Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Cells at Work!
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 19, 2018 11:53 AM

Oct 2012
JizzyHitler said:
you must be very fun at parties. Like how much do you let politics consume your life that you watch a goofy series about cells and somehow take it as an opportunity to push some shit about immigration.

It's other way around - this series tried to push something like that right in the face and this was the result. And come on, it's obvious it was meant that way. There are times when humanizing the antagonist is a good thing in anime but this wasn't the case. Or would you go open arms to someone who just tried to kill you and your friends? In fact it would be a lot better resolution of the situation if he straight away killed him without mercy and let viewers think about it - it would be harsh but it would at least send some message - this was a cringe instead.
Aug 19, 2018 12:31 PM

Feb 2014
Damn, that was a pretty intense battle. NK did struggle more than I thought she wouold, along with Killer T and our familiar White Blood Cell, but when everyone rallied together, it made the final moments of the fight really epic, with NK getting a power buff by trolling Killer T once again! XD

Another plus side was that the Platelets made a proper appearance again and our Red Blood Cell couldn't help but poke her finger into one of the Platelets cheeks, who also high-fived her in return. It almost gave me a cuteness overload again. X3

Lelouch0202 said:
Cancer cell, a flawed existence. Who's to blame ? :(

I can understand that mindset. It sucks for those cells in the first place, but they're still cancer cells after all. Sooner or later, they still need to be eliminated. It's sad, but that's the way it has to be. =(
Aug 19, 2018 1:25 PM

Apr 2015
This anime never fails to amaze me so far. Loved how tense this episode was. Cancer cell is a serious threat (as one would expect). But seems it's not the last we've seen of him.

Can't get enough of Red Blood Cell and the platelets, poking the platelets cheek was just too adorable!

Aug 19, 2018 2:23 PM
Jul 2018
whoa this episode made me rethink of cancer cell to a whole new level.. (kind of reminds me one of ZnT twists)

I wished the show could pause whenever we got to see new things and narrators could dictate them like the old episodes. I find it cooler that way.
Aug 19, 2018 5:58 PM

Sep 2013
They gave cancer a sad past for us to have empathy towards them, but in the end they are still cancer cells.

Wish real life cells would be able to kill cancer cells on the stage that was pointed to be here (on metastasis) because when cancer is before metastasis it means it has already progress beyond immunity.

Also, cool that in the anime all cells can do something against cancer cells, and it was just hinted but the main eritrocyte did a non-profecional antigen presentation, wish they would have note that and talked about it, maybe in the future.
"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious."
FAL SPRING 2019 Rank 650 FAL FALL 2019 Rank 136
Aug 19, 2018 8:19 PM
Apr 2018
The 7th episode of Hataraku Saibou leaves with:

1. Dramatic an Epic scenes with a fight that represents perfectly how people deal with cancer at first stages
2. A reflexion about how Cancer Cells should be and how they are, also how we create them in our body
3. A promise that the will come back with more power and problems to the White cells and the imune system
4. A beautiful character design with multiple posibilites of development

and 5. The possibility that in the next episodes, the imune system and our main characters will lose against cancer.
Aug 19, 2018 8:41 PM
Nov 2017
This episode was amazing, lots of useful information and was genuinely emotional. Also did anyone notice that it was literally just Tokyo Ghoul's premise. Like the main cancer cell kinda looks like kaneki, the whole purpose of the cancer cell was "We were randomly created, why can't we live too". Just like ghoul's in tokyo ghoul... Honestly, it felt a ton like tokyo ghoul.
Aug 19, 2018 9:01 PM

Jan 2013
Very intense and interesting episode, it explains so well how cancer works and a lot of details that i never heard of.

I laughed at the moment where they said that laughing revitalizes your NK cells, it's funny knowing that your laughter actually helps your cells to fight cancer while watching an episode where it's explained how NK cells revitalize xD

Glad that they managed to destroy him, and again...all thanks to the red blood cell xD
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 20, 2018 1:29 AM

Mar 2018
What a nice emotional episode, stil awesome to watch even read manga before.

And I just realize 2nd verse of ED at the end of this eps.
Glasses girls is the best girls.
Aug 20, 2018 3:07 AM
Jun 2017
LIVE A HAPPY LIFE AND LESS STRESS!!!! This is the message of today's episode....
Actually you may have heard something before that smiling or being happy kills those cancer cells and its true, as shown in the episode (the pathophysiology of NK cells) when it laughs hard, there is something that are being released which actually aids in eradicating those cancer cells.

anyways regarding todays episode, i like it, its very informative and fun to watch with, it just shows how cancer cell multiply, divide and it transfer to another parts (or metastasis)...
FouAlterAug 20, 2018 3:16 AM
Aug 20, 2018 3:59 AM
Mar 2017
Fujimaru-kun died ;-; Mash come here I shall comfort you(proceeds to NTR Fujimaru-kun)
Aug 20, 2018 4:04 AM

Jun 2014
I think the prostration of Cancer Cell is kinda questionable...
The show made it as if the Cancer Cell's destructive action is some kind of act of revenge towards unfair oppression, when in fact that's what cancer cells do.

If you want a tragic story for cancer cells, the better way of doing it would have been making them monsters that have no control over their actions.
Aug 20, 2018 12:25 PM

Nov 2014
Cancer's backstory and character was really nice, but it went way too easy. When I saw it coming I expected literal armageddon (medication) and story that will take all 2nd half of anime.
Aug 21, 2018 1:52 AM

Jun 2014
Terkhev said:
Cancer's backstory and character was really nice, but it went way too easy. When I saw it coming I expected literal armageddon (medication) and story that will take all 2nd half of anime.

Went way too easy? Not really, humans often have cancer cells in our bodies, it's just production error that happens. But in a healthy body: i.e. one where the immune system are working properly. They will get killed off way before they got the chance to become a problem.
Aug 21, 2018 3:18 AM

Nov 2014
garyborken said:
Terkhev said:

Went way too easy? Not really, humans often have cancer cells in our bodies, it's just production error that happens. But in a healthy body: i.e. one where the immune system are working properly. They will get killed off way before they got the chance to become a problem.

Yeah, I know. But when we got cancer cliffhanger in previous episode, I expected a big development, not another monster of the week.
Aug 21, 2018 3:44 AM

Nov 2010
I drink less alcohol now, because I don't want to harm those cute platelets inside me.
Aug 21, 2018 4:29 AM

Sep 2007
Really a great episode.
From the beginning to the end.
Loved the fight, the full ending ...
And in in same time the last words of Cancer Cell.
Aug 21, 2018 9:39 AM

Jul 2016
So the main issue some people have with this episode is that they made cancer cute /badass/have a sad backstory and I don't know about you but I personally didn't sympathize with him at all and the reason for that is simple they showed me what he can and want to do to this body so I can't say "poor cancer chan he just wanted to live" after seeing him almost kill white blood cell, he is like every other villain who almost kill everyone in the show but have a sad backstory,

The point is even if they give cancer a sad backstory that will not make it any less of a villain

HECK giving any villain a sad backstory does not and should not make their actions acceptable
Aug 21, 2018 10:13 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
It's hard to sympathies with the cancer cell when irl no one wants to have cancer. Gong to the doctor and hearing those words "you have cancer..." is just heart breaking. And here they want us to feel sorry for the cancer cell?
The first half was good imo.

Aww a little bit of platelet scenes. I'll call her Hana Platelet because that one platelet looks like Hanamaru from Aquors. Found it so cute when she was poking her friend's cheeks.

That Macrophage is savage, wanting to aim for the head but instead her blade lands on the shoulder. Overall, it was a pretty fun episode.~

Aug 21, 2018 1:55 PM

Sep 2007
garyborken said:
The show made it as if the Cancer Cell's destructive action is some kind of act of revenge towards unfair oppression, when in fact that's what cancer cells do.

If you want a tragic story for cancer cells, the better way of doing it would have been making them monsters that have no control over their actions.

This.
Cancer cells are not some kind of outcasts that just wanted to live a normal life like everybody else but ended in a "purge or be purged" struggle for revenge. Imagine a film that introduces a young Hitler as a loner who just wanted to be accepted and loved, but only got humiliation, pain and suffering, making you sympathize because "oh how poor soul he was early on". It would feel awkward to me.

The villain also died too quickly and easily after the laughter ex machina boosted NK's power alone up to eleven, compared to the intended dramatic tension of the first half of the episode. From a narrative viewpoint, it just killed the drama for me. Too rushed IMHO.

The final dialogue also gave me the impression of mimicking the social condemnation in Japan against individual "weirdos" that don't follow their preconceived role in the society (i.e. otakus, shinguru, etc.), and thus are perceived as being a dead weight for the rigid collective. But maybe I'm just loading that with meanings that weren't intended to be.
ConnachtAug 21, 2018 2:00 PM
Aug 21, 2018 2:02 PM

Apr 2015
I don't really think the point for giving a "sad" backstory to the cancer was to make us feel pity for it.

It was more just to give an understanding of what the cancer is and why is it formed, at the end of it, is just a cell that mutates without it's consent. And considering that the anime make cells have personalities and emotions is just natural.

Although I do agree that was overly dramatic at the end. Too much time wasted on that monologue while reminding the cancer cell "your existence is a threat so you must be eliminated" more than once made it worst.

Regardless, it was a very good episode. I give it a 8/10 because this episode animation was freaking ugly, and even non motion frames were poorly made.
Aug 21, 2018 3:50 PM

Mar 2015
Japan, making us sympathize with cancer since 2018.
Pretty great episode but I feel it suits a finale more than an episode that's just there in the middle.
Also, the cure for cancer is laughter? What?
Aug 21, 2018 5:51 PM

Dec 2016
Wow the person whose body this takes place in is living a pretty shitty life, like damn, they can't catch a break lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 21, 2018 7:11 PM

Mar 2013
OriharaShinra said:
Wish real life cells would be able to kill cancer cells on the stage that was pointed to be here (on metastasis) because when cancer is before metastasis it means it has already progress beyond immunity.
I think you missed part of the narration/text - the immune system kills cancer cells all the time, well before they even become tumors. Those that register are an already especially hardy bunch.
Bibimbapski said:
Who cares about your tragic backstory when your proliferation means tragedy for the host and their friends and family.
Which is what makes it a tragic backstory: in the end, all he wanted to do was live, but his existence was incompatible with the continued existence of the world. He had to be destroyed not for what he did, but for what he was.
Aug 21, 2018 7:19 PM

Sep 2013
Polycell said:
OriharaShinra said:
I think you missed part of the narration/text - the immune system kills cancer cells all the time, well before they even become tumors. Those that register are an already especially hardy bunch.

No, I do know that immune cells kill cancer cells all the time, the cell division process has lots of steps that can fail and the regulators of the celular cycle also fail a lot. But what I meant was that a cancerous cell that is on metastasis is already on a state in which the immune system has been surpassed and in that case human intervention is needed.
"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious."
FAL SPRING 2019 Rank 650 FAL FALL 2019 Rank 136
Aug 21, 2018 8:54 PM

Apr 2015
Modo942000 said:

Also, the cure for cancer is laughter? What?

You would be surprised how much benefits laugh gives to our bodies.

Not the cure but it's more like a "boost" for some cells.
Aug 21, 2018 9:45 PM
Aug 22, 2018 12:19 AM
Dec 2017
Cancer cell didnt do anything wrong. The feeeels tho
Cancer cell is kinda similar to Tokyo Ghoul, Parasyte and Hunter x Hunter
Aug 22, 2018 2:49 AM

Aug 2010
TheFreycook said:
Wow the person whose body this takes place in is living a pretty shitty life, like damn, they can't catch a break lol

Pretty sure the person is pretty healthy. Bacteria, virus, etc attacks our body everytime and his immune system works well to handle everything, including cancer cells. (too well in case of pollen allergy).
Aug 22, 2018 4:35 PM

Jan 2008
garyborken said:

I kind of got a different impression than you did. The way I saw it, was that cancer turned out like he did through no fault of his own, but his existence alone was a threat to the body. As such, white blood cell felt bad for him, but still recognized that he needed to be eliminated.

Basically, even though the series gave him a sympathetic backstory, I don't think it was trying to excuse his actions or anything or say that the immune system was unjustified in destroying him and his friends.
Aug 22, 2018 8:46 PM
Mar 2018
Very intense episode. Since we're at e7 I knew the threat would be destroyed. I'm in love with this show. Yay for Crunchyroll.
Aug 23, 2018 10:54 AM

Oct 2008
It was amazing. best episode so far.
I like anime.
Aug 24, 2018 2:09 PM

Nov 2016
Anime almost made me cry for cancer, fucking cancer..... another great episode of the best show this season.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 24, 2018 8:09 PM

Jan 2009
of course this psychoneuroimmunology fringe science bs was gonna show up at some point, well I know people who have died from a heart attack while laughing so how's that?

Sensational nonsense.
Aug 25, 2018 3:26 PM
May 2017
This episode was cancer.
Aug 28, 2018 3:27 AM

Aug 2016
Please just freakin stop, why you do this to me? Why you making me sad and emphatic for cancer cell? It's literally cancer. Why you do this?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2018 9:05 AM
Jan 2016
Nice adaptation, but yeah, it can't makes me feel pity for Cancer cells. Cancer cells are really dangerous because of their activity and must be eradicate as soon as possible, and yeah, everything that disobey the rules, can't live in this world, I totally agree with WBC...and yeah we can't choose where or when we will born in this world but we can choose what kind of person we want to be in our each life and yeah, maybe that's one thing I can learn from this eps...
Sep 3, 2018 6:24 AM

Jun 2015
The happiness that comes from laughing is due to you knowing that you helped your immune system kill cancer and save your platelets.

Sep 3, 2018 8:10 AM

Apr 2017
did I just felt bad for a fucking cancer cell

buy mochi at the mochi store
and friends at the friend store

Sep 3, 2018 10:35 AM

Dec 2016
The cancer cells are deadly if not detected at the right time :( I didn't feel sorry for them one bit! They are a big threat to our immune system.

Loving this anime so far :) I like how educational it has been since the beginning ^^

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Sep 5, 2018 4:34 AM
Mar 2013
One of the best episodes, Akira Ishida really makes the character, it was nice to see a more interesting take on the villain battle, the talk between him and WBC at the end was good too, wonder if he'll actually get back, being cancer and all

I find it funny when a goofy show has a dramatized episode, it's never meant to be taken too seriously, it's a nice change of pace, many of us have bad experiences with cancer personally or through relatives, friends etc but that doesn't mean you can't appreciate the directional choice and characters of a show, he wasn't really painted as "he did nothing wrong" like some other airing show but rather a necessary to deal with threat, nothing wrong with making it a bit emotional/dramatized, most people including me enjoyed it more that way
Sep 5, 2018 6:58 AM
Sep 2017
Laughter is really the best medicine lol
Sep 6, 2018 6:12 AM

Jul 2009
That backstory reminded me of Sasuke's backstory in naruto for some reason.
Sep 7, 2018 8:52 PM

Oct 2008
Cancel cell is really stronk!
3 vs 1 is nothing and not a challenge for him!
But good thing Commander Helper T cell already made a major move and defeated the multiplying cancer cells!
5/5.

Sep 12, 2018 10:17 AM

Dec 2014
well mixed feelings for the cancer cell… I hate when we feel bad for the bad guys….
Sep 14, 2018 8:41 AM

Sep 2010
Interesting how cancer is the one enemy we've seen that arises entirely within the body's usual mechanisms.

Heroic line from white blood cell when he says metastasis is the one thing he can't allow the cancer cell to do.
Sep 14, 2018 9:20 AM

Apr 2015
Oof. This show made me feel bad for cancer. It didn't ask to be born a problem. :(
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 17, 2018 10:50 AM

Sep 2018
The narration puts the concept that one normally has of the tumors under a different light, humanizing it to the extreme, with obvious repercussions on the psychological level. Sad and nice episode, excellent choice.
Oct 1, 2018 4:12 AM
Sep 2015
Hehe this anime is trying to make me feel bad about the Cancer Cell but I couldn't care less
Oct 1, 2018 4:13 AM
Sep 2015
bunny1998 said:
Laughter is really the best medicine lol

Basically this episode taught us that laughter can help you fight cancer
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2018

153 by Seraschi »»
Apr 16, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2018

81 by Seraschi »»
Apr 16, 1:57 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2018

72 by Seraschi »»
Apr 14, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2018

82 by Mario_M_001 »»
Apr 14, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2018

91 by Seraschi »»
Apr 8, 5:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.