Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 28, 2018 9:39 PM

Dec 2017
to people who think using only 8-10 in ratings is stupid.
some people who use only the top numbers of a rating system can make sense. some people don't understand that. I have used these for some time so I now understand how it makes some sense.
you see I sometimes watch something bad or something that is boring. I refuse to rate such shows because I feel like it is pointless to rate those bad shows. most of the time I just drop them, so it is not fair to rate them since I haven't seen them all. there is stuff that I have seen completely but they arent bad nor good. they are just ok. I stopped rating such shows because I have no strong emotions in them. I spend some time over what score I give them. that's boring. why should I waste time on something I don't care about that much or something I would forget in a week. I find the rating stuff that I liked a lot to be easier because my emotions and thinking are clear. my scores for those I care about is more accurate is what I am saying, while those that I don't care about tend to be less accurate. that's why I have decided to use the 8-10 thingy. of course, there are some exceptions but those are few. I no longer rate like this. I just wanted to explain why some people would do this to people who don't understand it. or at least i tried.

now to the main point

i used to make fun of how many people do not use the rating at full scale. after many months and discussing with various people i came into conclusion that rating dont fucking matter. what matters is your whole opinion about the show of cons and pros and other stuff i am lazy to describe. of course not all opinions are good since they can be nothing of substance. but then again a test of an art is not how we can explain it through words, but our affection for it. i realized that rating stuff i dont like actually do not matter for me because i would forget about them later. only postive stuff remain in mind. of course one can still remember a bad experience. cant deny that. stuff that werent bad and had some good time with but are not that great are forgatable to me most of the time. it is only stuff that are very very good that i remember. i keep back and fourth and change my ratings for stuff but what remain mostly at the top are those i love. what is the point of rating again? i kind of forgot? why do you rate stuff? i am having an anime inner weeb crisis right now.
HussAug 30, 2018 3:30 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 28, 2018 9:45 PM
Apr 2016
We rate animes because the rating shstem is there and its free lmao
Aug 28, 2018 9:46 PM

Sep 2015
don't know men, i still remember the bad stuff in anime because i'm fascinated how a show can fuck up on so many levels. stuff like big order are still always on my mind
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Aug 28, 2018 9:49 PM

Apr 2018
I rate things for my own benefits, not for others. I like re-experiencing anime I like, so rating them will make it easy for me to see which ones I really enjoyed.
Aug 28, 2018 9:51 PM

Apr 2018
I only rate stuff because every time I finish an anime someone literally puts a gun to my head and tells me to give my opinion on it.

send help
Aug 28, 2018 10:34 PM

Oct 2013
People rate anime because there are clearly shows that are better than others. Even if you are not recording it, you are rating a show when you think X is better than Y, I prefer B to A, or etc. Pretty much everyone will rate the shows they have watched.

Whether or not you keep track of your ratings is a different matter and up to you. Ratings help keep your list organized, search similar series and help remember your thoughts on a show compared to others. Some people also simply enjoying ranking series against others in detail. I personally, recommend you continue ranking as once your list gets large it will make it much more manageable.

People also rate shows on different metrics but as taste, attitudes, experience and other factors change, so will your opinions on the rating of shows. Likely, you either ranked some good shows to harshly or bad shows too lightly and as you watched more anime you have come to this understanding. Updating your list for this is a natural reaction.

Lastly, 8-10 makes sense if you watch only the top anime series that cater to your taste. There is what, 10K+ shows listed on MAL? If you take a normal distribution of that pretty sure, as an example, your 100 shows (1% of all series on MAL roughly) should easily fall in the top 8 - 10 range... though obviously harder to do if you don't know exactly what you enjoy in anime, and impossible if you watch most seasonal.
Aug 28, 2018 10:40 PM

May 2009
Huss said:
rating only 8-10 actually makes

i used to make fun of how many people do not use the rating at full scale. after many months and discussing with various people i came into conclusion that rating dont fucking matter. what matters is your whole opinion about the show of cons and pros and other stuff i am lazy to describe. of course not all opinions are good since they can be nothing of substance. but then again a test of an art is not how we can explain it through words, but our affection for it. i realized that rating stuff i dont like actually do not matter for me because i would forget about them later. only postive stuff remain in mind. of course one can still remember a bad experience. cant deny that. stuff that werent bad and had some good time with but are not that great are forgatable to me most of the time. it is only stuff that are very very good that i remember. i keep back and fourth and change my ratings for stuff but what remain mostly at the top are those i love. what is the point of rating again? i kind of forgot? why do you rate stuff? i am having an anime inner weeb crisis right now.

...rating only 8-10 actually makes a wall of text?
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 28, 2018 10:41 PM

Apr 2018
Waiting for the day when op will make a good thread
Aug 28, 2018 10:43 PM

Oct 2015
WoAh, the answer that everyone kept saying? GUTTENHEIMER

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Aug 28, 2018 10:56 PM

Oct 2016
I sometimes just won't rate if I didn't get a show or if it's not for me. If it's not for me I can sometimes make judgement call, but if not I may just leave it unrated.
Aug 29, 2018 12:01 AM

Feb 2017
Incorrect. This is just the mindset of a weeb coming full circle. Of course ratings are objective and thus only using 8-10 on a system that utilizes 1-10 is absolute nonsense and desecrates the notion of objectivity in marking art altogether.

Also fuck objectivity

Aug 29, 2018 12:19 AM

Dec 2017
Magnif-Steiner said:
Incorrect. This is just the mindset of a weeb coming full circle. Of course ratings are objective and thus only using 8-10 on a system that utilizes 1-10 is absolute nonsense and desecrates the notion of objectivity in marking art altogether.

Also fuck objectivity

there is nothing called objectivity in anime opinions. ur reply is off topic kind off
Aug 29, 2018 12:21 AM

Feb 2017
Huss said:
Magnif-Steiner said:

Also fuck objectivity

there is nothing called objectivity in anime opinions

I think you missed my point, but ok dude
Aug 29, 2018 12:26 AM

Dec 2016
actually makes what? do not confuse us and fill the sentence OP
Aug 29, 2018 12:30 AM

Jul 2017
People who have vastly irregular rating systems should have their rating weight reduced tbh
Just like they do in some sites
あなたは誰?
Aug 29, 2018 12:33 AM
Aug 2018
Hello, I am rather new here (literally made an account today) but i have 11 years of experience rating variuos movies/shows, including anime on IMDB. With over 7000 ratings in my list i think i can bring some insight into the rating scores, as i too have explored the phenomenon called "7 is average".

See, on IMDB the average score ever submitted is 7, when logically it should be 5 in a 1-10 scale. So why does that happen? I think it happens because people watch what they enjoy, instead of watching shows at random. If i read a description of a show and know i will not like it, then i will probably not watch it to begin with, and not having watched it - i wont rate it. Thus i am more likely to watch a show i enjoy and more likely to leave a positive rating rather than a negative one. Extrapolate that to entire userbase and you got rating inflation like theres no tomorrow.

Another interesting thing i noticed is that you end up with higher ratings in genres you dont enjoy than in those that you do. Sounds strange, right? Well, its not really. In genres you dont enjoy you will only watch this genre if the show is very good and comes so highly recommended you will break your usual pattern for genre choice. Thus it is very likely to be highly rated shows only that gets to that list. In genres you like you are more willing to experiment, give new, odd things a try, and not all of them are good, so you end up with more bad ratings in genres you like than in ones you dont like.

To finish, i think ratings are very interesting subject and i wish sites would be more open with the data they have. Theres a goldmine on sites like IMDB and MAL that they keep locked up hiding under "vote manipulation" as if it somehow stops it.
Does the Reaper Dream of Darkness Darker than Black?
Aug 29, 2018 12:44 AM

May 2018
I give 8-10 only to masterpieces like Akira, Ouritsu Uchuugun: Honneamise no Tsubasa, Satoshi Kon's and Mamoru Oshii's works.
Aug 29, 2018 1:10 AM

Oct 2017
I rate anime to express how I felt like watching a show. And, I do remember what I hated and liked about a certain show. If you don't enjoy rating anime, then don't do it.
Aug 29, 2018 1:14 AM

Oct 2015
i saw a review for masamune-kun no revenge which said that it wasn't worth investing time in and that it was mediocre, and which then gave it a 9. out of 10. this is, as they say in france, "le rétarded". i don't care what your personal explanation is, if you do this, you're a dumbass and your ratings shouldn't affect the total.
Aug 29, 2018 1:15 AM

Oct 2012
I don't care how you rate anime for personal enjoyment, but I do believe it serves as evidence of your judgment. If we're having a discussion and I see that you only rate 8-10, unless you can explain why you did (e.g. not "I only watch what I enjoy"), I'm just going to assume -- rightfully -- that you don't really know what you're talking about. How can you when you don't know what you dislike?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Aug 29, 2018 1:16 AM

Oct 2015
Strazdas said:
Hello, I am rather new here (literally made an account today) but i have 11 years of experience rating variuos movies/shows, including anime on IMDB. With over 7000 ratings in my list i think i can bring some insight into the rating scores, as i too have explored the phenomenon called "7 is average".

See, on IMDB the average score ever submitted is 7, when logically it should be 5 in a 1-10 scale. So why does that happen? I think it happens because people watch what they enjoy, instead of watching shows at random. If i read a description of a show and know i will not like it, then i will probably not watch it to begin with, and not having watched it - i wont rate it. Thus i am more likely to watch a show i enjoy and more likely to leave a positive rating rather than a negative one. Extrapolate that to entire userbase and you got rating inflation like theres no tomorrow.

Another interesting thing i noticed is that you end up with higher ratings in genres you dont enjoy than in those that you do. Sounds strange, right? Well, its not really. In genres you dont enjoy you will only watch this genre if the show is very good and comes so highly recommended you will break your usual pattern for genre choice. Thus it is very likely to be highly rated shows only that gets to that list. In genres you like you are more willing to experiment, give new, odd things a try, and not all of them are good, so you end up with more bad ratings in genres you like than in ones you dont like.

To finish, i think ratings are very interesting subject and i wish sites would be more open with the data they have. Theres a goldmine on sites like IMDB and MAL that they keep locked up hiding under "vote manipulation" as if it somehow stops it.
this is why my average ratings are well above 5. i just usually don't watch or read things that seem like they're going to suck, and i often watch/read after being recommended things by people i trust.
Aug 29, 2018 1:17 AM

Oct 2015
Skifteri said:

Have you even heard about this?....

Different people=Different Taste/Opinion (:
go ahead and check out the words that show up next to each number when you rate things on MAL. we may be different people, but i'm guessing the same ones will show up for you as for me

if something's "average" according to you, you don't rate it 9 ("Great")
ItkovianAug 29, 2018 1:22 AM
Aug 29, 2018 1:18 AM
Aug 2018
Itkovian said:
i saw a review for masamune-kun no revenge which said that it wasn't worth investing time in and that it was mediocre, and which then gave it a 9. out of 10. this is, as they say in france, "le rétarded". i don't care what your personal explanation is, if you do this, you're a dumbass and your ratings shouldn't affect the total.

I would agree that in general this is a bad practice, but sometimes that is just a person being honest. For example there is a movie called Transylvania 6-5000. It is a bad movie with bad production value that i would suggest anyone that isnt a fan of a monster genre to avoid entirely. It is also one of my favorite movies that i rated 10. You need to be a fan of the genre to even get the jokes in the movie, but if you are you may end up loving it. Sometimes you end up loving something you know isnt good, so a review like that would be a honest one, since reviews are for other people, ratings are for yourself.
Aug 29, 2018 1:21 AM

Oct 2015
Strazdas said:

I would agree that in general this is a bad practice, but sometimes that is just a person being honest. For example there is a movie called Transylvania 6-5000. It is a bad movie with bad production value that i would suggest anyone that isnt a fan of a monster genre to avoid entirely. It is also one of my favorite movies that i rated 10. You need to be a fan of the genre to even get the jokes in the movie, but if you are you may end up loving it. Sometimes you end up loving something you know isnt good, so a review like that would be a honest one, since reviews are for other people, ratings are for yourself.
the review didn't say "it's mediocre but i personally loved it". it just said "it's mediocre". there were even subsections for stuff like the art, where the reviewer said "I'm usually not one to criticize an Manga for its artwork, but this one has some major issues." and then...in the subsection for art...gave that art with "major issues" a 9/10
Aug 29, 2018 1:22 AM
Aug 2018
Itkovian said:
Strazdas said:

the review didn't say "it's mediocre but i personally loved it". it just said "it's mediocre". there were even subsections for stuff like the art, where the reviewer said "I'm usually not one to criticize an Manga for its artwork, but this one has some major issues." and then...in the subsection for art...gave that art with "major issues" a 9/10

Well, then, in such case i agree that your proposed cause may be true.
Aug 29, 2018 1:31 AM

Jan 2018
If you want to appreciate it with ratings, then please do so. Otherwise, just leave it blank.
Aug 29, 2018 1:57 AM
Jul 2018
in regards to your last questions,i rate anime so i can remind myself whether i liked the anime or not
Aug 29, 2018 7:21 PM

Dec 2017
katsucats said:
I don't care how you rate anime for personal enjoyment, but I do believe it serves as evidence of your judgment. If we're having a discussion and I see that you only rate 8-10, unless you can explain why you did (e.g. not "I only watch what I enjoy"), I'm just going to assume -- rightfully -- that you don't really know what you're talking about. How can you when you don't know what you dislike?

what if i only score stuff that i enjoy, but do not score stuff that i dont like?

Strazdas said:
Itkovian said:

everything i i give high score is something i consider good. i wont say it is bad or anything.
Aug 29, 2018 10:04 PM
Aug 2018
Huss said:

everything i i give high score is something i consider good. i wont say it is bad or anything.

You arent using the system how its intended then, though. You should rate it whether you think its good or not, thus giving the show a fair average from viewers. The system doesnt work if the people doesnt use it correctly, which i guess always been a problem with public systems. The way you do things though would mean fanboys be the only ones rating.
Aug 29, 2018 10:51 PM

Oct 2012
Huss said:
katsucats said:
what if i only score stuff that i enjoy, but do not score stuff that i dont like?
That means you've watched a bunch of anime you don't actually like, but you, for whatever reason, didn't feel like adding it to your list, right? Then I would ask you to name some anime you don't like. If you can't, then you're not telling the truth, period. If you don't want to, then you aren't interested in a discussion that puts your ego on the line, which means you're much more likely to just make up stuff, troll, or play devil's advocate, and I wouldn't be very much interested in discussing anything with you past the 2nd response.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Aug 30, 2018 4:08 AM

Dec 2017
katsucats said:
Huss said:
That means you've watched a bunch of anime you don't actually like, but you, for whatever reason, didn't feel like adding it to your list, right? Then I would ask you to name some anime you don't like. If you can't, then you're not telling the truth, period. If you don't want to, then you aren't interested in a discussion that puts your ego on the line, which means you're much more likely to just make up stuff, troll, or play devil's advocate, and I wouldn't be very much interested in discussing anything with you past the 2nd response.

sure i can. rezero, 07 knight, monogatari, angels egg, cowboy Bebop, evangalion, and other gazlion anime.
Aug 30, 2018 4:19 AM

Apr 2013
So if I understand you correctly then you drop everything that isn't at least "very good"? Seems kinda extreme to me.
Aug 30, 2018 4:35 AM

Dec 2017
Gator said:
So if I understand you correctly then you drop everything that isn't at least "very good"? Seems kinda extreme to me.

oh it has to be good or more at least. what is good for you is not good for me. same with opposite, so it is not really extreme. if something is boring i drop it, even if it is a movie
Aug 30, 2018 4:38 AM

Apr 2013
Huss said:
Gator said:

oh it has to be good or more at least. what is good for you is not good for me. same with opposite, so it is not really extreme. if something is boring i drop it, even if it is a movie

So that means that you are not statisfied with the MAL scale at all? Else a 7 would be good and a 6 would be fine. I just wanna know why you stop at 8 and not below.

Personally I can't understand why you wouldn't use the whole scale if possible. I mean you could define a 1 for you as "barely good" and you would have a lot of numbers available to rate everything you don't drop. With only 3 numbers it just seems like nothing really stands out.

Though I never drop anything new I start watching and people don't understand me either.
Aug 30, 2018 5:20 AM

Dec 2017
nah mal scale has nothing to do with it.
Gator said:
Huss said:

So that means that you are not statisfied with the MAL scale at all? Else a 7 would be good and a 6 would be fine. I just wanna know why you stop at 8 and not below.

Personally I can't understand why you wouldn't use the whole scale if possible. I mean you could define a 1 for you as "barely good" and you would have a lot of numbers available to rate everything you don't drop. With only 3 numbers it just seems like nothing really stands out.

Though I never drop anything new I start watching and people don't understand me either.

mal scale has nothing to do with it.
Aug 30, 2018 7:28 AM

Aug 2018
Yeah I rate shows for my own benefit too. I also like using the affinity feature so if a user rated the same as me I can look at their list for recommendations. Ratings are a tool for you to use for yourself and however you decide to rate shows will either increase or decrease that tool's usefulness.
Aug 30, 2018 10:39 AM

Apr 2010
Finally, I feel like someone understands me!

Aug 30, 2018 10:40 AM

Jan 2016
Striker-3649 said:
We rate animes because the rating shstem is there and its free lmao

Wow, I almost typed the same thing lmao
Aug 30, 2018 2:03 PM

Aug 2014
Huss said:
you see I sometimes watch something bad or something that is boring. I refuse to rate such shows because I feel like it is pointless to rate those bad shows. most of the time I just drop them, so it is not fair to rate them since I haven't seen them all.

Your list says you dropped Madoka Magica, Steins;Gate 0, Psycho-Pass, Yu Yu Hakusho, A Silent Voice, Your Name, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Blood Blockade Battlefront, and Violet Evergarden.

Those are all phenomenal anime. You might as well not score anything if you're incapable of comprehending (or unwilling to discover) their greatness.
Aug 30, 2018 3:30 PM

Dec 2017
SadMadoka said:

Those are all phenomenal anime. You might as well not score anything if you're incapable of comprehending (or unwilling to discover) their greatness.

"how dare you have an opinion"
what..
HussAug 30, 2018 4:20 PM
Aug 30, 2018 4:44 PM

May 2016
I use the entire scoring scale because I'm not a fucking tool.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Aug 30, 2018 10:12 PM

Aug 2014
Huss said:
"how dare you have an opinion"
what..

It has come to my attention (via my network of loyal adherents) that you posted a screenshot of yours truly on another site.

I commend you for spreading the gospel of Madokaism. /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Great Pepe too. Very expressive.

But lol... I'm not telling you to not have an opinion; I'm saying your opinion of an anime is practically useless if you have not even watched (as in finished) the damn thing in the first place.

I wouldn't want to read a movie review written by someone who hadn't seen the full movie. Sure, this is different, but the same principle applies: you're making judgments based on ignorance, tantamount to (or in your case, literally, given what you posted) claiming something is outright bad, while the vast majority of those who have actually watched the things you didn't would vehemently disagree.

Don't get me wrong; you can watch whatever you like, drop whatever you like, score however you like, and even to an extent say whatever you like. It's your life and your list.

It's a good move to forgo scoring dropped titles...but not good enough.

You made the mistake of coming here and spouting off, so don't be surprised when you provoke the ire of the uncompromising segment of the community such as myself.

And yeah, I'm being a prick about this with some of the things I've said, but I think you need this proverbial smack in the face to bring you to your senses.

A great way to lose credibility is to drop some of the most well-regarded anime and brag about it.

"I haven't seen it, but it sucks!" Don't you see how vacuous that makes you look?

That's a lot worse than bashing things you completed (which would be totally fine with many of us, especially if you explained your perspective thoroughly) or using a rating scale most would take umbrage with. (I for one don't care how you score things as long as you finished them.)

You've patiently watched through plenty of anime that aren't even remotely as good as the ones I listed. Yes, this is just an opinion...but at least I completed all of them to make my own informed opinions.

Your refusal to do so shatters any semblance of authority you may have otherwise had in my eyes. And it's not the mere fact you dropped them; like I said, that's your business and your right; it's that you had the gall to publicly disparage them in such a manner that belittles the fanbase. I, in turn, deprecated your willful negligence and likened it to ineptitude.

Basically what I'm saying is that there is a world of difference between having an informed opinion and prematurely lambasting things you lack sufficient knowledge and/or experience of.

Oh well...at least we both adore Hunter x Hunter, Shinsekai Yori, FMAB and Kaiji. Bonus points for Rosario + Vampire (my favorite manga) in your favorites.

Personally, I don't score anything. You can read my post about that here.

I also have a no drop policy, but I'm hardcore. \m/
SmugSatokoAug 30, 2018 10:18 PM
Aug 30, 2018 10:23 PM

Oct 2012
SadMadoka said:
Sure, this is different, but the same principle applies: you're making judgments based on ignorance, tantamount to (or in your case, literally, given what you posted) claiming something is outright bad, while the vast majority of those who have actually watched the things you didn't would vehemently disagree.
Sorry -- and this has been discussed ad nauseum -- but you're ignorant if you think you need to watch an entire show to have an informed opinion about it. It's like saying you need to eat an entire dish to describe how good it was, even though the first bite was so burnt, it gave you cancer.

Secondly, I don't speak for OP, but it doesn't matter if the vast majority disagree with an opinion as long as it's reasonably supported. Popular opinion does not make things fact. If that were true, Justin Bieber would be more talented than Miles Davis, or Liszt.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Aug 30, 2018 11:17 PM

Jul 2016
When I rate a show 7 means I liked it. The difference between a 7 and a 9 is big for me. A 10 show is a hundred times better than a six. Anything below six I drop. The 1-10 scale exists for a reason.
Aug 30, 2018 11:25 PM

Dec 2014
If anyone wants to rate in mal in any system other than 1-10 please spread it out to 1-10 range.
Eg: you want a 5* system
1* -> 1 or 2
2* -> 3 or 4
3* -> 5 or 6
4* -> 7 or 8
5* -> 9 or 10

It isn't hard, and it doesn't f*ck with the native system in MaL that much. (And I know that most ppl. who are blaming X airing anime to be overrated/overhyped are the ones who rate from 5-10..... )
Aug 30, 2018 11:29 PM

Aug 2014
katsucats said:
Sorry -- and this has been discussed ad nauseum -- but you're ignorant if you think you need to watch an entire show to have an informed opinion about it. It's like saying you need to eat an entire dish to describe how good it was, even though the first bite was so burnt, it gave you cancer.

Secondly, I don't speak for OP, but it doesn't matter if the vast majority disagree with an opinion as long as it's reasonably supported. Popular opinion does not make things fact. If that were true, Justin Bieber would be more talented than Miles Davis, or Liszt.

Tell me more about these things you have not seen.

Your food analogy is entirely different because, for the purposes of this argument, the food will taste the same for each bite. Episodes of an anime series, by contrast, can vary dramatically, including plot twists near the end. You literally don't even know what happened in the later parts you didn't see (unless you cheated by looking it up), so your opinion is by its very nature based on ignorance, and thus not informed enough in this context.

When I talk about informed opinions here, I am referring to experiencing everything that happens; not merely having some degree of knowledge about it. My definition (again, in this context) is clearly less loose than yours. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines an informed opinion as "a belief, judgment or way of thinking about something based on information." However, it's pointless to use such a broad definition in this discussion, because otherwise you could say that anyone who reads something as simple as a synopsis paragraph, without ever watching a single episode, has an informed opinion. I'll acknowledge that it comes down to what one considers adequate knowledge; I just happen to use completion as my own benchmark.

Your second point is valid, but also missing the point: the most well-regarded anime on MAL have a better likelihood of being higher quality in general, given their track record. They've already been put through the stringent process of assessment by the community at large. It's true that these opinions are ultimately subjective and not a reliable gauge of what any given indidivual will prefer...but we're not talking about someone forming an opinion after finishing something; we're talking about someone refusing to finish it, and consequently forming their opinion based on a woefully incomplete experience.

Let's use an anime we both love as an example: Steins;Gate. If someone watched the first episode, dropped it, scored the show a 1/10 out of pure spite, and told the world about how they think it's an atrocious abomination not worth watching, wouldn't you conclude that this individual does not have a very well-informed opinion and that their appraisal is based on (among other things) ignorance of the events in the subsequent episodes?

If others want to listen to those who haven't seen something rather than those who have, that's their loss.

You can pretend you're sufficiently informed about an anime you haven't finished if you want, but don't expect everyone who has actually seen it to take you seriously.
SmugSatokoAug 30, 2018 11:33 PM
Aug 30, 2018 11:49 PM

Jun 2017
You're right about yourself but how many users with the above 8 average score have the same system ratings?!
Aug 31, 2018 2:44 AM

Oct 2012
SadMadoka said:
Your food analogy is entirely different because, for the purposes of this argument, the food will taste the same for each bite. Episodes of an anime series, by contrast, can vary dramatically, including plot twists near the end. You literally don't even know what happened in the later parts you didn't see (unless you cheated by looking it up), so your opinion is by its very nature based on ignorance, and thus not informed enough in this context.
Nah, episodes of an anime, or any other medium, never change. The plot changes, but not the narrative voice. A book author who wrote the first chapter is still the same author who wrote the last, unless he set his manuscript down for 15 years and had a whole career in between. But then, if he was worth his salt, he would've updated the earlier parts to maintain consistent quality. You might have heard before that it's not what happens in a story that matters, but how it's told. Every bit of that is true. A very informed critic can accurately pinpoint the quality of anime within 7 minutes of the first episode. If you can't, personally, I'd wager you're not really watching.

SadMadoka said:
When I talk about informed opinions here, I am referring to experiencing everything that happens; not merely having some degree of knowledge about it.
Sort of like the burnt food, which is...

SadMadoka said:
My definition (again, in this context) is clearly less loose than yours. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines an informed opinion as "a belief, judgment or way of thinking about something based on information." However, it's pointless to use such a broad definition in this discussion, because otherwise you could say that anyone who reads something as simple as a synopsis paragraph, without ever watching a single episode, has an informed opinion. I'll acknowledge that it comes down to what one considers adequate knowledge; I just happen to use completion as my own benchmark.
Argument ad absurdum. All else equal, a person who has tasted the entire burnt dish has more information than a person who had just one bite, then drank water. But all else is not necessarily equal. For example, a person who has taste buds could have told you that the food was burnt on the first bite, and he did not need to eat the entire dish to have enough information to evaluate. Likewise, 7 minutes is sufficient. A director who depicts immature characters with no details and nuance dooms the anime within that time, and none of the 450 or so anime I've seen proved otherwise.

SadMadoka said:
Your second point is valid, but also missing the point: the most well-regarded anime on MAL have a better likelihood of being higher quality in general, given their track record. They've already been put through the stringent process of assessment by the community at large. It's true that these opinions are ultimately subjective and not a reliable gauge of what any given indidivual will prefer...but we're not talking about someone forming an opinion after finishing something; we're talking about someone refusing to finish it, and consequently forming their opinion based on a woefully incomplete experience.
Not finishing an anime is not having no information. We call that black and white thinking.

SadMadoka said:
Let's use an anime we both love as an example: Steins;Gate. If someone watched the first episode, dropped it, scored the show a 1/10 out of pure spite, and told the world about how they think it's an atrocious abomination not worth watching, wouldn't you conclude that this individual does not have a very well-informed opinion and that their appraisal is based on (among other things) ignorance of the events in the subsequent episodes?
And we call this a strawman. We are not talking about someone who rates something out of "pure spite", but out of what they adequately observed.

SadMadoka said:
If others want to listen to those who haven't seen something rather than those who have, that's their loss.
Or gain, I would say. I would go as far as venture that if someone needed -- actually needed -- to see the entire show to figure out his opinions on a show, his opinions probably isn't worth much even after finishing it, because it shows he wasn't even paying attention in the first place. In fact, the idea that there's this magic cut-off point of no-knowledge to full-knowledge is world breaking. It actually would defeat all science. But I posit that this isn't actually your real position, and that you've misled yourself into thinking this to somehow prove your hardcore-ness in anime-watching. You wouldn't suggest someone stay in an abusive relationship, because, who knows, it might get better at the end?

SadMadoka said:
You can pretend you're sufficiently informed about an anime you haven't finished if you want, but don't expect everyone who has actually seen it to take you seriously.
Don't care about those people to be honest. I don't take them seriously.

SadMadoka said:
Your food analogy is entirely different because, for the purposes of this argument, the food will taste the same for each bite.
P.S. You have no idea how ironic this statement is.
katsucatsAug 31, 2018 3:22 PM
THE CHAT CLUB.
Aug 31, 2018 3:28 AM

Dec 2009
SadMadoka said:

But lol... I'm not telling you to not have an opinion; I'm saying your opinion of an anime is practically useless if you have not even watched (as in finished) the damn thing in the first place.

1. Do you believe it possible to accurately (even correctly) predict whether a show will be *bad* based on watching just the first episode?

2. Do you believe it possible to accurately (even correctly) predict whether a show will be *good* based on watching just the first episode?
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Aug 31, 2018 3:37 AM
Jul 2018
I admit that there are a few anime I rate terribly just because I have a grudge against them. However, I rate 99% of my anime out of enjoyment. Since not every anime is absolute trash, most of my ratings are 7-10. Therefore, I pretty much agree with what the OP is saying.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 36 minutes ago

1 by MeanMrMusician »»
22 seconds ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

31 by BatoKusanagi »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 7 hours ago

18 by MeanMrMusician »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

87 by downymaiden »»
4 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

206 by Thanatos1 »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.