Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Banana Fish Episode 9 Discussion

Sep 6, 2018 2:41 PM

Lunallae said:
Jacksnapp said:
I'm not really convinced,

most of this episode seemed forced, Ash wasn't always acting true to this apparent characterization, I felt as though he could've handled the situation differently and the comic pose of Arthur was just overkill, ost also didn't really fit the tension

Just wondering, which of Ash's actions did not align with your perception of his characterization?

I'm not sure whether my perception on him is the same as yours?
Could you maybe describe how you found his actions in that episode or just the part of the final "showdown" (ending with Shorter's death) was in character for him?
I don't think anybody else had a similar issue with Ash's inconsistent depiction, so maybe it'd help me to figure out why my perspective is different if you were to explain how you viewed it?

Sep 6, 2018 6:34 PM

Jacksnapp said:

I'm not sure whether my perception on him is the same as yours?
Could you maybe describe how you found his actions in that episode or just the part of the final "showdown" (ending with Shorter's death) was in character for him?
I don't think anybody else had a similar issue with Ash's inconsistent depiction, so maybe it'd help me to figure out why my perspective is different if you were to explain how you viewed it?

Sure, I’ll try to break down all of Ash’s actions in that scene. I do think many scenes/actions in Banana Fish can be interpreted in several ways, so these are only my interpretations and I have more context since I did finish the manga (I’ll do my best not to pull anything from the manga though).

The scene first starts with Arthur cutting Ash. From this sequence, Ash is shown to be stoic and unfazed at what physical torture Arthur is likely going to continue to do. This also hints that Ash is not afraid of death.

When Shorter begins to attack Eiji, Ash shouts at Arthur to just kill him. This shows exactly how vulnerable Ash is when people he cares about are hurt. We had seen this firsthand in episode 6, where taking hostages was a very effective method of getting Ash to surrender.

As Shorter continues to attack Eiji, Ash also realizes that this is exactly what his brother, Griffin, must had been like. Now he’s understanding the position that Max was in when he was forced to immobilize Griffin. Ash also has knowledge that even if Shorter survives everything, he’ll be trapped in a nightmare, like Griffin was. When Shorter gets a moment of lucidity, Shorter reaffirms Ash’s fears that it is already over for his best friend.

And when given the option, Ash kills Shorter. What makes the scene so powerful to me is that Ash had the choice to shoot anyone in that room. He had three people he wanted to kill there: Dino, Arthur, and Abraham. But he chose to shoot his best friend. It was definitely an impulsive and emotionally charged decision. But there was no better alternative. Shorter begged Ash to kill him and Ash already feels guilty about how many years he made Griffin suffer by just trying to keep him alive (this was touched upon briefly in episode 8). Additionally, he would save Eiji, someone who was already making his way into Ash’s heart. The other option would have been to kill Dino/Arthur, but Eiji would have died. And this drives home the fact that Ash has lost almost everyone important to him so he is becoming really desperate to protect anyone left that he cares about.
Modified by Lunallae, Sep 6, 2018 6:39 PM

Sep 11, 2018 8:20 AM

poor shorter.. I guess there was no where around it.. I predict the lynx may also die in the end…

Sep 14, 2018 1:07 AM

This was amazing, the sadist inside me was satisfied.

Sep 14, 2018 7:19 AM

This show made me to hate Dino and Ash's brother killer.

Shorter was used as a lab rat for Banana Fish. And now, Ash is forced to kill him to save Eiji. RIP Shorter.
Life has no meaning.

Sep 18, 2018 12:30 AM
Yorkshire_Megan said:
Sage17 said:
Does anyone know if they're going to be including content from the spin off series in the anime? Because they alluded to Angel Eyes when Shorter looked at the angel and was able to recompose himself. I think it would add a lot if they did.

Angel Eyes is going to be adapted to a drama CD included with the first BD/DVD release. An OVA would have been nice though... Maybe there'll do an OVA for the epilogue story with the final volume.
Thank you! I agree an OVA would be really nice. I love this series.

Sep 18, 2018 1:02 AM
tbh when I first started watching Banana Fish, I didn't think I would get this attached to the characters in this anime but, knowing me, I should have known I would and, of course, the one I would get attached to the most would be the one killed off. T.T we're not even halfway through the series and Shorter is already killed?? I was honestly so pissed; he had such a good heart (despite making some bad decisions, in which he had no choice for so it doesn't count!!) that he didn't deserve this...AND ASH TOO. Ash is only 17 but he had experienced so many deaths of the people he loves that I'm just like "Can this series please end happily for both Ash and Eiji?"

ugh, there's really nothing more to say other than i'm currently heartbroken and, unless Shorter somehow miraculously comes back to life (which I don't think he will because this series seems to go in a realistic route rather than dead-character(s)-somehow-comes-back-to-life), I don't think my heart can ever be whole again. :((

"Set me free." ~ Shorter. I honestly hope you're currently resting in peace up there now, Shorter. You deserve nothing but happiness. <3

Sep 23, 2018 2:50 PM

Ash must feel terrible after all this, not to mention he have lost too many friends since episode 1! Just how much will he suffer TT_TT Ash is strong but this was too much for him to handle. My heart feels tight with sadness ;-; and I liked Shorter dammit!

Intense episode! Arthur, you are the worst knight ever existed in history, a sadistic villain! ><

Sep 24, 2018 6:06 PM

So just finished episode 11 of angolmois where

and now after coming back to banana fish the first episode im watching is this ... Jesus have some mercy hahahaha

Oct 23, 2018 10:24 PM

Honestly that angel reference got me super fucked up
Oscar and Andre deserved better

Dec 6, 2018 3:16 PM

SHORTER!!! ;_; Damn it! The guy I liked the most in the show is now gone and they won't even let him rest in peace... now that scientist will slice his brain to see the effects the drug had in it. Fuck!

Well, that aside, I would say that this was my favorite episode, it was really good although there were some things I didn't like but overall, I really "enjoyed" it.

The whole scene where Shorter tried to kill Eiji was quite intense and I really felt bad for him for living in a neverending nightmare while being alive. Not to mention that the moment when he was looking at the angel was a nice addition, being honest. It was really touching since all he wanted was to be free from that torture inside his head.

And regarding something I didn't like about the ep., I think the bit of comedy they used during the dinner scene regarding Max and Ibe's facial expressions was really unnecessary. They all were in a very dangerous situation so I don't really know why make it less threatening.

Dec 14, 2018 6:59 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Really intense.
Was expecting for a loop out of the situation, but seems like that when you take Banana Fish it is over for you... what retarded name, but noneless a real nightmare (though I would have liked to for to portray whatever goings inside one's head when the drug takes effect, wanted to see that visually).

Dec 14, 2018 6:44 PM

Playcool said:
Really intense.
Was expecting for a loop out of the situation, but seems like that when you take Banana Fish it is over for you... what retarded name, but noneless a real nightmare (though I would have liked to for to portray whatever goings inside one's head when the drug takes effect, wanted to see that visually).

FYI, the title Banana Fish was inspired from J.D. Salinger's short story "A Perfect Day for Bananafish." Here's a link to the summary. It's arguable that Banana Fish does share some obvious themes with the short story. The mangaka didn't just choose a random name for her work.
Modified by Arethusa_Vespera, Dec 15, 2018 8:09 AM

Dec 19, 2018 8:22 AM

Wow what a depressing episode.

Eiji and Yut-Lang were both quite close to being assaulted by Dino. Thankfully Ash and the gang arrived in time for it not to come to that.

Poor Shorter became a lab rat for Banana Fish. It’s crazy to see how fast he lost it. That awful scientist convinced him that Eiji was his enemy. What scum.

Ash was tied up and forced to watch Shorter try and kill Eiji. It was so painful to see Shorter ask Ash to “free” him. In the end, the only thing Ash could do was shoot Shorter. It’s awful considering how close the two of them were. I guess he’s finally free though. And poor Eiji..he really should’ve went back to Japan when he had the chance.

I really hope Dawson and Arthur die soon. They’re both such awful people.

Jan 17, 6:05 AM

I swear, this show only seems to get crazier, just how much would they make Ash suffer? How much can he take in?
It looks like the drug still has some weaknesses to have the targets maintain somewhat of consciousness. I don't want to believe that Shorter is dead, really, I really hope they treat him and patch up his scares as soon as possible, although, that looked like a fatal hit.
Every day my disgust towards the mafia Don is exploding, even more, that stupid piece of shit, get your gay ass down the deepest abyss you fdsjifosdokpseqilpsdqpm.

Mar 28, 7:12 AM

I don't like this. Another tragedy :( Shorter :( TRAGEDY after tragedy in each episode. This is too painful to watch I'm not sure if I can keep watching this. I want to gouge out Arthur's eyes and torture him. I want to kill him so badly. I'm so mad. This episode made me so damn mad. I hate how Eiji can't even protect himself OMG

"But I was too tired to think.
I remember wanting to become a stone.
A stone that doesn’t feel pain. Or sorrow."

Apr 14, 3:40 PM

SHORTER NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :((

May 30, 9:28 AM

Oh God this one hit hard. Hard. Considering how fast the show has been going on, sometimes I felt that I needed time to process everything that was happening, but I didn't expect Shorter to take the fall here, and in such a depressing manner too.

Poor Ash, really. I have no idea how are they going to get out of this shite.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]