Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 18, 2018 4:23 AM

Aug 2015
No i find the site slow and UI is a mess in that whole site.Still i use ANilist as a backup site for MAL.
Aug 18, 2018 6:28 AM

Aug 2018
I heard they don't allow shitposting. Should check that.
Aug 18, 2018 10:28 AM

Sep 2011
MajesticOtaKing said:
I'm going to keep saying it.

Both have advantages over the other, and which one is "better" depends on what you're looking for. Since I want to enjoy my hobby life to its fullest, I'm using both so I can take advantage of each one's positive points.

These are, in my opinion, a few pros of each site:

MAL:
-Better organized database
-More active recommendations, reviews, forums, and (more specifically) episode discussion
-Clubs (although this is in the future for AL)
-Better organized lists
-Personal messages

AL:
-Warm community
-Global feed allows more interaction with the entire site
-Extremely detailed genre and tag filtering system for browsing anime (including an extensive list of hentai tags)
-Custom lists (meaning you can make a "will not watch" list)
-Follow system allows you to more easily keep track of other users who wouldn't otherwise accept a friend request
-Unlimited favorites

It's not an all-inclusive list (and it's definitely subjective), but these are the things that I like about both sites. If you don't have time to be on multiple sites, pick the one that suits you. This doesn't have to be "us vs them" drama.

I'm curious if anyone thinks Kitsu has any pros over the other sites. If so, I may consider using all three.

Finally a constructive post on this thread. Well, as if OP is being constructive on his post though given that he didn't give any justifications on his opinion. Also, you forgot to mention on AL that you can assign your scoring system(If you want 10.0 decimal rating, standard 1-10 like MAL, 1-100 points, 1-5 stars, or smiley).

Then again, it seems AL forums are way better than this shitty MAL forums(You can totally see it from this thread alone, not to mention some hypocrites). Also, AniList can be improved in the future so it can't be help if it looks like it's still lacking something since it seems it's new.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll try AL since I have MAL and my main purpose of my MAL is to have an anime list so making an AL account for the sake of anime list is redundant, which is pointless. Maybe if I want an anime forum to lurk because I'm finally sick and tired of MAL forums, then I might go and try AL. However, AL's forum interface is confusing so it's kinda irritating to browse.
TennoujiAug 18, 2018 10:45 AM

Aug 18, 2018 5:31 PM

Dec 2016
AL is just plain boring. All the fun is still here.
Aug 18, 2018 5:50 PM

May 2015
I always forget about Anilist.
And I like the look of my anime list on myanimelist better.
And everything else here is more inviting too, design on AL looks like it was made with pre-made templates or something.
Aug 18, 2018 7:01 PM

Jul 2014
It's like saying I love emilia.

Good meme.
Oct 20, 2018 1:20 PM

Nov 2015
The only thing I don't like about Anilist is there is no recommendations but I do like that sometimes you can chat with the community and yeah I do look for small sites that talk quite often
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the [urlhttps://theglorioblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/swordart10ass.jpg=]Site & Forum Guidelines[/url].
Oct 20, 2018 2:05 PM

Sep 2017
None are better,both still lacking mangas.
Oct 20, 2018 2:07 PM

Feb 2010
Not really no shitposting allowed and full of people who only watch anime and no one to disscuss manga
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 20, 2018 5:50 PM

Nov 2015
Daemon said:
Anilist's database is trash when compared to MAL, which is really the main thing I care about in an anime tracking site.

Also don't forget the not having any thing recommended to point you to other anime you liked if you liked one particular show
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the [urlhttps://theglorioblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/swordart10ass.jpg=]Site & Forum Guidelines[/url].
Oct 20, 2018 5:57 PM

Jan 2015
everything is better than this thread

ur opinion = shit
Oct 20, 2018 6:03 PM

Jul 2017
frankly its a bit normie for me to use
mal looks fancier and has a larger userbase
Oct 20, 2018 6:12 PM

May 2018
Their API actually works with makes Anilist objectively better than MAL
Oct 20, 2018 6:15 PM
Aug 2011

No it's not. Take LOGH as an example:
https://anilist.co/anime/820/Ginga-Eiyuu-Densetsu/

First up, there's a huge picture banner taking up 1/3rd of the entire screen on my browser at 100% size on a 1920x1080 monitor. That's just an absolutely ridiculous waste of screen real-estate.

Second, it's impossible to know what's a clickable link and what's not without at least hovering the mouse, because they went for a so-called "modern" style in which there's no indication of what's interactive or not. This is just form over function. It "looks nicer" but it has zero thought put in for usability.

Third, it takes 7 mouse-scrolls to get to the bottom of the LHS information panel because of the wasted screen space plus how spaced out they made everything. It only takes two scroll-downs to see everything on the myanimelist page for this show, despite both pages covering the exact same information.

Also, they have picture-links for all relations. Again, this is pretty, except now I can't even see at a glance what all the relations even are, because all they've got is a tiny picture of some cover art with a bunch of Japanese characters on it. MAL has actual text-links with English or romaji so you can read the list quickly and determine what everything is. AniList's relations links are thus useless and time-consuming to check. This would be even worse with a touch screen, since you can't hover and have to actually click every link to see what it actually is. So it doesn't even have the excuse of being good for mobile browsers.

Yeah, it's all pretty and stuff, but it's not designed from a usability-first point of view. MAL adheres to web standards because everyone knows the symbology.
cipheronOct 20, 2018 6:35 PM
Oct 20, 2018 6:34 PM

Apr 2014
it has a smaller database than mal so for a list-updating site, it is objectively inferior
Oct 20, 2018 7:48 PM

Sep 2015
Totally agree, but i'm too lazy to add 127+ entries to anilist.
Dec 26, 2018 4:45 PM

Mar 2014
You actually can just import list from MAL.

Until MAL fixes their API,

i probably had to use both...

one for taiga tracking,

another for looking for anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 29, 2018 6:47 AM

Mar 2018
Yet you have over 450 posts here. smh
Dec 29, 2018 12:03 PM

Oct 2013
I use AL as a back up. It has a very social site quality to it. I find the community there quite nice and supportive than MAL. If active forums, simplicity, larger database is your thing, choose MAL.
Dec 29, 2018 12:39 PM

Oct 2010
What is AniList? does it have ProudAsian?
Dec 29, 2018 12:56 PM
Jul 2018
Please tell me how that horrendous and impossible-to-navigate UI is remotely better than MAL's. It feels like I am using a disorganised version of Facebook.
Apr 18, 2019 11:05 AM

Nov 2015
Eh we a know Anivide/Anispace or Anivide 2008 to pre 2013 was the best anime site...
Anivide Anime friends and everything in between!
Apr 18, 2019 11:06 AM

Nov 2015
Anivide was a good site before the trolls took over. But back in the day 08 to 2011 it was a nice small community with dedicated gobal mods. Anivide was miles ahead of Anilist. Anilist is somewhat a new anivide.
Apr 18, 2019 11:07 AM

Nov 2015
I love how people here and on Anilist call each other cancer lol
Apr 18, 2019 9:16 PM

Jun 2017
i do like anilist's system better for scouting anime, but it can never be as good as mal without the same number of members
Apr 18, 2019 10:03 PM

Jul 2015
As someone who has recently signed up and tried it.

Anilist is better at being an anime/manga tracker because their site provides a richer, more interactive UI using more modern webdev technologies.
-Site navigation & anime/manga browsing is easy & intuitive
-The search filter & tagging is superior
-Has a twitter-like activity stream that lists more than 5 things at any given time
-User anime/manga lists aren't as modular (no header sorting & no custom css as far as I know) but is clean and functional. You can actually manage your anime/manga list entries straight from the list without navigating away. You are provided a button that opens up a modal.
-The api is easy to handle.

But MAL has a better community no doubt due to its superior forum interface.
Anilist's forum looks like it was made for mobile devices. A lot of wasted useless white space, less overall functionality, has minimal text formatting options (uses markdown, rather than bbcode/html), and doesn't use classic limit-offset based pagination so navigating older threads/posts is a nightmare (you'd have to endlessly scroll down and hope your filters sufficiently narrowed things down).

tldr if you want a community, meet & discuss things w/ ppls, stay on mal
if you just want an anime/manga tracker consider anilist.
Jun 30, 2019 3:17 PM

May 2012
AniList better?
https://i.imgur.com/8iDplLZ.png

Lol no
Jun 30, 2019 3:44 PM

Jan 2009
yep i find AniList better too with its listing features
although im still more active here on MAL just because of the higher forum activity here
Jul 1, 2019 7:49 AM

Mar 2013
Nah, i think you were wrong.

who cares about anilist?
Jul 5, 2019 10:39 PM

Aug 2018
It's a bit sad how I'm finding out about these damn sites rather late. But, I think I'll just stick to this one.
INTJ 5w6
Currently Watching:TBA
Recently Completed: Attack on Titan Season 3 Pt 2[/B]
Jul 6, 2019 1:05 AM

Nov 2018
hmmmm, ok... so why are you still here?

❝見つめないで 悲しい方を
目を瞑って 口づけしよう
甘く溶けるメロディー❞

❝邪魔しないで
真夜中のパラダイス
息もせずに潜っていく
二人だけのダンス❞
Jul 6, 2019 3:11 AM
May 2019
Anilist has unlimited favorites, custom list, english titles, community feed, more scoring options, tags, utilizes modern responsive web design, night theme, looks better then MAL by default.

MAL has larger community and more active forums as well as more customizable lists .
Jul 7, 2019 10:09 AM
Jul 2019
Yes I think that anilist is better overall but mal has better forums so there is that at least.
Jul 7, 2019 1:44 PM

Jul 2015
Maybe, but I wouldn't want to start over making another anime list, so I'm stuck on MAL.
Jul 9, 2019 3:47 AM

Dec 2017
PeppermintHearts said:
Maybe, but I wouldn't want to start over making another anime list, so I'm stuck on MAL.

Actually you can export your lists from MAL and upload them to your AniList account. Just sayin, cause I did that the day before yesterday or so and it took me about five minutes. Not sure yet which site I like more, though.
Jul 10, 2019 6:36 AM
Jul 2018
Why? It has no feature to look at your old forum posts...
Jul 11, 2019 2:38 AM
Jul 2018
I really like(d) anilist and might use it more often again, but the site is so slowly loading, sometimes it's unnerving.
Jul 11, 2019 2:41 AM

Jan 2009
Maneki-Mew said:
I really like(d) anilist and might use it more often again, but the site is so slowly loading, sometimes it's unnerving.

i thought its just my shitty 3rd world internet lol guess they need to optimize their code more or maybe they lack server resources at the moment due to financial limitations
Jul 11, 2019 2:57 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
Maneki-Mew said:

i thought its just my shitty 3rd world internet lol guess they need to optimize their code more or maybe they lack server resources at the moment due to financial limitations

I also have a shitty 3rd class laptop since 6 years. Maybe it's us and our laptop / internet gives up on pages that have more code content or more complicated codes.
Jul 11, 2019 3:02 AM

Jan 2009
Maneki-Mew said:
deg said:

I also have a shitty 3rd class laptop since 6 years. Maybe it's us and our laptop / internet gives up on pages that have more code content or more complicated codes.

that maybe another cause of the slow response there

i just remember now that maybe its like the modern redesign of reddit too that is slow on a lot of first world users too despite them having great internet speeds
Jul 11, 2019 3:05 AM

Jan 2009
RunningWild85 said:
If Anilist is better why are you here OP?

Last Online Aug 30, 2018

looks like OP migrated there already for a long time
Jul 11, 2019 3:15 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
Maneki-Mew said:

i just remember now that maybe its like the modern redesign of reddit too that is slow on a lot of first world users too despite them having great internet speeds

Also I like to design my profiles and the more I add...
My internet isn't that bad, it's my laptop, don't know about reddit. The site is a mess, actually it looks like a 90s forum.
Jul 11, 2019 3:20 AM

Jan 2009
Maneki-Mew said:
deg said:

Also I like to design my profiles and the more I add...
My internet isn't that bad, it's my laptop, don't know about reddit. The site is a mess, actually it looks like a 90s forum.

i remember AniList have customizable lists too with CSS like MAL have but i got no idea why they remove that now
Jul 18, 2019 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
I’ve never really had the urge to sign up to AniList, I only ever wanna remain and stay right here on MAL ^_^
Jul 18, 2019 9:53 PM

Dec 2012
never heard of it. most new anime sites usually die after a year or two though
Jul 18, 2019 11:32 PM

Aug 2007
As someone who is mainly a manga reader, the current situation with the manga side of the DB has really frustrated me. Since the anime DB was prioritized during that event one year ago, I made an account there. Now I'm more active there since they fill in the missing gaps I needed.

Everyone has their own preferred site, so to each their own.
Sep 4, 2019 5:12 AM
May 2019
Akiteck said:
You actually can just import list from MAL.

Until MAL fixes their API,

i probably had to use both...

one for taiga tracking,

another for looking for anime.

I use anime-planet it more better the anilist
Sep 8, 2019 2:58 AM

Jul 2019
RafaelPereira97 said:
None are better,both still lacking mangas.

They're called Anilist and MyAnimeList for a reason, their main focus is anime.
Sep 8, 2019 3:03 AM

Jul 2019
-Jiyuu- said:
PeppermintHearts said:

Actually you can export your lists from MAL and upload them to your AniList account. Just sayin, cause I did that the day before yesterday or so and it took me about five minutes. Not sure yet which site I like more, though.
You can actually use both, there's this Tampermonkey plugin called "Douki", you can import from Anilist with a single click!
Sep 8, 2019 3:10 AM

Aug 2018
I like the extra stats and the layout is kinda nice to look at, the forums are a mess though and last I checked MAL's database was more organized. It's good that the site is frequently updating and the community is slowly (too slowly) growing. Maybe in like 2 years from now it'll be a good alternative to MAL.

It's from the same creator of AniChart so I have hopes that he'll be able to do it.
<Insert clever quote>
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» If you are going to Dubai and need a car, enter here

cotetowemixx - Apr 9

6 by cotetowemixx »»
1 hour ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - 3 hours ago

1 by Hikinekomori »»
2 hours ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - 12 hours ago

19 by MalchikRepaid »»
3 hours ago

» Do you post your own original artwork onto social media?

DesuMaiden - Apr 10

23 by Lost_Viking »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - 9 hours ago

11 by Lost_Viking »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.