Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 23, 2018 10:08 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm really impressed by the way this show is able to sell all of its character cast and make them as valuable as it can be. Even Nana got her story this week and we found out more about her dreams.

Being able to perform on stage as herself really change her life.
Aug 23, 2018 1:21 PM

Apr 2015
Now that we know Nana is behind the loop, what did Hikari sacrifice to interrupt Nana's script?

Is Hikari even real?
befriend (v.): To violently attack someone with very dangerous and extremely powerful blasts of magical pink light until your target sees the validity of your viewpoint.
Aug 23, 2018 2:01 PM

Dec 2014
How did you guys even get to watch the episode? D:

Edit : Holy shit, thank god there's more to Hikari's story... maybe another episode later on focused on Hikari, and HOPEFULLY she gets another revue cause I love Mimorin's voice <3.
Damnit tho now I gotta wait till subs to understand some shit that I haven't with the raw version ;.;
Kaori6Aug 23, 2018 2:38 PM
Aug 23, 2018 4:11 PM

Dec 2014
TYxTxYT said:
Now that we know Nana is behind the loop, what did Hikari sacrifice to interrupt Nana's script?

Is Hikari even real?

Wait, what do you mean by that? did they ever hint at there being a loop in previous episodes?
Aug 25, 2018 3:54 AM

Nov 2016
Giraffe-kun said:
Suddenly, Nana Daiba dances and sings better than anyone else.

What a pleasant surprise watching this episode.
MinhQuan_LuuAug 25, 2018 4:00 AM
Aug 25, 2018 4:31 AM

May 2018
what the hell, Banana totally pulled off a Homura lol
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Aug 25, 2018 5:15 AM
Dec 2017
Ok, so I understand there is a time loop now, but I have a few questions that I hope any of you guys know the answers to.
1) So was the Revue we watched pre-Hikari, so it was before the ones we see normally?
2) The is the line of events for Nana (so for examle Event 1 --> Event 2 --> Loop
3) What is the line of events for the rest of cast (Ex: Class preforms Starlight --> Reception --> Nana beats Maya ---> She loops we stay ---> Commence normal ep order)
4) And how many time loops are shown in this episode?
Aug 25, 2018 5:31 AM
Dec 2017
1) The 99th class puts on their first revue, Starlight.
2) They have the reception
3) Most of the girls go home before the start of the new semester
4) The girls are now second years
5) Maya talks to (confronts) Nana, and then she talks with Karen Junna and Mahiru
6) Nana gets a call from the giraffe
Now this is where it gets confusing. Now ether the episodes play out and then Nana becomes top star, or she becomes top star right off the bat, and whoever is top star at the moment can pick a stage. I say this because she doesn't know who Hikari is , so all of these fights must occur before that.
7) Time loop back to event 1-6
8) This time Hikari challenges Nana at the auditions (or appears)
9) Flow of events from episode 1-6
Overall, this whole episode takes place before Hikari arrives, putting all of it at the beginning of the timeline.
Aug 25, 2018 5:50 AM

Mar 2012
Who would have though that becoming top star can alter reality?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 25, 2018 6:20 AM

Dec 2014
Chocodog212 said:
1) The 99th class puts on their first revue, Starlight.
2) They have the reception
3) Most of the girls go home before the start of the new semester
4) The girls are now second years
5) Maya talks to (confronts) Nana, and then she talks with Karen Junna and Mahiru
6) Nana gets a call from the giraffe
Now this is where it gets confusing. Now ether the episodes play out and then Nana becomes top star, or she becomes top star right off the bat, and whoever is top star at the moment can pick a stage. I say this because she doesn't know who Hikari is , so all of these fights must occur before that.
7) Time loop back to event 1-6
8) This time Hikari challenges Nana at the auditions (or appears)
9) Flow of events from episode 1-6
Overall, this whole episode takes place before Hikari arrives, putting all of it at the beginning of the timeline.

Nana becomes Top star infinite times then then Hikari arrives..
So first 15 minutes of this episode happen before episodes 1-6 then Hikari interrupts Nana after she beats Maya and becomes Top star and time is reset to a new timeline starting from 2017 before the first Starlight, same shit happens again till 14th May which is the first episode where Hikari gets transferred to Class A.
Aug 25, 2018 8:06 AM

Dec 2014
Wow this episode finally revealed more about the revue and not in a way I was expecting. I wonder how Hikari broke through the loop or if the giraffe had something to do with it. Either way I can't shake off the creepy feeling Nana gives now..

Aug 25, 2018 8:55 AM

Feb 2018
so, if Daiba Nana was really serious about her stage performance, she would be top star even won against Tendou Maya. But her dream and character now feel like "status quo" person
Aug 25, 2018 9:01 AM

Feb 2018
TYxTxYT said:

Is Hikari even real?

We must consinder there is Hikari and Karen's promises. so i think hikari is really exist
Aug 25, 2018 9:20 AM

Jul 2017
This was a very weird episode. The timeloop shit was really confusing but I did like the whole story with Nana. Nice to see her ambitions.

Overall, a really good episode. Intrigued to see what happens next. Hope my brain doesn't explode.
Aug 25, 2018 10:27 AM

Aug 2014
meh couldve skipped this ep and wouldnt have noticed..
Aug 25, 2018 10:59 AM

Dec 2014
Achaman said:
meh couldve skipped this ep and wouldnt have noticed..

You would've noticed next week? idk the story of banana and hikari isn't complete yet but if you don't like the timeloop thingy then that's your thing.
Aug 25, 2018 11:04 AM
Jul 2018
Wow, suddenly this show somehow becomes really confusing in just one episode, it truly reminds me of a light novel called HakoMari, a loop created by someone in the class and a transfer student appears to put a stop to it, amazing, i can't wait to see what this show will become later on
By the way, this episode's ED, as i expected, the feature character(s) is(are) Nana(and Giraffe, lol), however the song is instrumental, hmm, i thought i could finally hear Nana"s VA sing this ED song
Aug 25, 2018 11:44 AM

Jul 2015
Nice, first 6 episodes was actually boring and i just follow the show cuz i started it. Its pretty good that we got a loop, its kind of interesting now.
Aug 25, 2018 12:50 PM
Dec 2017
Do you guys understand Nana's motivation for repeating the 99th festival Starlight? In a time loop situation characters usually try to break out of it. And the story shows how those characters grow through retrying the same events.
However, in this story a character creates the time loop herself! And she doesn't seem to chage at all. And there's no clear reason for her to repeat the same performance again and again. She mentioned something about fear of growing up but it seem like a weak reason.
Aug 25, 2018 12:51 PM

Sep 2017
I don't get why many people here are saying this episode was confusing. I didn't find it confusing at all. Was that because of subtitle? I was watching it with Chinese sub and that was completely fine. The reveal was surprising but it wasn't confusing at all. It also explained a lot of things happened in the previous episodes.
Aug 25, 2018 12:53 PM

Sep 2017
Man I'm not sure where I was expecting this show to go, but this certainty wasn't it. That was honestly cool as shit. First off I was kinda confused as to where Hikari was at the start of the episode during the celebration and such. Then them showing dates for the first time in the series was giving me some Steins;Gate vibes. Who would have thought this would turn into a time loop plot line.

So if I understand this correctly. The first time Nana encountered Hikari was when she threw her dagger down at position zero, but at that point it was too late and the time leap was already set to go. I think this is the case as Nana didn't seem to recognize her, and was surprised when Hikari appeared in the next loop. I'm guessing the giraffe somehow altered reality so Hikari would transfer schools.

So then Nana and the viewers still haven't experienced a starlight performance with Hikari around. I'm guessing this will change starlight in a pretty significant way and either change Nana's mind about a time loop or forcefully stop her via a pretty epic fight. The question is will they take the rest of the series to do so.

Either way I was already pretty high on this show, and it only got way cooler.

Also the stage is literally alive and reacts to how much the girls shine so that's pretty cool and explains how some of the earlier fights happened.
Aug 25, 2018 12:56 PM

Dec 2014
cyber-brain said:
Do you guys understand Nana's motivation for repeating the 99th festival Starlight? In a time loop situation characters usually try to break out of it. And the story shows how those characters grow through retrying the same events.
However, in this story a character creates the time loop herself! And she doesn't seem to chage at all. And there's no clear reason for her to repeat the same performance again and again. She mentioned something about fear of growing up but it seem like a weak reason.

Nana said that she loved those days and their 1st starlight so much that she wanted to live those days forever.
Aug 25, 2018 1:10 PM

Dec 2014
ProofByColor said:
Man I'm not sure where I was expecting this show to go, but this certainty wasn't it. That was honestly cool as shit. First off I was kinda confused as to where Hikari was at the start of the episode during the celebration and such. Then them showing dates for the first time in the series was giving me some Steins;Gate vibes. Who would have thought this would turn into a time loop plot line.

So if I understand this correctly. The first time Nana encountered Hikari was when she threw her dagger down at position zero, but at that point it was too late and the time leap was already set to go. I think this is the case as Nana didn't seem to recognize her, and was surprised when Hikari appeared in the next loop. I'm guessing the giraffe somehow altered reality so Hikari would transfer schools.

So then Nana and the viewers still haven't experienced a starlight performance with Hikari around. I'm guessing this will change starlight in a pretty significant way and either change Nana's mind about a time loop or forcefully stop her via a pretty epic fight. The question is will they take the rest of the series to do so.

Either way I was already pretty high on this show, and it only got way cooler.

Also the stage is literally alive and reacts to how much the girls shine so that's pretty cool and explains how some of the earlier fights happened.

Next episode is supposedly focused on Hikari, idk how much they will reveal but there WILL be a revue every single episode according to the insert songs 2nd CD so it might be Hikari vs Banana?! (Please!)

Also Hikari never performs starlight because she comes at 2nd year and the loop ends before that when Nana becomes Top star so they never did the 2nd year starlight.. there's one more thing that's bothering me in episode 4 Hikari asks Karen if she remembers their starlight.. and Karen answers yeah it was our start when we promised to stand on the stage together (idk if Hikari meant what Karen understood or if they did starlight with Hikari at another timeline and only Hikari remembers it?)

Also ppl are expecting 9th episode to be about Claudine because of a pun related to the date of the 9th episode and her name (I don't remember it exactly) since they already made episode 7 about Nana and 7 means Nana in japanese.
Kaori6Aug 25, 2018 1:15 PM
Aug 25, 2018 1:22 PM

Nov 2011
The giraffe just got tired of repeating the same shit over and over again, so he tossed hikari in the mix. You know change things up abit.
Hate Keeps me warm
Aug 25, 2018 1:26 PM

Oct 2014
It's finally good again. YES!
How refreshing this is for me after the previous 2 episodes which were okayish, but lack relevance.

Edit: also, now that's it's official that it's a timeloop, I can ask this question I wanted to ask since 3rd episode: what did Karen bet to enter the competition? Bcs I had thought that Hikari's motive is probably similar as Karen: she wants to shine on the same stage as Karen, and play Starlight with her. So the logical conclusion is: if either of them lose, means one of them can't stand on that stage with their partner. But if the partner wins and gets her wish, won't that mean the other won't lose what she had bet? It's a loose end.

But then timeloop and alter-reality happen, means Hikari wasn't supposed to enter the play; She took Karen's supposed spot. Which means Hikari's motive isn't to stand on the same stage as Karen's? Or is her motive is actually Karen's original motive, but Hikari just acts as a stand-in to Karen (which means she has a different motive behind her said motive when she entered?) What happened to Karen after she lost to Nana in the first timeline, that it warrants Hikari trying to stand-in for her? And why did two timelines had to converge (aka why did Karen enter the audition anyway?) Argh the curiousity!
Revvie-chanAug 25, 2018 2:51 PM
Aug 25, 2018 1:28 PM

Sep 2017
Jacob194 said:

Also Hikari never performs starlight because she comes at 2nd year and the loop ends before that when Nana becomes Top star so they never did the 2nd year starlight..

Ah you are correct. After this ep I was assuming that ep 1-6 took place in their first year, but after checking I see they were in class 2-A. So then I'm not sure if ep 1-6 is actually the first time Hikari has showed up. Especially with what you said about ep 4 with Hikari asking Karen about their starlight. But at the end of the ep Nana made an ominous statement about Hikari conforming to the time loop may imply it's the first time. Though it could also Imply that Hikari has been fighting to stop Nana but has repeatedly failed, and Nana is trying to make her give up.
Aug 25, 2018 1:37 PM

Dec 2014
ProofByColor said:
Jacob194 said:

Also Hikari never performs starlight because she comes at 2nd year and the loop ends before that when Nana becomes Top star so they never did the 2nd year starlight..

Ah you are correct. After this ep I was assuming that ep 1-6 took place in their first year, but after checking I see they were in class 2-A. So then I'm not sure if ep 1-6 is actually the first time Hikari has showed up. Especially with what you said about ep 4 with Hikari asking Karen about their starlight. But at the end of the ep Nana made an ominous statement about Hikari conforming to the time loop may imply it's the first time. Though it could also Imply that Hikari has been fighting to stop Nana but has repeatedly failed, and Nana is trying to make her give up.

I don't know for sure but if Hikari has been fighting to stop Nana then she prolly could defeat Junna at least, but instead she got rekt hard in the 1st episode xD but yeah idk really how they gonna make Hikari stand up and become one of the 2 main roles with Karen after they showed her to be really weak.
Aug 25, 2018 2:02 PM

Sep 2017
cyber-brain said:

She wants to be "everyone's Banana". She herself apparently is far less ambitious as Maya, Claudia or Juuna in regards to a career on stage. What she wants is to have those friends staying with her forever. The whole show kinda mirror the world of idol industry itself. Idol groups like AKB48 recruit young members and put a lot of workload on them which make them almost completely cut off from a normal life. Naturally they would build a very strong emotional bond with the teammates they see everyday in their training, because they are unlikely to have the opportunity to make friends elsewhere. But as teammates they are also forced to compete with each other. Some girls are promoted while others are demoted or kicked out. At the end it is very hard for idol girls to have healthy and stable bonding with other girls at their age. On top of that, a forever changing cast also mean a forever uncertain future for them. You are star today and tomorrow you get kicked out for no other reason than "it may be good to do something new" (remember the conversation between Nana and the backstage students?) Or even if you don't worry about yourself being kicked out, but you may worry your best friend getting kicked out... It is natural for idol girls for wanting time stopping at their most shiny moment before they fall apart and fade away. Such insecurity is more or less shared by all of us living in a capitalist society. But contemporary idol industry in Japan is an extreme example where extreme insecurity are imposed on young girls.

Nana's decision to prefer a timeloop rather than an uncertain future was of course a dramatisation. In real life most people in similar situation would probably prefer insecurity over extreme boredom. But Revue Starlight never has been a show that strives for realism. It instead merges real life with magic and dramatic extravagance. In literature such style of storytelling is called magic realism. In One Hundred Years of Solitude one of characters, an old man who had a glorious life, decided to shut himself in a small room making gold fishes, melting them, and remaking them again. It looped until he died. His decision never had a realistic explanation. But it did paint a very poetic image of the loneliness of old age, the pointlessness of life that he felt. It is the power of metaphor being made real.
Aug 25, 2018 2:04 PM
Mar 2017
TYxTxYT said:

Is Hikari even real?
Were we supposed to know there was a Time Loop before this episode? Because I didn't.
Aug 25, 2018 2:05 PM

Oct 2014
Jacob194 said:
TYxTxYT said:

Is Hikari even real?

Wait, what do you mean by that? did they ever hint at there being a loop in previous episodes?

They don't, explicitly
But during episode 2, Junna vs Karen rematch, Nana asked Hkari on a lunch, and also during dance practice she asked to pair with her.
I was thinking of why, and actually came to a suspicion of there's a more serious plot behind this, although definitely I didn't see the whole time loop thing coming. (I actually expected it to be a more mahou shoujo-esque plot.)

The previous 2 episodes had been a distraction + a bit explanation on how the battles worked, maybe.
The whole dialogues only served to confuse.
But I'm glad they actually take the more serious plot.
Aug 25, 2018 4:02 PM

Jan 2012
Damn. I expected an awesome episode and i was still blinded by her shine.
Banana is the shiniest final boss ever.
Aug 25, 2018 5:39 PM

Jan 2011
starlight the gift that keeps giving

only clue i had was Nana lying on the stage at the end of last week .and then realizing she hasn't fought yet has she and the constant build up of her not being interested in being the top lead us to this moment of endless loops only confused as to when the loops were happening since Hikari was the change in the cycle were we just shown all the loops before the season started?.

pour one out for Tendo Maya she was suppose to be our god top star new true boss is here
Aug 25, 2018 5:45 PM

Mar 2012
cyber-brain said:
To her that moment is the most dazzling moment in her life. It was so bright and blinding that make her unable to move. No matter how many time she keep back it is still to dazzling to her.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 25, 2018 8:41 PM

Jan 2015
This whole ‘Groundhog Day’ time loop thing seems like such unnecessary nonsense, to me... And, I say that as a lifelong time travel genre fan!

Add to that, they took a character I really liked from the beginning, Nana, for her semi-maternal, pseudo den mother-esque wanting to help the other girls behind the scenes, in turn earning her the adorable ‘Banana-chan’ nickname, and effectively turned her into Satou from ‘Happy Sugar Life’, by the end.

This whole episode was just plain confusing, to me. And not in a ‘boy it’s so clever, I can’t quite follow it’ sort of way. But a, ‘let’s just dump a whole bunch of malarky in, and see if anyone can follow it’, way. Just unnecessary.
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Aug 25, 2018 9:17 PM
Aug 2018
This confuse me af
Aug 25, 2018 9:31 PM

Mar 2012
sXeblues said:
This whole ‘Groundhog Day’ time loop thing seems like such unnecessary nonsense, to me... And, I say that as a lifelong time travel genre fan!

Add to that, they took a character I really liked from the beginning, Nana, for her semi-maternal, pseudo den mother-esque wanting to help the other girls behind the scenes, in turn earning her the adorable ‘Banana-chan’ nickname, and effectively turned her into Satou from ‘Happy Sugar Life’, by the end.

This whole episode was just plain confusing, to me. And not in a ‘boy it’s so clever, I can’t quite follow it’ sort of way. But a, ‘let’s just dump a whole bunch of malarky in, and see if anyone can follow it’, way. Just unnecessary.
There are already some foreshadowing before though. Here is what I found on reddit.

https://twitter.com/359456/status/1032703428034588672
Aug 25, 2018 9:45 PM

May 2015
Did Akiyuki Shinbou direct this episode?

Junna's the class president? She doesn't seem like it....

"I wonder if this means the same play is getting boring..." Well each episode continues to recycle the topic of being the top star. But I guess this episode explains it. So that means that Nana was the original top star and decided to replay it over and over because she liked it so much. But now she's starting to get bored of it so she's handing it to someone else? I guess that's where Hikari steps in. And Nana mentioned that she wasn't interested in being the top star...hmm...I wonder if what she really wants is someone who will be a worthy successor to continue Starlight, or maybe find someone who can perform a Starlight that will shine brighter than hers...Eh...I'm thinking too much into it. We'll just have to wait for the next episode to tell us the rest...
Aug 25, 2018 9:50 PM

Jan 2015
NeoAnkara said:
There are already some foreshadowing before though. Here is what I found on reddit.

https://twitter.com/359456/status/1032703428034588672

I suppose it is a bit more interesting, after noting the little bit of foreshadowing... But, I dunno if it gives me any more or less appreciation for it, right now. I’ll be curious to see where it goes from here.
Aug 25, 2018 11:20 PM

Jan 2015
I’ve just spent a little time going over some of the reddit discussion about this particular episode — as well as going back over a couple of the previous episodes of the show — and y’know what? I still don’t get it.

No — it’s not what this episode lays down about Nana, and her choosing to keep this recycling of events, this ‘timeloop’, of her glory days in the top, number one spot, until Hikari debuts and throws a wrench in the works, that I don’t get. That’s all fine and well.

The thing that I don’t get is the way in which the folks on reddit — and here on MAL, as well — are all talking about this show, like it is actually THEY who just came back around from a timeloop, after having learned everything about the show, and are now talking about it in such heightened and excruciating detail, that it sounds more so akin to hindsight — and not so much as current, in the now, speculation.

They make all these references to the nods and hints slathered throughout the first six episodes, that all grandly lead up to this episode’s timeloop reveal; Which I, myself, must admit to not having experienced or similarly picked up on, at all. And which, having now gone back over some of those episodes, yes — it does seem that there were a few nods and hints as to Banana-chan’s having some greater hand in all of this. And, maybe it’s just that I’m a dolt — but none of this stuff stood out to me, and none of it would have, were it not for going back to look at it all now, after this episode’s revelation.

And all of these people are treating it like it’s the best, most cleverest thing ever, and pointing to all of these little hints and nods that they portend to have been following scrutinizingly close, from the word go. And, for my part, I just don’t get it. It HAS been a relatively decent show, thus far. But, to me, there are still a few series this season that rank much higher on my list. This episode, and the revelations contained within it, really do nothing to change that estimation.
sXebluesAug 25, 2018 11:31 PM
Aug 26, 2018 12:45 AM

Dec 2014
sXeblues said:
I’ve just spent a little time going over some of the reddit discussion about this particular episode — as well as going back over a couple of the previous episodes of the show — and y’know what? I still don’t get it.

No — it’s not what this episode lays down about Nana, and her choosing to keep this recycling of events, this ‘timeloop’, of her glory days in the top, number one spot, until Hikari debuts and throws a wrench in the works, that I don’t get. That’s all fine and well.

The thing that I don’t get is the way in which the folks on reddit — and here on MAL, as well — are all talking about this show, like it is actually THEY who just came back around from a timeloop, after having learned everything about the show, and are now talking about it in such heightened and excruciating detail, that it sounds more so akin to hindsight — and not so much as current, in the now, speculation.

They make all these references to the nods and hints slathered throughout the first six episodes, that all grandly lead up to this episode’s timeloop reveal; Which I, myself, must admit to not having experienced or similarly picked up on, at all. And which, having now gone back over some of those episodes, yes — it does seem that there were a few nods and hints as to Banana-chan’s having some greater hand in all of this. And, maybe it’s just that I’m a dolt — but none of this stuff stood out to me, and none of it would have, were it not for going back to look at it all now, after this episode’s revelation.

And all of these people are treating it like it’s the best, most cleverest thing ever, and pointing to all of these little hints and nods that they portend to have been following scrutinizingly close, from the word go. And, for my part, I just don’t get it. It HAS been a relatively decent show, thus far. But, to me, there are still a few series this season that rank much higher on my list. This episode, and the revelations contained within it, really do nothing to change that estimation.

They did hint at Nana's time-loop multiple times in ep 1-6 but anybody would take that with a grain of salt as in no way anyone would've expected this, after all they were merely slight hints.

How Hikari interfered with the time-loop is prolly gonna be explained next episode since it'll be her episode.
Aug 26, 2018 12:56 AM

Jan 2015
Jacob194 said:
They did hint at Nana's time-loop multiple times in ep 1-6 but anybody would take that with a grain of salt as in no way anyone would've expected this, after all they were merely slight hints.

How Hikari interfered with the time-loop is prolly gonna be explained next episode since it'll be her episode.

I’ll be looking forward to that, at this point... As that was the one lingering point of curiosity for me, by the end of this episode. And I’m also wondering if it was something potentially orchestrated by the giraffe, perhaps in order to break the cycle.
Aug 26, 2018 2:46 AM

Sep 2017
sXeblues said:

To me the show's strength is on its direction. It has a lot of details that indicates the directors are ceaselessly trying to maximise the effect of the visual and audio presentation. Like Revolutionary Girl Utena, it is one of those show where the way it presents its story is more important than the story presented. So I don't think it is like "time-travelling plot twist instantly makes the show a masterpiece". I take the timeloop thing as one of the ways the show dramatise the struggles of the girls in the world of performance art. The show isn't really about time-travelling, nor is it about apparently nonsensical stage fights. Although it clearly points to some of the problems of the highly competitive idol industry in real life, atheistically it is really just style and style all the way down. And that's why I love it.

I'm the kind of person who usually enjoy anime because of its visual rather than its story. Very often when an anime take its story too seriously it descend into babbling bullshit. It is better to have anime that's self-consciously about stylisation. (Compare Kill la Kill and Darling in the Franxx.) Not that I have anything against serious plot, it is just that in terms of story, perhaps only less than 5 TV anime shows out of >200 shows I have completed can really compete with the novels I have read, such as Tolstoy's and Dostoevsky's, or even with the films I have watched such as Bergman's or Kurosawa's. What is uniquely amazing about TV anime today is really its visual.
Aug 26, 2018 4:54 AM
Jul 2018
So the giraffe is kyuubey then? This felt kinda rushed, we just suddenly find out daiba is the strongest of them all, without actually seeing much of her fights, like we've seen with the girls before. So basically whoever is top star gets to choose whatever stage they perform? And to be top star you need to beat all of the girls? And daiba wants to keep performing the same starlight and has created a loop? And then suddenly hikari comes and thats where i get confused. I guess it will be cleared up next week
Aug 26, 2018 8:11 AM

Jul 2016
This episode was a HUGE curve-ball wtf? My appreciation for this show has sky rocketed, I really wanna see the last 5 episodes just so I can go back and experience it all again.
Aug 26, 2018 6:37 PM

Jan 2015
CHC said:
To me the show's strength is on its direction. It has a lot of details that indicates the directors are ceaselessly trying to maximise the effect of the visual and audio presentation. Like Revolutionary Girl Utena, it is one of those show where the way it presents its story is more important than the story presented. So I don't think it is like "time-travelling plot twist instantly makes the show a masterpiece". I take the timeloop thing as one of the ways the show dramatise the struggles of the girls in the world of performance art. The show isn't really about time-travelling, nor is it about apparently nonsensical stage fights. Although it clearly points to some of the problems of the highly competitive idol industry in real life, atheistically it is really just style and style all the way down. And that's why I love it.

I'm the kind of person who usually enjoy anime because of its visual rather than its story. Very often when an anime take its story too seriously it descend into babbling bullshit. It is better to have anime that's self-consciously about stylisation. (Compare Kill la Kill and Darling in the Franxx.) Not that I have anything against serious plot, it is just that in terms of story, perhaps only less than 5 TV anime shows out of >200 shows I have completed can really compete with the novels I have read, such as Tolstoy's and Dostoevsky's, or even with the films I have watched such as Bergman's or Kurosawa's. What is uniquely amazing about TV anime today is really its visual.

I tend to fall somewhere in the middle... I can be drawn to, or turned off by, an anime’s visual style and character designs. And I usually prefer a good story. But, not in all cases. Slice of life comedy, where it is strictly down to episodic stories, are also something I can and do readily dig into. Whichever it happens to be, I just like what I’m watching to make sense. And, watching this episode, at first, didn’t seem to make much sense to me. Having given it a little more thought and observation, I see that it still does make a kind of sense. But, it’s going to have to steadily impress me to its completion, before I can really gauge if for how good or bad it is.
Aug 26, 2018 8:39 PM

Oct 2014
This was a fantastic surprise, and like any good twist it in retrospect was telegraphed all throughout the show and adds plenty of rewatch value. The storyboarding was on point this episode, probably the best so far, even though it lacks the stunning fluid animation of the first few episodes there is still a clear passion making it visually interesting.
Aug 26, 2018 11:16 PM
Jul 2018

This anime is the gift that keeps on giving. I had zero hopes for it in the beginning but now it keeps amazing me with every new episode.
Aug 27, 2018 6:31 AM
Nov 2007
Revue Starlight: Bana-Naughty

Aug 27, 2018 6:51 AM

Jul 2017
Going back to episode 1 they're the 99th class, so the 99th performance of Starlight we see at the start is the same year, but not the same time frame as Hikari isn't there yet.

My question would be, why is Karen in the performance? I got the impression that she was a bit lazy and that the arrival of Hikari is what lit a fire under her and made her take it seriously and that would upset the status quo? Unless the breaking of the status quo is Karen reaching number one with Hikaris help?
Aug 27, 2018 7:16 AM

Dec 2014
D1tchd1gger said:
Going back to episode 1 they're the 99th class, so the 99th performance of Starlight we see at the start is the same year, but not the same time frame as Hikari isn't there yet.

My question would be, why is Karen in the performance? I got the impression that she was a bit lazy and that the arrival of Hikari is what lit a fire under her and made her take it seriously and that would upset the status quo? Unless the breaking of the status quo is Karen reaching number one with Hikaris help?

Karen was in 99th performance of starlight, yes she is lazy but we know by now that she has the talent but just didn't work hard before ep 4.

Hikari just by transferring broke the status quo, as she is shown having great talent so she would take someone's spot in the next starlight.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2018

27 by Mat2468xk »»
Jan 25, 8:36 AM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2018

49 by Mat2468xk »»
Jan 24, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2018

37 by Mat2468xk »»
Jan 24, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2018

86 by AlexGecko »»
Nov 25, 2023 5:09 PM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2018

93 by AlexGecko »»
Nov 23, 2023 8:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.