Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Cells at Work!
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 18, 2018 1:17 PM

Jan 2013
NK Cell is total bae....and try as they might, they are certainly not gonna make me feel bad for cancer of all things
Aug 18, 2018 1:39 PM
May 2017
Best episode of the series until now.

As in real life, cancer is the hardest enemy for the human body to fight and, in several cases, a lost war, with several lost battles and a few won.

Great story -- and we know how it ends, because it is ours.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Aug 18, 2018 2:00 PM

Sep 2011
This episode was SO good! It should've been the last of the season, now I can only hope it will live up to it.

I never thought I would feel empathy for a cancer cell, it was just so thoughtfully done that I can't even. I loved the small moments, like Killer being tricked by NK, and ending up splashed by B Cell, it was so funny and cute, and how she did it in order to be revitalized with her property, it was great.

I also loved the cute moment between Red Blood Cell and White Blood Cell by the end, and how she was the one to warn Macrophage and the others. We had some great action scenes too! They were all so good that it's hard to say, but this was one of the best episodes yet!
Aug 18, 2018 2:21 PM

Dec 2013
Ultimate Cell Form NK

This episode really makes you think, I'm sure we all have lost a loved one because of cancer, but it is doing what it was born to do, just another living creature on our universe.
Aug 18, 2018 2:35 PM
Mar 2017
Cancer did nothing wrong.
Aug 18, 2018 2:41 PM
Aug 2014
So....cancer cells have feeeeeeelings too!
Aug 18, 2018 5:16 PM
Mar 2016
for ppls asking about "why macrophage didnt eat bactery/virus?" on influenza episode
on minutes 13.38 they actually cook it LOL

so we got a learning point
-dont be sad ppl, or your natural killer cell never get buffed
and getting teached Humanity by Cancer Cell and White Blood Cell!
Aug 18, 2018 7:02 PM
Aug 2016
Even if the vision of cancer was poetized to the point that I felt sorry, it is still better than the vision of my immunology teacher:
"In the human body, a cancerous outbreak is like a group that decides to proliferate by and for them in a hive society, putting in risk those who surround them in favor of living among their own, they must be killed for the crime of wanting to be more than just a functional piece "
Aug 18, 2018 7:46 PM

Dec 2017
Actually felt sorry for Cancer cells, but also that they should get exterminated. Like when it's purely for self-defense but against someone that's doing things against their own will.
Aug 18, 2018 7:59 PM

Dec 2013
I expected cancer to be a mindless villain just like the rest of the germs in this series. I didn’t expect this feels!
Aug 18, 2018 8:03 PM

Mar 2016
I can't believe there are that many cancer cells being produced everyday. I should really laugh more often.

I am going to miss Ishida Akira's voice. Why does he always die!!!?? Just look at the heartfelt performance he gave that can make you feel bad for a cancer cell! This man is so used to playing characters that die.
Aug 18, 2018 9:10 PM

May 2015
As much as cancer is a bitch in real life, Akira Ishida cancer cell is a freaking badass.

"Neuropeptides are produced when the brain is stimulated through laughter. These bind to the surface of NK cells, revitalizing them." Is this true?

Sorry cancer. As sentimental as you can try to be, we just can't allow you to exist...
Aug 18, 2018 9:20 PM

Aug 2017
So sad being a Cancer cell.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 18, 2018 10:15 PM

Jul 2017
I love NK Cell so much; she can pin me down anytime

I cried a little towards the end btw
あなたは誰?
Aug 18, 2018 10:27 PM

Feb 2018
started off like

ended like

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2018 10:37 PM
Nov 2017
Fuck your grudge. Fuck your grief. Fuck your anger. Fuck trying to make you sympathetic.

FUCK CANCER.
Aug 18, 2018 11:40 PM

Apr 2015
A bit messy, but I appreciate the construct.
Aug 19, 2018 12:31 AM

Jan 2017
I almost felt bad for cancer cell. Almost.
Aug 19, 2018 12:52 AM

May 2016
At least we got to see those adorable plateletes this week. 😂

Aug 19, 2018 12:56 AM

Nov 2013
I'm sorry cancer, but you need to go to make this world a better place. Can't believe this series give me a slight pity for a cancer cell lol

Fayrin said:
This episode was SO good! It should've been the last of the season, now I can only hope it will live up to it.
THIS. I've read the original manga, and when I see that they rearrange the chapters (ep 2 anime is manga's chapter 5 or 6, forgot), I thought they'd save the cancer story for the last episode of the season. The only chapter that could rival it imo is
chapter, but I doubt the anime will reach that far.
Aug 19, 2018 1:46 AM

Jun 2013
Jesus Christ, this show made CANCER CELL look sympathetic. Well, it's true, it IS a cell and it's just doing what it's designed to do but NO SYMPATHY from me. Cancer Cell is only sympathetic as an Anime or manga character because they gave him a personality and it looks like a human or rather a character from Tokyo Ghoul. However, let's NEVER forget how much of a danger cancer really is. I've lost friends, family and even a former coworker to cancer. Not to mention all the millions of children, adults, etc. who have died from cancer or area currently suffering from cancer and probably have no means of getting cured. FUCK CANCER. Who cares about your tragic backstory when your proliferation means tragedy for the host and their friends and family.

Anyway, the best parts of the series were the platelets, of course. RBC poking Platelet-chan's cheek and NK laughing, getting powered up and kicking Cancer Cell's ass. Also, I ship NK Cell with Killer T Cell, yes, they're cells but I can do whatever I want.
臭い-
Aug 19, 2018 4:39 AM

Sep 2011
Mich666 said:
No, there are some cultures that are incompatible to ours and the sooner we realize that the better. People can't be friend with everyone and especially those who doesn't share our belief, no matter what humanism is trying to tell us. It's just doesn't work.
you must be very fun at parties. Like how much do you let politics consume your life that you watch a goofy series about cells and somehow take it as an opportunity to push some shit about immigration.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 19, 2018 5:57 AM
Jul 2016
It's kinda hard to feel sympathy for the cancer cell since it's... you know, a cancer cell. So I was conflicted on the flashback part
Aug 19, 2018 6:57 AM
Jul 2018
finallyyyyy an episode about cancer
Aug 19, 2018 8:08 AM
Apr 2018
I only watch the anime but I think they could've extended this cancer arc a bit. The thing looked extremely dangerous but if what they showed us is what happens regularly with cancer cells I guess it's fine.
Aug 19, 2018 9:23 AM
Aug 2017
That was a great episode.

The battle against cancer was really good, it showed how strong and dangerous cancer is, and how anyone can get it.
Aug 19, 2018 9:47 AM

Feb 2014
Somethings are there just to fulfill their role, whether it may be justified or not.

Damn this episode really made us feel for Cancer Cell. -/-
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Aug 19, 2018 10:12 AM

Mar 2018
What a sad life. I feel sorry for the cancer cells.
Aug 19, 2018 10:47 AM

Jul 2017
SaiDrew said:
I only watch the anime but I think they could've extended this cancer arc a bit. The thing looked extremely dangerous but if what they showed us is what happens regularly with cancer cells I guess it's fine.

あなたは誰?
Aug 19, 2018 11:53 AM

Apr 2015
I hoped that the cancer cell would pose to be a bigger threat and become the big/main antagonist of the series, instead of having him be defeated in 1 ep. Though I could be wrong with what he said near the end to White Cell, about how he was defeated for "today". Overall I'm loving this series so far and impressed by how educational yet entertaining it is.
Aug 19, 2018 11:53 AM

Oct 2012
JizzyHitler said:
you must be very fun at parties. Like how much do you let politics consume your life that you watch a goofy series about cells and somehow take it as an opportunity to push some shit about immigration.

It's other way around - this series tried to push something like that right in the face and this was the result. And come on, it's obvious it was meant that way. There are times when humanizing the antagonist is a good thing in anime but this wasn't the case. Or would you go open arms to someone who just tried to kill you and your friends? In fact it would be a lot better resolution of the situation if he straight away killed him without mercy and let viewers think about it - it would be harsh but it would at least send some message - this was a cringe instead.
Aug 19, 2018 12:31 PM

Feb 2014
Damn, that was a pretty intense battle. NK did struggle more than I thought she wouold, along with Killer T and our familiar White Blood Cell, but when everyone rallied together, it made the final moments of the fight really epic, with NK getting a power buff by trolling Killer T once again! XD

Another plus side was that the Platelets made a proper appearance again and our Red Blood Cell couldn't help but poke her finger into one of the Platelets cheeks, who also high-fived her in return. It almost gave me a cuteness overload again. X3

Lelouch0202 said:
Cancer cell, a flawed existence. Who's to blame ? :(

I can understand that mindset. It sucks for those cells in the first place, but they're still cancer cells after all. Sooner or later, they still need to be eliminated. It's sad, but that's the way it has to be. =(
Aug 19, 2018 1:25 PM

Apr 2015
This anime never fails to amaze me so far. Loved how tense this episode was. Cancer cell is a serious threat (as one would expect). But seems it's not the last we've seen of him.

Can't get enough of Red Blood Cell and the platelets, poking the platelets cheek was just too adorable!

Aug 19, 2018 2:23 PM
Jul 2018
whoa this episode made me rethink of cancer cell to a whole new level.. (kind of reminds me one of ZnT twists)

I wished the show could pause whenever we got to see new things and narrators could dictate them like the old episodes. I find it cooler that way.
Aug 19, 2018 5:58 PM

Sep 2013
They gave cancer a sad past for us to have empathy towards them, but in the end they are still cancer cells.

Wish real life cells would be able to kill cancer cells on the stage that was pointed to be here (on metastasis) because when cancer is before metastasis it means it has already progress beyond immunity.

Also, cool that in the anime all cells can do something against cancer cells, and it was just hinted but the main eritrocyte did a non-profecional antigen presentation, wish they would have note that and talked about it, maybe in the future.
"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious."
FAL SPRING 2019 Rank 650 FAL FALL 2019 Rank 136
Aug 19, 2018 8:19 PM
Apr 2018
The 7th episode of Hataraku Saibou leaves with:

1. Dramatic an Epic scenes with a fight that represents perfectly how people deal with cancer at first stages
2. A reflexion about how Cancer Cells should be and how they are, also how we create them in our body
3. A promise that the will come back with more power and problems to the White cells and the imune system
4. A beautiful character design with multiple posibilites of development

and 5. The possibility that in the next episodes, the imune system and our main characters will lose against cancer.
Aug 19, 2018 8:41 PM
Nov 2017
This episode was amazing, lots of useful information and was genuinely emotional. Also did anyone notice that it was literally just Tokyo Ghoul's premise. Like the main cancer cell kinda looks like kaneki, the whole purpose of the cancer cell was "We were randomly created, why can't we live too". Just like ghoul's in tokyo ghoul... Honestly, it felt a ton like tokyo ghoul.
Aug 19, 2018 9:01 PM

Jan 2013
Very intense and interesting episode, it explains so well how cancer works and a lot of details that i never heard of.

I laughed at the moment where they said that laughing revitalizes your NK cells, it's funny knowing that your laughter actually helps your cells to fight cancer while watching an episode where it's explained how NK cells revitalize xD

Glad that they managed to destroy him, and again...all thanks to the red blood cell xD
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 20, 2018 1:29 AM

Mar 2018
What a nice emotional episode, stil awesome to watch even read manga before.

And I just realize 2nd verse of ED at the end of this eps.
Glasses girls is the best girls.
Aug 20, 2018 3:07 AM
Jun 2017
LIVE A HAPPY LIFE AND LESS STRESS!!!! This is the message of today's episode....
Actually you may have heard something before that smiling or being happy kills those cancer cells and its true, as shown in the episode (the pathophysiology of NK cells) when it laughs hard, there is something that are being released which actually aids in eradicating those cancer cells.

anyways regarding todays episode, i like it, its very informative and fun to watch with, it just shows how cancer cell multiply, divide and it transfer to another parts (or metastasis)...
FouAlterAug 20, 2018 3:16 AM
Aug 20, 2018 3:59 AM
Mar 2017
Fujimaru-kun died ;-; Mash come here I shall comfort you(proceeds to NTR Fujimaru-kun)
Aug 20, 2018 4:04 AM

Jun 2014
I think the prostration of Cancer Cell is kinda questionable...
The show made it as if the Cancer Cell's destructive action is some kind of act of revenge towards unfair oppression, when in fact that's what cancer cells do.

If you want a tragic story for cancer cells, the better way of doing it would have been making them monsters that have no control over their actions.
Aug 20, 2018 12:25 PM

Nov 2014
Cancer's backstory and character was really nice, but it went way too easy. When I saw it coming I expected literal armageddon (medication) and story that will take all 2nd half of anime.
Aug 21, 2018 1:52 AM

Jun 2014
Terkhev said:
Cancer's backstory and character was really nice, but it went way too easy. When I saw it coming I expected literal armageddon (medication) and story that will take all 2nd half of anime.

Went way too easy? Not really, humans often have cancer cells in our bodies, it's just production error that happens. But in a healthy body: i.e. one where the immune system are working properly. They will get killed off way before they got the chance to become a problem.
Aug 21, 2018 3:18 AM

Nov 2014
garyborken said:
Terkhev said:

Went way too easy? Not really, humans often have cancer cells in our bodies, it's just production error that happens. But in a healthy body: i.e. one where the immune system are working properly. They will get killed off way before they got the chance to become a problem.

Yeah, I know. But when we got cancer cliffhanger in previous episode, I expected a big development, not another monster of the week.
Aug 21, 2018 3:44 AM

Nov 2010
I drink less alcohol now, because I don't want to harm those cute platelets inside me.
Aug 21, 2018 4:29 AM

Sep 2007
Really a great episode.
From the beginning to the end.
Loved the fight, the full ending ...
And in in same time the last words of Cancer Cell.
Aug 21, 2018 9:39 AM

Jul 2016
So the main issue some people have with this episode is that they made cancer cute /badass/have a sad backstory and I don't know about you but I personally didn't sympathize with him at all and the reason for that is simple they showed me what he can and want to do to this body so I can't say "poor cancer chan he just wanted to live" after seeing him almost kill white blood cell, he is like every other villain who almost kill everyone in the show but have a sad backstory,

The point is even if they give cancer a sad backstory that will not make it any less of a villain

HECK giving any villain a sad backstory does not and should not make their actions acceptable
Aug 21, 2018 10:13 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
It's hard to sympathies with the cancer cell when irl no one wants to have cancer. Gong to the doctor and hearing those words "you have cancer..." is just heart breaking. And here they want us to feel sorry for the cancer cell?
The first half was good imo.

Aww a little bit of platelet scenes. I'll call her Hana Platelet because that one platelet looks like Hanamaru from Aquors. Found it so cute when she was poking her friend's cheeks.

That Macrophage is savage, wanting to aim for the head but instead her blade lands on the shoulder. Overall, it was a pretty fun episode.~

Aug 21, 2018 1:55 PM

Sep 2007
garyborken said:
I think the prostration of Cancer Cell is kinda questionable...
The show made it as if the Cancer Cell's destructive action is some kind of act of revenge towards unfair oppression, when in fact that's what cancer cells do.

If you want a tragic story for cancer cells, the better way of doing it would have been making them monsters that have no control over their actions.

This.
Cancer cells are not some kind of outcasts that just wanted to live a normal life like everybody else but ended in a "purge or be purged" struggle for revenge. Imagine a film that introduces a young Hitler as a loner who just wanted to be accepted and loved, but only got humiliation, pain and suffering, making you sympathize because "oh how poor soul he was early on". It would feel awkward to me.

The villain also died too quickly and easily after the laughter ex machina boosted NK's power alone up to eleven, compared to the intended dramatic tension of the first half of the episode. From a narrative viewpoint, it just killed the drama for me. Too rushed IMHO.

The final dialogue also gave me the impression of mimicking the social condemnation in Japan against individual "weirdos" that don't follow their preconceived role in the society (i.e. otakus, shinguru, etc.), and thus are perceived as being a dead weight for the rigid collective. But maybe I'm just loading that with meanings that weren't intended to be.
ConnachtAug 21, 2018 2:00 PM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2018

153 by Seraschi »»
Apr 16, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2018

81 by Seraschi »»
Apr 16, 1:57 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2018

72 by Seraschi »»
Apr 14, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2018

82 by Mario_M_001 »»
Apr 14, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2018

91 by Seraschi »»
Apr 8, 5:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.