Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 11, 2018 5:37 AM
Jul 2016
I was just wondering, how faithful is the anime to the manga? I'm plan on checking out the manga, but wanted to know if this was a true adaption or not.
Aug 11, 2018 6:18 AM

Dec 2015
It is an incomplete adaptation: while you have the random stories (and a bit more) of the manga's beginning (in other words, when the author had no idea of a potential story) and the first actual long story, it ends on a second long "exclusive" story who has nothing to do with the comic while missing the concluding real second story of the books and the flashback part (Tsuioku-hen).
If you really plan to read the manga, you could avoid this entirely since it doesn't add anything of value (except maybe some voices and the openings?). Of course, despite being mediocre, the TV show isn't actually bad.

A later part of the manga (a few chapters focused on revealing the hero's past) has also been adapted into animation. But since it was as OVAs (direct-to-video market), the makers were more free to show depictions of violence and had money. The "Tsuioku-hen" OAVs should be seen, either as a stand-alone product or as a derivative work of the manga, because they offer a good retelling of those few chapters while being very well crafted (the whole package: visuals, sound, direction, etc).

Question: what is "a true adaptation" for you? Because the real goal of an adaptation has never been to copy picture for picture, line for line, the original work but to bring another vision upon it to render it differently (and exploiting the support's specificities).

For example, the first live action movie is an excellent theatrical adaptation streamlining the beginning of the manga into a coherent story.
Aug 11, 2018 6:37 AM
Jul 2016
Thank you for the response, i appreciate it!

I should have given an example of what i meant by 'a true adaption'. I'm heavily aware the goal of adaptation one format to others, but what i meant was if it altered curtain plot points and character arcs/development. One example is MadHouse's Hunter X Hunter adaptation.
PascoeStudioSep 13, 2018 12:48 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin Episode 17 Discussion

Drgentile777 - Feb 28, 2010

17 by Osk_Social »»
Apr 19, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin Episode 15 Discussion

Drgentile777 - Feb 27, 2010

19 by Osk_Social »»
Apr 18, 4:30 PM

» *spoilers inside* shishio.....

Videogamecoper - Mar 13

2 by Nikolo123 »»
Mar 14, 2:55 AM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin Episode 8 Discussion

Drgentile777 - Feb 25, 2010

26 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 7, 12:54 AM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin Episode 7 Discussion

WolfWood37 - Apr 15, 2009

31 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 6, 7:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.