Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 17, 2018 2:45 AM

Aug 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hm, I didn't watch this anime as 3 episodes but as one movie. I really liked it! Two sweet stories, not the best I ever seen but still I couldn't stay indifferent.
Plus that last image of flying into the future plane was quite inspiring!
Oh, and one last thing XD I guess what I especially liked - it wasn't about love, romance. tho I kinda expected their happy reunion. But it turned out more about family, friends, first childish feelings. In general anime felt more realistic that way)
Aug 19, 2018 1:20 PM

Dec 2016
Bruh this shit was so sad, that ending was heart crushing but then ... it wasnt lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 20, 2018 2:32 AM

Mar 2018
Finally, an Anime Movie with a happy ending!

The "Shanghai Koi" Ep gets a *beri naice* rating just because its a homage to 5 Centimeters per Second

Overall its good.
"As someone who deranked from Legendary Eagle to Gold Nova, i can really say that war is hell."
Aug 20, 2018 10:27 AM
Apr 2018
The last story made me cry but the ending was happy and how the main characters take their flight to future was a great idea:)
Aug 20, 2018 7:12 PM
Aug 2018
This last story was well done, and interestingly enough, the 'love' in 'Love in Shanghai' can be taken to mean more than just romantic love.
Aug 20, 2018 11:02 PM

Dec 2014
: typical romcom in the end…I am glad it ended in a happy note….
Aug 27, 2018 11:57 PM

Jul 2011
This last episode + ending with all three episode characters together were awesome. IMO whole movie seem to be somewhat underrated.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Aug 28, 2018 1:24 PM

Sep 2015
Even if they ended together it still left a bad taste in my mouth. So many years together lost for a childish misunderstandings...

Also, she gave up on her future for a teenager love and got beaten for that. The father has crossed the line there, but was not completely wrong, she was stupid.
Sep 1, 2018 4:50 PM

Jan 2016
shiro_kai said:
Even if they ended together it still left a bad taste in my mouth. So many years together lost for a childish misunderstandings...

Also, she gave up on her future for a teenager love and got beaten for that. The father has crossed the line there, but was not completely wrong, she was stupid.

you took the words out my mouth lol I couldn't cry or be too sad about it because he fucked up by being soo damn childish. And for her to reject the school and get her ass beat for that and he goes off to the school anyway lol just craziness. But the ending was beautiful. I am glad she came back and the ending after the credits with everyone around each other at the airport was awesome too. I love this movie
Sep 1, 2018 5:38 PM

Sep 2015
Miki-Samusu said:
shiro_kai said:

you took the words out my mouth lol I couldn't cry or be too sad about it because he fucked up by being soo damn childish. And for her to reject the school and get her ass beat for that and he goes off to the school anyway lol just craziness. But the ending was beautiful. I am glad she came back and the ending after the credits with everyone around each other at the airport was awesome too. I love this movie

I like happy endings too, but I can't stop thinking (and laugh) about how he was probably becoming a successful architect while she will be struggling at McDonald's just because of a dumb misunderstanding. lul
Miki-Samusu said:
shiro_kai said:

I like happy endings too, but I can't stop thinking (and laugh) about how he was probably becoming a successful architect while she would be struggling at McDonald's just because of a dumb misunderstanding. lul
Sep 1, 2018 5:43 PM

Jan 2016
shiro_kai said:
Miki-Samusu said:

I like happy endings too, but I can't stop thinking (and laugh) about how he was probably becoming a successful architect while she will be struggling at McDonald's just because of a dumb misunderstanding. lul
Miki-Samusu said:

I like happy endings too, but I can't stop thinking (and laugh) about how he was probably becoming a successful architect while she would be struggling at McDonald's just because of a dumb misunderstanding. lul

lmaoo that's how it goes in the anime world. Two people who love each other wont listen or communicate with one another. One ends up successful with work while the other struggles...and may work at mcdonalds lol
Sep 1, 2018 6:05 PM

Sep 2015
Miki-Samusu said:
shiro_kai said:

lmaoo that's how it goes in the anime world. Two people who love each other wont listen or communicate with one another. One ends up successful with work while the other struggles...and may work at mcdonalds lol

It may happen... we don't know. When love is all that matter, everything is possible... Would be funny at least. xD
Sep 2, 2018 12:10 AM

Mar 2012
Personally the only story I liked, had Makoto's feel even if it isn't his work. The first two were very bland.
Sep 4, 2018 5:32 PM
Jul 2017
This movie's pretty shit imo.
Sep 10, 2018 8:40 AM

Feb 2018
The movie eps 3 liked Byousoku 5 centimeters
Sep 10, 2018 4:18 PM

Jun 2013
Byousoku 5 centimeters with happy end.
Oct 2, 2018 12:49 PM

Sep 2018
I liked the 3rd story more. Very moving. ;'(
~ Floquinho771
Nov 16, 2018 3:04 PM

Oct 2015
This was such a beautiful romantic story.

I'm glad Li Mo met again with Xiao Yu, it kinda was obvious they would reunite but it should've been romantic with beautiful words and heartwarming embracement.

But anyways, I liked how they all meet indirectly at the airport with characters from the first episode to this one.

7/10 and it wasn't bad.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 17, 2018 2:38 PM

Jan 2016
Watched it as a movie and it exceeded my expectations!

The first story was great! I've seen people say that it's boring and all but I found it really relaxing and I liked the story it told through food.

The second story was my least favorite. While it wasn't bad, it wasn't superb by any means. I can't relate to showbiz and I'm not really interested the modeling aspect of it so there was not my in it for me. Ultimately the big sister was trying to care for her sister but ended up doing it in a way that you're not supposed to. The last part with her little sister making her wear that dress they wore as children was really sweet though.

The third and final story was also really good. A childish misunderstanding but he admitted that it was childish. I didn't like how he was during his university years but he matured after that and for once we had a semi "happy ending"

Overall 8/10

I had a good time with it and the art was great, reminiscent of Shinkai Makoto of course
Dec 14, 2018 7:15 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great movie!
All the three stories had redeeming factors which made each special and I thoroughly enjoyed all of this for it!

First story had a really nice country feel to it and I really liked the emphasis on the ‘food’. Very relaxing and a little saddening when the Grandma passed away, but a really nice watch nevertheless! I’d really love to try this noodle someday, too!

Second part of the story focused on the more busy city side of the show-biz industry and it was equally just as impactful and great! Lu Lu’s elder sister really tried her best and it was nice to see her manager and Lu Lu lift up her spirits in the end there when she fell into a slump. She definitely cared for her little sister but the lack of understanding between the two almost ended things there. I particularly liked how Lu Lu made the red cloth reminiscent of their last, it really just spoke volumes itself. It’d a depressing tone to it all but it really showed what importance and value a family can have. I was totally shipping the Manager and the Elder Sister there, a little let down it didn’t happen.

Third and final part was definitely my favourite of all the three, a very realistic and depressing tale of high school friendship, love and juveline misunderstandings. Really heartwarming in the end when she returned back home, too. She must’ve had really strong feelings for our protagonist since she came back even after being rejected of sorts by our protagonist. I certainly didn’t think that was going to happen, I almost thought I was going to be watching 5 cm per second Vol 2 here. Anyway, the tape that Li Mo found at the beginning there was really well backed up by the storytelling. It’s sad that he was too caught up in exam prep that he completely left out everything else and even when he finally got to meet her again, his stubbornness and youthfulness took the better of him. One thing that bugged me though is why he didn’t visit the hospital to check up on her after she failed her exam intentionally, it could’ve easily cleared the misunderstanding before things got out of hand after a thorough and honest talk. But well, it was a great story nonetheless! (Just Because vibes, by the way).

Final scene after the post credit when all the characters gathered up coincidentally in the airport was really touching and fulfilling! All the Characters will now diverge into different paths with stronger ideals than ever before, and it’s wonderful/beautiful how brilliantly all this was conveyed through those vital messages passed on to us the viewers!
_MushiRock11_Dec 14, 2018 7:57 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Feb 20, 2019 2:30 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I think this one has the most emotional upfront and best "STORY" of the three. But it relying of historical and human sadness kinda ticks me off. It's just boy and girl story of how the love didn't work out and oh no, she made a tape for him the whole time and he didn't know. Cliche as fuck to characters I just, don't care about really.

I think the China in the past backdrop is interesting and is very informative of the landscape at the time but it doesn't do anything really other then place the characters for the setting in general. This could've been the whole movie emphasising them as individuals and their relationship but no. And we have our third wheel best friend here because WHY NOT.

5/10. Not impressed with any story, yes visuals were nice, had good ideas, execution and emotional centerpiece was not utilized.
Apr 14, 2019 4:44 AM

Nov 2018
This one was the best. Also, Walk is a great song. Really liked it.
Sep 25, 2019 11:46 PM

Jul 2016
Easily, the best story out of the three.

Honestly, a bittersweet conclusion would have been more fitting but since I'm a sucker for happy endings, I really don't mind it that much.

Overall, these short films were quite enjoyable to watch.

7/10 - Nothing spectacular but not a waste of time either. Would definitely re-watch it again.
Nov 26, 2019 9:03 PM
Dec 2017
I believe few can deny that the third part was the absolute best out of the three. Its similitudes to "5 centimeters per second" aside, a story about a first love is inherently powerful since almost all of us can find a way to relate to it. Whether by our own similar stories or by (in my case) how we wish our stories were...

First one was pleasing but only because of the food visuals, and I had a hard time connecting with the characters of the second one. But the topics explored in the last one are some that I believe more universal above a certain point in life... Having a childhood crush/first love, reminiscing about old times with old friends and suddenly realizing how different the status quo has become, and wishing we could go back in time to prevent our childish young selves from doing something stupid, are just a few of these "universal" feelings that it manages to evoke. Plus, adding the fan servicey ending where the ideal yet not realistic scenario is reached brings a needed solace for many of us and injects a little hope where it was needed. If the third part was a stand-alone short film I'd rate it a 10 out of 10.
unriddleNov 26, 2019 9:23 PM
Dec 2, 2019 7:01 PM

Jul 2016
SouthRzVa said:
7/10 - Nothing spectacular but not a waste of time either. Would definitely re-watch it again.

Hey, and I did it (~ ̄▽ ̄)~
Dec 24, 2019 8:38 AM

Feb 2019
Loved this third story the most. It reminds me a lot of 5 Centimeters Per Second, but was caused instead by a misunderstanding. It does remind me too of Just Because! with its plot point, but I believe it was better executed even if it was far shorter than that series.

It was really sad that Xiao Yu was beat up by her father because of not entering that high school. I don't know if it was stupid or not to do that for the sake of love, so I can't say much on that point. But it was really sad that Li Mo did all that and it turned out that he didn't even need to. But I was happy when I saw that Xiao Yu waited on the bridge to wave Li Mo goodbye.

I thought at the end it was Yin Li the model who showed up at the motel, but it turns out it was Xiao Yu? I thought they were going to leave us hanging but I'm glad at the end they showed us that the three friends reunited and it seems Li Mo and Xiao Yu will be/are a together! Love the happy ending which I didn't expect (coming from the studio of my favourite director Makoto Shinkai who has under his belt a lot of bittersweet endings lol).

As for whether it really impacted her future as some have said in this thread... I don't really agree, because in the end she went to the US to study and you can't be that stupid in order to qualify to study in the US, especially back then in the early 2000s when things were still different. I'm of the opinion that decisions should ideally not be regretted, even if they seem stupid, because if that had happened we couldn't be sure that we'd be more successful anyway.

Anyways, loved all three, but the third one is the best in my opinion.
Jan 3, 2020 5:57 PM

Mar 2016
ah, the trope of a -could be lovers but oop a misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided with kindergarten-grade communication- . it was well executed for the duration but i feel like it had so much more possible for it.

6/10 overall as in to say, i had a little giggle here and there, felt reaaaally hungry, the settings and visuals were good ideas, however as mentioned above, the execution wasn't the best. i would watch it again if i had free time on a summers day though.

Feb 15, 2020 7:35 PM
Sep 2017
Holy shit my heart holy someone call the ambulance I can't make it
May 14, 2020 8:58 PM
May 2020
Actually i watched this anime a long time ago and i think i only finished 2 parts (due to special reasons) so i really cant remember much its not that i hated it of course i was sad at the story but it really didnt touch me
May 14, 2020 8:58 PM
May 2020
Actually i watched this anime a long time ago and i think i only finished 2 parts (due to special reasons) so i really cant remember much its not that i hated it of course i was sad at the story but it really didnt touch me
Jun 10, 2020 8:33 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
I considering this movie as an anthology with a great moral lesson in the end. Its good, to seeing some people perspective during their difficult life. Its a 3 narrators, telling diffirent story, with much likely same difficulty during their lifes. Yet, i found it a little depression on some moments. But in the end, all were well must be a very nice to seen.

A very good signs must be enough for this movies. The messages were clear until the end. Thats good. The moral lesson felt bold even after some long pauses. Thats nice. Eventhough shit much happen. Thats just some good addition to the story, which was very great decision to be executed. I am very satisfied. Since the duration felt okay, the movie just fitted enough with the messages, and that was some great movement, i am very satisfied. Thats it for this little show. Must be more nice, and maybe the score can goes to 10, if the animations and the art design filled more smooth and good than this. For me, the level of the animation and art there were okay, not great, nor so bad. And the soundtracks felt very weak comparing with others great movies. Ah, thats my only complain. Overall, its just very good in the end. Once again, 8 points must be enough for this little movies.
badabassJun 10, 2020 8:37 PM
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jun 17, 2020 2:56 AM

Oct 2016
Out of the three stories, this was definitely my favorite. Even though Li Mo was a stupid bitch I still enjoyed this one.
Jul 2, 2020 7:19 AM
Jun 2015
Watched it as a whole movie, loved all three parts, but especially this last one. It is so wonderful. Even though things didn't go as they wanted, they had to go through difficult situations, but in the end they were meant for each other so they got together. I love this story.
Aug 24, 2020 4:27 AM

Apr 2013
Man this series was so beautiful, full of nostalgia and beauty of childhood and the reunion was so nice. Overall the visuals were insanely stunning and the shots were so well-done and symbolic. This part was full of emotions.
Sep 7, 2020 9:55 AM

Jun 2017
Why is it this anime movie only has an average of 7 stars? It was pretty impressive and touching! It gives you a feeling of nostalgia...to treasure your memories because it will always be part of you. This movie makes you appreciate that life is so good! If there's one thing I admire in a story, it's something that has morality in it. I love it!

The last episode was my favorite! They sure saved the best for last. Now I want to start to audio record important stuff. Then listen to them when I grow older. 🥰

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Sep 19, 2020 7:14 AM

Jun 2020
it was a nice little movie to watch when you watch the 3 in a row (as it is on netflix)

sub > dub for me even tho chinese dub was available, the japanese voice acting was still better.

enjoyed the art direction, the art was amazing! but the narrative fell a little flat. just simple, heartwarming stories, they were all nostalgic and evoked emotions in their own way, i enjoyed them all equally!

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Dec 10, 2020 4:40 PM

Mar 2020
I have to say it's his fault for not listening to that tape in the first place.
Dec 27, 2020 7:04 AM

Jan 2020
only episode 3 is good for me

Jan 26, 2021 8:36 PM
Jan 2021
The final hurted in my soul
Feb 9, 2021 9:12 PM

Feb 2020
The third story was the best in my opinion. The other 2 weren't that great but I def enjoyed watching them.
Feb 10, 2021 5:52 AM

Jun 2020
The MC in this one was so stupid. A sigh of relief when I saw the girl come into the store.
Mar 1, 2021 5:58 AM

May 2019
LOL

This Movie, in short:

"Byousoku 5cm - 2nd Movie, this time in China"

You can safely say that.

It is not even trying to hide it.

In short it is the best review for Shiki Oriori Movie, since it is directly inspired by that Makoto Shinkai's movie, had his hand in the production, by the same studio.

The same plot of love of youngsters in past frustrated by unlucky or random circumstances (especially in the 1st and 3rd Shiki stories). And all with amazing representation of China.

At least the 2nd story about the model was a bit more original.

About this last episode, the boy was blunt, dense and stupid, just as like the boy from Byousoku.

The girl was decided to fight everything, her father in special, to don't stay far from the boy, and he completely pranked her.

And i'm sure that if you are used with asian culture, you can say that it is not weird there (people hidding their feeling to the ultimate consequences). Come on, eastern asians, please, open more yourself to avoid this. It is annoying.

Mar 19, 2021 11:07 AM

Dec 2020
Shiki Oriori que o filme a história de "Amor em Xangai", ele evoca a incomunicabilidade entre pessoas que se amam, como Your Name, mas sem o componente transcendental.
Apr 3, 2021 2:24 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Why did you have to hurt me like that? I related to this one on so many levels and the scene after the credits with all of them in one shot was genuinely crafted. This was a brilliant story, really highlights how late 90's early 20's kids grew up.
May 1, 2021 5:23 AM

Apr 2009
Now, this is again an example why you can't trust MAL score. Considering the the running time for each story, the characters and stories are very well written and relatable.
And the ending scene connected all three stories nicely with a touching, full-filling, warm feeling.
Ppl like to compare it to Byousoku, but I don't really get the similar feeling. This one has is better wrapped up and concluded too.

shiroi-ookamiMay 1, 2021 5:37 AM
Sep 17, 2021 4:47 PM
Dec 2020
The 3rd one hit different tho. I was so sad then I was happy with that ending. Imagine tho if he listened to the tape earlier they wouldn’t have wasted all that time of suffering.
Oct 19, 2021 6:34 AM

Dec 2020
this kinda felt like a shoujo story but Not. in a bad way. but eh the whole exchanging records part was Really really cute, glad they got a happy ending

and ah !!!! this was where WALK by vickebalnka was from. i heard it the first time from my discover weekly on spotify and played it before i go to sleep since. such a good song, suited this story too
Nov 8, 2021 1:27 AM
Aug 2021
The first one honestly didn't feel all special but the food and the animation was peak there. The second one is rather realistic, as several models get eating disorders as they're making an effort to get thinner for modelling. The cassette exchanging in the third one is really cute. It was the best one imo.

I'll give this a 7.5
/10 for the third story and the pleasing visuals and animation.
Dec 26, 2021 7:10 PM
Feb 2021
Can anyone tell me what's thier age when they reunite in the 3rd episode? And does she will live in Shanghai now or go back to US? And does she have sam feeling like before?
Mar 16, 2022 12:34 PM
Dec 2021
The third one hit me hard. Thank god it ended the way I wanted to be.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shikioriori Episode 2 Discussion

TheFreycook - Aug 19, 2018

14 by nickehhhhhh »»
Jul 25, 2023 5:41 AM

Poll: » Shikioriori Episode 1 Discussion

Klad - Aug 8, 2018

37 by nickehhhhhh »»
Jul 25, 2023 5:41 AM

» Super uderrated

Cursed_Mark - Sep 2, 2021

9 by Kunii »»
Sep 2, 2021 1:10 PM

» Episodes and Duration

BoosterGold - Mar 28, 2018

1 by thesarcasticguy »»
Aug 13, 2018 11:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.