the last 30 chapters there's been only 1 PaB drinking chapter, the thing that made the series unique in the first place, has been replaced by generic harem tropes. You could probably go read any other harem manga and find out you like it just as much if not more than Grand Blue, but you've already been suckered into this mess of a series.

As far as why I'm here, "Who should Iori end up with" I think it should be no one or Chisa because the author isn't talented enough and lacks the character writing ability to have any other possibilities that make sense. We both agree Aina shouldn't happen but having Sakurako who tried to honey trap as well literally committing sexual battery against Iori is a lot for the author to overcome, and as I said doesn't have the writing ability to make that be okay. Iori would be ending up with his abuser.
Dec 29, 2021 1:25 PM
Sep 2017
MahorobaDensetsu said:
Okabe108 said:

If if you don't care that an author or publishing company is manipulating you're the mindless drone they want you to be. Consume don't think. You don't care if it's the same tropes you can find in a 1000 other series. You don't care that Grand Blue used to have a fairly unique comedic concept of depicting college drinking and hijinks, you don't care that in the last 30 chapters there's been only 1 PaB drinking chapter, the thing that made the series unique in the first place, has been replaced by generic harem tropes. You could probably go read any other harem manga and find out you like it just as much if not more than Grand Blue, but you've already been suckered into this mess of a series.

As far as why I'm here, "Who should Iori end up with" I think it should be no one or Chisa because the author isn't talented enough and lacks the character writing ability to have any other possibilities that make sense. We both agree Aina shouldn't happen but having Sakurako who tried to honey trap as well literally committing sexual battery against Iori is a lot for the author to overcome, and as I said doesn't have the writing ability to make that be okay. Iori would be ending up with his abuser.

there is nothing wrong with just wanting a good time, this is A COMEDY, if you've forgotten if you went there looking for anything else IDK what to tell you, I wasn't looking for Nieitzche or Socrates here and almost no one else was. You make this out like we're all fools for doing so just to feel better about yourself, the reality is we can't do anything about it, and we don't really want to, sure I'l think a LOT when watching legend of the galactic heroes, I'll point out all the Plotholes in Code Geass season 2 (75 BTW) but forgive me for just wanting a comedy to chill out reading and turn my brain off for a few minutes, I'm definitely a neandertal for doing that and you're the all-powerful homo-Deus for taking a COMEDY serious missing the whole point. And for the rest of the paragraph, 1-I do, care, don't assume I don't. 2-It's not ideal, but it's only natural, you really think the writer could keep up with the same type of joke for 6 years? That it would even keep being funny? Imagine they drank literally every single chapter, it would get old. Hell, some of the best chapters were they travelling somewhere like when they went to visit Iori's sister, or the Okinawa trip, where they didn't even drink as far as I recall. 3-Grand blue is my favourite manga, and I generally do not like harems, look at my list, there is probably only one harem that even gets above a 7 and that is Clannad, which is barely a harem and the sequel outright isn't. after that is quintessential quintuplets which is a 5, unless you count Oregairu and Bunny girl senpai which neither are listed as harems and I personally don't count them as such. My point is: I don't like harems and I have no particular reason to want to read any over grand blue. Which in fact, I never said I prefer the harem route they are going for, I simply said it's ok. And if you wanna use that to think of me as a mindless drone or just plain stupid, while also assuming several things about me that are just not true, just to belittle me then I can't do anything to stop you. But I'll ask that you stop doing the latter at the very least.

And for like the fourth time you avoided the question. I didn't ask your opinion, I asked why are you here if you think shipping is a waste of time. That does not answer my question. Anyway, yeah, we can agree about both of these things. It's called the honey pot, and not really since that is used to gain leverage over someone, or get in a position where you can acquire something. She wanted to seduce him, sure, but there is no explicit evidence she was even gonna force him into a relationship after the fact, she could, but under the circumstances, it's all in your head. as for sexual battery:

Definition of Sexual Battery
Noun

1-The act of intentionally or recklessly engaging in, or causing, offensive or UNWANTED sexual contact with a person’s body.

2-An UNWANTED form of sexual contact with an intimate part of someone’s body.

First off, as far as I know, she never touched Iori that way, second, even if she did, do you really think ANY OF IT would be UNWANTED?? This is Iori we're talking about, he doesn't care and already knows her and expects such from her, fuck, I'm pretty sure if a stranger touched him that way that was even moderately attractive he wouldn't mind. The only reason he refused Azusa is cause he thought it was a test and he regrets it. This guy will take any opportunity he can that is like half the humour of the series, in fact, one of the more out of character moments for him was refusing Azusa.
Dec 29, 2021 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
Okabe108 said:
MahorobaDensetsu said:

there is nothing wrong with just wanting a good time, this is A COMEDY, if you've forgotten if you went there looking for anything else IDK what to tell you, I wasn't looking for Nieitzche or Socrates here and almost no one else was. You make this out like we're all fools for doing so just to feel better about yourself, the reality is we can't do anything about it, and we don't really want to, sure I'l think a LOT when watching legend of the galactic heroes, I'll point out all the Plotholes in Code Geass season 2 (75 BTW) but forgive me for just wanting a comedy to chill out reading and turn my brain off for a few minutes, I'm definitely a neandertal for doing that and you're the all-powerful homo-Deus for taking a COMEDY serious missing the whole point. And for the rest of the paragraph, 1-I do, care, don't assume I don't. 2-It's not ideal, but it's only natural, you really think the writer could keep up with the same type of joke for 6 years? That it would even keep being funny? Imagine they drank literally every single chapter, it would get old. Hell, some of the best chapters were they travelling somewhere like when they went to visit Iori's sister, or the Okinawa trip, where they didn't even drink as far as I recall. 3-Grand blue is my favourite manga, and I generally do not like harems, look at my list, there is probably only one harem that even gets above a 7 and that is Clannad, which is barely a harem and the sequel outright isn't. after that is quintessential quintuplets which is a 5, unless you count Oregairu and Bunny girl senpai which neither are listed as harems and I personally don't count them as such. My point is: I don't like harems and I have no particular reason to want to read any over grand blue. Which in fact, I never said I prefer the harem route they are going for, I simply said it's ok. And if you wanna use that to think of me as a mindless drone or just plain stupid, while also assuming several things about me that are just not true, just to belittle me then I can't do anything to stop you. But I'll ask that you stop doing the latter at the very least.

And for like the fourth time you avoided the question. I didn't ask your opinion, I asked why are you here if you think shipping is a waste of time. That does not answer my question. Anyway, yeah, we can agree about both of these things. It's called the honey pot, and not really since that is used to gain leverage over someone, or get in a position where you can acquire something. She wanted to seduce him, sure, but there is no explicit evidence she was even gonna force him into a relationship after the fact, she could, but under the circumstances, it's all in your head. as for sexual battery:

Noun

1-The act of intentionally or recklessly engaging in, or causing, offensive or UNWANTED sexual contact with a person’s body.

First off, as far as I know, she never touched Iori that way, second, even if she did, do you really think ANY OF IT would be UNWANTED?? This is Iori we're talking about, he doesn't care and already knows her and expects such from her, fuck, I'm pretty sure if a stranger touched him that way that was even moderately attractive he wouldn't mind. The only reason he refused Azusa is cause he thought it was a test and he regrets it. This guy will take any opportunity he can that is like half the humour of the series, in fact, one of the more out of character moments for him was refusing Azusa.

Like most Sakurako shippers you're in complete denial of any of her faults. Pretty sure forcibly kissing and forcing Iori to grope her breast is sexual battery. Pretty sure Iori didn't ask for Sakurako to kiss him, pretty sure he didn't say it was okay for her to grab his hand and make him grab her breast. Of course, you'll probably say it's just her being upfront with her feelings, but if the roles were reversed if, a guy were doing that to a girl people would be crying foul. Seriously, Sakurako shippers are so in denial she could probably rape Iori and you wouldn't have a problem with it just another instance of her being upfront about her feelings.

removed-userDec 29, 2021 2:21 PM
Dec 29, 2021 4:00 PM
Sep 2017
MahorobaDensetsu said:
Okabe108 said:

Noun

Like most Sakurako shippers you're in complete denial of any of her faults. Pretty sure forcibly kissing and forcing Iori to grope her breast is sexual battery. Pretty sure Iori didn't ask for Sakurako to kiss him, pretty sure he didn't say it was okay for her to grab his hand and make him grab her breast. Of course, you'll probably say it's just her being upfront with her feelings, but if the roles were reversed if, a guy were doing that to a girl people would be crying foul. Seriously, Sakurako shippers are so in denial she could probably rape Iori and you wouldn't have a problem with it just another instance of her being upfront about her feelings.

And again, you ignored at least 60% of my comment including multiple direct questions and belittled me again. My god, you are an arrogant prick. She has faults, she is an asshole, that is the whole point of her character, my god STOP PUTTING WORDS MY MOUTH GODDAMNIT. There is no point, if it appeases your very large ego, I'll concede you have a few points, yes, if the roles were reversed people would be crying foul, and probably some shippers do what say, and maybe it was sexual battery, I don't know, I don't know the law about that and I'm sure it changes from country to country, but I am pretty done talking to you. Even when you're right you have the worst attitude about it and you act like you know everything about everyone and everyone besides your genius self is just an archetype and of course by knowing archetypes you know all of the human race, cause that is how people work. If you wanna bitch about me not saying literally everything you said is right, go right ahead, I don't care anymore. You wanna hear you won, you did, fuck it. Not that it matters that you put words in my mouth several times, avoided topics that could put you in a bad light or that you didn't have an argument for and belittled me multiple times. I concede so you win. Enjoy your victory!
Dec 29, 2021 4:24 PM
Jul 2018
Okabe108 said:
MahorobaDensetsu said:

And again, you ignored at least 60% of my comment including multiple direct questions and belittled me again. My god, you are an arrogant prick. She has faults, she is an asshole, that is the whole point of her character, my god STOP PUTTING WORDS MY MOUTH GODDAMNIT. There is no point, if it appeases your very large ego, I'll concede you have a few points, yes, if the roles were reversed people would be crying foul, and probably some shippers do what say, and maybe it was sexual battery, I don't know, I don't know the law about that and I'm sure it changes from country to country, but I am pretty done talking to you. Even when you're right you have the worst attitude about it and you act like you know everything about everyone and everyone besides your genius self is just an archetype and of course by knowing archetypes you know all of the human race, cause that is how people work. If you wanna bitch about me not saying literally everything you said is right, go right ahead, I don't care anymore. You wanna hear you won, you did, fuck it. Not that it matters that you put words in my mouth several times, avoided topics that could put you in a bad light or that you didn't have an argument for and belittled me multiple times. I concede so you win. Enjoy your victory!

Sorry I didn't pick apart every one of your sentences and offer a counterpoint. I didn't have time to go through your whole post every single time. So I responded with what I thought was the most relevant. Apologizes for generalizing, but I see a lot of people seem to give Sakurako a free pass for her actions while crucifying Aina for less offensive matters. Their main reason seems to be they find her attractive and she and Iori had good chemistry for about 4 chapters 30 chapters ago and not much since. So, unfortunately, yes I do tend to think Sakurako shippers are a little bit on the delusional side of things. Not that Chisa shippers trying to find any little clue about her feelings for Iori are much better, and I don't know what Aina shippers are smoking, but it's apparently pretty good whatever it is.
Dec 29, 2021 7:38 PM
Oct 2015
Chisa simps dominate the poll (myself included).
Second is Kouhei? I guess AinaXIori ship became quite a minority after the latest few chapters.
Jan 4, 2022 9:41 PM
Sep 2020
I'd love to see chisa and iori together but sadly they're cousins
Jan 4, 2022 9:43 PM
Jul 2018
I want to see busujima and Iori end up together. I really think that they really fit together as a couple
Jan 6, 2022 10:53 AM

Mar 2020
Chisa chisa chisa nice buddy

Seiba Supremacy 🛐
Sep 8, 2022 11:41 AM
Jan 2021
I had expected Aina to receive more votes. (+1)
It is shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.
Dune
Sep 17, 2022 12:42 PM

Oct 2011
I'm rooting for Sakurako here as her chemistry with Iori feels the most natural IMO.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Any idea when the manga ending

vivd_closer - Mar 12

9 by JizzyHitler »»
Apr 14, 3:22 PM

Poll: » Grand Blue Chapter 92 Discussion

Farabeuf - Mar 6

12 by Rider9530 »»
Apr 12, 12:32 AM

Poll: » Grand Blue Chapter 88 Discussion

Luigi11Ism - Oct 15, 2023

21 by Pro_kun »»
Apr 11, 2:18 AM

Poll: » Grand Blue Chapter 91 Discussion

Farabeuf - Feb 6

16 by SuCuLiNI »»
Mar 11, 5:51 PM

Poll: » Grand Blue Chapter 90 Discussion

Gear707 - Jan 13

4 by Softhenic03 »»
Mar 3, 3:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.