Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 24, 2018 10:02 AM
Mar 2016
What are some anime with good world-building? not just big power systems but also the small details on surrounding world etc.

Bonus question= What do you think about MHA world-building so far (for a 50+ ep shounen anime)?
Aug 24, 2018 10:04 AM

Apr 2016
Fullmetal Alchemist (Both series) and Eureka Seven have some of my favorite world building in anime.
Aug 24, 2018 10:07 AM

Jul 2017
Hunter x Hunter has a pretty good worldbuilding for both the Nen powers system and the universe itself
Aug 24, 2018 10:10 AM

Feb 2018
AllHailLelouch87 said:
Hunter x Hunter has a pretty good worldbuilding for both the Nen powers system and the universe itself

Yea Hxh does that amazingly epecially with he phantom troupe.
Aug 24, 2018 10:12 AM

Nov 2016
One Piece has still the best world building I've seen.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 24, 2018 10:13 AM
Apr 2016
I agree with @AllHailLelouch87 hunter x hunter has absolutely nice worldbuilding and as for MHA its shit as hell! I mean wtf its like all top 100 or even 1000 heroes are from (or live in) the exact same region as well as the villains. Its like no other place other than japan even exists, even though it clearly does.
Aug 24, 2018 10:15 AM

Jan 2017
One Piece worldbuilding are outstanding, definitely the best I've ever seen.
But Hunter x Hunter worldbuilding are amazing too.
awesome
Aug 24, 2018 11:42 AM

Apr 2014
i love Digimon's worldbuilding. they didn't push it too far despite taking place in an actual built up digital world. i like Naruto too but there were times when I didn't really like theirs that much
Aug 24, 2018 11:45 AM

Aug 2013
The best worldbuilding I've seen in anime is Universal Century Gundam. Easily
Aug 24, 2018 11:51 AM

May 2018
Loads, Akagami no Shirayukihime, xxxHolic, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, some of the popular shonen series that I've watched one or two episodes of... Well, it just has to be something fresh really, and really represent the series, the world building.
Aug 24, 2018 12:14 PM

Dec 2008
Aria does a great job at world building, so does El Hazard-The Magnificent World.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Aug 24, 2018 5:22 PM
Aug 2016
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Hunter x Hunter 2011 have phenomenal world-building.
Aug 24, 2018 5:28 PM

Oct 2014
Overlord is a pretty good recent example. If anything, it spends too much time world-building.
Aug 24, 2018 5:42 PM

Mar 2017
Log Horizon is an anime with a worldbuilding prowess that had impressed me, and I'm weaned on the best of Western fantasy literature. If you know Brandon Sanderson's Three Laws of Magic, then all you have to know is that it understands and embraces that fully. It's Chekhov's Gun the Anime.

MMORPG-based isekai series have a distinct advantage over other isekai types: MMORPG mechanics allow for a pretty strong backbone in constructing a hard magic system. In fact, it’s one of the easiest ways of establishing a hard magic system, really.

Hard magic systems, as opposed to soft magic systems, have clearly defined rules so that the reader can understand and predict them, in accordance with Brandon Sanderson’s first of three laws of magic: “An author's ability to solve conflict with magic is directly proportional to how well the reader understands said magic.”

Log Horizon understands this, more than any other of the recent wave of isekai stories. And this is what enables the core strength of the series: interconnection. The author has a solid established system that he then gets to mix and match. He has established ingredients and then how he uses them determines his dish. And by god, he's making a lauriat. As per Sanderson's Third Law of Magic: "Expand on what you have already, before you add something new."

It is important to consider the effects that a magic will have on a world. If for example your magic can create food out of thin air, what will that cause, what will happen? How will it affect trade, politics, warfare, education and social norms? Asking these questions and working out what effects your magic system will add depth to your world.

And that is where the series shines the most. It's about payoffs to amazing little buildups that snowballed hard into importance. It's a series that continually expands on what it builds up and it doesn't end in just one payoff.

It's also an ever evolving world. It's not static, where discoveries are forgotten and the world is continually and forcefully stuck into one dynamic. No. Unique interaction of the game rules becoming reality slowly in multiple aspects, as well as character actions, shape and continually reshape the rules of the world.

And it's not done yet.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Aug 24, 2018 5:46 PM

Aug 2016
Haibane Renmei does a splendid job with its details.
Aug 24, 2018 5:47 PM

Jan 2016
I second Haibane Renmei, also Shinsekai Yori.
Aug 24, 2018 5:58 PM

May 2009
My guess is that you may want to try longer series. At least two cours. It can take time to iron out a lot of the details of a setting.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 24, 2018 6:01 PM

Dec 2017
avatar the last airbender has the best world-building i've ever witnessed

but i agree with GlennMagusHarvey, long series tend to have good world-building. fma wasn't bad, but it only covers amestris, xing and ishval are just mentioned (constructed) partially. even naruto had a better world-building than that
uninstallthegameAug 24, 2018 6:07 PM
Aug 24, 2018 8:09 PM

Aug 2013
Though it's world building is top-notch, I think in terms of lore, Legend of the Galactic Heroes has to be in the upper-echelon. It's insane how much history was created for the world.
Aug 24, 2018 8:12 PM

Sep 2015
Ummm why is no one talking about Made in abyss??? Absolutely amazing world building. Did yall just forget about it or something? JEEZ
Aug 24, 2018 8:13 PM

Sep 2013
zero no tsukaima for me was pretty well done, it was the reason that I overlooked the poorly executed harem.
Aug 24, 2018 8:15 PM

Sep 2013
loccodaniel1 said:
Ummm why is no one talking about Made in abyss??? Absolutely amazing world building. Did yall just forget about it or something? JEEZ

made in abyss is more like "hole building " lmao

I think it's pretty good as well, but they didn't talk much about other stuff non related to the abyss, like other kingdoms, I would be pretty interested in knowing that.
Aug 24, 2018 8:35 PM

Sep 2015
blumenbalt said:
loccodaniel1 said:

made in abyss is more like "hole building " lmao

I think it's pretty good as well, but they didn't talk much about other stuff non related to the abyss, like other kingdoms, I would be pretty interested in knowing that.
True but the abyss itself is the world building. It has soo much depth to it and unanswered questions about the many layers it has within it. The anime doesn't need to build a world outside of the abyss because the adventure itself happens within, it's little own world.
Aug 24, 2018 8:43 PM

Mar 2017
loccodaniel1 said:
True but the abyss itself is the world building. It has soo much depth to it and unanswered questions about the many layers it has within it. The anime doesn't need to build a world outside of the abyss because the adventure itself happens within, it's little own world.

No offense, but the second sentence seems to point to the idea that you're talking about what it can offer while others are talking about what has already been offered in their choice's run time.
Aug 24, 2018 9:03 PM

Sep 2015
Eanki said:
loccodaniel1 said:

No offense, but the second sentence seems to point to the idea that you're talking about what it can offer while others are talking about what has already been offered in their choice's run time.
How so? Mystery and uncertainty is a crucial part to making the "hole" so intriguing. Without it the story nor adventure would be half as interesting.
Aug 24, 2018 9:28 PM

Mar 2017
loccodaniel1 said:
Eanki said:

How so? Mystery and uncertainty is a crucial part to making the "hole" so intriguing. Without it the story nor adventure would be half as interesting.

Yes. But you're talking about what you think will be there but is not yet there, what it can potentially be when those mysteries and questions are answered, not what it has done so far in one cour. Made in Abyss is an interesting setting filled with mysteries and the questions and I'm waiting with bated breath for Season 2, but it's still just mysteries and questions at this point.
Aug 24, 2018 9:29 PM

Dec 2015
Shinsekai Yori does some great world building. It's one of the reasons the story works so well.

Aria's world is so well built it can almost count as the main character.
Aug 24, 2018 9:32 PM

Jul 2011
Watch SAO: Alicization when it comes out.

MHA's world-building is pretty sub-par. The focus of the story is the struggle between heroes and villains so it doesn't exactly need to focus on world-building.
Aug 24, 2018 9:36 PM

Mar 2012
That's the thing I love about Kekkai Sensen. Hellsalem Lot is just feel so alive.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 25, 2018 10:31 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
I want to say Made in Abyss but that one only got one season.

Plus several notes were left untranslated.
I'm thinking about just getting the entire manga series to get all the juice about the bittersweet hole that is the Abyss.

Gotta warn you though, it's for 17+, if you're a squeamish individual; don't watch it.
Aug 25, 2018 10:36 AM

Apr 2016
In terms of recent anime, Made in Abyss and Houseki no Kuni had the best world building.
Aug 25, 2018 10:43 AM

Apr 2014
Moved from Anime Discussion
Swagernator said:
@NoLiferSoul did nothing wrong!

Ardanaz said:
@Nolifersoul did nothing wrong
Aug 25, 2018 11:20 PM

May 2012
Juuni Kokuki
Seirei no Moribito
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin
Aug 25, 2018 11:40 PM

Jan 2018
A one hit wonder anime, that would be Deadman Wonderland. You can't build it wrong when it's literally a deadman wonderland.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/6880/Deadman_Wonderland?q=dead

More topics from this board

» Series with cute clothing and art style?

DaydreamPhoenix - 5 hours ago

2 by DaydreamPhoenix »»
47 minutes ago

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - 11 hours ago

6 by Ohayotaku »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Pick the best one for me.

phantom346 - Apr 12

6 by His0kaDevv »»
3 hours ago

» Any recommendations for similar Anime like this?

D_33 - Apr 10

13 by Dauphine »»
5 hours ago

» Manga where the childhood friend loses?

VanVeleca - 5 hours ago

0 by VanVeleca »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.