Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2018 7:08 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Personally, I think this series still has a strange pacing. Setsuna does discover more info about Rinne about her past though so at least that's some progress.

Based on the storytelling of the past, they have met before and it's when Rinne took care of him. A bit generic if you ask me. Then, there's a bit of time travel logic added to the story elements. I honestly wish they developed Rinne or Setsuna better. Sara's hypothesis may also seem possible at this stage. Guess we'll have to see what develops from here.
Stark700Aug 12, 2018 8:02 AM
Aug 12, 2018 8:12 AM

Dec 2014
I'm still not entirely clear on how the timeline is working in this. I think I get the gist of what's happening but I'm not too clear on stuff. I guess I should've been paying more attention.
Are the two Setsuna's different people or is the same guy just locked in sort of a time loop kinda ordeal.

The time travel elements of this show aren't really explained well apart from the stating of the fact that it exists.
Aug 12, 2018 11:12 AM

Apr 2016
It seems that every episode, even more questions have been added than answers (if there are).

I still can't completely comprehend what's going on about the story. It's like you're figuring out how to solve a knot puzzle. I still like it though. :v
footmasterAug 12, 2018 11:33 AM
Aug 12, 2018 12:16 PM

Jan 2015
This show is crazy... And I don’t mean to say that in either a good or bad inflection. It just is. I’m dying to make sense of what’s going on. And, honestly, until the talk of a singularity in this episode, I’d largely wondered whether or not time travel was actually going to be a thing in this series, or if it was just some excuse being bandied about by confused, amnesiac characters.

To this point in the show though, it seems as if it’s going to prove true. And, while I’m probably way off, I have a suspicion that both Setsuna and Rinne are exactly who they think they are to each other, but that they’ve both been time displaced. And if Setsuna indeed traveled to the past, the present day in the show, it was probably through the aid of the future, busty, Sara. Why he believes he’s got to kill someone, remains to be seen. Unless it has something to do with protecting Rinne, or someone else, from harm. Or else, stopping something nefarious, perhaps relating to exploiting the singularity?
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Aug 12, 2018 12:50 PM

Apr 2010
Okay, I must say, the first part was... nah... I was quite disguised at them being together, as I thought she was at Karen's age, but she's damn 23!

I can try to guess what will happen next (though all the past part is still quite a mystery), but I still look forward to it.

Aug 12, 2018 1:38 PM

May 2017
This plot is just going nowhere at this point. I'm starting to hate this anime even more. It's like it's trying its best to be some sort of awesome time travel anime and failing horribly. I just feel as though it's very difficult to comprehend the plotline easily.
Aug 12, 2018 2:14 PM

Feb 2014
I won't deny, but the anime is doing a good job at adding tons of more questions about the whole plot and only bothering to answer a few of them at a time. >.<

Confusing the story might be, but at least the peaceful and comedy scenes are still really enjoyable. =)

Although seeing Rinne's eyes change after hearing about Sara's theory was a bit creepy. She's really desperate to go back to see her 'real' Setsuna that she's become reckless to the point that she's endangering her life.

Either way, I'm still looking forward to seeing where the story will go next, despite it being a slight confusing mess. Good episode overall. =)
Aug 12, 2018 2:58 PM

Mar 2016
seriously am i the only one who thinks weird all this situation being in a relationship with a loli such a grown man??
Though i dont understand something can someone explain??

How Rinne went to the future (how she gone missing and after five years they found her with the same clothes etc ) As they say to travel time is to go to the other island But THAT is only for present to past right ???
TehManiacAug 12, 2018 3:27 PM

Aug 12, 2018 3:53 PM

May 2018
Ya know the plot maybe all over the place, we only need to be patient, cu'z things were starting to make some sense.
Aug 12, 2018 4:05 PM

Dec 2016
This episode was a mess. Anyone else feeling really confused after this?
Aug 13, 2018 12:21 AM

May 2015
Kuon writes fast...

I'm going to say this again. Kuon is the real Rinne...well even if she isn't, she knows something...

Rinne doesn't have her umbrella with her...

I think the story of Rinne and Setsuna stuck on the island would have made a much more interesting series...

Sharptail Mola? I'm pretty sure Sara just said Manbou (Sunfish)...

Ooook, not gonna lie. The look in Rinne's eyes freaked me the hell out...

Rinne from the past fast forwarded to the future when she came back via boat...and she wants to go back to the past to see her "Setsuna."

Setsuna from the future goes to the present. Rinne from the past goes to the present. Rinne is going back to the island...back to the past. Setsuna will be following...also going back to the past...Rinne sees past Setsuna. Future Setsuna sees past Setsuna...Legend speaks of Rinne falling in love with another man, then remembering Setsuna and jumps into the sea to end her life...unless jumping into the sea meant that she drifts onto the island where Setsuna is...and that's when Setsuna sends Rinne back via boat which results in the events repeating over time...Setsuna came from the future back into the past, which is present day. He lost his memories, but he knows he has to kill someone. My guess is that the person he has to kill is the other Setsuna to prevent some sort of paradox from happening. Wait....are we going to have some sort of time loop where it will keep going on until one of the Setsunas dies or something?

This is some dank horseshit...and they're really going all out with the storm sound effects. Things are getting serious now, and I'm intrigued. Let's see if we get some answers next episode...
TarotistAug 13, 2018 12:34 AM
Aug 13, 2018 1:24 AM

Jul 2014
Okay, so when Rinne's father pushed the original Setsuna into the sea - if we assume Sara's hypothesis is indeed true - he went through the wormhole and washed up on that other island away from Urashima, then Rinne went missing at sea, went through the same wormhole and ended up there with him, albeit after some time had passed. Then Setsuna "found a boat" and sent Rinne back through the wormhole and onto Urashima, where she washed up five years after leaving.

So that accounts for those two, but I'm still unsure where the current Setsuna fits in to all of this, and how everything links back to the folkloric tale of Rinne and Setsuna (as I'm assuming will end up being the case). For one, that other island appeared to be uninhabited according to Rinne's memories, so how would current Setsuna have discovered the wormhole in the first place and - if he loses his memories each time he jumps (again, assuming Sara's hypothesis is true) - how he was able to find it again. For Rinne and original Setsuna to discover it makes sense as that seems to have been entirely accidental for both of them, but that doesn't explain it for current Setsuna.

In any event, it seems pretty clear that the two Setsunas aren't the same person: they both had different voices by the sounds of it, and original Setsuna had a lot of distinct scars on his arms and face that aren't present on current Setsuna. There's also the fact that Rinne herself doesn't believe that current Setsuna is the same as the original - hence her course of action in attempting to go through the wormhole again - and while that isn't entirely credible due to her muddled and missing memories, it seems reasonable enough to trust her judgement on that front.

Other than that, the OST around the halfway mark when Setsuna was having his flashback/premonition while Rinne wandered onto the pier was very creepy and really added to the atmosphere at that point, so props to the show for that one.
Aug 13, 2018 4:00 AM

Apr 2015
At this point, visually I really like this anime but story telling wise it's raising way too many questions.

The whole thing about Rinne doesn't sit right with me. The whole time traveling aspect is confusing me and Kuon is sure hiding something. I personally think she's the real Rinne.

I also feel like, since all the characters are mostly speculating on what happened that it raises too many questions. I hope it gets a little clearer in the coming episodes.

To the episode itself:

That kick to the face from Karen was funny (I need a gif of that).

I swear, those eyes on Rinne... I almost thought she was gonna kill someone.
Aug 13, 2018 6:37 AM

Oct 2015
Did Setsuna just wanted to slap Rinne? Worst scum ever on the worst anime i'm watching right now

The enduring levels are sky high and i am on god level
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 13, 2018 7:12 AM

Apr 2018
Maybe the other half of the anime gonna be so great by solving every single question and giving sense to every single shit that happened that yge rating gonna be an 8 who knows
Aug 13, 2018 10:41 AM

Jul 2016
I'm pretty worried about how they can resolve mysteries created at the end with such terrible pacing.But,anyway.

We get to know Reinna's backstory and Reinna get scared and feel useless about herself.She wanna save the "real" setsuna,but we don't know isn't Sara's hypothesis correct or not.Reinna decided to take risks no matter what...This is getting interesting.

I'm pretty sure that we're arriving at the climax of the story.

Life is empty without anime

Aug 13, 2018 12:57 PM

Oct 2012
It seems the viewer's understanding of the mystery changes along with that of the characters. They're confused so we are too. I can see that we're getting closer to the truth and am hoping the payoff is worthwhile.
Aug 13, 2018 7:01 PM

Nov 2016
I'm asking myself why no one else has discovered that wormhole if there's one with every storm, I mean some others must have traveled back and forth too.

Well, I hope we get a better explanation. I really enjoyed a lot of the character interaction so far, but the storytelling is a bit chaotic.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 14, 2018 4:52 AM

Oct 2008
oh! a wormhole at the middle of the sea while storming...sounds legit!
3/5.

Aug 14, 2018 11:27 AM

Feb 2017
i guess this anime gonna turn into full dank mode.
unfortunately, pacing and build up was so boring that some people already drop this.
this is the only episode i give some shit until now.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Aug 15, 2018 2:00 PM

Aug 2013
This adaptation is screaming for 24 episodes (like older visual novel adaptations from last decade - 12 episodes build up, 12 rest of the story). It felt awfully rushed and I can only imagine how much they skipped. I still like it though.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 15, 2018 4:07 PM

Dec 2016
Rinne is cute

That is the only reason I am still watching this, basically.

What's the difference?
Aug 17, 2018 7:32 AM

May 2013
My theory is that the so called Original Setsuna is Alpha Wordline Setsuna who experienced a lot of shit and is older than Amnesiac Setsuna who is from the nearer future in the Stein;s Gate. Well both versions are from the future i think. Rinne traveled in time via "this thing is a Boat too"--probably a fckng cryogenic capsule or something and ended up in the present. Original Rinne is probably Kuon but somehow ended up travelling to the present or future past years earlier.
Aug 17, 2018 5:02 PM

May 2018
I think there's 2 Setsunas. One for Kuon and one for Rinne. I think the Setsuna we're seeing now is actually for Kuon.

If Kuon is Rinne's mother, why does she look to be the exact same age as Rinne?

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Aug 18, 2018 1:37 AM
Aug 2018
Kuon is the most important character in the game.

Rinne's father is a big secret in the game.
Next episodes ending theme will change.

DON'T WATCH THIS SHIT ANIME WHICH ONLY HAVE 12 EPISODES(The flow of the game for about 25 hours)

Game with the English translation will be sold next friday on steam.So please drop this anime to buy the game if you are interested in those characters.

Haru_Q5Aug 18, 2018 1:43 AM
Aug 18, 2018 7:24 AM

Jun 2017
I am sensing some mindfuck here, especially with Kuon, I guess she was at the beginning of the first ep and not Rinne plus the way she was jealous already makes it suspicious.
Aug 20, 2018 4:10 PM

Aug 2017
Meh, the anime is so generic. The time travel lacks of a proper explanation. The pacing is too fast. I think that Kuon is the real Rinne. A mysterious island shows up in a storm.

1/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 10, 2018 12:15 PM

Dec 2014
My hypothesis both setsuna are same… that’s why they are showing the faces… oooh this just got more interesting
Oct 2, 2018 6:33 AM

Jun 2011
TehManiac said:
seriously am i the only one who thinks weird all this situation being in a relationship with a loli such a grown man??
My biggest gripe with this show. Moe loli can be cute and endearing if used right but this is just freakin weird that every 17 years old+ girls have a body of a 9 years old and it's not an exaggeration, the guy is like twice their height. Doesn't help that the girls act like 9 years old too instead of 17.

Also I would suggest giving up on trying to figure out which way would they time travel, I think it's going to focus more on the story than the little details like that.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 31, 2018 5:14 PM

May 2012
Quite a different episode again compared to the previous one, the pacing is all over the place :s really do wonder what's next though.
Dec 2, 2019 10:10 AM

Jun 2017
The plot thickens... Glad that the other two girls' arcs are out of the way.
Jan 18, 2021 7:32 AM

Feb 2018
So, he's not Setsuna? Rinne's problem is very complicated, it's just that Rinne loves Setsuna too much. This is a tragic love story
Feb 7, 2023 1:02 PM

Aug 2019
suddenly rinne has basically gone insane

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 11, 2023 7:27 PM

Dec 2022
This is getting real interesting now can't wait to see what the island in blue really is.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Island Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2018

183 by Cyanwasserstoff »»
Jan 15, 11:22 AM

Poll: » Island Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2018

81 by Miki42 »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:14 AM

Poll: » Island Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2018

67 by Miki42 »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:13 AM

Poll: » Island Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2018

85 by Miki42 »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:12 AM

Poll: » Island Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2018

51 by Miki42 »»
Dec 1, 2023 1:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.