Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2018 3:21 AM

Apr 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nope, did not like this, very anti-climatic and it's a shame since I acutally thoughti was decent up till this episode.

Oh well :/

3/5
Aug 8, 2018 7:40 PM

May 2015
A sequel that didn’t need to exist. I don’t now what to say besides it didn’t have the heart and soul that made FLCL, well FLCL.

It was an utter disappointment of a sequel, and the fact there still more to come with FLCL Alternative irks me… And that one isn’t looking that hot either (taking in consideration its first episode already).

Producers need to quit bringing dead stuff back to life for the sake of “nostalgia will sell it”… no everything needs a sequel-reboot. This definitely didn’t…

3/10
zero-rAug 14, 2018 1:32 PM

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Aug 11, 2018 6:03 AM

Feb 2016
The critics were right.

I mean, I anticipated that the sequel would not match the original, but what I didn't expect was for them to fail to tie in a central theme, full of original simple relatable themes at heart. There are some really good comments on reddit (whilst mal was down) that lends a more sympathetic analysis.

E.g. philosophising what it really means to be an adult, a fresh perspective that challenged the way society values what it means to grow up, to be mature. The character development was also much better. A masterpiece of interwoven themes that were bind perfectly to all the wackiness playing out in the background.

I might just decide to re watch this and come back to this comment, but for now, it's a hit and miss.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Aug 13, 2018 4:28 PM
May 2018
This anime is cursed, let us never speak of it again
Aug 29, 2018 2:33 AM

Aug 2013
How disappointing...

At least Ide didn't almost get any screentime in the last episodes. I couldn't stand him screaming "Hibajiri!" every five seconds.
"Doubting everything that you take on... That is very important. Open your own eyes, clear out your ears, and look and listen to the world... And think using your own brain. After you've doubted everything, there is a possibility of something real to believe in. To believe in something, doubt everything."

Sep 9, 2018 9:56 AM

Apr 2016
I think part of why I disliked this sequel so much is that while FLCL 1 was vibrant, kinetic, varied, and daring, FLCL 2 feels plain and often safe, offering nothing but bad attempts at pandering to the trends of the 2010s instead of the 90s/2000s and introducing plot elements that are dubious at best, both in their own right, and in regards to the original.

Apart from the art style shift in episode 5 and one or two dream sequences, FLCL 2 rarely tries different art styles. The animation tends to feel stiff and awkward with the plain designs and art style, and the weak use of cell phones and that tsundere act like that’s wrong on a variety of levels, only add to how this show feels more aggressively modern than genuinely progressive as a sequel to the kind of spirit and vision of the original. There are weird elements about the otherwise bland main female lead that are unexplored, and the narrative is a total mess with what it introduces. While I’m not a fan of the original, it had a sense of uniqueness and passion that’s hard to rival. The sequel never felt like it tried to live up to the sense of passion or identity its titan of a predecessor had. It had the surface elements of FLCL, and while obviously no one was expecting to try to relive that show through this sequel, it never quite felt bold or interesting enough to justify itself as a sequel to something unique that never needed one.

I also really didn’t like any of the characters in this one, and felt that Haruko’s arc was terrible. Jinyu was a waste of a kickass design in my opinion as well.

There's no way Alternative can be worse than this...right?
Oct 1, 2018 6:52 PM

Oct 2010
this show was a mess the entire time. Failed in basically every way it could. Also the quality on Adult Swim's file was absolutely disgusting. Surprised I'm not seeing more complaints about that but I guess most people watched it on TV.
Oct 6, 2018 3:47 PM
Jul 2013
IMO the only thing they got right is the ending song and how it blends in.
Oct 6, 2018 6:43 PM

Oct 2013
It was a fun ride full of teenage themes, what more can you ask for?

People didn't even try to understand it, just dismiss it as randumb. Like the original FLCL was when it came out, before being analysed to hell.
Oct 7, 2018 8:13 AM

Apr 2016
dc22 said:
It was a fun ride full of teenage themes, what more can you ask for?

People didn't even try to understand it, just dismiss it as randumb. Like the original FLCL was when it came out, before being analysed to hell.
I can ask for worthwhile visuals, a main character whose baggage is actually relevant, more agency, for things to not make you question the world and logic of the original, for the show to try to stand on its own merits more, for them not to wreck Haruko's character for a dubious character arc that also conflicts with the character relationships presented beforehand, for Jinyu to just be her own character and not a part of Haruko that escaped to become a character before being eaten, for Jinyu to actually affect Haruko's personality depending on if she's inside her or not, need I go on? There isn't much worth analyzing, because the themes aren't presented in a manner that actually functions, and as a sequel, this show actually cripples its predecessor while pailing in comparison in every way.

Keep in mind, I don't like the original. However, it was smartly written and was filled to the brim with passion in terms of direction, visuals, and music. None of that can be said for Progressive, at least in terms of how it feels and why it was made.
Oct 9, 2018 4:41 AM

Apr 2011
I'm a big fan of the original, and to be honest I steered clear of progressive due to initial impression. Otherwise I would have finished it when it aired. Personally I actually thought it was a lot better than people are saying. If it had less going on giving it time to breathe (like the original) it would have been better. Also the symbolism is way more obvious and heavy handed. Still, it was good in my opinion. It's basically flcl "girl perspective". That's not a bad thing, and personally I don't think it took anything away from the original. I'd go as far as saying I liked it almost as much as the original.
FintanOct 9, 2018 4:46 AM
Oct 30, 2018 5:21 PM

May 2017
As a huge fan of the original, this was a slap in the face in every sense possible. Characters were terrible, story was nonsensical for the sake of being nonsensical, the Pillows were underused, the sound mixing sucked, and the worst part is was that even the visuals were dogshit.

1/10, competing with Darling in the FranXX for worst anime of all time.
Dec 10, 2018 6:12 PM

May 2012
Glad to actually see a subbed release for this, the compilation to this in form of a movie doesn't make much sense if you don't have smooth transitions between the episodes. At least I thought and hoped they did a better job on that part.

Besides that this FLCL is quite different to what I was expecting and also first was very hyped about when this was announced. Still a bit sad that it was quite different than expected to be honest. It was still okay but it could've been a whole lot more to what the original FLCL had to offer.

Oh well all in all it was a fine ending!
Dec 17, 2018 6:53 PM

Oct 2016
I liked it a lot, sad not everyone felt the same way, but it's ok, it's not like I care if it goes well or not, I mean 3 seasons is enough, if people don't love it and they don't make more seasons I won't complain.

It was worth to wait for the subs, damn I hate dubs, can't believe everyone else just watched it like that (jk I managed to wait for the subs but I was tempted to watch it dubbed).

I liked a lot the parts where they used the original OST, and I loved playing those songs but damn they are good, you know they are when you listen to them by the 100th time and it still gives you the chills.

Some stuff I didn't understand, but I will prefer to wait for Alternative subbed, since I don't want to spoil me by accident.

No idea if I can post spoilers here, so I just restrain myself from asking what I didn't get.

Even tho I said I don't care if the anime is a success or it isn't, OF COURSE I DO, damn I just don't get all the dumb reasons people use to say it's a trash anime. There are A LOT of trash animes, so you can say it's not a masterpiece or better than the original, but do you have to call it a 1/10 instead of just saying it was fine? "It's a sequel that never should have happened" I was so hyped when it was announced, I was really hyped when i finally saw the trailer, I was kind of sad to see the dubbed being release first, BUT I WAS FILLED WITH JOY WHEN I SAW IT AS A SUBBED MOVIE. And I waited like 3 weeks to finally watch it cause of damn exams. So yeah, i waited a lot to see it, and it was worth the wait tbh, like that scumbag says, DUB ON THE HATERS. If you ain't like it, fine, but some people did like it, so could you stop saying it's trash? That is just like saying no one should watch it, cause it gives it bad fame, and some might enjoy it. Just say "it's trash.....in my opinion" lmao
Dec 20, 2018 10:33 AM

Jul 2012
Finally watched the movie, obv was waiting for subs, dubs are just not my thing (i'll put it that way). Liked the original so was quite interested in continuation. It was pretty entertaining, but really weird, well the whole series is. Sometimes it was really hard to follow, the story felt a bit lucklaster, wasn't a fan of new characters. Haruko was this time a little bit of a villain it felt like.
Not much for comedy, Hidomi's change of personality in her dreams were pretty funny.
Well it was decent, i enjoyed it. Waiting for subs for Alternative. Overall 5/10 - lowered it after watching Alternative, this one felt much more worse.
allenjkeDec 30, 2018 6:25 AM
Apr 13, 2019 10:03 AM

Jun 2013
Very nonsense for me.
May 22, 2019 1:59 PM

Oct 2017
I thought it was alright, definitely not as good as the first FLCL. I actually enjoyed the cast of characters and wouldn't mind if they had a separate series on them.
Jun 27, 2019 12:06 PM

Jul 2013
My disappointment is immeasurable. This is one of those old masterpieces that absolutely didn't need a sequel. Now Adult Swim has tampered all over FLCL's legacy.

The animation sucked except for like 1 episode and the cast is just so boring. It's literally just 6 episodes and yet I kept waiting when it would end. I can't feel any chemistry or dynamic between the characters that's why I feel nothing towards the romance budding between Hidomi and Ide. The side characters are even worse especially Jinyu and some characters that make no sense like the plant girl.

My biggest grievance has to be Haruko. How the hell did they manage to make her so unlikable? In the original season, she was still a selfish deviant but she was actually an endearing character and had good qualities. This time she's absolutely just a massive piece of shit. She was an asshole throughout the whole season with no redeeming qualities.

It was nice listening to The Pillows again though. Great stuff as always.

Dull_LullJun 27, 2019 12:11 PM
Feb 8, 2020 6:31 AM

Mar 2013
It was definitely not a bad anime, but compared to the original looks more like a spin-off than a sequel
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Mar 7, 2020 2:33 PM

Aug 2008
I didn't find this to be outright terrible but compared to the fantastic original it is such a disappointment. Shallow in every way and nonsensical to boot seemingly for the sake of silly nonsense without the themes or interesting characters to hold it together. 5/10, really makes me wonder if I should bother with watching Alternative now.
Mar 20, 2020 6:58 PM

Aug 2017
This show is atrocious and the idea of somebody liking it or finding it "not that bad compared to the original" is just completely wild to me. It's so horrible on every level that it's not even worth starting to describe since it's blatantly obvious to anyone who paid attention to the original OVA and loved it. I can only wonder what the second sequel contains.

As a sidenote I'll just leave this rant here as it summarizes my feelings pretty well, although I have much more to complain about, literally every scene in the show, but it doesn't even deserve my time so I'll leave it as it is.
https://youtu.be/kEPiG9JkMxU
May 23, 2020 5:33 AM

Oct 2010
I just came here to say that in episode 3 when Raharu spiked the beachball, that was clearly an Attack No.1 reference, she said "attakku nanbaa ichi". I'm still perplexed as to why though?
Dec 23, 2020 2:13 PM

Mar 2020
Yall trippin for hating on this. Progressive is misunderstood, and while I agree that it's not as good as the original one, I think it's worthy of carrying the name of FLCL.

Some are saying that Progressive is just random and dumb, but wasn't the original FLCL also criticized for that back in the day?

My only nitpick with Progressive is that the fight scenes and the sakuga weren't as hype as they were in the original.

8/10 I don't wanna hear any more cap from yall

More topics from this board

Poll: » FLCL Progressive Episode 1 Discussion

matheoo41 - Sep 25, 2018

9 by Tico50 »»
Nov 12, 2023 5:49 PM

» What do I watch first: FLCL Progressive or Alternative?

laputia - Apr 11, 2020

8 by Wiziliz »»
Oct 15, 2023 4:21 PM

» I'm having a heart attack (jk)....Let's talk FLCL

kUshPandA_ENJOi - May 15, 2016

42 by Ashley___ »»
Sep 18, 2023 1:07 AM

» Why did the VA for Haruko change?

mechian - Jun 14, 2022

2 by TerraPlayer1 »»
Feb 24, 2023 1:07 PM

» Are season 2 and 3 worth seeing at all?

WildCardBevin - Nov 8, 2021

9 by fatbastard69 »»
Jun 11, 2022 3:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.