Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 23, 2018 4:03 PM

Apr 2016
[quote=PowerlessFoxy message=55796704][quote=Vlad4o message=55795563]
PowerlessFoxy said:
Vlad4o said:

They're not exactly shallow. And other than the gameplay and music, people also love the characters. Vergil, Dante, Lady, Nero and more have stuck with a lot of people for years and not just because they are cool or anything like that. Generally other than being fun and entertaining, they are well written and despite looking like a 80's action movies the series as a whole does have strong writing. It's kinda how Jojo is, since DMC was originally created in the early 2000's and many Japanese writers during the time period of the 80's up until the 2000's were constantly taking inspiration from American action hero movies they decided to create their own versions. But many characters in Jojo are well written and memorable and even downright relatable sometimes like the villain of part four.

Also in an age where 95 % of the stories try way too hard to be super intellectual, philosophical and subversive with tons of plot twist and such (which quite a lot of them fail) it's good to see a story that does not overdo it. Don't get me wrong, I love deep and interesting stories but slightly more simple stories also work. Also as I said, it's the characters that drive the entire thing. It's kinda like an episodic show where there isn't an overarching plot to it, just different separate stories that happen, but it's the characters that are usually the core of the these stories. Stuff like Dante and Vergils sibling rivalry, Ladys quest for revenge, Nero accepting his demon heritage and so on, all the while the plot is either about demons trying to take over the human world or some religious organization being obsessed with Sparda and his power.

And of course there is the complex, stylish and fun combat system that is considered the best of the genre which requires time and skill to master. That's also another huge draw to the series.

You have a high opinion of people's preference. Majority does like those characters because they are "cool or anything like that". Fun and entertaining? Can't agree, I was more annoyed with all of them than pleased + poor English voices made them even more annoying. Deeply written... I haven't completed these games, gave up on the first one somewhat in the middle, 2nd one right from the start "thanks" to voice actors which were worse than usual and 3rd game somewhere in the middle, as well. I saw nothing that would indicate them being well written. Not like it really matters, I want to enjoy games and not dig into writing or the amounts of pixels - saw nothing to enjoy in DMC, except cheap forgettable trash-movie + somewhat challenging combat.
Well, a style is a style. There are many anime and movies from 80s that have much better writing than the stuff that is praised by people nowadays. Plus again, I don't care how good of a story it is if it's not fun - 80s style has a good level of being fun. Those who crave "mature" stuff are usually the ones who need to grow up and improve their self-esteem.

Inspiration... inspiration is one thing, but making a game that gives you zero indication that it's a Japanese game is nothing but working against your own culture. I don't see Americans making games with Japanese audio, I don't see them making games while taking inspiration from other cultures AND making it seem like the game was developed by those people, with their vision. Take those God of War games, for example. They sort of explore different cultures, but it ends up being a typical American vision, you don't feel like you're playing a game made for a different culture.

It's not about being intellectual or light/heavy. There are different styles of stories, DMC falls into the category of "B movies" and it's okay, but I can't see anything good about it.
To be an episodic show, something must happen in each episode, I've played a good chunk of the first game and I remember there being zero to none story, you'd get into a random location, fight a random boss and enemies and that's it - go to the next level. I can say the same thing about Ninja Gaiden games: main hero is on a quest to slay all evil, Rachel is on a quest of revenge and etc., but it won't make it good. And it is a similar case there - bad story, flashy characters that catch your eye and somewhat interesting stages/gameplay.

The best of the genre? Rather the most complicated and punishing one. A good game is like driving a car - it shouldn't be difficult, but if you want to do tricks and get good at it - you'll have to work on it. In DMC games the basic things are difficult and the game has extremely over-powered demons.

I don't exactly have I high opinion of other people's preference. In fact I could care less what anyone else is into, I'm just saying why people like the games. If it was just the coolnes factor than many other games would be just as popular, many other characters would be just as iconic as Dante, but not every "cool" character is. I think one of the problems here is that you haven't even finished the games to being with. You gave up halfway through and formed your opinion on them. That's like watching 5 episodes of a 13 episode anime and form an opinion on the entire story and characters based on those 5 episodes.

And why does it have to be "Japanese" ? Why are you so obsessed with it being like that ? And what exactly is "Japanese" to you ? Over the topness ? Because the series has that. What exactly makes a product "Japanese" ?

Also I can definitely see you have an extremely low opinion of this game and franchise and probably hack and slash games in general from the way you talk about God of War or Ninja Gaiden. I could be wrong of course. And the gameplay is complicated and punishing ? Well that's exactly why people love it. It takes practice to get the hang of it and to master everything but once you do it feels satisfying, especially when you pull off some of the more powerful combos or do you want the game to have no challange ? And if you think that this game is punishing I cannot imagine you getting past the tutorial level in Dark Souls. All I can say about the gameplay is that, as people say on the internet, you just have to "Git Gud".

At the end of the day people love different things. I wanted to give you an answer as to why people love the game and franchise. You have your own opinion on that and I respect it. Also the voice acting in 2 was kinda bad for Dante, but they found a better voice actor for him for the rest of the franchise which fits his cocky personality.

Sep 26, 2018 4:00 PM

Aug 2015
I really want to try! ah!

Sep 27, 2018 7:49 AM
Jul 2018
I still have as of yet to play the first 4 DMC games yet
Sep 27, 2018 7:54 AM
Jul 2018
N_Ryuichi said:
I still have as of yet to play the first 4 DMC games yet

well if thats the case i highly recomend them 3 and 4 are grate if you like Hack and Slash games you will have a good time with them
Oct 7, 2018 3:52 AM
Jul 2018
Some new footage came out, i tought of sharing it here:

Cerberus:

Faust Hat:

Balrog

Cavaliere
removed-userOct 7, 2018 3:57 AM
Oct 24, 2018 1:17 PM

Mar 2015
Ultra editions is just like...ok, i know, it's Japan, and i heard about RE 6, but
TlahuizcapanteOct 24, 2018 1:29 PM
Oct 25, 2018 3:16 PM
Oct 2018
I've been waiting for this forever. GOTTA LET IT OUT GOTTA LET IT OUT
Dec 7, 2018 11:14 AM

Mar 2015

New trailer. I'll hope, game won't have much of backtracking, but it seems like V is fighting the same bosses, as Dante and Nero had. And they all later fighting together... I hope, all characters will have enough screentime, and it won't be like Nero's PoV would be the main one, while the Dante and V will just repeating his route.
P.S. Subhuman sounds a more "clearer" with new vocalist. V's theme is alright, i think.
Dec 7, 2018 11:27 AM

Nov 2008
^ I'm trying to think of albums I might play over this soundtrack. I think Nightwish would work. The game looks pretty good, but the soundtrack and aesthetic aren't appealing. I preferred the goth anime style of DMC3. I don't need to explain it. The director himself said that they went with a more realistic art style.

Dec 7, 2018 1:59 PM

Apr 2016
Sad to see that you need an Xbox to play the demo. Sold mine for a switch a while ago. I guess the Xbox demo selection is way better than their game selection at this point.
Dec 7, 2018 4:44 PM
Jul 2018
So whats everyone thoughts on V's new theme
Dec 8, 2018 10:51 AM

Dec 2013
As a Devil May Cry fan I'm hearbroken that I don't have a platform to play this on... :'(
Dec 9, 2018 2:06 AM

Jun 2016
I really don't get all the complaining about Lady and Trish's designs. Lady ages. DMC3 was my favorite look too, but she's looked considerably more mature in each appearance. Trish is almost identical to DMC4 except her hair isn't pushed back (which I never liked to begin with).

Also I guess V is everyone's new punching bag and they got bored with Nero? Dude looks badass to me.
Dec 9, 2018 5:02 AM

May 2018
The more I look at the trailer, the more I'm hype for this game. I usually don't like over the top combat hack and slash but DMC 5 might change my preference. Modern gaming just keep getting better. So many things to look forward for. DMC 5, Sekiro, Death Stranding, TLOU 2, Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima etc.
Dec 9, 2018 5:16 AM

Jul 2009
V's fighting style actually looks dope af. Also glad that Capcom got a new vocalist to sing Subhuman.
Dec 9, 2018 4:27 PM

Dec 2014
Okay, I was mistaken. After listening to Devil Trigger I can only say this stuff is lit. XD
No idea why the trailer never gave me a strong impression of the music.
Dec 10, 2018 5:05 PM

Dec 2013
I figured I'd comment on the whole redesign thing: I do think that out of the games in the series, DMC3 had the best character designs (then again, the entire game had like four characters lol). But the point is! That game's designs of Dante and Lady in particular are my favorites.

I already wasn't a fan of changing Dante's adult design so much from DMC1 to DMC4, so it's quite obvious I'm not liking the further changes he got for this game.

As for Lady, I find her outfit so nonsensical that it's distracting. While my favorite is still DMC3 version of her, I didn't really have anything against her DMC4 design. It's only DMC5 design that I don't like.

Trish is just Trish. I don't really care for her, since I find her to be rather... bland anyway.

Even though I don't generally like the new style I'm still gonna lap this game right up just because it's more DMC. Of course, I need to find a platform to play it on first though...
Dec 11, 2018 1:08 PM

Mar 2015
I think, what people can say whatever they want, but for me, it's not the music or characters design is that most important. It's for DMC being DMC. Not DmC, which have good fighting system, but lacking in terms of characters and story (story is actually not that bad, but because of characters, i don't care about the story). DMC for me in first and foremost - characters. Next go battle system, story, music and etc.
I would prefer DMC with shitty music, but great characters and wacky (in a good way) story, than DMC with good music, but boring characters.
P.S. Just to be clear - i like music in DMC 5. Maybe still not on the same level, as 3 and 4 parts, but i'm positive it growns to me, when i will be playing.
Dec 17, 2018 2:04 PM

Mar 2015
V's trailer.

Feb 18, 2019 9:17 AM

Mar 2015
BTW, voice of Dante, Reuben Langdon, almost got killed:
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/argoo2/voice_of_dante_in_the_dmc_series_reuben_langdon/
Comment section on news, facebook, twitter and etc. is full of jokes about Subhuman, RoyalGuard, Dante's gifs and pictures. And Reuben himself add more fuel to the fire, joking around.
Feb 18, 2019 11:10 AM

Oct 2013
NthDegree said:
As a Devil May Cry fan I'm hearbroken that I don't have a platform to play this on... :'(

What is your pc specs?

on topic, imo they release too many gameplay way too soon they practically realease most of the walkthrough/main points of this game already, I was shock to hear that the release date is in March with the amount of gameplay that was release for this game.

Tlahuizcapante said:
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/argoo2/voice_of_dante_in_the_dmc_series_reuben_langdon/
Comment section on news, facebook, twitter and etc. is full of jokes about Subhuman, RoyalGuard, Dante's gifs and pictures. And Reuben himself add more fuel to the fire, joking around.

Damn, glad he is ok.
keragammingFeb 18, 2019 11:16 AM
Feb 18, 2019 11:12 PM

May 2011
Tlahuizcapante said:

Oh no. That's awful. I'm relieved that he's doing alright. </3
Feb 28, 2019 9:20 AM

Mar 2015

Final trailer to fill you with motivation to play.
P.S. Dante or Vergil flashback give me 91 days feel. I'll hope, they'll make a little bit of gameplay with kid Dante.
Feb 28, 2019 9:42 AM
Jul 2018
OMG VERGILLLLLL IM SO HAPPY i actually screamed when he showed up lol

that trailer was amazing im very hyped for the game now
Mar 2, 2019 8:48 AM

Nov 2011
After watching that last trailer I immediately pre-ordered the complete edition on PC, really looking forward to when this game releases.
Mar 6, 2019 7:38 PM

Nov 2008
It's getting great reviews.

Go Japan! Keep kicking western console devs' pretentious asses! DMC5 is gonna crush God of War. As will Sekiro.

Mar 6, 2019 9:42 PM

Jul 2009
So yeah, it's getting excellent reviews. First Monster Hunter: World, then Resident Evil 2 Remake, and now this. Never though I'd say this, but Capcom is quickly becoming my favorite game developer now.
Mar 11, 2019 12:31 PM

Mar 2015

And i know this is pointless, but i'll hope game developers make some sort of embargo on games content on Youtube. It's 7 march, and all walkthrough is already on Youtube and streaming services. Why don't forbid streams and walkthroughs on one week? It's not that extreme, how Atlus did with Persona 5, but it quite a good filter. Because, i think, all that streams and stuff cutting a good bits of sales.
Mar 15, 2019 7:00 PM

Nov 2011
I just completed it today.

I have been saying for a very long time that the original Devil May Cry is easily my favourite of the series, now it is not so clear-cut. DMC5 is now up there with the original in my opinion.
Mar 15, 2019 7:31 PM

Jan 2019
it was fine but i think its way too overrated
Mar 16, 2019 6:50 AM

Dec 2014
I'm still playing through Yakuza Kiwami and God Eater 3. I don't know if I can make it to DmC5 before Sekiro. :|
Mar 16, 2019 6:56 AM

Feb 2012
Didn't the game get censored by a patch?
Mar 16, 2019 12:06 PM

Nov 2008
Daphi said:
it was fine but i think its way too overrated
Not as good as Devil May Cry 3. Too many cutscenes. Weaker story. Blander art. I preferred the stylized gothic look over this photorealism. I also wish they had just made DMC4 and 5 like they made RE1 and 2, meaning let the player play through the same campaign as two or three different characters but give each story some key differences and a few unique scenarios. Juggling between the three of them doesn't make for very good progression. You don't spend enough of the game as any of them. Devil May Cry 3 also didn't have so many crappy songs. But DMC5 is good. I'm waiting for Bloody Palace.

Mar 17, 2019 3:29 PM

Sep 2012
Yeah, it was good, but not great. The story is terrible and basically just Vergil fanwank (and this is comming from someone who likes Vergil), the character faces and designs are a step backwards compared to previous games, dialog is mediocre besides a couple of moments here and there and the OST aside from Voltaic Knight and Silver bullet/Devil trigger is not really memorable at all.

Gameplay wise it's great and all, but it could've been a lot better if they just integrated Mundus into the plot and made both V and Urizen their own characters instead of what happened. Better than DmC, but that's not saying much at all.
Mar 18, 2019 9:09 AM

Nov 2016
Do I need to play the previous games to play this one?

There's so many so there's a bit of confusion. I believe they did a revamp with a different Dante a while back too.
Mar 19, 2019 1:47 AM

Jun 2016
I completely disagree with "DEY SHUD HAVE BROUT MUNDUS BACK, DIS IS VERGIL FANWANK"

This is most likely the final game.

They tied up everything neatly, aside from one or two gripes I have about something about Nero's heritage (and no, it's not who his father is, i've known and been fine with that since 4).

No, it''s not better than 3, but that's a nearly impossible standard to hold it to.

The combat has never felt better, the characters have never been more themselves and it's never looked this good while retaining the Gothic elements.

Whiners gonna whine.
Mar 19, 2019 3:35 AM

Nov 2017
SpamuraiSensei said:
Do I need to play the previous games to play this one?

There's so many so there's a bit of confusion. I believe they did a revamp with a different Dante a while back too.
The game main menu offers you the possibility to watch a short summary about the story. It's enough to know for a newbie in my opinion. The Devil May Cry you remember is the harsh discussed reboot DmC. It has nothing to do with the main series.

Currenty I'm in the middle of the game and I do enjoy the game play, the story and the graphic. The only annoying thing to me is Nico.
𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘥𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶?
𝘐'𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘴𝘵𝘶𝘤𝘬 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶.

¡ǝɯ ɥʇᴉʍ ǝɹǝɥ uᴉ ʞɔnʇs ǝɹ,no⅄
Mar 19, 2019 1:51 PM

Mar 2015
GoldenSaltPillar said:
Yeah, it was good, but not great. The story is terrible and basically just Vergil fanwank (and this is comming from someone who likes Vergil), the character faces and designs are a step backwards compared to previous games, dialog is mediocre besides a couple of moments here and there and the OST aside from Voltaic Knight and Silver bullet/Devil trigger is not really memorable at all.

Gameplay wise it's great and all, but it could've been a lot better if they just integrated Mundus into the plot and made both V and Urizen their own characters instead of what happened. Better than DmC, but that's not saying much at all.

It's like DMC has ever have a deep story. For me, this part is like a bridge to 6 part. (same as 4) It would be (i hope) an epic showdown between Mudus's army and Dante, Nero and the rest. So, after quite a gap between 4 and 5 part, i think, it's essential to make 5 part like this, to introduce new players with DMC universe, to give old players some fanservice tears, and don't just jump straight into main battle.

HitsugayaToshir0 said:

Currenty I'm in the middle of the game and I do enjoy the game play, the story and the graphic. The only annoying thing to me is Nico.

Yup, for me it's like she's belongs to DmC universe, with her attitude and jokes, but after completing the game, i think she's not that bad. Have some interesting moments, at least.
Aug 29, 2019 3:32 AM

Mar 2018
(Sorry for reviving this 6 months old thread but I just finished the game yesterday after struggling to buy a high-spec laptop. Couldn't stay quiet after playing such a gorgeous game.)

9.5/10

Now DMC is officially back. We can finally forget that disgrace of a reboot and wipe it away from DMC history. Personally, I think DMC5 did a bit worse than 11/10 masterpiece which is DMC3 but still better than 4.

[V]

Gameplay-wise, playing as V is a nice change of pace but it felt like playing a different game rather than DMC. It was like a character from other action games like Prince of Persia or Assassin's Creed lost his way and ended up in DMC universe. And he seemed difficult to master in trailers but he's the easiest character get S ranks wtf. Summon Nightmare --> read book --> turn Griffon to auto mode ---> mash Y (XBox control) and S ranks came in like hot cakes.

[Dead weight Nero]

Nero became my favorite character gameplay-wise in this game. His Devil Breakers are lit af. Just make the directional buttons to swap between DBs at will instead of making it a DT button and he'd be perfect. His combos are somewhat boring in DMC4 compared to Dante except his Devil Bringer's QTE finishing moves but he became super balance now. Not hard to control, has a limited range of combo but still capable to get S ranks with not much difficulty if you master him.

[Dante]

Contrary to Nero, Dante became a character for super hardcore fans. His combo pool is just... mind blown. 4 melee and 4 ranged weapons is overkill. I can't even think of what moves I'm gonna pull next. I remember I didn't even use Rebellion in DMC3. Cerberus and Beowulf with Swordmaster style was my favorite play. In DMC4, I mainly used Rebellion and Gilgamesh, ignoring Lucifer most of the times. Now I find myself using mostly Rebellion (DSD) even tho the game offered me a lot more varieties lol. And mixing old Swordmaster moves with Rebellion combos when equipping DSD is somewhat confusing. And SDT is a fun addition to bait noobs and kids but not needed.

Other than the game became westernized in design, I just love the fact that it screamed "This is how you do a DMC game". I felt like it's constantly mocking to the reboot, with its Nero's new design and his "Fuck you" DT. The game lost none of its essence which made it unique among other action games. It really felt like the franchise is back.

I heard Capcom's not gonna make a special edition for DMC5, to become Vergil playable. But it sounded to me like "We're gonna make DMC6 asap. Just you wait." for some reason.

. . .
Back to searching secret missions and blue/purple orbs, and grinding red orbs.

Pull. My. Devil. Trigger.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is 8 gb vram enough these days?

Cnon - Mar 5

20 by loligoth666 »»
4 minutes ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

26 by loligoth666 »»
36 minutes ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

140 by loligoth666 »»
39 minutes ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games?

Dumb - Feb 11

49 by loligoth666 »»
2 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3508 by loligoth666 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.