Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 30, 2018 8:38 PM

Nov 2011
Kannei said:
SoraSenpai said:
The only good thing in this anime is now dead. Shorter was seriously the only reason why I continued. You literally just killed off the best character. Dropped. 1/10

really a stupid reason for you too drop the best show of the season exept snk
but from the looks of it you love too drop series before giving them much chance too shine anyways

"From the looks of it"
I mean I guess watching an anime 9 episodes in does not fall into the realm of "shining" I give most anime six episodes before I make a decision whether or not I would like to continue with them, barring something dreadful (Isuca) and I've gone to 9 with this one.

I've seen enough to know that there is literally no enjoyment from this anime. It's basically a soap opera at this point and this is not the kind of entertainment I would like to watch.

Add in the the opinion (not fact) that I find the writing and animation horrible, i expected a little more from Mappa.

HereticHunter said:
SoraSenpai said:
The only good thing in this anime is now dead. Shorter was seriously the only reason why I continued. You literally just killed off the best character. Dropped. 1/10

This has to be the most idiotic drop I've seen in my life. I seriously hope its a joke xD

Nope
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Aug 30, 2018 9:05 PM

Aug 2014
It's generally been a great adaptation, but this is the first time I feel the medium really enhanced the scene. The direction of Shorter's demise, along with the VA and OST, managed to fuck me just as hard as the first time. RIP best bro.
Sieg Zeon!
Aug 30, 2018 9:11 PM
Mar 2018
[quote=SoraSenpai message=55588526]
Kannei said:
SoraSenpai said:

but from the looks of it you love too drop series before giving them much chance too shine anyways

"From the looks of it"
I mean I guess watching an anime 9 episodes in does not fall into the realm of "shining" I give most anime six episodes before I make a decision whether or not I would like to continue with them, barring something dreadful (Isuca) and I've gone to 9 with this one.

I've seen enough to know that there is literally no enjoyment from this anime. It's basically a soap opera at this point and this is not the kind of entertainment I would like to watch.

Add in the the opinion (not fact) that I find the writing and animation horrible, i expected a little more from Mappa.

(the stuff above is all from SoraSenpai's post but I'm just responding to this part of it)

I can understand how it's probably not your kind of show but how are the writing and animation horrible to you? Because I feel that the animation is quite alright but the writing is what makes the show enjoyable to me. I really like how they were able to tell a very consistent and interesting story with very little filler. Though some parts are a little messy sometimes and some characters aren't as developed as the main cast, those problems don't really distract me from enjoying the show. The main cast feels like real people who the audience is rooting for and the plot itself is really compelling and I love watching it all unfold.
Aug 30, 2018 9:16 PM
Jul 2018
Today I had to endure the Chapter 4 cliffhanger from Yakuza 0, the cliffhanger of chapter 66 of Gakkou Gurashi and then this. Needless to say, I feel like shit today. *Mad World playing in the background*
Aug 30, 2018 11:25 PM

Jan 2014
Watching Banana Fish is like taking the drug... all it does is cause suffering.

Thanos, to Ash: "You should have gone for the head."

Jokes aside, I cried and now I feel like a heaping pile of fresh crap.
Aug 31, 2018 12:05 AM
Oct 2007
Wooowww.. That was some intense heavy episode there.. 10/5 for this episode execution and screenplay! I was kind of expecting Eiji to die.. rather than Shorter.. Darn!!!

I definitely like this more than 91 days and Gangsta when we're comparing between gang related anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2018 12:48 AM
Aug 2011
well shit
Shorter was extremely charming in animated form and in this adaptation in general :c

on the bright side... I saw my amazing boy Sing make an appearance <3
Aug 31, 2018 12:57 AM

Apr 2016
Something about this feels like it's setting up to bring Shorter back in some way
Aug 31, 2018 1:17 AM

Jan 2015
Really not happy. 😡
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Aug 31, 2018 2:29 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Crazy, intense and a very psychological episode, this!

Golzine and his men, especially Arthur, are seriously scum. Playing around with Ash and company like this, is seriously what I honestly wasn’t expecting in the slightest. R.I.P Shorter, you fought magnificently even till the very end.

Looking forward to the next episode, obviously!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 31, 2018 3:44 AM
Jul 2018
IT HURTS SO MUCH IM CRYING WATERFALLS IN A CORNER RN DON'T MIND ME

shorter deserved so much better T_T i didnt read the manga but i heard there will be something even more heartbreaking?? wow thanks do you want me to have crippling depression?
Aug 31, 2018 7:02 AM
Oct 2017
I’ve heard alot of people say that theres still going to be one more heartbreaking thing thats even WORSE than this. Like I seriously have no idea what to expect, this episode was already fucking sad enough. RIP Shorter ;-;-;-;-; So glad this is going to have 24 episodes.
Aug 31, 2018 7:50 AM

Feb 2016
SoraSenpai said:
Kannei said:

"From the looks of it"

HereticHunter said:

This has to be the most idiotic drop I've seen in my life. I seriously hope its a joke xD

Nope

How is the animation or writing horrible to you?
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Aug 31, 2018 8:19 AM

Jun 2008
RuiYinLei said:
I’ve heard alot of people say that theres still going to be one more heartbreaking thing thats even WORSE than this.

I don't really agree with that. I think this is the most heartbreaking thing that happens in Banana Fish because of the circumstances surrounding it.

And after this arc is over, we will finally get some cute and funny moments between Ash and Eiji (as long as the anime doesn't cut those scenes)
Aug 31, 2018 9:08 AM

Nov 2016
hirahira said:

And after this arc is over, we will finally get some cute and funny moments between Ash and Eiji (as long as the anime doesn't cut those scenes)

Good, I need some AshEiji healing after this week's episode... I'd be surprised if these kind of scenes are cut out since it's noticeable how the anime has put more emphasis on their relationship so far than the manga did. Plus the show's marketing has focused on AshEiji.
Aug 31, 2018 9:51 AM
Oct 2017
hirahira said:
RuiYinLei said:
I’ve heard alot of people say that theres still going to be one more heartbreaking thing thats even WORSE than this.

I don't really agree with that. I think this is the most heartbreaking thing that happens in Banana Fish because of the circumstances surrounding it.

Well that’s just what I’ve heard from many manga readers¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, hopefully they dont cut them out
Aug 31, 2018 10:30 AM
Apr 2016
hirahira said:
RuiYinLei said:

There are other scenes that are heartbreaking as well, but Shorter's one is the most imo. I'm starting to be afraid of how they'd cram everything in 24 eps. I really don't want them to cut out those scenes
Aug 31, 2018 10:56 AM

Oct 2011
Well that's a shame. Shorter was one of the only characters I cared about.
Aug 31, 2018 11:57 AM

Sep 2017
Arethusa_Vespera said:
Salamak said:
so will they adapt the whole series in this season or will there be a second one?..

They're going to adapt the whole series.

thanks..
i hope they'll do a good adaptation
Aug 31, 2018 12:10 PM

May 2015
Only 15 episodes of this rollercoaster left..Don't think my heart can take this anymore.

RIP best boy :(((

Aug 31, 2018 4:59 PM

Jan 2016
I didn't cry but this episode was soo damn sad im like jeez! its gonna be like this throughout the whole anime! Smh I really like all the characters too, people been dying since Skipper!

One part that made me sad was when Eiji watched Shorter go through the drug. Him staring with wide eyes, slowly filling with tears... hang on.. T_T starting to tear up myself.. that was fucking sad.

But was more sad was, and now that I think about it I didn't pay attention to what it meant when Shorter was staring at the angel statue. BUT, ofcourse the saddest part was seeing Ash break out of his cool calm collective persona, and had to shoot his best friend in the heart. That was just so damn sad. So damn sad.. Seeing him cry was also the worse..

T_T T_T T_T T_T
well, from reading some of you guys' response, I am def gonna read the manga. I wanna see how Ash and Shorter met too ! But then I might actually cry
Aug 31, 2018 6:54 PM

Jan 2018
Favorite episode so far. That entire last scene was so intense.
Sep 1, 2018 2:54 AM

Oct 2008
Another extremely painful episode for Ash Lynx.
5/5.

Sep 1, 2018 5:54 AM

May 2018
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

RIP SHORTER WONG
Sep 1, 2018 5:55 AM

May 2018
Please avenge Shorter, ASH!!!
Sep 1, 2018 6:29 AM
Oct 2017
ScarletAngel19 said:
hirahira said:

There are other scenes that are heartbreaking as well, but Shorter's one is the most imo. I'm starting to be afraid of how they'd cram everything in 24 eps. I really don't want them to cut out those scenes

Maybe a second season? But I think it’s pretty unlikely that they’d make one (I’d love a 2nd season though)
Sep 1, 2018 7:06 AM
Jul 2018
Sep 1, 2018 8:37 AM
Jan 2016
Wow, I didn't think that Shorter will be dead, especially like this and it is only the 9th eps...feel really bad for him...why did I feel that Ash doesn't have have a chance to win against Dino Golzine from the beginning...
Sep 1, 2018 8:39 AM

Apr 2018
What an outstanding episode. As a manga reader I knew what was going to happen, but still.. in color and voices Shorter´s death felt even more gruesome than in black and white. RIP :(
“You are not alone, Ash. I am with you. My soul is with you.” - Eiji Okumura.
Sep 1, 2018 9:17 AM

Mar 2017
This anime is too fucking intense! I can't believe Shorter is dead! He was my favourite character :'(
I am ugly crying so hard right now! The hopelessness of their situation is killing me so much. I would make sure i killed Arthur and Papa Dino nice and slow and painful (i just realised how insane i sound in this post...)
Sep 1, 2018 9:35 AM
Aug 2016
Does anyone know if they're going to be including content from the spin off series in the anime? Because they alluded to Angel Eyes when Shorter looked at the angel and was able to recompose himself. I think it would add a lot if they did.
Sep 1, 2018 9:50 AM

Nov 2016
Sage17 said:
Does anyone know if they're going to be including content from the spin off series in the anime? Because they alluded to Angel Eyes when Shorter looked at the angel and was able to recompose himself. I think it would add a lot if they did.

Angel Eyes is going to be adapted to a drama CD included with the first BD/DVD release. An OVA would have been nice though... Maybe there'll do an OVA for the epilogue story with the final volume.
Sep 1, 2018 9:04 PM
Mar 2014
Damn, what an episode
Sep 2, 2018 1:26 AM

Nov 2013
MAPPA really did a great job, I already know how the story would go but I still can't help but be affected. I felt pain with the Manga but this is another level.

Sep 2, 2018 5:36 AM

Jun 2013
Golzine is a fucking pig, he had both Eiji and Yut Lung in bed but I'm guessing nothing happened based on the dialogue. I would imagine Eiji'd be more distraught if Golzine had actually touched him.

I noticed how Golzine mentioned that blonde haired boys were more highly prized, Arthur has somewhat blonde hair too but Golzine treats him like disposable spork and treats Ash like a national treasure even though they're enemies. He still lusts after him. Yes I know he mentioned that blonde hair and green eyes were rare and Arthur has blue but still, he doesn't see Arthur the same way he sees Ash.

I think everyone knew that Shorter was going to die but I'm sure most people thought that he was going to get killed by Arthur, Golzine, The Lee Clan, etc. but not by his best friend Ash. Still, I'm sure Shorter wouldn't have it any way. Now they're going to cut him up and observe how Banana Fish affected his brain.

I wish people would stop dropping hints about what's going to happen. It's hard to avoid spoilers online especially with people saying that "you should prepare yourselves for the next episode" and shit like that. I'm still trying to catch up with the manga myself and enjoying the Anime. I've read the manga to many old and new series and I don't go around spoiling and dropping hints.

Anyway, Shorter was one of my faves. I'm glad to see his predecessor finally make an appearance. He won't be as cool as Shorter, he's just shorter.
BibimbapskiSep 2, 2018 6:28 AM
臭い-
Sep 2, 2018 7:15 AM

Sep 2008
Kannei said:
Evendell said:
I hope Arthur will die. In a really terrible way.

SPOILER

Sep 2, 2018 7:32 AM

Nov 2016
Bibimbapski said:
I wish people would stop dropping hints about what's going to happen. It's hard to avoid spoilers online especially with people saying that "you should prepare yourselves for the next episode" and shit like that. I'm still trying to catch up with the manga myself and enjoying the Anime. I've read the manga to many old and new series and I don't go around spoiling and dropping hints.

This. The week before ep 9 aired I couldn't look at anything Banana Fish without manga readers saying the next episode would be super heavy. I got spoiled on Shorter's death by something, not spoiler tagged, I saw. There's also too many people talking about the ending of the series without spoiler tags or warnings, even if they're vague about it it still takes away from the experience of a newbie. I want to take part in the fandom, but I'm kinda scared to as I'm worried I'll be spoiled on even more than I already am.

I also read a lot of source material that gets turned into anime, manga/LNs/VNs etc., and I'm against discussing spoilers or heavily hinting at the next plot development. Giving vague hints to get people excited for the story is okay, but beyond that is probably going to effect the enjoyment of anime-onlys. If you want to talk about something, discuss it when that actually happens in the adaptation. Or if you really really want to discuss spoilers, make sure that it has appropriate spoiler tags (not just "SPOILER WARNING" before the text like that deleted post did) and an appropriate warning of the level of spoilers contained within.
Sep 2, 2018 9:45 AM

Jan 2010
Did Eiji have sex with Golzine? Seems like yes, but he s way too calm which makes me wonder if it really happened or not.
Sep 2, 2018 10:52 AM

Aug 2018
A big rip to best boy Shorter.
Honestly, you will be missed.

Nice episode, full of tension.
Probably best anime of this season.
Sep 2, 2018 11:40 AM

Mar 2018
Despite the fact that I knew what would happen it still fucking hurt so much. Oh Shorter :-(
Sep 2, 2018 7:00 PM

Feb 2015
The story is getting deeper and is starting to mess principal characters. Shorter's death is very significant to the story. Now there's a real reason for war.
Also Ash shooting Shorter was painful but necessary; bad for Ash.
Sep 3, 2018 10:25 AM

Aug 2018
What volume and chapter is this episode in the manga?
Sep 3, 2018 11:10 AM

Feb 2018
Gunfire14 said:

This is between the last chapter of vol. 5 and the first chapter of vol. 6 (so it should be 5.3 and 6.1 respectively)
Sep 3, 2018 11:15 AM

Aug 2018
foxsuprise said:
Gunfire14 said:

This is between the last chapter of vol. 5 and the first chapter of vol. 6 (so it should be 5.3 and 6.1 respectively)

Thank you.
foxsuprise said:
Gunfire14 said:

Thank you so much, looking forward to next weeks episode. But kind of worried at the same time!
Sep 3, 2018 11:44 AM

Feb 2018
Gunfire14 said:
foxsuprise said:

Thank you so much, looking forward to next weeks episode. But kind of worried at the same time!

No problem! :) Good luck with your anime watching! Next week is a lot more action-oriented ep, so hopefully MAPPA will animate it well
Sep 3, 2018 11:55 AM

Aug 2018
foxsuprise said:
Gunfire14 said:

No problem! :) Good luck with your anime watching! Next week is a lot more action-oriented ep, so hopefully MAPPA will animate it well

Haha, That's good! Looking forward to it!
Sep 3, 2018 6:43 PM

Dec 2014
Oh my God. That's all I have to say.

Arthur's laugh was a bit comical, like he was the evil guy in kids' Saturday morning cartoons.
I need sleep.
Sep 6, 2018 2:41 PM

Dec 2015
Lunallae said:
Jacksnapp said:
I'm not really convinced,

most of this episode seemed forced, Ash wasn't always acting true to this apparent characterization, I felt as though he could've handled the situation differently and the comic pose of Arthur was just overkill, ost also didn't really fit the tension

Just wondering, which of Ash's actions did not align with your perception of his characterization?

I'm not sure whether my perception on him is the same as yours?
Could you maybe describe how you found his actions in that episode or just the part of the final "showdown" (ending with Shorter's death) was in character for him?
I don't think anybody else had a similar issue with Ash's inconsistent depiction, so maybe it'd help me to figure out why my perspective is different if you were to explain how you viewed it?
Sep 6, 2018 6:34 PM

Aug 2018
Jacksnapp said:

I'm not sure whether my perception on him is the same as yours?
Could you maybe describe how you found his actions in that episode or just the part of the final "showdown" (ending with Shorter's death) was in character for him?
I don't think anybody else had a similar issue with Ash's inconsistent depiction, so maybe it'd help me to figure out why my perspective is different if you were to explain how you viewed it?

Sure, I’ll try to break down all of Ash’s actions in that scene. I do think many scenes/actions in Banana Fish can be interpreted in several ways, so these are only my interpretations and I have more context since I did finish the manga (I’ll do my best not to pull anything from the manga though).

The scene first starts with Arthur cutting Ash. From this sequence, Ash is shown to be stoic and unfazed at what physical torture Arthur is likely going to continue to do. This also hints that Ash is not afraid of death.

When Shorter begins to attack Eiji, Ash shouts at Arthur to just kill him. This shows exactly how vulnerable Ash is when people he cares about are hurt. We had seen this firsthand in episode 6, where taking hostages was a very effective method of getting Ash to surrender.

As Shorter continues to attack Eiji, Ash also realizes that this is exactly what his brother, Griffin, must had been like. Now he’s understanding the position that Max was in when he was forced to immobilize Griffin. Ash also has knowledge that even if Shorter survives everything, he’ll be trapped in a nightmare, like Griffin was. When Shorter gets a moment of lucidity, Shorter reaffirms Ash’s fears that it is already over for his best friend.

And when given the option, Ash kills Shorter. What makes the scene so powerful to me is that Ash had the choice to shoot anyone in that room. He had three people he wanted to kill there: Dino, Arthur, and Abraham. But he chose to shoot his best friend. It was definitely an impulsive and emotionally charged decision. But there was no better alternative. Shorter begged Ash to kill him and Ash already feels guilty about how many years he made Griffin suffer by just trying to keep him alive (this was touched upon briefly in episode 8). Additionally, he would save Eiji, someone who was already making his way into Ash’s heart. The other option would have been to kill Dino/Arthur, but Eiji would have died. And this drives home the fact that Ash has lost almost everyone important to him so he is becoming really desperate to protect anyone left that he cares about.
LunallaeSep 6, 2018 6:39 PM
Sep 11, 2018 8:20 AM

Dec 2014
poor shorter.. I guess there was no where around it.. I predict the lynx may also die in the end…
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2018

345 by anjalpaudel »»
Apr 20, 8:04 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2018

121 by matheoo41 »»
Apr 13, 5:55 PM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2018

69 by matheoo41 »»
Apr 13, 5:41 PM

» how gay is this shit?

KuroudoAkabane - May 14, 2023

37 by Merve2Love »»
Apr 13, 1:54 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheFreycook - Aug 8, 2018

66 by unclearjustice »»
Dec 26, 2023 8:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.