Forum Settings
Forums
Aug 8, 8:26 PM
I See People Say "Anime Is Trash And So Am I" A Lot Is This Some Sort Of Meme Or Something?

Or Are They Serious?

Do You Agree? If So Why Do You Think Anime Is Trash? Why Is The Anime Community So Self Conscious?

Also I Have Seen The Variation "Anime Is Trash And So Are We" But Please Don't Lump Me In With You I Think Anime Is Just Fine and I Am Not Meme Trash Like You

Aug 8, 8:29 PM

bitchassdarius said:
I See People Say "Anime Is Trash And So Am I" A Lot Is This Some Sort Of Meme Or Something?

Or Are They Serious?

Do You Agree? If So Why Do You Think Anime Is Trash? Why Is The Anime Community So Self Conscious?

Also I Have Seen The Variation "Anime Is Trash And So Are We" But Please Don't Lump Me In With You I Think Anime Is Just Fine and I Am Not Meme Trash Like You

Reddit space harder, you're flaming.
"If you died, would anyone care? Would they really care? Maybe, they'd cry for a day. But, let's be honest no one would give a shit. They wouldn't. The few people that would feel obligated to go to your funeral would probably be annoyed and leave as early as possible. That's who you are. That's what you are. You are nothing to anyone. To everyone."
-Mr. Robot

"I can take another name, and build a new life.. But on the inside I'll always have that instinct, no matter how much I hate it. I'm yakuza through and through. Guile only gets you so far in this game. Remember that. You won't get another chance."
-Kiryu Kazuma

Aug 8, 8:29 PM

Why Was I Built To Feel Nothing But Pain.

Aug 8, 8:30 PM
Loli King~

Bad meme that anime fans say because the fandom let the bullies/toxic people win so if they call anime shit, they think they will appear hip, but in reality are horrible anime fans.

Aug 8, 8:30 PM
ComfyRize said:
bitchassdarius said:

Or Are They Serious?

What Is Reddit Spacing And What Are You Talking About?

Aug 9, 4:00 AM

Dumbest shit ever, I guess, just like the entire overused joke that is the "haha I suck 'cause I like anime" memeshit that gets iterated and reiterated even though it wasn't even really ever humorous or useful to anything except some basic ass deflection to begin with. "Ha! People can not shit on me if I just shit on myself first!" is always what seemed to be the logic behind it. So I've always kind of just found the self-deprecating meme spam other anime fans do to be groan-worthy, and I certainly don't feel any different about this dumb shit.

I actually kind of tend to like Digi on these topics, I guess. At least it's one of the things I've consistently found myself agreeing with him on, which feels kind of weird.
Modified by Manaban, Aug 9, 4:05 AM

Aug 9, 4:06 AM

I mean, you really can't blame them for watching too many isekai and ecchi right?

Now to cleanse the soul of the humanity:
Iya na Kao sare nagara Opantsu Misete Moraitai

or

Sunoharasou no Kanrinin-san

Aug 9, 4:11 AM

Like people say,you are what you eat, same applies to watching anime too.So if you watch trash shows,you're also trash. It's simple logic and proven by science.
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

Aug 9, 4:11 AM
Calm down you all and stop taking a joke out of context. It was about Eromanga sensei and I fought it was very funny. Whoever tries to talk seriously about a JOKE should just stop talking period.

Aug 9, 4:40 AM

Wasn't this a joke by the eromanga sensei fans ?

Aug 9, 4:43 AM

pretty sure they mean it because it's true

ᴛʜɪs ɪs ʜᴀʟʟᴏᴡᴇᴇɴ, ᴇᴠᴇʀʏʙᴏᴅʏ ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ᴀ sᴄᴇɴᴇ
ᴛʀɪᴄᴋ ᴏʀ ᴛʀᴇᴀᴛ ᴛɪʟʟ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇɪɢʜʙᴏʀs ɢᴏɴɴᴀ ᴅɪᴇ ᴏꜰ ꜰʀɪɢʜᴛ
ɪᴛ's ᴏᴜʀ ᴛᴏᴡɴ, ᴇᴠᴇʀʏʙᴏᴅʏ sᴄʀᴇᴀᴍ
ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs ᴛᴏᴡɴ ᴏꜰ ʜᴀʟʟᴏᴡᴇᴇɴ

Aug 9, 4:44 AM

Maybe they want to grow a thicker skin, "it helps a lot when you play competitive gaming."

Aug 9, 4:53 AM
yeah, anime is one of the form of self-loathing anyway

it’s a joke, but it’s a good mantra to make you feel better about what you watch i guess?, you know back then i felt fucking sad watching one room on handphone at night while sleeping in my bed, the only way to get out of that is to curse myself and the anime i watched.

it’s still jokes nonetheless

Aug 9, 4:54 AM

And thats why anime youtubers should be banned.

Aug 9, 5:14 AM

Yeah, anime is trash and so am I. character limit smh

Aug 9, 5:21 AM

It's a funny anime meme xD don't lewd the dragon loli xD get it xD

Swagernator said:
And thats why anime youtubers should be banned.

at least you aren't wrong
Edward Elric > your waifu

Aug 9, 5:39 AM

_Ako_ said:
I mean, you really can't blame them for watching too many isekai and ecchi right?

or

Well men will always be men.
It's just matter of time till their Taste grow further than that.

If they still persist to stay there, must've been a shit taste.

Aug 9, 5:40 AM

i heard that that's a religious cult. they've brainwashed a lot of teens lately, so you better watch out and ignore what they're trying to sell you

my 12 yo nephew Jeff was starting to get affected by them so i beat his ass and he snapped out of it. be careful
Modified by uninstallthegame, Aug 9, 2:03 PM

Aug 9, 8:31 AM

Can this gayass meme just die already?

Aug 9, 8:37 AM

Just another idiotic meme from the anime community. Nothing new.

Aug 9, 8:48 AM

You literally just have to google it to find out what it's from...

Aug 9, 9:05 AM

ComfyRize said:
bitchassdarius said:

Or Are They Serious?

I'm not shitposting or memeing, but as someone not on reddit (and probably never will be) - what does "reddit space harder" mean?

Aug 9, 12:49 PM

gigguk am i right.......................................

Love Live is the best anime mate

Aug 9, 1:04 PM

Xaelath said:
_Ako_ said:

or

Well men will always be men.
It's just matter of time till their Taste grow further than that.

If they still persist to stay there, must've been a shit taste.

As far as I know, it has been scientifically proven that taste as someone grows, even becomes shittier. Just look at MAL.

Aug 9, 1:28 PM

A phrase used by self hating "ironic weeaboos". The type of people that watch filthyfrank and call everything related to Japan weeb, say that Cory In The House is their favorite anime, go to /r/animemes, and do a bunch of other annoying shit because they think its funny.

Aug 9, 1:30 PM
sad and bored

"Anime is trash"
*continues to sign up to MAL*
good job buddy

Aug 9, 1:38 PM

This just proves further that anime makes you depressed and self-conscience about yourself, and we should probably stop watching it.

Nah fr though, is this meme even still relevant?

Aug 9, 1:40 PM

Trash is not so bad as Weebs tho xDDDD

This Signature is gonna be removed soon anyway so...Why?

Aug 9, 2:06 PM

Arimias said:
This just proves further that anime makes you depressed and self-conscience about yourself, and we should probably stop watching it.

Nah fr though, is this meme even still relevant?

one does not take anime memes lightly, my friend. we are MEMERS and our memes are reinforced with high tolerance towards DEATH. so even a gay ass meme about emilia will live on forever

Aug 9, 2:09 PM

I think Gigguk was the one who started this meme, but from what I can tell, he uses it not as true means of self-deprecation, but basically to say, "Just because this show is trashy doesn't mean I can't enjoy it."

Whether or not people memeing this sentence are using it the same way, I couldn't say. There's no shortage of anime fans who are sincerely self-loathing.
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider

Aug 9, 2:18 PM
Nigga you've been watching too much gigguk lately

Aug 9, 7:43 PM

Why The Hell Are You Capitalizing Each Word?

Aug 9, 8:31 PM
Its the same as tumblr type people that think depression is somehow something to weirdly brag about. Anime isn't trash. Maybe some of it is but there is a bunch of quality stuff that isn't trashy at all. But if we identify ourselves and what we enjoy as trash it makes us more "edgy".

Aug 10, 2:41 AM

They are simply attention seekers and try to prove that they are trash just because they watch something that a lot of people think it's trash. They say this just because they want attention, and they driving all the attention towards them just because they insult something they enjoy watching.
"Never let the pain from your past punish
your present and paralyze your future."

Aug 10, 3:28 AM

Anime isn’t trash...but a lot of the fans are.

Then again this principle is true for basically everything.

Aug 10, 3:43 AM

When your entire existence is spent on imageboards, I suppose everything becomes a "meme".

Aug 10, 3:48 AM

My opinion of this meme is that it exists.

And that being self-derogatory is not exclusive of anime fans, it's pretty much widespread on the internet.
Do you like movies? Are you interested on commenting and discussing them? Check The Cinema Club for some film-related talk.

Aug 10, 4:03 AM

im pretty sure gigguk made this anime meme popular and its stupid as hell,the anime community is already seen in a bad light most of the times and they just wanna add onto it to be “edgy ehe xd” “im sad and a trashy weeb xd”
"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk

Aug 10, 4:09 AM

Well, anime is trash. But trash still can be used by recycling it!

Ok, what the hell am i talking about again..?? XD

I seriously need to stop watching idol anime... The fact that I can't afford to buy their CDs yet keep making my heart broken..
(つд⊂)

Aug 10, 5:12 AM

jal90 said:
And that being self-derogatory is not exclusive of anime fans, it's pretty much widespread on the internet.

I guess one of my bigger issues with it in the case of this fandom specifically, is that it often seems to come from a place of external mockery and it's kind of used a way to deflect that, or it comes off like that at least. God only knows how much focus people seem to place on this sort of external, mainstream approval, with this fandom's weirdly exclusive strong, strong sense of proselytizing the medium to non-fans, and how there's generally accepted criticism legit jut focused on just having things that kind of keeps people away from anime who aren't already into it. Which, yes, while pretty much every other fandom isn't unconcerned with sharing their interests I don't think I've ever seen any fandom that focuses on it so, so heavily to the point where it almost feels like an all-encompassing aspect for many. Which is kind of why I think it's much more taking root here than elsewhere, and yes, I think that is very stupid and that people should try not to concern themselves with it so much, if that is indeed the case.

And tbh the reason I'm not a fan of this sort of self-deprecation on a more general level is that I'm well aware of similar, albeit not the same, external circumstances and how these things can twist and mold an environment into a sort of bullshit three-ring circus, where being legitimately passionate and into the central topic can be met with derision and mockery rather than some sort of shared ethos being built on. The anime fandom isn't even the worst fandom I'm a part of when it comes to stuff like this, but I kind of can't help but be outwardly concerned about it all the same, and it may be precisely because of how I've witnessed the fabric elsewhere warp into an environment that makes AD seem like a haven for just not giving a fuck and being able to enjoy whatever. These things can kind of speak towards something greater and not exactly anything I'd ever be willing to consider "good."

Though at the end of the day I'm well aware that I can't do shit about it past trying to encourage others to think for their fucking selves a bit more and have a bit of a spine, it's going to be up to the people behind it to actually have balls in how they approach it, but for fuck's sake I just want people to understand the difference between liking something while thinking it's trash and actually thinking something is trash and that it reflects poorly on themselves as an individual for liking it. Something goofy, something childish, something basic and simple, something creepy - not necessarily things I'm willing to consider trash and worth kind of self-jabbing over like how this meme tends to function in application, ostensibly just how much it fills a dumb, pre-approved mold of how it can impact external view over almost anything else.
Modified by Manaban, Aug 10, 5:17 AM

Aug 10, 1:35 PM

Pro-tip: Learn to develop a sense of humor, particularly about yourself. Some of you are taking the statement to a ridiculous level of literal thinking. Even worse, people are trying to dissect the statement, as if it's some really complicated sociological puzzle that warrants deep study.

People learn to cope by learning to laugh at themselves. The people who take self-deprecating humor personally are hopeless. It's pointless to dissect every aspect of humor and social psychology for their benefit.
Modified by casual_filth, Aug 10, 1:42 PM

Aug 10, 2:25 PM

character count is gay

Aug 10, 3:01 PM

Linh-R1der said:

character count is gay

that's an example of anime NOT being trash

Aug 10, 9:52 PM

I don't think it's serious but even if not serious it can be dangerous to repeat this kind of statement. After all this time there's bound to be a couple of people who actually started to think they are trash because they like anime.

Aug 10, 11:21 PM

InkSpider said:
I think Gigguk was the one who started this meme, but from what I can tell, he uses it not as true means of self-deprecation, but basically to say, "Just because this show is trashy doesn't mean I can't enjoy it."

Whether or not people memeing this sentence are using it the same way, I couldn't say. There's no shortage of anime fans who are sincerely self-loathing.

This here is the only answer that matters in this thread, as it's the only one that explains where the meme comes from. Also, what's up with the hate for memes and anime youtubers here?

Aug 11, 12:31 AM

Wait are we still going to pretend to be surprised or confused when a short phrase suddenly becomes a meme? All that has to happen is some famous person says it or a video containing said short phrase becomes viral, then people repeat it over and over.

Reminds me of the low quality "Damn Daniel" meme that occurred a while back. It was just repeated over and over till people find it funny, I guess?

Although there's also the whole underlying meaning of self-depreciation when facing people criticising them for liking anime, I doubt it's used in this context anymore. It's been spewed so much that people saying it are doing so because other people say it, so it pretty much lost any of its original intent.

Heck can we even say that people shitting on themselves for liking anime comes out of them genuinely being comfortable with themselves? It's like these people are hiding behind a meme to seek shelter from criticism at this point.
I swear I'm not a lolicon.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

If you like my opinions, consider my YouTube channel | My MAL Interview

Opinions are all relevant. I express mine freely and believe everyone should too. Unless you say "<Insert anime here> is the best! Everything else sucks", then GTFO.