Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 24, 2018 8:35 PM

Feb 2014
What bothers me a bit here on MAL is that whenever i want to talk only about a specific series, it has to be in the forum for that specific series (Which, in my personal experience, i may be wrong, tends to get less views than on AD).

For most things, this isn't usually a problem... now, there is one instance where it is, indeed, a problem: When i want to make criticism about a certain series.
If i was allowed to make such thread on AD i would possibly get to hear both sides, the things is, if i have to make it in the series' forum i will probably just get answers from people who are fans of such series, and boy i don't wanna fight an army.

In situations like this i usually just go to r/anime, but the thing is that r/anime is a huge hugbox that if you make a post that is only 99% positive you are getting downvoted for no reason, and downvotes = less visibility.

Having my situation in mind, what is the appeal of Cowboy Bebop?

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
BrandonSep 2, 2018 7:18 AM
Aug 24, 2018 8:48 PM

Aug 2018
There will be debate shit storms, are u a demon.
Aug 24, 2018 9:57 PM

Oct 2015
Just make one here and the mods will have to move it eventually. Problem solved
Aug 24, 2018 9:58 PM

Jul 2011
If you want a community that isn't biased then go on /a/. I'm not joking.
Aug 24, 2018 10:02 PM

Feb 2014
shootinmage said:
If you want a community that isn't biased then go on /a/. I'm not joking.

I actually haven't thought of that.
Thank you. (I'm not being sarcastic)
Aug 24, 2018 10:03 PM

Jun 2017
For me? I just love mercenaries and bounty hunters. Mix it with a killer OST and iconic scenes and a solid story with some amazing episodes . Sold. There are a couple of boring episodes but didn't really mind it.

Aug 24, 2018 10:19 PM

Feb 2010
I think both the fanboys and the haters go to the series discussion forums. The people who don't have very strong opinions about it either way are more likely to be just on AD so idk what you really want. The strongest opinions of both sides will usually be in the series discussion.

As for the appeal of Cowboy Bebop, I'd copypaste what I wrote on my blog but those are still down on MAL so idk. Let me just say that almost every episode displays a level of talent and creativity in terms of directing, cinematography, soundtrack timing, choosing a way to end it, and often also animation quality and (subtle) character development that most episodes on their own, if they were just standalone shorts, would impress the fuck out of me. Having so many high quality eps combined in one show is just amazing, not to mention that they even manage to have a very memorable and emotionally impactful finale that all the developments lead to. Most shows can't even manage to come up with one ending for themselves that is remotely as perfect of a fit as the endings for the majority of Bebop eps are. That is just fascination for me.

I can honestly say if the 26 episodes of Bebop were each individual anime, about 20 of them would still easily make it to my top 50 anime. That's just not the case for almost any other anime I ever watched since a lot of the time the individual episodes have almost no standalone appeal. That alone cements it as one of my favorites of all time. It just does things no other anime even tries to do, and succeeds with an ease that almost seems unfair. If you don't like episodic anime you won't like it, but you also can't really judge it fairly. You can just say it's not your type of show. Episodic anime with adult casts are my favorite type of show, and I can safely say that Bebop is simply the best at delivering that kind of content.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 24, 2018 10:26 PM

Jan 2018
Oh, cowboy bebop. Hmm, okay I guess.
Aug 24, 2018 10:38 PM

Oct 2017
This is so dumb...

You say everything about "your" criticism. Yet, didn't say shit about Cowboy Bebop. Many people do go to anime series board, but only those who are like strongly attracted to it (both haters/fans).
Aug 24, 2018 10:44 PM

Feb 2015
What bothers me a bit here on MAL is that whenever i want to talk only about a specific series, it has to be in the forum for that specific series (Which, in my personal experience, i may be wrong, tends to get less views than on AD).

MAL AD rules fam. I do agree that AD is place that will rip every reply there is, every reaction there is, and every troll there is as long as your thread is made with that baiting skill...

In situations like this i usually just go to r/anime, but the thing is that r/anime is a huge hugbox that if you make a post that is only 99% positive you are getting downvoted for no reason, and downvotes = less visibility.

I don't understand why you're mentioning Reddit things on MAL
Aug 24, 2018 10:59 PM

Feb 2014
KatsutoSaki said:
This is so dumb...

You say everything about "your" criticism. Yet, didn't say shit about Cowboy Bebop. Many people do go to anime series board, but only those who are like strongly attracted to it (both haters/fans).

Now that you mention it, yeah, perhaps i should've.

@Pullman

I wouldn't say my problem was the series being episodic.

For me CB works better being interpreted as a bunch of "Stories" OVA's for a previous series that made us care about every character, and i can respect that.
The problem is that there is no such series, so not being able to care about the characters really bothered my experience.

I just want to hear the opinion of people who liked the show but at the same time don't consider it "the masterpiece of humanity" about why they liked it without people saying that "i watched it wrong" and that "this is just my opinion", it would help me understand it better.
Aug 24, 2018 11:29 PM
Jan 2016
Wait a minute, are you the same person who made that low-effort post on r/anime criticizing Cowboy Bebop titled "Listen, Cowboy Bebop is trash. It needs to be said?"
Aug 24, 2018 11:33 PM

Dec 2017
"but the thing is that r/anime is a huge hugbox that if you make a post that is only 99% positive you are getting downvoted for no reason, and downvotes = less visibility."

Instead of r/anime why don't you post it in the respective subreddit that's dedicated to whichever anime you want to discuss/criticize? You're more likely to get feedback and generate discussion with people that are interested in the anime you want to criticize.

EGOIST said:

Or you could just do this at the risk of mods telling you to stop doing it of course.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Aug 24, 2018 11:40 PM

Oct 2012
Pullman said:
I can honestly say if the 26 episodes of Bebop were each individual anime, about 20 of them would still easily make it to my top 50 anime.
On the other hand, I can honestly say that out of 26 episodes, about 20 of them are utterly mediocre. Cowboy Bebop follows the same standard template as most of the other shows in its time. You can take out the space setting and replace it with the wild west, and it becomes Trigun. Replace it with samurais and it becomes Samurai Champloo. The first third of the season always started out with episodic fillers. The second third was villain of the week arcs. And the last third tried to tie it together. The only reason Cowboy Bebop is a big deal in my mind is due to nostalgia of the people who grew up watching Toonami, the same reason Pokemon is considered great, even though... it's not.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Aug 24, 2018 11:42 PM

Dec 2015
I first watched Cowboy Bebop back when I was 14 years old; six episodes in and I dropped it even though I rarely drop an anime, movie or book. I kept thinking to myself "how can people like this crap? There is no story, it's just random characters doing random things".

It wasn't until last year that I gave it another try after watching Super Eyepatch Wolf's video on it. I loved it. I can't explain why I didn't like it back then like I do now.
Aug 25, 2018 2:07 AM

Feb 2010
thewiru said:
KatsutoSaki said:
This is so dumb...

Now that you mention it, yeah, perhaps i should've.

@Pullman

I wouldn't say my problem was the series being episodic.

For me CB works better being interpreted as a bunch of "Stories" OVA's for a previous series that made us care about every character, and i can respect that.
The problem is that there is no such series, so not being able to care about the characters really bothered my experience.

I just want to hear the opinion of people who liked the show but at the same time don't consider it "the masterpiece of humanity" about why they liked it without people saying that "i watched it wrong" and that "this is just my opinion", it would help me understand it better.

I mean in the end it is just your opinion and my opinion and it's pretty clear from the start that someone who didn't like the show and someone who did just saw different things in it and you will never be able to just, idk, assimilate the experience of someone who liked it if you personally didn't, and the other way round, no matter how much they articulate their experience to you. All I can do is tell you why I love it and you will give the predictable response of 'I didn't experience it like that' in some sort of variation and that's more or less the end of it. Not sure what else you expect from me, what reaction you expect to have towards someone simply telling you a bunch of reasons why they liked something that obviously didn't apply to you, since you didn't like that same thing.

To me it still sounds like you don't know what to make of a semi-episodic series like that because getting to know and care about the characters is literally most that the show is about, aside from cultural references, style and fantastic animation. Pretty much every episode contributes smaller or larger parts to the characterization of one of the main characters, their personality, values or history, along with certain themes that are present throughout the series and get showcased from various angles. Personally I think most of it was masterfully done in Bebop but that's not even the point. If you don't even see the characterization and to me it's the core appeal of the series, there isn't much to talk about.

I love these kind of shows in general because of how they use characterization and thematical continuity to tie together a series of individual stories that each have to be made up from scratch and given some kind of impact, framing, meaning and accessability of their own while most series only have to come up with one main story and then fill that one with more details along the way. It's just a different kind of skillset and experience and one that I personally hold in higher regard because at the highest levels it's what brings me the most enjoyment and fills me with the most awe.

In the end it often boils down to people not valuing characterization as much as character development while for me it might be the other way round. If you found it hard to care about the characters in Bebop than maybe that's because you need a start and a finish point to their story and development in between, something to latch onto while you experience a show. I think a lot of people do, consciously or subconsciously, which is why episodic series are often polarizing, but that might or might not apply to you, I don't know you that well.

Personally I like the idea of people not changing or developing but rather showing different aspects of themselves in different situations. Starting out with a 'raw' character and 'developing' them into a hero or villain or whatever the story asks for is an idealization in my opinion. Often enjoyable and embedded with meaning in the context of storytelling, but still an idealization that gives a frame and direction to any story which makes it easier to captivate the viewers attention. I appreciate episodic series not trying to take advantage of that readily available pattern and instead taking the difficult but perhaps more realistic approach of presenting us fully 'developed' characters that know who they are and are not gonna change anymore, and slowly introducing us to different aspects of them, their reasons, their values, their history.

Instead of accompanying a character becoming who they will be or want to be or have to be, it's more like getting to know someone who's already experienced all the character-forming stuff that so many stories are about, in retrospect. If development is looking forward with a character and experiencing their story with them, characterization is looking backwards with them and reflecting with them and I find that both more challenging as a writer and more enjoyable as a viewer. That's just me. I can't help but feel that that's just a fundamental difference between me and most people who don't love Bebop or other episodic series as much as I do. It's not a matter of you watching wrong or me watching it right, but it is a matter of us watching it very differently and getting different results in terms of our enjoyment, partly because of those differences.

I don't even need the thematic continuity and impactful culmination that Bebop had to love these kind of shows. Master Keaton and Gallery Fake don't really have those and they are still ranking very highly among my favorites. Those aspects are just a fantastic bonus that Bebop offers, along with its fantastic animation and cinematography, its playful references, the characters fitting some of my most beloved archetypes, and my personal favorite, its talent for finding the perfect ways to end its episodic stories. Giving me all these things on top of already doing my favorite thing in storytelling - episodic characterization in a cool setting - make it my alltime favorite show. I doubt that will help you much or change anything about your opinion of the show, but that's how it is.

After multiple rewatches, each being more enjoyable than the previous one, those impactful and memorable final scenes is what stuck with me and impresses me the most so I want to talk about them for a bit. I'm not someone who sees a bad or mediocre ending to a story as a dealbreaker (I love Erased for example despite its lackluster ending) but at the same time I very rarely encounter an ending, and I mean the real ending as in the very last scene you get to see of a story, that really leaves a lasting impression. Most stories pick safe ways to end a show, or unimpressive ones, or just straight-up questionable or meaningless last scenes. Even ones that have thematically or narratively daring endings, often have lackluster final scenes just because they don't really know how to leave with an impact.

Bebop has so many fantastic endings that I can probably say the rest of all the anime and TV Series I watched combined don't amount to as many 10/10 final scenes as there are in the 26 episodes of Bebop, in my perception. They almost always choose a perfect point in the story, that carries some emotion or meaning for the characters and/or the viewers and has very cinematographic imagery, animate it beautifully, underline it with the best possible soundtrack for that kind of scene (Thanks to Yoko Kanno, from what I know Watanabe framed some scenes and even episodes around her soundtracks just to give them the best possible scene to shine in) and then just end it without trying to force more out of the scene than it is - which is usually just a moment that carries a particular emotion or feeling, be it beauty, sadness, love, melancholy, nostalgia or any of the numerous other aspects the show delves into and which have usually been the defining aspects of that particular episode.

No other show has that many moments that gave me goosebumps or just really impressed me in terms of the whole combination of visuals, music and thematical exploration culminating in a single strong and impactful scene. Other shows have these moments too of course, maybe even stronger moments than Bebop has I'd say, but usually only a few over the course of their duration, and generally mostly towards the end as the culmination of the story or a part of the story. But Bebop has a density of them that I just never encountered in other anime, even among my favorites not many can compare. And it gets better each time I rewatch it, which is fascinating in itself.

So yeah, that's how I feel about the show, that's why I love it more than any other anime. Too vague for you? Sorry. If we watched the show together I could point to every scene I find great and explain how it impacts me and what I think it is trying to achieve and why I think it does achieve that and more, but that seems unlikely to happen. Until then this will have to do, although I doubt it will be very helpful for you. At the end I feel like most of the time you either understand what people like about a show from the start and simply disagree, or you never understand what is appealing about it. These 'aha, now I get that show after a random dude on the internet explained its appeal to me' moments just happen very, very rarely.

katsucats said:
Pullman said:
I can honestly say if the 26 episodes of Bebop were each individual anime, about 20 of them would still easily make it to my top 50 anime.
On the other hand, I can honestly say that out of 26 episodes, about 20 of them are utterly mediocre. Cowboy Bebop follows the same standard template as most of the other shows in its time. You can take out the space setting and replace it with the wild west, and it becomes Trigun. Replace it with samurais and it becomes Samurai Champloo. The first third of the season always started out with episodic fillers. The second third was villain of the week arcs. And the last third tried to tie it together. The only reason Cowboy Bebop is a big deal in my mind is due to nostalgia of the people who grew up watching Toonami, the same reason Pokemon is considered great, even though... it's not.

That is all very fascinating and I definitely read your post for sure and everything, but at the end of the day OP was asking why people like it, what they find appealing about it. He can already provide the perspective of someone who isn't a fan of the show for himself, so your reply seems quite useless for the purpose of this thread. Still, I appreciate your perspective. You have been heard. I disagree. I didn't even watch Bebop until the 2010s and Toonami isn't even a thing in my country so play the nostalgia card elsewhere.

You might even be trolling or baiting, idk anymore, I'm just in a drunk rambling phase of fanboying over Bebop and trying to cover all my bases. And I think I'm done now.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 25, 2018 2:25 AM

Jun 2011
Cowboy Bebop has some of the best character design work and backgrounds I have ever seen. Very diverse. Beautiful. Different body types. And I will agree with Pullman, one of the best final episodes in all of anime if not the best.

Sadly, I couldn't connect with the humor of the series and struggled with their "mascot characters" AKA Ed and Ien. Where most people who love the series love them, I think, for me, they detracted from the whole pie. Where I was just really interested in Faye's storyline, I felt like things I was genuinely interested in were always being interrupted by those two.

Where Pen Pen felt unobtrusive as a mascot trope in a 90's anime that was Evangelion, the Mascot characters of Bebop were an integral part to the enjoyment and I just, didn't enjoy them.

But that doesn't take away the amazing character design work, the backgrounds, the diverse feeling of it. The music.... Just everything is masterful and purposeful. I think when I first saw it, I felt disappointed as it was touted as best anime ever, but consider that now, that anime is Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood and what was even around in 1998 or in the case of people watching it in 2000/2001 yeah what the fuck else was there? It would be a bit before we got FLCL and a lot of people look back on that and have no idea why it was so important or loved back then.

But even if you compare Bebop to a modern anime, with different walking animations, fluid running, different ways of being and bodies for every character.... I mean compare that to most anime and you would be hard pressed to find such versatile design work. It's style is really stunning even if I am more drawn to characters, I can see that.

It is like asking what the appeal of Evangelion is. Both have catchy theme songs and memorable characters that feel relevant even now but whether you like the imperfect beautiful mess that is Evangelion or Bebop which is well crafted from start to finish is all up to what kind of viewer you are.

PS. Like Pullman, I didn't watch it until much later. I watched it around 2011. I did watch Evangelion sooner than Bebop. But I don't think Nostalgia is it for it. With Inuyasha, yeah sure, very nostalgic. Gravitation, yes, because it was the first shonen ai I saw, first show in Japanese, and first manga I completed. Chobits, yes, nostalgia, because my sister loved it and it made me feel special when she watched even one anime with me. I think I have more nostalgia for how I felt watching Yuri on Ice the first time than I do Cowboy bebop. XD
Energetic-NovaAug 25, 2018 2:45 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Aug 25, 2018 2:36 AM

Apr 2018
To be honest This thread is just stupid op
Aug 25, 2018 3:12 AM

Jun 2011
Reina_Orikasa said:
"but the thing is that r/anime is a huge hugbox that if you make a post that is only 99% positive you are getting downvoted for no reason, and downvotes = less visibility."

Instead of r/anime why don't you post it in the respective subreddit that's dedicated to whichever anime you want to discuss/criticize? You're more likely to get feedback and generate discussion with people that are interested in the anime you want to criticize.

EGOIST said:

Or you could just do this at the risk of mods telling you to stop doing it of course.

If they weren't talking about Bebop, and instead wanting to talk about how they felt about Kumo to Tulip, I would feel differently.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Aug 25, 2018 3:13 AM
Jul 2018
"what is the appeal of Cowboy Bebop?"
i don't know either,i have a friend who has been asking me to watch it since 2015
Aug 25, 2018 3:56 AM

Aug 2018
Excuse me, cowboy Bebop is not trash.
Aug 25, 2018 4:02 AM

Feb 2018
If everyone starts putting Series discussions into AD then there won't be enough space for our precious shit posts.
Aug 25, 2018 4:24 AM

Apr 2013
1) I've seen both side roaming out on specific series forum, you have fan sure, but you have regular haters that just can't help but answer every thread (apparently they have nothing better to do than talking about why they hate something, noice).
2) Why do you feel the need to create that thread to begin with? That's the real problem here. On AD it will be drown into answers from peoples who haven't even watched the show; so it's not better at all anyway. So, why do you feel that you need to create a thread just to criticize something you disliked , but you also on top of this need it to be where your criticism won't receive to much criticism in return? I thought MAL's review section were there for that tbh. So many hater's review with 0 informative value out there that no one can downvote because no downvote allowed, so pretty sure that"s what it's for.
Aug 25, 2018 4:38 AM

May 2018
thewiru said:

Great animations, great character designs, great backgrounds, great mechanical design (there is something very Gundam about it), great shot compositions and great "camera angles". Everything visual is great (well except few CGI scenes here an there also the messed up character design and character animations of Fay in episode 3).
Some of the best voice actors and they play their roles with gusto.
The music is rich, diverse and pools the show to another level. (I think the OST is more popular that the anime itself.)
Sound design - just perfect.
Story - yes, some people don't like it's episodic nature, the mood shifts and the tons of references - from Lupin III, Bruce Lee and Shaft to Pierrot le Fou. I don't mind them. Also the setting is really interesting and the main story comes in the form of puzzle pieces.
And lastly - those main characters are unique (well Spike and Jet are some variations of Lupin III and Jigen but with original twists), intriguing and memorable.
Aug 25, 2018 7:41 AM

Feb 2017
I remembered that there was a thread about this a while back and I went and found my thoughts from that, I both liked the show (though not as much as some) and think it's a truly excellent one though it wasn't what I was looking for at the time (eg. Something with a more continous and epic plot) anyway here are some reasons I think Bebop was/is a big deal:

1. It was a major gateway anime for many, sometimes their first anime and sometimes their first "mature" anime (aka not pokemon, dragon ball etc).

2. For it's age it looks incredible and has excellent action.

3. It has both in my own opinion and in the general concensus one of the best soundtracks in anime, a soundtrack that is also quite distinctive.

4. It also has one of the only dubs everyone seems to think is good.

5. It's more western influenced than the vast majority of anime which makes it more accesible to new viewers (you don't need to really know anything about Japan or anime tropes to get anything)

6. It's very different to most anime out there which makes it refreshing to more seasoned anime viewers.

7. Anime viewers are nerds and nerds love space westerns.

incidentally the movie is really good too. it's in my top 5 for non-Ghibli anime films.
Aug 25, 2018 12:44 PM

Feb 2014
KuuhakuDesu said:
"Series Discussion" threads getting fewer views than "Anime Discussion" ones is actually the natural state of things, since the former is more specific than the latter, hence reaching fewer people.

If you don't get enough people to discuss a certain show in SD, don't like how Reddit works and isn't willing to find any other means to discuss it, then that's not AD's issue, tbh.

How 'bout becoming an Anituber?
I'm pretty sure some people here would discuss whatever you said in your videos (if you're popular enough, that is).

Having what I said in mind, why the fuck did you just try to slip in Cowboy Bebop in this and didn't you post a similar thread a couple weeks ago?

Probably not, having in mind that MAL was down some weeks ago and i had not watched CB yet by that time.

TheServant said:
Wait a minute, are you the same person who made that low-effort post on r/anime criticizing Cowboy Bebop titled "Listen, Cowboy Bebop is trash. It needs to be said?"

No, i'm not.
Reina_Orikasa said:

EGOIST said:

Because then we end with the same problem we started with.
Aug 25, 2018 1:14 PM

May 2009
The issue with series-specific subforums is that they're so hidden away that no one browses them casually; the only people who go there are the ones intentionally looking to talk about that one series.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 25, 2018 1:15 PM

Feb 2015
You could always write a blog entry about it, but then you probably won't get many people to read it...
Aug 25, 2018 1:19 PM

Feb 2014
katsucats said:
Pullman said:

Yep, i could say i feel the same way as you described.

Saitama012 said:
Excuse me, cowboy Bebop is not trash.

I don't remember saying it was.
But feel free to try yo defend it with arguments.

alshu said:
thewiru said:

Great animations, great character designs, great backgrounds, great mechanical design (there is something very Gundam about it), great shot compositions and great "camera angles". Everything visual is great (well except few CGI scenes here an there also the messed up character design and character animations of Fay in episode 3).
Some of the best voice actors and they play their roles with gusto.
The music is rich, diverse and pools the show to another level. (I think the OST is more popular that the anime itself.)
Sound design - just perfect.
Story - yes, some people don't like it's episodic nature, the mood shifts and the tons of references - from Lupin III, Bruce Lee and Shaft to Pierrot le Fou. I don't mind them. Also the setting is really interesting and the main story comes in the form of puzzle pieces.
And lastly - those main characters are unique (well Spike and Jet are some variations of Lupin III and Jigen but with original twists), intriguing and memorable.

Checklists won't do it for me.
And whenever someone talks about CB's OST the first thing that comes to my mind was one guitar chord every five seconds with silence between then.

Dividing it in animation, backgrounds and etc and saying that each one of then was great doesn't actually say anything to me of why you liked it. For me it's like eating a burger and then rating each inridient of it individually.
In the end you're just answering me "i like it because it's good", the same argument that creates "that 3x3" problem.

@SimeonStylitses

"6. It's very different to most anime out there which makes it refreshing to more seasoned anime viewers."

I really can't relate to that, because just searching some seasonals i already find stuff that "is very different to most anime out there"
thewiruAug 25, 2018 1:22 PM
Aug 25, 2018 1:27 PM

Oct 2012
Zefyris said:
2) Why do you feel the need to create that thread to begin with? That's the real problem here. On AD it will be drown into answers from peoples who haven't even watched the show; so it's not better at all anyway.
So what you're saying is that because you're pessimistic about discussion being possible, all discussion is bad? That's not reasonable, since you're here.

Zefyris said:
So, why do you feel that you need to create a thread just to criticize something you disliked , but you also on top of this need it to be where your criticism won't receive to much criticism in return?
OP thinks the general populace who dislikes a show would not browse to that show's subforum, so he would not be able to discuss a particular show with the general populace. It's actually a very good structural critique of MAL. He's not necessarily afraid of criticism, that's not what I read. He wants diversity. People discuss things they don't like for the same reason they discuss things they do like.

Zefyris said:
I thought MAL's review section were there for that tbh. So many hater's review with 0 informative value out there that no one can downvote because no downvote allowed, so pretty sure that"s what it's for.
It's almost like you're suggesting that anyone who dislikes a show can only do so because they haven't watched it. I bet you walk through poor neighborhoods with your eyes closed so that they aren't really poor.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Aug 25, 2018 1:41 PM

Oct 2012
katsucats said:
The only reason Cowboy Bebop is a big deal in my mind is due to nostalgia of the people who grew up watching Toonami
Let me correct myself. There's this effect that when you suggest that something is very good or a "masterpiece" to someone, he tries to see that side of it. So when everyone raves about how good Cowboy Bebop is, people try to watch it with that in mind, sometimes convincing themselves of it. I'm sure a lot of people watch the universally criticized and praised shows Mars of Destruction and Legend of Galactic Heroes respectively under the same influence. If they had just landed upon Mars by chance, they would have thought it was just another mediocre show. But since most people were introduced to it by "it's the worst show ever", they don't want to go against the grain, so they convince themselves that it actually is the worst show ever. Likewise, nobody really seeks out a show like LoGH without introduction.

So maybe you watched Cowboy Bebop and genuinely thought it was swell without much influence. I can't really see that in general. It's not bad. Even if it's good, it doesn't seem to live up to its almost universal adulation. When almost everyone says something is good, something is up.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Aug 25, 2018 3:27 PM

Apr 2013
katsucats said:
Zefyris said:
2) Why do you feel the need to create that thread to begin with? That's the real problem here. On AD it will be drown into answers from peoples who haven't even watched the show; so it's not better at all anyway.
So what you're saying is that because you're pessimistic about discussion being possible, all discussion is bad? That's not reasonable, since you're here.

Zefyris said:
So, why do you feel that you need to create a thread just to criticize something you disliked , but you also on top of this need it to be where your criticism won't receive to much criticism in return?
OP thinks the general populace who dislikes a show would not browse to that show's subforum, so he would not be able to discuss a particular show with the general populace. It's actually a very good structural critique of MAL. He's not necessarily afraid of criticism, that's not what I read. He wants diversity. People discuss things they don't like for the same reason they discuss things they do like.

Zefyris said:
I thought MAL's review section were there for that tbh. So many hater's review with 0 informative value out there that no one can downvote because no downvote allowed, so pretty sure that"s what it's for.
It's almost like you're suggesting that anyone who dislikes a show can only do so because they haven't watched it. I bet you walk through poor neighborhoods with your eyes closed so that they aren't really poor.

Next time, may I suggest that you properly read what I wrote before quoting me to answer, because none of the 3 points you make have anything to do with what I said.
Aug 26, 2018 1:45 AM

Aug 2018
Akerakai said:
To be honest This thread is just stupid op
Poor op who tried to be popular smart ass but failed. Lol
Saitama012Aug 26, 2018 1:51 AM
Aug 26, 2018 2:04 AM

Oct 2010
The appeal of cowboy bebop is simple
-space stuff
-hot girl
-cool mc
-quality music
-it looks old so let's call it a classic just because

There are a lot of anime with these ingredients, if you like it good for you. If you believe it's a masterpiece keep it to yourself, don't shove it in people's faces.
Aug 26, 2018 5:17 AM

Feb 2013
you could try making the thread topic on /a/...
ive seen the exact wording of "what's the appeal of X" several times there
Aug 26, 2018 5:36 AM

Feb 2017
thewiru said:

@SimeonStylitses

"6. It's very different to most anime out there which makes it refreshing to more seasoned anime viewers."

I really can't relate to that, because just searching some seasonals i already find stuff that "is very different to most anime out there"

I suppose that's a fair enough point if taken completely in isolation but it was only one factor I listed and surely it's clear that anime that are more distinct have a better chance of being remembered and achieving critical praise, though not necesarily a better chance at popularity of a more run of the mill show of comparable quality. This hardly applies to all such shows as you've pointed out but increased probability doesn't mean something is even likely much less certain. That and Bebop is an old show from a time when much less anime were produced each year or easily available outside Japan so you can hardly expect different shows from today to mostly attain the same cult status much less in such a short span of time.
Aug 26, 2018 6:25 AM

May 2018
thewiru said:

Checklists won't do it for me.

You asked what is the appeal to us not to convince you to change you dislike or something...

thewiru said:

And whenever someone talks about CB's OST the first thing that comes to my mind was one guitar chord every five seconds with silence between then.

Have you seen at least two episodes from it? Also are you ignoring the OP and ED?
If you dislike how it is used in the anime try to listen it separately - find the OST albums.

thewiru said:

In the end you're just answering me "i like it because it's good", the same argument that creates "that 3x3" problem.

What I try to say is "Cowboy Bebop's components are very high quality, also I like it's mood and short stories.". It is not an argument because I am not trying to change your opinion about this anime.

thewiru said:

like eating a burger and then rating each inridient of it individually.

But I would do that :o: .
Mar 14, 2019 2:25 PM
Aug 2018
The appeal of Cowboy Bebop is, That it is one of those anime’s that even people who despise anime can enjoy it because of the western influences and it’s unconventional story. I will admit for someone who see this as a masterpiece, The first 4 episodes are very slow paced and boring, but you have to get pass the 4 episode barrier to really enjoy the show because if you don’t you won’t really like the show at all. It has great characters (even though I didn’t like faye at all at first, eventually see became a really good character), Impeccable Soundtrack, wonderful animation (especially for the time it came out), and some of the best mixes of genres in anime. Everyone I see someone that dosent like the show can’t find any good or logical of why they can’t like the show at all but say baseless points, if it’s not your cup of tea that’s fine, if it’s too episodic for you that’s okay, but saying it’s bad or overrated without any good or logical points, you opinion is irrelevant.
Apr 8, 2019 9:02 AM

Aug 2018
Cowboy Bebop it is not only one of the best animated shows of the 90s, but it also has tons of memorable characters (every single main is interesting, has a remarkable personality and awesome arcs with excelsive development), an amazing ost made by the great Yoko Kanno (who also made other awesome works like GitS: SAC or Zankyou no Terror) and the Seatbelts, creating that awesome jazzy ambient, and the best without discussion ending in an anime, the perfect closure to what the series is trying to tell us.

If you are not into episodic animes, you won't find any kind of pleasure in this, but not enjoying something =/= being bad, and some people didn't learn that in school.
Apr 20, 2019 10:50 PM

Feb 2017
I like Cowboy Bebop but it can get very slow and boring, and its lack of a solid narrative consistent throughout the whole show is off-putting at first.
It has some cool characters and very nicely animated fights which I would say are the best things about it.
I definitely consider this one of the most overrated anime of all time though.
Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Metty - May 14, 2008

622 by TeeDeeHeeHee »»
Apr 17, 11:57 AM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

samurai_tom - Jul 16, 2009

88 by Coletty »»
Apr 15, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 14, 2008

109 by wallus81 »»
Apr 13, 11:26 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 14, 2008

122 by wallus81 »»
Apr 13, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 13, 2008

206 by wallus81 »»
Apr 13, 10:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.