Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2018 7:03 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Really enjoyed the ONA! I was a bit curious when I saw the title, and it was such a lovely surprise! Actually, at the very beginning, I felt like the character designs were a bit flat, and I also saw XFLAG, which I (badly) associated with Monster Strike and thought it would be bad. But XFLAG and Monster Strike really have nothing to do with each other lol. Sorry XFLAG. Anyways, I kept watching because I heard Saito Soma, and boy am I glad I stayed. I love the whole Tanabata Festival and the idea of a secret festival where the participants are the key to the festival's success. They also thought through everything very well, with the app system which has a person's life log. I'm assuming that's how they were able to "see" their loved ones. Their loved ones are actually dead, so what they see are just a "copy" of those who died, but a really accurate copy, where the reactions would feel real and genuine to the person who wanted to see them again. Quite intriguing.

Obviously, I could've done without the brief antagonist, but it wasn't too bad. It really just wasn't necessary. I suppose it would be though if the audience was younger, or for those who need a bit of excitement in a story. Kana "dying" was also just extra drama, although I still cried for her ;_;

I liked the hints they gave throughout the story, because even though you knew that Shouma's friend, Atsushi, in fact passed away, Shouma being able to see Atsushi one last time was still a moment that had impact. Or perhaps I'm just a huge sucker for any stories that involves death, as well as people seeing their loved ones. Shiori and her sister's reunion was also emotional.

Lastly, this movie sure reminded me of Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo, although one is an adventure and the other is slice of life. But ultimately, both were about getting closure and saying goodbye to a loved one. I wonder if that's also why they chose Kurimaki Anri to sing the ED song, since she also did the ED for Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo. Could be a coincidence though ^^

The festival was mystical as well as beautiful. I love those kind of moments, truly a spectacle.

I cried many tears, from the moment they started hinting Shouma's death, to the resolution of the story. It was nice and simple story.
Aug 12, 2018 8:39 PM

Oct 2010
The only meaning XFLAG had to me was that they're helping Trigger with Promare :)

With Steins;Gate 0, this makes two anime in the current season featuring a digital recreation of a deceased character, and the synopsis of a third I'm not watching (Seven Senses of the Reunion) suggests that possibility. I remember when I watched SAO, I thought Yui in the OP was going to be a digital ghost of the girl who died. Wit studio's 2013 movie Hal involved an android copy of a deceased lover. https://myanimelist.net/anime/16528/Hal Coincidentally, a Black Mirror episode with the same concept came out the same year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Be_Right_Back

I grew up watching Star Trek: The Next Generation, which multiple times had characters using the holodeck to create simulated digital versions of other living characters, who were of course creeped out once they found out. Realistically the holodeck would have been used this way by mourners, but Gene Roddenberry vetoed it: https://futureprobe.blogspot.com/2012/07/roddenberrys-box.html
A young aspiring writer named Ronald D. Moore (yes, the very same guy who went on to create the reimagined Battlestar Galactica) submitted a story called “The Bonding” where the mother of a young boy is killed on an away team mission and the boy bonds with a holodeck re-creation of her. Roddenberry flatly rejected it. “This doesn’t work” he insisted. “In the 24th century, no one grieves. Death is accepted as a part of life.”

The show did come close in an episode called Silicon Avatar, in which Data the android reads a deceased young man's writing to his mother using his voice, and she starts to see Data as her son.

TV Tropes classifies this under "Replacement Goldfish": https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReplacementGoldfish
In a sci-fi setting, the typical trope is the lonely scientist who creates a robot, android, artificial intelligence, clone in the image of the deceased.

I'm glad I watched this, and the ending did work IMO. Though I suppose it's worth mentioning that realistically, most of those people would probably not have been able to say goodbye as peacefully as they did, especially with so little warning of the time being up.
Sep 2, 2018 3:57 PM

Oct 2015
Kinda gave red flags that Atsushi was dead and didn't surprise me at all. It tried to be a slice of life drama but failed, it tried to be a sci fi action but failed too, it tried to be samurai and failed also, it also tried that romance undertone crap and it failed. Merging the spirit world with science is what killed this ONA, that is because its very difficult and requires great execution. The only thing good about this was the animation and everything was average, average MC accompanied by an average anime girl companion. Kana was better but I wouldn't say she was good, better but not good.

Thank the lord it was 1hour and 2 minutes, because if it was longer then I would've gave it a 4.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 4, 2019 2:49 PM
Jun 2016
Story was pretty predictable but they pulled it off beautifully. I thought the samurai business was a bit distracting but sort of necessary as a tool to explain how the festival works. The art and the way the story made me cry pushed it into the 8/10 category.
Feb 6, 2021 8:37 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
The festival of reunion, reunion for the dead. Deep af...

Using a spoiler tab, to shortened my fuckin long comment.

Score for me: 7/10 (+1 for a good art and ost. Everything else were just fine)
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.