Forum Settings
Forums

reading manga of an anime that gets adaptation leaves you with a disadvantage?

New
Aug 21, 2018 5:38 AM

Dec 2017
i think a big role in anime plays the surprise factor, the unpredictability of the story that makes it really interesting and exciting , which, if you read the manga, is totally removed

the surprise factor is gone, you know the story, the plot and everything that's gonna happen and the only reason you're watching it is to see how well will the studio adapt it

lately i feel like i would've enjoyed anime more if i went in blindly, instead of reading the manga to it beforehand

anyone crossed the same thought as me? do you have any different feelings about this?
Aug 21, 2018 5:44 AM

Feb 2018
Well that is certainly true for story driven anime but slice of life, comedy etc still works for me even if I already read the manga.
Aug 21, 2018 6:01 AM

Oct 2015
Let me think: You read the superior version over the inferior version, and you thought about this. It's even a toll since in a lot of cases, it's a known fact that people prefers reading manga over anime for efficient reasons.

That's also whatever you want to experience, some people likes the tingling sensation in their bones when they re-watch/re-read series, it may come to the same road as re-visiting it.
-Lofn-Aug 21, 2018 6:11 AM

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Aug 21, 2018 6:02 AM

Oct 2017
Nope, I watch every episode of Shingeki no Kyojin season 3 four times. And every time I watch it, I still experience the same as I did the first time (and yes I've even read its manga). The same goes for Boku no Hero Academia, and many other manga.

It's basically you making excuses for not liking the said content in the form of anime again... The same goes for those people who think spoilers ruin everything for them.
KatsutoSakiAug 21, 2018 6:05 AM
Aug 21, 2018 6:08 AM

Feb 2010
It's not even just the surprise factor, which can be neglected for a lot of titles that don't rely mostly on twists and mysteries to keep the viewers attention. The biggest disadvantage are the conscious or subconscious comparisons between the source and the adaption. The inability to just judge the anime as an anime, and not as an adaption. That way even changes that don't end up being worse are seen as issues just for being different from the source, often for no apparent reason. You ask yourself why cut this part, why add this part for every little thing that's different. It's not fun most of the time. I try to avoid being in that position by mostly reading manga that's very unlikely to ever get an adaption.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 21, 2018 6:10 AM

Jan 2013
I think it happens when somebody prefers watching than reading. If you experience something first in the less enjoyable form, you kinda regret you won't get the full and fresh experience in the form you find more entertaining and you'll keep comparing them. That's why I rarely read anything before watching, even thouugh I do like re-watching things it's kinda different with reading the manga for me.
Aug 21, 2018 6:16 AM

May 2013
KatsutoSaki said:

It's basically you making excuses for not liking the said content in the form of anime again... The same goes for those people who think spoilers ruin everything for them.

I agree with what you said, however spoilers do ruin the story-telling for someone who likes suspense, especially for someone who has no clue regarding anything about the show beforehand.

An example I can give is 'The Invisible Guest'. It is a well scripted spanish mystery thriller movie. However, its entire suspense buildup is what makes the movie feel tightly written. If the ending is spoiled for you, the selling point of the movie is lost and you won't be able to enjoy any of the twists and turns they throw at you.

Same goes for many anime as well.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 21, 2018 6:20 AM

Mar 2016
Given that adaptations are often worse (not always), you are likelier to enjoy it if you don't read the manga from that perspective. Then, you can (usually) enjoy the better version again, so that's usually a win.
Aug 21, 2018 7:20 AM
Jul 2018
nahh
cuz think about it,the anime might lack some important info that only the manga reader knows,so that's put them in an advantage
Aug 21, 2018 7:20 AM

Apr 2015
Unless you're watching the original Fullmetal Alchemist, that is.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 21, 2018 9:01 AM

Oct 2017
KreatorX said:
KatsutoSaki said:

I agree with what you said, however spoilers do ruin the story-telling for someone who likes suspense, especially for someone who has no clue regarding anything about the show beforehand.

An example I can give is 'The Invisible Guest'. It is a well scripted spanish mystery thriller movie. However, its entire suspense buildup is what makes the movie feel tightly written. If the ending is spoiled for you, the selling point of the movie is lost and you won't be able to enjoy any of the twists and turns they throw at you.

Well, I do love suspense, and plot twists... Usually when people suddenly (out of nowhere) spoil an ending or a plot twist to you. There's a general reaction to that, which is obviously you thinking as if everything got ruined... But after sometime and thinking, you'd see the same people would care less about what part was spoiled. Rather they would be interested as to how such thing happened.

For example:
Death Note and Shingeki no Kyojin spoilers ahead!

Also, I haven't watched "The Invisible Guest."
Aug 21, 2018 9:16 AM

May 2013
KatsutoSaki said:
KreatorX said:

Well, I do love suspense, and plot twists... Usually when people suddenly (out of nowhere) spoil an ending or a plot twist to you. There's a general reaction to that, which is obviously you thinking as if everything got ruined... But after sometime and thinking, you'd see the same people would care less about what part was spoiled. Rather they would be interested as to how such thing happened.

For example:
Death Note and Shingeki no Kyojin spoilers ahead!

Also, I haven't watched "The Invisible Guest."

I see what you are getting at. However, I wasn't able to enjoy Death Note for that reason. Perhaps it is just me whose opinion of a spoiled show greatly drops simply because the fresh experience of the entire story was supposed to be mine alone, along with the unpredictability of the conclusion that should have kept me on the edge of my seat.

Have a look at Invisible Guest when you feel like it. It might be worth your time :)
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 21, 2018 9:33 AM

Apr 2018
Spoiler only ruin bad shows. The best thing about a good show is not the plot, but the execution thereof. Basically, IT'S ABOUT THE JOURNEY MAAAAHHHUUUUN. Therefore, spoilers cannot ruin good shows. Only bad ones.
Aug 21, 2018 9:51 AM

Feb 2015
What is this, did suddenly watching anime became a competition? SMH battle shounen at its finest.

Pls, get away from me. I'm not cancer like you are.
Aug 21, 2018 9:54 AM

Sep 2011
No. I've been doing this with visual novels and it's still fun to watch regardless on how much I know on the source material when I'm watching its anime adaptation.

Aug 21, 2018 9:59 AM

Nov 2017
If I watch the anime of something and then go to read the manga I don't feel like reading it because the anime if done well has the chance of being a superior experience and if I watch an especially good adaptation like monogatari it's hard to read the novels that's why if it's a great manga/ln I will read the source material only if the adaptation doesn't completely adapt it or adapt it well.
Aug 21, 2018 10:52 AM

Oct 2017
KreatorX said:
I see what you are getting at. However, I wasn't able to enjoy Death Note for that reason. Perhaps it is just me whose opinion of a spoiled show greatly drops simply because the fresh experience of the entire story was supposed to be mine alone, along with the unpredictability of the conclusion that should have kept me on the edge of my seat.

If you're supposed to like a show, then you'd like it either way, dude...
Aug 21, 2018 10:56 AM

Dec 2017
Skankins said:
Spoiler only ruin bad shows. The best thing about a good show is not the plot, but the execution thereof. Basically, IT'S ABOUT THE JOURNEY MAAAAHHHUUUUN. Therefore, spoilers cannot ruin good shows. Only bad ones.

hah, i knew someone would say that. i'm one of those people that don't give a shit about spoilers when it comes to movies. for me it's more important how it was executed at that point. however, when you get spoilers in words and when you basically spoil the whole story, characters and plot twists is a bit different imo

Pullman said:
It's not even just the surprise factor, which can be neglected for a lot of titles that don't rely mostly on twists and mysteries to keep the viewers attention. The biggest disadvantage are the conscious or subconscious comparisons between the source and the adaption. The inability to just judge the anime as an anime, and not as an adaption. That way even changes that don't end up being worse are seen as issues just for being different from the source, often for no apparent reason. You ask yourself why cut this part, why add this part for every little thing that's different. It's not fun most of the time. I try to avoid being in that position by mostly reading manga that's very unlikely to ever get an adaption.

yes, i agree. nitpicking over every single detail, especially when anime sticks close to the manga both in art and story-wise, and especially when manga comes out superior to the adaptation is annoying and takes a chunk out of the enjoyment as well

_Ako_ said:
What is this, did suddenly watching anime became a competition? SMH battle shounen at its finest.

Pls, get away from me. I'm not cancer like you are.

oh shaddap and go away you stinky legal loli
Aug 21, 2018 11:00 AM

Jan 2008
Well it's one or the other regardless right? Unless you're someone whose going watch the anime and skip every chapter that was supposedly adapted.
Aug 21, 2018 11:02 AM

Feb 2010
uninstallthegame said:
Skankins said:

hah, i knew someone would say that. i'm one of those people that don't give a shit about spoilers when it comes to movies. for me it's more important how it was executed at that point. however, when you get spoilers in words and when you basically spoil the whole story, characters and plot twists is a bit different imo

Pullman said:

yes, i agree. nitpicking over every single detail, especially when anime sticks close to the manga both in art and story-wise, and especially when manga comes out superior to the adaptation is annoying and takes a chunk out of the enjoyment as well

yeah and I'm not even blaming people, I've been in that position and it's incredibly hard to just accept changes and not be biased against them when you've been expecting to see certain things happening and then it goes another way or gets skipped. My prime example for this is TWD TV Series which is probably a fine watch on its own but because I was such a big fan of the comic and they made a lot of changes including basically cutting out one of my favorite chars, I just couldn't hel but be cranky about the changes to the point where I just dropped the show fairly early on.
Aug 21, 2018 11:04 AM

Sep 2017
seeing as most adaptations suck ass it's the other way around for me
ppl don't think their opinions be wrong, but it do.
Aug 21, 2018 11:05 AM

Sep 2015
AlanWeebus said:

the only reason the adaptation sucks ass is because the source material was never that good.
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Aug 21, 2018 11:09 AM

May 2018
Err, why? I mean, I get that almost everybody hates spoilers and such, but for myself, I don't mind them at all. Actually, sometimes it can be interesting to see how something that will happen later on in the anime that you know about will turn out, after you've spoiled yourself. But maybe that just goes for spoiler and not 'spoiled cause you read the manga', but I don't think they're too different.
Aug 21, 2018 11:16 AM

Feb 2010
AlanWeebus said:

How? You enjoy the adaption that 'sucks ass' more because you read the source beforehand? You will have to explain that to me, I don't get it.
Aug 21, 2018 11:20 AM

Sep 2017
Pullman said:
AlanWeebus said:

How? You enjoy the adaption that 'sucks ass' more because you read the source beforehand? You will have to explain that to me, I don't get it.

wat? i did not mean that at all...

what i meant was that watching a shitty adaptation of a good manga first will affect your enjoyment when you read the source material
ppl don't think their opinions be wrong, but it do.
Aug 21, 2018 11:25 AM

Feb 2010
AlanWeebus said:
Pullman said:

wat? i did not mean that at all...

what i meant was that watching a shitty adaptation of a good manga first will affect your enjoyment when you read the source material

oh, so THAT kind of 'the other way round'. I see, that makes more sense.
Aug 21, 2018 12:27 PM

Dec 2015
the surprise factor, the unpredictability of the story playsa big role in anime. That makes it really interesting and exciting. If you read the manga,this is totally removed

This thing sounds like you mistakenly used the term "anime" for the word "thriller/suspense fiction".

@KatsutoSaki My God, thank you ! This cult of the "spoiler" running rampant on the Internet is really harassing.
Aug 21, 2018 12:29 PM

Jul 2015
Not really, I like to look through manga of anime series I've seen, just to see what the manga is like.
Aug 21, 2018 3:34 PM

May 2013
KatsutoSaki said:
KreatorX said:

If you're supposed to like a show, then you'd like it either way, dude...

That is not what I am getting at. I don't get the desire to see how things develop once a story element is spoiled for me. That directly affects how I like a show in the end. It's a matter of cause and causation.

Nevermind, we are talking on different pages now...
Truly a Divine Comedy
Aug 21, 2018 3:40 PM

Jul 2017
It depends on how close the adaptation follows the source material. If it's something like a Gekkan Shoujo then sure considering how parts were done, but if it's something like Tokyo Ghoul then it doesn't even matter cause half of the anime is different from the manga anyway
Aug 21, 2018 3:41 PM

May 2014
-Lofn- said:
Let me think: You read the superior version over the inferior version, and you thought about this. It's even a toll since in a lot of cases, it's a known fact that people prefers reading manga over anime for efficient reasons.

That's also whatever you want to experience, some people likes the tingling sensation in their bones when they re-watch/re-read series, it may come to the same road as re-visiting it.
For me, reading manga is a lot less engaging, which is why I do it less.
Aug 21, 2018 3:44 PM

Oct 2013
Depends on the series. Generally, the only time I don't watch an anime is when I have read the manga for the series and the anime is a poor adaption of the manga I liked or the manga was bad to begin with.

If you are not enjoying these series a second time in animated form it makes me believe that the series you were watching were never good to begin with (relying solely on shock factor is not good storytelling). It could also be that you are watching the anime adaption too closely after reading the manga and not giving yourself a break so it feels like you are just redoing the last few days of your life. If that's the case, give yourself a break before watching an adaption.
Aug 21, 2018 3:46 PM

Sep 2015
I honestly don't care about the "surprise factor" or unpredictability of a story. i'd rather have well written story and characters that i can always go back to and appreciate than several moments that might make me a little giddy but lose it's charm after watching it a couple more times.
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Aug 21, 2018 3:46 PM

Oct 2015
Ericonator said:
Stop watching specials and Pokemon, hoe :mask: fookin fille de joie

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Aug 21, 2018 3:47 PM

Dec 2016
uninstallthegame said:
i think a big role in anime plays the surprise factor, the unpredictability of the story that makes it really interesting and exciting , which, if you read the manga, is totally removed

the surprise factor is gone, you know the story, the plot and everything that's gonna happen and the only reason you're watching it is to see how well will the studio adapt it

lately i feel like i would've enjoyed anime more if i went in blindly, instead of reading the manga to it beforehand

anyone crossed the same thought as me? do you have any different feelings about this?

and that's precisely why I have never ever read a manga nor the book before watching the anime or the movie

and to me, the watching experience has always been more entertaining, captivating and gratifying than the reading experience, so it's not like I could have gained the same level of pleasure as watching if I had decided to read first...
Aug 21, 2018 3:47 PM

May 2014
-Lofn- said:
Ericonator said:
Stop watching specials and Pokemon, hoe :mask: fookin fille de joie
I just did :smart:
Watching a different dub instead :fufu:
Aug 21, 2018 3:52 PM

Apr 2018
I think reading a manga actually makes me anticipate how it will be adapted in the anime. So It doesn't feel spoiled to me.

It'll be disappointing if anime doesn't do justice to the manga.

But I've found reading a manga after watching anime does make it less interesting. Never the vice versa.
Aug 21, 2018 8:09 PM

Sep 2016
That is true but I mean even if you read the manga and you enjoyed it you would probably want to see how they made it into a anime (that's to me at least XD)
Aug 21, 2018 8:16 PM
Mar 2011
they aend fucking up the pacice and other forms of adaation decey
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"ο»Ώ

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 21, 2018 9:05 PM

Apr 2017
no, if it's not good without the surprise factor, it was never good in the first place
Aug 22, 2018 1:05 AM

Nov 2013
No. The majority of the stories nowadays is hardly unpredictable in the first place.

As far as differences between the manga and the anime are concerned, I notice them, sometimes I think that the particular part was done better in the manga, but that's about it. Unless I'm witnessing a disastrous adaptation like the Rosario + Vampire anime.
TheBigGuyAug 22, 2018 1:24 AM
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Aug 22, 2018 1:17 AM

Jan 2014
I am anime only watcher so i don't share those struggles.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Aug 22, 2018 1:21 AM
Jul 2018
Seeing as how the Bokumachi manga was actually significantly better than the rushed shitty show adaption I actually felt much more elation reading the manga than watching the anime. Although Gaku was still hotter looking in the show, too bad the show ruined the potential they had to adapt his manga backstory. Ahem, ahem.
Aug 22, 2018 2:10 AM

Apr 2010
I don't mind repeating the story, as I don't mind reading the manga again (or part of it, which is more common, as I'm too lazy). The problem is... it just feels too weird. After reading Skip Beat in Black and White, moving of Ginger hair Kyoko with oh the horrifying pink of LMA suit... I didn't know where to bury myself first. And also, I imagine how they sound, and guess what, it's totally different in the anime.

More topics from this board

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

12 by Astachanna »»
1 minute ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

23 by FanofAction »»
12 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

59 by KittenCuddler »»
24 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 11 hours ago

18 by traed »»
31 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 43 minutes ago

1 by SnipeStrike »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.