Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
UQ Holder
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2018 5:58 AM

Jul 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Finally the forum is able to click and reply now. Well back on topic:

Oh thank god the story didn't butchered this time around, though I'm still getting annoyed by the fact Touta vs Negi-Ialda was mentioned, low budget arts/animations and the lack of Santa (Again). Way better than the second one but still wasn't even that good at all for the reason I mentioned above, this OVA will be a 3.5/5 to me and the all three OVA in overall was 4/10 for how awful the OVA (And Anime) was handled overall. Seriously it's only the first OVA was somewhat decent and the other two was really bad.

I'm actually surprised at they uses the first Negima OVA's OP as the ED of this OVA instead of Love Live (Negima fourth OVA's OP).
Sep 5, 2018 8:11 PM

Feb 2014
better than the main series hehe

7/10
Sep 6, 2018 1:19 AM

Jul 2016
Vi- said:
That's a sad thing. No matter how bad the OVA was adapted from the source material, it's still handled way better than the main anime series which was completely butchered the source material and the plots is too rushed.

The Negima!/UQ Holder! franchise will never receive a better anime adaptation that actually follows it's source material without non-sense anime-only fillers.
Sep 6, 2018 8:06 AM

Feb 2014
MahiaErebeaNegi said:
Vi- said:
That's a sad thing. No matter how bad the OVA was adapted from the source material, it's still handled way better than the main anime series which was completely butchered the source material and the plots is too rushed.

The Negima!/UQ Holder! franchise will never receive a better anime adaptation that actually follows it's source material without non-sense anime-only fillers.

I do not read the original source, though for someone who read it and like it a lot, having something different in the anime is something bad to witness.
Sep 7, 2018 1:17 AM

Jul 2016
Vi- said:
MahiaErebeaNegi said:

I do not read the original source, though for someone who read it and like it a lot, having something different in the anime is something bad to witness.

To be fair, I have no problem about the plots changes and fillers as long as it doesn't changed too much and it's enjoyable (I'm does to enjoys Saiyuki anime despite it contains a brunch of fillers). But what UQ Holder anime did is gone too far as J.C Staff literally skipped too much important plots and forced to make this anime into a fan-service/harem show just to shows nostalgia to the anime-only Neigma fans.
Sep 14, 2018 8:08 PM

Dec 2014
touta is genuinely a good and positive person… I really like his personality…. Haha good episode indeed
Apr 13, 2019 8:00 AM

May 2016
No wonder it has better rating... 7/10
Oct 19, 2019 4:08 AM

Apr 2013
Better than the second OVA, but still not very exciting. Just the same tsunder behaviour again.
Mar 30, 2022 7:41 PM

Nov 2010
That was a really fun episode. Lots of eye candy too.

Damn, Karin's body is so damn nice and I want a touch of Kirie's compact sized boobies hehe

It sucks this wasn't a full season. Such a shame. 7/10
Mar 31, 2022 2:53 AM

Jul 2016
MxS7HGS said:
It sucks this wasn't a full season. Such a shame.

It baffled me even more that after all these years, the Negima!/UQ Holder! series still had yet to receive the "brotherhood" treatment the anime deserved so badly than manga contents being forced to reduced into merely OVAs.
Mar 31, 2022 7:27 AM

Nov 2010
MahiaErebeaNegi said:
MxS7HGS said:
It sucks this wasn't a full season. Such a shame.

It baffled me even more that after all these years, the Negima!/UQ Holder! series still had yet to receive the "brotherhood" treatment the anime deserved so badly than manga contents being forced to reduced into merely OVAs.

Yeah, the anime adaptation is all over the place with so many alternate takes etc. It was a daunting task to plan which to watch first, but I think I made the right decisions, since I'm able to follow most of the plot inspite of it all.

I see the UQ manga just recently finished. Hopefully, years from now, it might get the Brotherhood treatment *fingers crossed*. For now, this all feels like an advert for the manga.
Mar 31, 2022 9:18 AM

Jul 2016
MxS7HGS said:
MahiaErebeaNegi said:

Yeah, the anime adaptation is all over the place with so many alternate takes etc. It was a daunting task to plan which to watch first, but I think I made the right decisions, since I'm able to follow most of the plot inspite of it all.

I see the UQ manga just recently finished. Hopefully, years from now, it might get the Brotherhood treatment *fingers crossed*. For now, this all feels like an advert for the manga.

I don't know which version of Negima anime you watched, but aside of the last three episodes, UQ Holder was originally intended to be a standalone sequel with little to no connection to it's prequel series, thus it's more easily for new fans to follow. It was only when the events of last two episodes (Specially when Negi-Ialda and his crews appeared) happened and the announcement of the anime adaptation that the manga became the official sequel series to Negima (And expanded on some stuffs the Negima manga didn't had a chance to explore).

As for the Brotherhood treatment, well, unless they hired people who respects the source materials and understand the series (Plus with decent animation studio), I don't really want to be hyped at it. Also, the chance of the remake to happen is quite slim since the manga isn't around Kodansha's other series like Fairy Tails or even Shaman King level iof popularity.
MahiaErebeaNegiApr 14, 2022 10:28 PM
Feb 11, 6:05 AM

Oct 2016
I had suspected that Karin would truly fall in love with Touta and finally in this episode, her ship sailed. And Touta got me for good here, because of that sus chocolate, I thought he was confessing his feelings to every heroine and starting his harem journey, but it turned out he's just like any drunk person professing love to everyone.

8/10, OVA is better than its original series adaptation #ChangeMyMind

More topics from this board

Poll: » UQ Holder! OVA Episode 1 Discussion

vicexxv - Sep 9, 2017

34 by MahiaErebeaNegi »»
Feb 13, 12:14 AM

Poll: » UQ Holder! OVA Episode 2 Discussion

modboy - Sep 29, 2018

3 by MxS7HGS »»
Mar 30, 2022 7:09 PM

» Is this a squeal?

vansonbee - Feb 19, 2020

1 by MahiaErebeaNegi »»
Feb 20, 2020 6:07 AM

» UQ Holder! OVA Episode 2 Discussion

MahiaErebeaNegi - Mar 11, 2018

10 by MahiaErebeaNegi »»
Sep 15, 2018 12:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.